• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - I Can Handle Bloodborne DLC and Dark Souls 3 Simultaneously, says Miyazaki

Kyuur

Earning satisfaction should come when YOU improve your own skill, not because stats.

The difference, is your starting armor is enough for the start of the game, when you get better armor and higher poise, is because the enemies are stronger. Is the basis of the RPG, you get stronger at the same time your enemies. You play the same way with started armor than with later armor, just better prepared for more stronger foes. Exactly the same with the initial spells and weapons other classes get.

The ADP you get at the start of the game, is not enough if you rely in the way the series played since it's inception. You don't get the satisfaction of getting more ADP, because until you get enough you are walking a path of frustration and artificial difficulty. You don't even play in the same way until you do so, so is even totally pointless...

Believe it or not, people get satisfaction from different things. I definitely get satisfaction from both the core gameplay in Souls and planning out a build around stat limitations, and seeing that build in action. You don't get to tell people what they should enjoy.

The starter ADP is more than enough if you've played defensively with shield and heavy armour the entire time. Bloodborne destroys that play style in favour of dodging and aggressiveness. It's not a bad thing that each game makes minor adjustments that change how you play.

"Actually, [Yui] Tanimura-san, the director of Dark Souls 2, has already joined the [Dark Souls 3] team, which will allow me to work on core gameplay design while other things are taken care of."

Oh no.

"As long as I am listed as game director on the end credits, there’s a certain level of quality the game needs to meet. I can guarantee that the game quality will reach that."

Oh yes.

If they hold this quality level, I will never lose interest in Souls games.

It is an event when a souls games out and you and the community trying to solve all the secrets the game has and even now we find new stuff in demon's and dark souls.
No game has brought me this feeling.

Believe it or not, people get satisfaction from different things. I definitely get satisfaction from both the core gameplay in Souls and planning out a build around stat limitations, and seeing that build in action. You don't get to tell people what they should enjoy.

The starter ADP is more than enough if you've played defensively with shield and heavy armour the entire time. Bloodborne destroys that play style in favour of dodging and aggressiveness. It's not a bad thing that each game makes minor adjustments that change how you play.

You don't get to tell people what they should enjoy.

The starter ADP is more than enough if you've played defensively with shield and heavy armour the entire time.

lQjIzDr.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It doesnt do this, it punishes more skilled players.

So making no armor/no shield builds require leveling up a stat, discourages tank builds?

How does leveling up a stat to make it possible to dodge, make you feel smart?

You never seem to have any argument

What?

Its already been established that SL1 wins are possible. So if you struggle with it, maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

You can always dodge, ADP doesnt change the size of the hitboxes or the behaviour of the enemy, it simply adds more I-frames making avoiding strikes more forgiving.

If the initial config is too stringent, tighten up your timing or do what the rest of the player-base does and put some points into the stat that relaxes it.

Same as if fights are taking too long and placing you in harms way for an uncomfortable period, increase your DPS by loading up on the stat the influences the damage output of your weapon!

Honestly, that "punishes more skilled players" line...

Neiteio

Awesome - you basically answered all my questions before I asked them! XD

Just one thing: I thought blocking with your shield was one of the main differences between BB ans DS? Shouldn't I learn to block instead of modifying the game to play more like BB?

Or is blocking not a big mechanic in DS2?
You can play DS2 in countless different ways.

Here's what I'd recommend to you, based on how your previous Souls experience is Bloodborne:

1) When exploring a level, wear armor and use a shield. Cautiously approach each enemy. Be prepared for more enemies to wake up or come out of hiding once the fighting starts. Try to draw enemies away, or use the environment to separate them. Use your shield to block their hits and feel out their moveset, or bait them into attacking and roll back and watch the cooldown on their attacks. This way you can learn when they're vulnerable and punish them.

2) When fighting a boss, it might help to take off your armor and focus on rolling at the enemy when the enemy tries to attack. With the early bosses, this will allow you to dodge most of their attacks. Also note the difference in healing: Your equivalent of a blood vial, the Estus Flask, only has one charge at first, so you'll mainly heal with life gems; when you use a life gem, you start to heal slowly. So when you've been hit by an attack, it's smart to either roll out of the enemy's range, or bait another attack so they cooldown — then you can use a life gem in relative safety.

3) Your ability to dodge is incredibly limited at the start. By leveling up Adaptability, your Agility stat will increase (I think Adaptability is denoted as ADP, and Agility is denoted as AGL — you'll see AGL go up as you increase ADP). Once your Agility is around 100, your dodging should be about on par with Bloodborne (when you're not wearing armor and your equip load is low, I mean — see #4). Until then, you'll have to be much more cautious than you ever were in BB.

4) Equip load is a big difference from Bloodborne. The more armor you wear or weapons you equip, the heavier you are and the slower you'll roll. That's why I recommend taking off all non-essential gear during boss fights. As a BB vet, you'll find it easier, I think.

And like I said, if you find yourself with enough souls to level up seven times (which will often happen after a boss battle), I recommend 2-3 points in Adaptability, and then one point per other stats you want to improve. Note that "Vigor" improves your equip load, allowing you to wear more armor and equip more weapons without slowing down. "Vitality" is your max HP.

OH! And also note your max HP is slightly reduced each time you die, but you restore your max HP when you use an item called the Human Effigy (used as a normal item -- burning it at a bonfire has a different effect).

Neoweee

Awesome - you basically answered all my questions before I asked them! XD

Just one thing: I thought blocking with your shield was one of the main differences between BB ans DS? Shouldn't I learn to block instead of modifying the game to play more like BB?

Or is blocking not a big mechanic in DS2?

It is a big mechanic, but it is slightly weaker than it was in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Namely, it takes a little bit higher stats to use a 100% reduction shield, and a little bit more demanding on your stats to block many attacks in a row.

What?

Its already been established that SL1 wins are possible. So if you struggle with it, maybe you aren't as good as you think you are.

You can always dodge, ADP doesnt change the size of the hitboxes or the behaviour of the enemy, it simply adds more I-frames making avoiding strikes more forgiving.

I've beaten every souls game on challenge runs ranging from sl1-ENB challenges-Ladle only, i'm pretty comfortable with my skill level.
You dont seem to grasp the concept of a frame trap, dodging a single attack is never impossible, dodging stuff like a throne duo double attack has IMPOSSIBLE to dodge frame traps.
The only way to get better at avoiding frame traps is to level ADP so you have the iframes to do so

gunstarhero

You can play DS2 in countless different ways.

Here's what I'd recommend to you, based on how your previous Souls experience is Bloodborne:

1) When exploring a level, wear armor and use a shield. Cautiously approach each enemy. Be prepared for more enemies to wake up or come out of hiding once the fighting starts. Try to draw enemies away, or use the environment to separate them. Use your shield to block their hits and feel out their moveset, or bait them into attacking and roll back and watch the cooldown on their attacks. This way you can learn when they're vulnerable and punish them.

2) When fighting a boss, it might help to take off your armor and focus on rolling at the enemy when the enemy tries to attack. With the early bosses, this will allow you to dodge most of their attacks. Also note the difference in healing: Your equivalent of a blood vial, the Estus Flask, only has one charge at first, so you'll mainly heal with life gems; when you use a life gem, you start to heal slowly. So when you've been hit by an attack, it's smart to either roll out of the enemy's range, or bait another attack so they cooldown — then you can use a life gem in relative safety.

3) Your ability to dodge is incredibly limited at the start. By leveling up Adaptability, your Agility stat will increase (I think Adaptability is denoted as ADP, and Agility is denoted as AGL — you'll see AGL go up as you increase ADP). Once your Agility is around 100, your dodging should be about on par with Bloodborne (when you're not wearing armor and your equip load is low, I mean — see #4). Until then, you'll have to be much more cautious than you ever were in BB.

4) Equip load is a big difference from Bloodborne. The more armor you wear or weapons you equip, the heavier you are and the slower you'll roll. That's why I recommend taking off all non-essential gear during boss fights. As a BB vet, you'll find it easier, I think.

And like I said, if you find yourself with enough souls to level up seven times (which will often happen after a boss battle), I recommend 2-3 points in Adaptability, and then one point per other stats you want to improve. Note that "Vigor" improves your equip load, allowing you to wear more armor and equip more weapons without slowing down. "Vitality" is your max HP.

OH! And also note your max HP is slightly reduced each time you die, but you restore your max HP when you use an item called the Human Effigy (used as a normal item -- burning it at a bonfire has a different effect).

Thanks! Off to pick this up now 👍🏻

Nesther

I ended up turtling my way through the original DS2 because I found the dodge to be useless, just recently found out about ADP.

Now I'm doing a Dual Caestus run in SotFS and it's pretty fun.

Excited for DS3, gonna stick with a speedy character.

Redrop

I've beaten every souls game on challenge runs ranging from sl1-ENB challenges-Ladle only, i'm pretty comfortable with my skill level.
You dont seem to grasp the concept of a frame trap, dodging a single attack is never impossible, dodging stuff like a throne duo double attack has IMPOSSIBLE to dodge frame traps.
The only way to get better at avoiding frame traps is to level ADP so you have the iframes to do so

Then don't position yourself in these situations? Lower the equip weight of your roll so your roll farther away from their attacks. Positioning is more important in that fight than iframes lol (and stamina management, as per usual).

And no, the way to avoid frame traps IS TO NOT GET IN THEM. Unless the Throne Watcher/Defender locked you into a square with just enough wiggle room to fit all three of you, there's plenty of ways you can dodge them in the already above average arena that is the Throne of Want.

Top Bottom