• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Capcom Profit Jumps 100%. MH4U at 3.9m worldwide"

wiibomb

I kind of wonder if X is even going to get more versions, or if it's just a stopgap for MH5
this is the most probable thing, MH5 should be announced for either 2016 or 2017, depends if MH Stories is considered the MH title of 2016

MHX is considere the "MH Portable" of this generation, they tipically have only one of those and not a G version

Hopefully they announce some new games soon and not just more remasters. Where the hell is RE7?
I know their MT Framework successor is apparently a complete disaster but a simple teaser would be enough for me. =(

Also glad to see RE6 so successful. It was a great game with some fantastic ideas. It just needed more polish.

Thanks Inafune.

to be fair to inafune, he was seeing the major shift in console interest and western development occur right before his eyes and was acting on it. And, in the end, he ended up being proven correct in regards to the decline in major japanese console development and a huge growth in western development.

And for every DmC out there (mind you, i think DmC is perfectly fine for what it is) where it appears he may have missed the point there's Dead Rising 2, a game that is better than its predecessor in almost every way except for a meh main character. And even Lost Planet 3 gets some love from folks and that came off of the major misstep of trying to MonHun Lost Planet 2.

So i dunno. I get what he was trying to do, even if he was going about it all wrong in regards to DmC.

AdaWong

RE6 still selling well after 3 years! Ada Wrong her impact!

RE6 taking that second place spot on the all time best selling list :p

Their site lists SF2 on third place so it's not a tie.

Holy shit! So it's:

1- RE5
2- RE6
3- SF2

Now?

Fuck yes! RE6 + RE5 + RE4 master race <3

Toxi

Banned
Monster Hunter 4G's sales are interesting because there's a serious drop compared to Portable 3rd in Japan, but it's not as bad when you count the rest of the world.

Xiao Hu

And here I thought Capcom was in the right direction to be acquired by Nintendo. At least they stick around a little bit longer.

wiibomb

Monster Hunter 4G's sales are interesting because there's a serious drop compared to Portable 3rd in Japan, but it's not as bad when you count the rest of the world.

MH4G is a lot less than MHP3rd because it is the same MH4 but with more content added (you could even transfer your save), much people just doesn't upgrade to that expanded content

MH4 sold more than 4 millions

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Vergil, I want to be able to play as Lady all the time in DMC5.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's also worth noting that while we dont have hard numbers for DMC4SE, it is featured in the financial report as a success, whereas DmCDE was not on Capcom's annual fiscal report for 2014.

And the DMC HD Collection getting 1 million and being featured in Capcom's platinum titles is a huge accomplishment for a remaster. It also boosts the sales of the classic series by a wide margin.

Curufinwe

the way sequels work is they are affected by the previous games outing. So, RE6 greatly benefited by RE5 having been critically and commercially successful. However, RE7 will pay for RE6's poor showing in the same way RE6 gained from RE5's reception.

So while RE7 will probably do alright, it has zero chance of being capcom's best selling game. RE6 cost it that.

I'd dial the odds up a few percent. If RE7 is a massive critical hit that could allow it to break away from the stigma of 6 in the wider public's mind.

Ushiwaka

dahbombsignalztj6e.png

lol.

DMC5 HYPEEEE

Besides Street Fighter IV, is Capcom actually going to be making anymore big-budget games? I did not know that there financial situation was THAT bad :(

TreIII

The decision to reboot probably set the franchise back half a decade.

See, this is where it gets interesting. With Itsuno busy with DD, it's very likely that if DmC didn't happen, we may not have gotten another game at all during that period, which may or may not have been even worse.

Scandals, backlash and in-fighting aside, DmC at least kept the franchise in the public consciousness for several more years after 4. And now, 4SE's success is basically like Coca Cola Classic's proud return after "New Coke" didn't set the world on fire.

Sephzilla

See, this is where it gets interesting. With Itsuno busy with DD, it's very likely that if DmC didn't happen, we may not have gotten another game at all during that period, which may or may not have been even worse.

Scandals, backlash and in-fighting aside, DmC at least kept the franchise in the public consciousness for several more years after 4. And now, 4SE's success is basically like Coca Cola Classic's proud return after "New Coke" didn't set the world on fire.

It's possible, but given that DMC4 was the best selling game in the franchise I don't think Capcom would have let the franchise sit idle for 8 years. At worst I think Itsuno would have split duties with DMC5 and DD, or they would have started work on DMC5 as work on DD started wrapping up - meaning we would have had DMC5 already. It's also entirely possible that we would have gotten DMC5 instead of Dragon's Dogma.

Portable 3rd was also the first third gen MH for many in japan since they didn't buy it on Wii.
charm_onlooker.gif

TreIII

It's possible, but given that DMC4 was the best selling game in the franchise I don't think Capcom would have let the franchise sit idle for 8 years. At worst I think Itsuno would have split duties with DMC5 and DD, or they would have started work on DMC5 as work on DD started wrapping up - meaning we would have had DMC5 already. It's also entirely possible that we would have gotten DMC5 instead of Dragon's Dogma.

True, indeed. But in any case, Capcom, just like so many other JP companies, had a lot of hard lessons to learn last generation, so I think the whole DMC/DmC episode was just one of many such lessons.

For all we know, letting Itsuno take a breather from the franchise was the best outcome we could have hoped for by the time he was ready to come back to it, now. I still do believe that a post-DD Itsuno will make a DMC5 that won't be just a "nominal upgrade" over DMC4. And that's perhaps what excites me the most of what a sequel can bring.

I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to reboot. I never knew that DMC4 was successful

As much as I disagree with what DmC actually was, the idea probably sounded good on paper.

Western games started dominating the industry, Japanese games were falling out of favor in the biggest markets, and DMC4 ended up putting a significant strain on Capcom's internal resources, resulting in a less-than-complete game. Outsourcing to a developer who has made two HD games already similar in scope to DMC4 made sense. On paper.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
A key contributor to Capcom's success in the quarter was Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, which the company said "sold well," with the majority of units sold digitally.

Amazing, astounding, glorious digital success story! Only, wasn't the game only available in the US digitally? lol

Nice try Capcom. Physical still trumps digital.

I had to import to get the disc version.

I-hate-u

&#332;kami;173511138 said:
This is what some Capcom title shipped in the last quarter

Devil May Cry HD Collection sold a total of 1m.

159.gif

I guess that is true. Can't think of too many collections from last gen doing more than around that.

GoW collection did something like 2.4 million in less that 3 years. It was the game that started the HD collection trend, and reaped the most from it.

Top Bottom