• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

Amir0x

Banned
DSN2K said:
yes to consider if a game is fun while rating it is pathetic...

see the problem with it is the implication that the other systems don't have "fun" as a key component. Which is, by even the most staunch fantard's perspective, ridiculous. All systems have fun as a key component, and you rate it with that in mind. But they also have other aspects that contribute or distract from these aspects, and they also get even call

I have no choice but to buy the Wii, since I purchased a few games for it last night (opened them, too, just to drool over the manuals). Were that not the case, I would have used the money to purchase a DS and some games.

Nintendo seriously dropped the ball for this launch. Aside from Zelda: TTP, originally a Game cube game, they failed to launch their next-generation machine with a single AAA quality title, and what’s worse, an AAA title built from the ground up on the Wii won’t be released till probably after Q1 of 2007. How the **** does that happen? How do you launch a system without a strong, solid title built specifically for your next-gen machine??

Nintendo did it last gen, too. Luigi’s Mansion? **** outta here. But at least there was Super Smash Brothers: Melee to keep us happy during the snowy months.

Look at the DS. When it was first released, it came out with friggin’ Mario 64. The system saw its boost only after the release of Nintendogs and Brain Age. Why couldn’t Nintendo have released the Wii with console equivalent games that are just as innovative and appealing?

Nintendo hasn’t learned its lesson.

NintendosBooger said:
Nintendo seriously dropped the ball for this launch. Aside from Zelda: TTP, originally a Game cube game, they failed to launch their next-generation machine with a single AAA quality title, and what’s worse, an AAA title built from the ground up on the Wii won’t be released till probably after Q1 of 2007. How the **** does that happen? How do you launch a system without a strong, solid title built specifically for your next-gen machine??

So, when you discount the AAA quality they DID release, it turns out that they launched without a single AAA quality title? Nice one.

Look at the DS. When it was first released, it came out with friggin’ Mario 64. The system saw its boost only after the release of Nintendogs and Brain Age. Why couldn’t Nintendo have released the Wii with console equivalent games that are just as innovative and appealing?

Can't believe you list Brain Age & Nintendogs then ignore the "console equivalent" of Wii Sports...

Cosmonaut X said:
So, when you discount the AAA quality they DID release, it turns out that they launched without a single AAA quality title? Nice one.

Can't believe you list Brain Age & Nintendogs then ignore the "console equivalent" of Wii Sports...

1.) That AAA title was for a previous system. How does that count, really? There's no excuse, none, to release a system without an AAA game built specifically for that system.

2.) Brain Age and Nintendogs were full, independent titles, not mini games with the sole purpose of getting new gamers accustomed to the Wii's controls.

kojacker

NintendosBooger said:
I have no choice but to buy the Wii...
*rolleyes.gif* Ofcourse you do, and anyways nothing has changed about the Wii since last night. I'm sure whatever reason you decided o buy one is still valid. You'll no doubt get your moneys worth from the machine.
They never do and they never will. This is why they frustrate and delight us in equal measures.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
That other perspective from teh UK guy was interesting to me.

I don't know about anybody else, but I find game reviews to be VERY similar to movie reviews. All too often, they either nail it or completely miss it. "It" being the point. In either case, bad reviews will NEVER stop me from seeing a movie that I'm interested in or playing/purchasing a game that I think looks like fun.

However, I would say the opposite is true for good reviews. A good review for a game/movie that I wasn't previously interested in can motivate me to consider a rental or in the case of a movie, a "dollar show."

My last point: I will never let a bad review stop me from pursuing that which I find interesting. Like bad kung-fu movies, or the stupid good cop/bad cop parings from the late 80s/early 90s...some really bad stuff is really important to me and I actually really enjoyed it. Like Home Alone 2, The Best of the Best, and Predator 2, some really bad movies can make for a great time. Maybe it will be the same with this game.

At least I'll try it before lambasting it, though.

NintendosBooger said:
1.) That AAA title was for a previous system. How does that count, really? There's no excuse, none, to release a system without an AAA game built specifically for that system.

Uh, it counts because it is a AAA launch title, in spite of its origins, and it has been rebuilt to make use of the features of the new system.

2.) Brain Age and Nintendogs were full, independent titles, not mini games with the sole purpose of getting new gamers accustomed to the Wii's controls.

Well, from what I've seen Wii Sports boasts at least the same kind of depth Nintendogs & Brain Age do. If you're happy to count them as full games then I'd argue that Wii Sports should be counted as a "full, independent title" as well.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
NintendosBooger said:
I have no choice but to buy the Wii, since I purchased a few games for it last night (opened them, too, just to drool over the manuals). Were that not the case, I would have used the money to purchase a DS and some games.

Nintendo did it last gen, too. Luigi’s Mansion? **** outta here. But at least there was Super Smash Brothers: Melee to keep us happy during the snowy months.

I read a gamefaqs thread that clearly explained how you are misguided.

EAJAPAN

Kasavin just sent me an email saying that he forgot to put up the last bit of his review -

Gameplay 5
Graphics 6
Sound 7
Value 6
Tilt 5
Fun 10 GOTY

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeah, that was an awesome video review that helped put lots into perspective:

Graphics: "All over the place" from best looking Wii visuals to GameCube class boxy stuff. And the character models are awful generic

Sound: Awesome musical Score. Awful voice acting.

Controls: Steep learning curve. Swordplay only about 20% of the game and neither that nor the gunplay seems fully realized.

So yeah, it's definately not a good first try on the Wii for Ubisoft. They better fix their act if they make a sequel somehow.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
Yeah, that was an awesome video review that helped put lots into perspective:

Graphics: "All over the place" from best looking Wii visuals to GameCube class boxy stuff. And the character models are awful generic

Sound: Awesome musical Score. Awful voice acting.

Controls: Steep learning curve. Swordplay only about 20% of the game and neither that nor the gunplay seems fully realized.

So yeah, it's definately not a good first try on the Wii for Ubisoft. They better fix their act if they make a sequel somehow.

To be fair, there was a lot of good things said in the review. It seems like it will be a fun little game, but not the epic FPS that I was hoping for. Still, the Gamespot review made it seem completely broken, but after watching this, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll still pick it up, and yes, there will be a sequel cause it's going to sell a ton of copies.

JavyOO7

NintendosBooger said:

Alot of truth in this post.

But hey, as you said, its launch. Even VC games don't excuse this launch. I'm not saying these titles propel Wii to the best launch ever, but...

Twilight Princess
Rayman RR
Trauma Center
SMB: BB
and maybe Excite Truck

Save the launch from LOLworthy to merely "ok".

...and why don't you have a DS? Get New Super Mario Bros, foo.

ivysaur12

Banned
Even then, having Zelda, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, and Rayman make it a launch better than most. Even games like Call of Duty 3 and Madden 07 seem to be extremely fun and refreshing on the Wii. And even Red Steel could turn out to be a very fun game (The GameTrailers review and Gamespot reviews are very different. Another review or two and we'll see who's in the minority). Seriously though, that's a better launch than most launches.

bigNman

don't know if this has been picked up on in GAF, but i'll post this link anyway.

It is from Gamefaqs, before i'm shot down it is highly relevant, as the guy who started the topic is a staff member from the Official Nintendo Magazine in the UK
ONM have been pimping this game for the last 6 months so they are never going to give it a low score.

Good GameTrailers review, highlighting the key good & bad points of the title and giving it what seems to be - from the previews & vids I've seen - a reasonable score. I suspect GameSpot's 5.5 is going to be an outlier, and most scores are going to come in in the 7-9 range, depending on the publication and the reviewer.

jett

D-Member
Cosmonaut X said:
Good GameTrailers review, highlighting the key good & bad points of the title and giving it what seems to be - from the previews & vids I've seen - a reasonable score. I suspect GameSpot's 5.5 is going to be an outlier, and most scores are going to come in in the 7-9 range, depending on the publication and the reviewer.

Well, EDGE gave it a 5, so right now Gamespot isn't looking too much like an outlier. And there's quite a difference between a 7 and a 9 when it comes to game reviews. :p

Come on people, you can't honestly tell me Red Steel looked like a good game from the videos that are out there. Imagine if it was on PS2(and it so easily could be), you wouldn't give two shits about it. Nobody would.

Lobster

Banned
This game seems to be getting a lot of different opinions..They say graphics suck but watching the IGN videos..I love em.

I think this game should have 2 people reviewing on the same site as a different opinion. It seems like a game that requires you to have a certain liking that this game has. To me..the art style is great. Explosions are awesome. Textures look lovely and overall the game looks awesome. I just know that it doesn't look crap..I've been watching videos of this game at IGN and honestly..It looks great.

Im picking it up no matter what.

jett said:
Well, EDGE gave it a 5, so right now Gamespot isn't looking too much like an outlier. And there's quite a difference between a 7 and a 9 when it comes to game reviews. :p

Did they? Sorry - hadn't read the whole thread yet. If Edge did give it a 5, that carries a bit more weight with me than GameSpot's score - Edge can be damn harsh, but not without basis.

Come on people, you can't honestly tell me Red Steel looked like a good game from the videos that are out there. Imagine if it was on PS2(and it so easily could be), you wouldn't give two shits about it. Nobody would.

It looks to me like it could be fun enough, even if it's not the storming FPS Ubi promised and a lot of people hoped for. I'm not expecting as much out of it as I was several months back, but it's still - to me, anyway - worth a look. If it really does turn out to be a stinker I can always get a good chunk of my cash back by turning it around on eBay, but I'm happy to give it a crack.

jett

D-Member
Cosmonaut X said:
Did they? Sorry - hadn't read the whole thread yet. If Edge did give it a 5, that carries a bit more weight with me than GameSpot's score - Edge can be damn harsh, but not without basis.

It looks to me like it could be fun enough, even if it's not the storming FPS Ubi promised and a lot of people hoped for. I'm not expecting as much out of it as I was several months back, but it's still - to me, anyway - worth a look. If it really does turn out to be a stinker I can always get a good chunk of my cash back by turning it around on eBay, but I'm happy to give it a crack.

Fair enough.

JavyOO7 said:
Alot of truth in this post.

But hey, as you said, its launch. Even VC games don't excuse this launch. I'm not saying these titles propel Wii to the best launch ever, but...

Twilight Princess
Rayman RR
Trauma Center
SMB: BB
and maybe Excite Truck

Save the launch from LOLworthy to merely "ok".

...and why don't you have a DS? Get New Super Mario Bros, foo.

Twilight Princess supposidly trumps OOT and is the best Zelda game ever. I don't see how you can call the launch merely 'ok'.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sucks, I really had high hopes for this game. The dev team seemed real excited to be working on it. I guess they had to rush it out.

I'm a little annoyed that Wiimote can potentially ruin games because of controls as well as enhancing others. I just figured if Nintendo is gonna bet the house on this thing that they wouldnt let games with shitty controls out the door.

That said I hope it sells well just so that it can prove to 3rd parties that more "mature" games can be successful on the wii.

Rayman FTW!

ethelred

BlindN-Fan said:
CVG red steel
8.00000!!!!!!

Ok. Im seeing the average of 70%-80%

And I'm seeing the larger sites averaging 50%.

But if you want to remain, er, blind, have at it.

underfooter said:
Twilight Princess supposidly trumps OOT and is the best Zelda game ever. I don't see how you can call the launch merely 'ok'.

Correct. The launch is definitely above okay status with Twilight Princess as the flagship title supported by several games averaging over 80% on GameRankings (such as Trauma Center and Rayman: Raving Rabbids) and one game that should be but isn't quite yet (Super Monkey Ball).

Doc Holliday said:
Sucks, I really had high hopes for this game. The dev team seemed real excited to be working on it. I guess they had to rush it out.

I'm a little annoyed that Wiimote can potentially ruin games because of controls as well as enhancing others. I just figured if Nintendo is gonna bet the house on this thing that they wouldnt let games with shitty controls out the door.

That said I hope it sells well just so that it can prove to 3rd parties that more "mature" games can be successful on the wii.

Rayman FTW!

Yeah, it is a shame, because as you said, the dev team did seem genuinely excited. Hopefully they'll get to take another crack at the system on a new project, hopefully they'll get more time (and testing) to get it right, and hopefully they'll put their experience (and the mistakes they made) to use.

It would be nice to see a mature, third party game sell well for the system, but I'd rather see good games sell well.

Lobster

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm not:lol
ethelred said:
And I'm seeing the larger sites averaging 50%.

But if you want to remain, er, blind, have at it.
Its actually a pretty good review. It just doesn't act as if its supposed to be a 2nd gen Wii game.

But then again..Why am I telling you this..Its not like you're gonna read the review anyway..

ethelred

BlindN-Fan said:
Its actually a pretty good review. It just doesn't act as if its supposed to be a 2nd gen Wii game.

But then again..Why am I telling you this..Its not like you're gonna read the review anyway..

True... I'm such a Nintendo troll. I can't help myself.

Doc Holliday said:

...and they're not. Ubisoft, however, are a third party and can ship whatever the **** they want, complete with whatever bugs or control issues they see fit.

And of course the Wiimote can ruin a game with bad controls - it's not magic, and as with any other controller a bad implementation of a control scheme can kill a game. Done right, however, it seems to me that it has a lot more potential than standard pads.

was I the only one here who thought Red Steel was goign to bomb since E3?
The problem with Red Steel was that it never convinced me then and I was a super skeptic.
The moment of truth is here, and my skepticism has predicted the bomb that won't convince

-for sword slashes, you must input a swipe, but the problem is that the in game sword reacts only after you Wiimote slash has finished the line of the swipe. So the game sword slash will always be delayed from your real life Wiimote arm actions... killing off any sense of real time control.

that alone made me a big skeptic about this since then, and here it is

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ethelred said:
True... I'm such a Nintendo troll. I can't help myself.

I read your posts in the Nintendo release Q1 thread, you troll. You can't fool me. Troll.

Why don't you go troll Nintendo while playing Fire Emblem on your Sony Playstation 3, troll. God, what a troll. Do you guys see this guy?

Ark-AMN

Banned
I think Ubisoft's Montreal team should work on the next Wii game instead of the French team. And man, the story really really is hammy, did these French guys even try to learn about Japan before making this game, or did they base everything off of stereotypes?

Lobster

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
I think Ubisoft's Montreal team should work on the next Wii game instead of the French team. And man, the story really really is hammy, did these French guys even try to learn about Japan before making this game, or did they base everything off of stereotypes?

I think they watched Tokyo Drift.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I have so much respect for gamespot now, i used to think they were totally against the xbox last gen but it seems they love to hate everything now.

Lobster

Banned
Ryudo said:
I have so much respect for gamespot now, i used to think they were totally against the xbox last gen but it seems they love to hate everything now.

Nah. Not everything. Last year it was Xbox. This years its Wii.

Top Bottom