• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

Amir0x said:
People joke about Denis, because he actually came around here for a while and could dish dirt with us. And Denis lost a lot of weight for a minute, so that's why it became a topic - it was relevant, and it wasn't used to ****ing discredit all his work and everything he has ever done. So if he personally found it offending, even in that context, we would have cleaned it up. However, even in that case it's not entirely kosher... and I can tell you that although I've made a few Denis Dyack jokes, they're just JOKES. They're not seriously trying to INSULT the guy, as it's clear that many, many Nintendo fans were.

LOOK at the type of garbage flung OVER A REVIEW:

castle007 - (1)
bigmakstudios - (1)
Mashing - (1)
starship - (1)
Faux - (1)
Docpan - (1)
Saoh - (1)
Alkaliine - (1, 2)

I just did some bannings, so, in the future any sort of bullshit like we had in that Gamespot thread... well I can't speak for the other mods, but I'm gonna be watching closely because it's ridiculous and shows a serious need to grow up. Read the above comments and understand what is crossing the line, and re-read the TOS if you must - knowingly posting defamatory and abusive stuff like that is clearly crossing the line.

Well I certainly didn't remember the reactions to be this violent
emotraisedd2.gif
. The emphasis put on the "fatty fat fat !" aspect of the attacks led me to think that these was comparable to the Dyack jokes festival, while it's apparently not. Truly awful.

Alex

I don't know Ami, I mean, it was a whole 0.7 lower than IGN. Personally, it has ruined my life I'm now homeless and all my hair fell out. I'm posting from an alleyway on a makeshift PC formed out of trash cans, coke bottles and wire coat hangers.

I was expecting this. Months passed with this game showing no progression at all gameplay wise. Every damn video looked really boring, like a glorified light gun game.

Far Cry Vengeance and COD3(especially) look much more entertaining.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaC said:
gerstmann said on the podcast that he docked the score for sound because of the horrible wiimote speaker. So yes.
I stand corrected then.

I can't speak on this until I play it myself, though. I've heard the speaker with Excite Truck, though, and it sounded like garbage. I think it adds nothing and could possibly annoy me in the long run.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
I stand corrected then.

I can't speak on this until I play it myself, though. I've heard the speaker with Excite Truck, though, and it sounded like garbage. I think it adds nothing and could possibly annoy me in the long run.

Same here. It's SO poor quality that it actually distracts from the immersiveness. I honestly can't see me wanting to use it in all but those few cases where it is used to contribute to gameplay (like the Red Steel multiplayer mode). It's Hallmark card quality, and as I have a good sound system it's pure throwaway

Mifune said:
Oh my god.

And I thought the constant cries of bias in the Resistance and Gears review threads were bad.

That's the thing here, it usually takes idiots from both sides to get those review threads going, whereas Nintendo fans pull this off without any real assistance. All they need is a rallying cry (that is to say, someone posting review scores that do not correspond with their internal teachings) and something they can use to label an opinion worthless (appearantly, weight is such a thing), and off they go.

As for the review, it's a shame that the concept wasn't realized. Technically, sword fighting on the Wii should be awesome, right? Not that I ever expected Ubi to put all that much work into this title, but still.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys have really lost it.

For weeks now people have been saying that this game has problems (with a few dissenting voices), Gamespot's score comes back indicating that--and keep in mind they are usually the toughest critics-- and you want to burn them.

Great.

And I see why Ubi held this game back. SUCKS I ALREADY BOUGHT THIS POS. :D

SantaC

dark10x said:
I stand corrected then.

he didn't say right out that he docked for it, but he complained at it, so it means that he docked for it afterall. I mean a 7 is sound for zelda is bad.

rubso

Banned
every time i watch a Red Steel Video Demo, i remember the game "Trespasser" for the PC, and still i don't know if I'm getting my Wii with Red Steel or not.
trespass_screen004.jpg

199105_pc.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaC said:
he didn't say right out that he docked for it, but he complained at it, so it means that he docked for it afterall. I mean a 7 is sound for zelda is bad.
I dunno, it doesn't seem to be much of a leap beyond Wind Waker. I dunno about you, but I'd award WW a solid 3/10 for audio. I hated it THAT much (one of the worst soundtracks I've heard this side of Jak and Daxter). It seems that the actual tunes in TP are better this time around (not necessarily all of them, though, from what I've heard) and the quality is just as low. A 7 for sound seems generous to me.

God I hate gaf sometimes. Now all of a sudden Nintendo fanboys are the worst fanboys of all fanboys, because of the reactions in that thread from a few people. Personal insults are spouted every day here at gaf, by people with every possible preference or bias. The fact that these insults where allocated in one thread makes it more easy to select the bans, but it doesn't mean ban-worthy insults only happen in Nintendo-related threads. And it's also very obvious how it are not-so-pro-nintendo people that are encouraging Amirox to go on the ban tour.

There's only black or white on gaf, nothing in between. Bah.

Amir0x

Banned
Souldriver said:
God I hate gaf sometimes. Now all of a sudden Nintendo fanboys are the worst fanboys of all fanboys, because of the reactions in that thread from a few people. Personal insults are spouted every day here at gaf, by people with every possible preference or bias. The fact that these insults where allocated in one thread makes it more easy to select the bans, but it doesn't mean ban-worthy insults only happen in Nintendo-related threads. And it's also very obvious how it are not-so-pro-nintendo people that are encouraging Amirox to go on the ban tour.

I'm sorry, I've been watching the Gears of War review threads, I've been watching Resistance review threads. Some of them got locked because of the idiotic behavior. Some people were banned in those threads for various reasons. Check if you don't believe me.

But out of EVERY review thread I've read in this cluster**** of a launch period, nothing even approached the vile nature of that pathetic Gamespot Zelda review thread. This is not even remotely arguable. There are people that should just legitimately be ashamed, and their bans were well deserved. And I was even being nice and giving them a very limited amount of time, so really they should be thankful.

SantaC

dark10x said:
I dunno, it doesn't seem to be much of a leap beyond Wind Waker. I dunno about you, but I'd award WW a solid 3/10 for audio. I hated it THAT much (one of the worst soundtracks I've heard this side of Jak and Daxter). It seems that the actual tunes in TP are better this time around (not necessarily all of them, though, from what I've heard) and the quality is just as low. A 7 for sound seems generous to me.

I heard the composition is atleast better than wind waker.

Insertia

jett said:
Anyone that wasn't blind could tell this was the road Red Steel was going.

beat me to it.

What were Wii fans expecting? 9.0's? Going by previews and impressions it was bound to be a below average shooter at most.

dark10x said:
I stand corrected then.

IIRC, Excite Truck is supposed to be the worst implementation of the speaker - it plays back truck explosion noises, which just seems bizarre. Midna speaking to you through the speaker seems to be a far better use of the device, as do Red Steel's target messages. Used tastefully & intelligently it could be an interesting extra feature, but if it's just used for playing back samples that should be coming through the TV speakers then it's going to be pointless and irritating.

Ikael

Why people are reacting so much violently to this:

- Excesive hype. Not too much to explain. But I bet that if this game wouldn't had been touted as the ultimate Nintendo's 3rd party exclusive flagship either: a) people wouldn't be overreacting b) Gamespot wouldn't have scored it so much lower

- This game not being what everyne expected to be. While I really like the idea of a "time crisis FPS" as Kobun described it, people that expected to be the perfect blending between swordfighting and FPSs plus a graphical showdown.

- And let's be honest, Gamespot's credibility was already heavily damaged before that score came in, specially when it comes to Wii titles (the wiisports preview / video, the Zelda's review, the constanc complaining about graphics and comparation with the ones of the PS3 / 360, etc).

So, while the complaints and reactions have been deplorable, they are understandable. I really wonder how would any other fanbase react if an equivalent to this would have happened with another system.

jett said:
Anyone that wasn't blind could tell this was the road Red Steel was going.
Insertia said:
beat me to it.
:lol The two biggest Sony fans knew Red Steel was going to be shit all along. I guess we should have seen it coming ever since it was announced for a non-Playstation platform after all.

Insertia

Mr. TV Goggles said:
:lol The two biggest Sony fans knew Red Steel was going to be shit all along. I guess we should have seen it coming ever since it was announced for a non-Playstation platform after all.

exactly.

Amir0x

Banned
Ikael said:
So, while the complaints and reactions have been deplorable, they are understandable. I really wonder how would any other fanbase react if an equivalent to this would have happened with another system.

no i'm sorry saying "GERSTMANN YOU FAT **** GO DIE IN A FIRE BECAUSE YOU HAVE A REVIEW THAT DOESN'T JIVE WITH MY PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE" is NOT understandable, the same as it's deplorable.

It's also not acceptable.

jett

D-Member

Gamespot gave MGS3 a 8.7...less than TP. And nobody reacted like the douches in the TP thread. And the thread only made 4 pages. The reaction is indefensible.

Mr. TV Goggles said:

Nah, you should've seen it coming because it looked liked unplayable ass in mostly every video. :p

BTW - any other reviews in for this yet?

Also worth pointing out that this game is still likely to perform well given its prominence and position at launch, so I'd imagine Ubi's investment is going to pay off, regardless of any reviews.

shpankey

not an idiot
Burai said:
Is this how the NDF will damage control bad reviews now?

Gamespot: "The game is rushed and buggy and the sword fighting just doesn't work."

NDF: "OMG!!! GRAPHIX WHORES!!!! DON'T UNDERSTAND THE WII PHILOSOPHY!!!!"
:lol

About halfway through the Twilight Princess Gamespot review thread, I couldn't tell if I wanted to laugh or cry.

I think someone near the tail-end of the thread summed it up best:

"This thread makes me feel ashamed to be a Nintendo fan."

Y2Kevbug11 said:
12 million dollars....wow.
They lied. There's really no way it can cost 12 million dollars when you work on a game for a year and a half, for a platform that's incredibly easy to develop for and when the game is riddled with bugs i.e. no quality control.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm tempted to buy it anyway because I want to see quality swordfighting games down the line.

Or maybe I'd just encourage more shitty ones.

*sigh*

I will say I was still excited about this game, and hoped it would be polished and awesome by launchtime.

Amir0x

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:
They lied. There's really no way it can cost 12 million dollars when you work on a game for a year and a half, for a platform that's incredibly easy to develop for and when the game is riddled with bugs i.e. no quality control.

Why would they lie and say it costs MORE money to develop than it did? Are they pocketing the extra money for their ferrari's?

Prine

Banned
Souldriver said:

I've not witnessed reactions like that, ever, even when c- score was dished out by Gaming Age to NG.

I doubt anyone on this forum believes Zelda is a 8.8 game, we all know its one of the greatest games this year, but the reactions displayed in the GS review thread was unlike anything i've read on GAF.. some one actually wiki'd Geff.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
No surprise. The hype for this game should've ended the second actual gameplay screens and videos were revealed. I can understand why people got excited because of that GI cover, but once you saw the actual game, it was obvious from the start that it's crap.

goldenpp72

Ive been saying this game would blow since the beggining, it just doesn't look fun or.. well anything worth owning really. The controls look assy, the game looks generic and dull and it just seems like a tech demo.

Muppet345

JayDubya said:
I'm tempted to buy it anyway because I want to see quality swordfighting games down the line.

Or maybe I'd just encourage more shitty ones.

*sigh*
Yeah, I doubt developers will get the consensus that swordfighting games won't sell if Red Steel fails (and it likely won't, given the hype for it in recent months)

DyTonic

Banned
People will still buy "omg sword fighting." From what I've watched , I don't like the way you play, but I guess Metal Slug Anthology for me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I bet it still sells boatloads.

I'm still getting it. I can't stand WWII shooters as of, ya know, 8 years ago when they got played out

Amir0x

Banned
why are people using the fact that WWII games are played out as a positive of Red Steel?

Hello... IF Red Steel does in fact have shitty gameplay... do you know what has been played out since even before WWII games? Videogames with shitty gameplay :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amir0x said:
why are people using the fact that WWII games are played out as a positive of Red Steel?

Hello... IF Red Steel does in fact have shitty gameplay... do you know what has been played out since even before WWII games? Videogames with shitty gameplay :lol

I wouldn't lable it as a "positive" as much as a "Well, that's all we have!"
The setting of CoD3 doesn't interest me, and I want a shooter.

The reviews overall for RS seem very mixed. I've played it before and liked it well enough to try out the final version, at least to me the concept is more interesting than it's compeititon.

But is GS saying this game is significantly worse than GEIST? They scored that one a 7.8....

rubso

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Wow, did Red Steel really cost 12 mill? Down the drain indeed! :lol :lol :lol :lol
Ubisoft ain't going to develop a single game for the Wii after Red Steel. ( That if it didn't sell very well )

Top Bottom