• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

2df5657786365fafeaeb8e1d8dd13f20.gif

That is the best damn gif I've ever seen.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I expected low scores for gameplay, value, tilt and even sound but a 6 for graphics of this game on Wii is not acceptable. Those morons haven't understand yet that Wii is not as powerful as X360 and PS3. DEAL WITH IT.
How on earth Trauma Center and Red Steel (or Excite Truck) got the same score for graphics?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Damn Near Everyone said:

Look, I'm far from prepared to blindly recommend the Wii to friends and strangers alike as the Great Gaming Revolution, but I think it's clear from that picture that the Gamespot crew was going to extensive lengths to:

1) Present - in the most jackass, obnoxious way possible - that the Wii's controls are so limited that you don't need to make anything but the most limited of movements.

2) Torpedo their credibility quickly enough that Guinness will take note.

If the graphics suck they're not going to give it a good score. You can't handicap rating the graphics on Wii games just because it's less powerful. That's like saying Zelda 1's graphics are awesome, just because it was good compared to what was out at the time.

AniHawk

Synth_floyd said:
If the graphics suck they're not going to give it a good score.

Oh. I was wondering why they gave Mario Kart DS a 9 in the graphics department. Thanks for clearing it up.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I've been wracking my brain trying to think what game they're actually playing with such retardedness. Which segment is that from?

AniHawk said:
Oh. I was wondering why they gave Mario Kart DS a 9 in the graphics department. Thanks for clearing it up.

I don't know. I'm not defending Gamespot's reviews. I'm just saying you shouldn't handicap reviews based on the hardware.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Synth_floyd said:
If the graphics suck they're not going to give it a good score. You can't handicap rating the graphics on Wii games just because it's less powerful. That's like saying Zelda 1's graphics are awesome, just because it was good compared to what was out at the time.
The graphics score is related to hardware capabilities kid.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Quick question:
Does anybody here actually believe that Gamespots Wii Review scores will confirm anything other than what some people already believe, much less reach the markets that Nintendo is targeting?

Basically, videophiles are already up in arms against this thing; nothing GS can do/say/review will confirm anything other than what those people already think they know. I promise you nobody in the 90% majority that Nintendo wants to tap for this gen could give two shits less about:

1. Red Steel
2. What Gamespot thinks about it
3. What GAF thinks about Gamespot's review

Remember kids, it only takes one killer app for a console to be a smash hit. The Wii has not one, but two. Yes, two. Twilight Princess will hit the hardcore crowd. And if you're not interested in the best game ever made, not only do you not have a soul, you're admitting that you have no place in gamer heaven (at the right hand of Miyamoto himself). Oh yeah. The other killer app is the one that gets people that don't play videogames to actually try again. Gamers think its shit and rightfully so, but Nintendo, like it's target audience, could give two shits less about what THEY think.

Return to your regularly scheduled bitching.

Synth_floyd said:

Ummm, no.

Metroid Prime Hunters on DS is a beautiful game. Oh wait, it doesn't look as good as PS3/360 games! Now we have to give it 2/10!!!!!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So are people trying to dispute the score still? Cause it seems like the majority of reviewers agree that this game is ass.

Amir0x

Banned
Alkaliine said:
Ummm, no.

Metroid Prime Hunters on DS is a beautiful game. Oh wait, it doesn't look as good as PS3/360 games! Now we have to give it 2/10!!!!!

Prime Hunters has disgusting N64-era graphics... but it stands tall against the rest of the 3D DS pack. So yeah, you're right, for DS it's like "10/10". But in reality where things don't exist in a vacuum, it still pretty much looks like a piece of shit. But you're right, that shouldn't impact the score since you're still grading vs. what the system can offer.

Christopher

Alkaliine said:
Ummm, no.

Metroid Prime Hunters is a DS game it's not a home console...wtf are you going on with? Should we have judged the GBA games with Gamecube titles? Try hard confirmed.

BlueTsunami

So are people trying to dispute the score still? Cause it seems like the majority of reviewers agree that this game is ass.

:-*

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
BlindN-Fan said:
whatdog.gif

When inspected closer HL2 is just a game full of tricks that makes it look so damn good.Repeats alot of textures aswell. RS looks decent when compared to it.
I think I actually rolled my eyes a little.

Amir0x said:
Prime Hunters has disgusting N64-era graphics... but it stands tall against the rest of the 3D DS pack. So yeah, you're right, for DS it's like "10/10". But in reality where things don't exist in a vacuum, it still pretty much looks like a piece of shit. But you're right, that shouldn't impact the score since you're still grading vs. what the system can offer.

What I am saying is that Hunters pushes the DS nearly as far as it can go, and pretty much represents the pinnacle of graphical quality on the DS. Sure, it looks terrible compare to PS3/360 standards, but it's a beautiful game given the hardware it is on, and that cannot be disputed.

You have to take the same approach with Wii games. They may not look close to the graphical quality of PS3/360, but this doesn't matter because you only judge the Wii's graphics on its own horsepower. It's only about twice as strong as a Gamecube, and we all know that. Therefore, if a Wii game looks beautiful given the system's power, but looks average compared to PS3/360 games, then the Wii game should not be marked down because of this.

Zenith

Banned
As you shoot, the sounds of your weapon reloading and a few other effects come crunching through the Wii Remote's tinny little speaker, which can be distracting, though you can turn the volume down if you want.

is that going to be an issue with all Wii games?

Amir0x

Banned
Alkaliine said:
What I am saying is that Hunters pushes the DS nearly as far as it can go, and pretty much represents the pinnacle of graphical quality on the DS. Sure, it looks terrible compare to PS3/360 standards, but it's a beautiful game given the hardware it is on, and that cannot be disputed.

You have to take the same approach with Wii games. They may not look close to the graphical quality of PS3/360, but this doesn't matter because you only judge the Wii's graphics on its own horsepower. It's only about twice as strong as a Gamecube, and we all know that. Therefore, if a Wii game looks beautiful given the system's power, but looks average compared to PS3/360 games, then the Wii game should not be marked down because of this.

See, i'm always in conflict in this. On the one hand, you're right... you can't review a game based on the possibilities of ANOTHER platform. You have to respect what the platform can do, and then rate it based on the best on that system.

On the other hand... you say "it's a beautiful game given the hardware it is on." My problem is it ISN'T. It's still ****ing disgusting looking, and that's because of the limitations of the hardware. So I can rate Final Fantasy III a 10, because it's the best the hardware can do, but that "10" for DS is really like a 0.1% on another system. And since I don't have to rate games in a vacuum, I really can't give it that sort of window. I don't care what the limitations of a system is, because there are viable alternatives that don't give me ugly games ya know?

Guess it depends on if you're reviewing games. If you are reviewing games for a major website, obviously you must not compare it to other platforms.

Zenith said:
is that going to be an issue with all Wii games?

Unfortunately. The speaker quality on the Wiimote is atrocious. I mean, that's not even exaggerating... it's so bad, I wish they would have just not included it and charged 10 dollars less for the wiimote

Christopher said:
Metroid Prime Hunters is a DS game it's not a home console...wtf are you going on with? Should we have judged the GBA games with Gamecube titles? Try hard confirmed.

:-*

Dude, just stfu. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Amir0x said:
See, i'm always in conflict in this. On the one hand, you're right... you can't review a game based on the possibilities of ANOTHER platform. You have to respect what the platform can do, and then rate it based on the best on that system.

On the other hand... you say "it's a beautiful game given the hardware it is on." My problem is it ISN'T. It's still ****ing disgusting looking, and that's because of the limitations of the hardware. So I can rate Final Fantasy III a 10, because it's the best the hardware can do, but that "10" for DS is really like a 0.1% on another system. And since I don't have to rate games in a vacuum, I really can't give it that sort of window. I don't care what the limitations of a system is, because there are viable alternatives that don't give me ugly games ya know?

Guess it depends on if you're reviewing games. If you are reviewing games for a major website, obviously you must not compare it to other platforms.

I can see what you are saying.

Unfortunately most major websites (especially GS, and even IGN) are reguarly comparing to 360/PS3, which is just unfair for Wii.

I actually liked the review, because it provided some good information, and the things they were griping about aren't that much of a big deal to me.

They also obviously have something against this game other than an unbiased opinion, because someone definitely had to go out of their way to make the screenshots look that poor.

Basically I got out of the review that it was pretty fun, and is a 10 hour+ single player campaign.

DemDereNads said:
I actually liked the review, because it provided some good information, and the things they were griping about aren't that much of a big deal to me.

They also obviously have something against this game other than an unbiased opinion, because someone definitely had to go out of their way to make the screenshots look that poor.

Basically I got out of the review that it was pretty fun, and is a 10 hour+ single player campaign.

Yeah, what's with the screens? Is it the resolution or something? Even IGN captures (hell, Youtube captures) don't look that bad.

Alkaliine said:
Yeah, what's with the screens? Is it the resolution or something? Even IGN captures (hell, Youtube captures) don't look that bad.

The only explanation is they wanted the game to look like ass.

They must have taken thumbnails and blew them up to the size they are now :p

Christopher

Alkaliine said:
Dude, just stfu. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, excuse me if I don't go out of my way and try to "educate" my friends on Nintendo's new direction, or playing free PR rep like you seem to be fond of doing.

I personally think that Wii games should be judged with other consoles offerings, you don't agree, don't be so upset duder it's just videogame discussions.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
lol

what were you expecting, really? we already knew both the graphics and the gameplay sucked. I can't wait for rayman's review, everyone will be like "oh noez it's just a bunch of minigames they gave it a 5.8!".

Lobster

Banned
Alkaliine said:

Its GameSpot. All their screens are crap. Even ones that aren't of games.

valparaiso said:
lol

what were you expecting, really? we already knew both the graphics and the gameplay sucked. I can't wait for rayman's review, everyone will be like "oh noez it's just a bunch of minigames they gave it a 5.8!".

So you've played it? And you might want to purchase some eyedrops or something if you think the graphics "suck."

Obviously they aren't going to match up to 360 and PS3, but it still looks great.

Christopher said:
I know exactly what I'm talking about, excuse me if I don't go out of my way and try to "educate" my friends on Nintendo's new direction, or playing free PR rep like you seem to be fond of doing.

I personally think that Wii games should be judged with other consoles offerings, you don't agree, don't be so upset duder it's just videogame discussions.

You can only judge a console's graphics on the system's merits. You can't keep comparing Wii game to PS3/360 games because the Wii will never be able to output graphics like those machines do. It's physically not possible, and thus the Wii's graphics should be judged according to the power of the Wii, and only the Wii.

Elios83

I don't want to comment on the 'Gamespot hate' in this thread but I think the low scores of all Wii's games except for Zelda are a clear sign that if developers think they can run away with old gen games with remote support because this is Wii and not the expensive to develop for PS3/Xbox360, well they're wrong,reviewers won't accept it and gamers shouldn't accept it,for the sake of the system's future.

Lobster

Banned
Elios83 said:
I don't want to comment on the 'Gamespot hate' in this thread but I think the low scores of all Wii's games except for Zelda are a clear sign that if developers think they can run away with old gen games with remote support because this is Wii and not the expensive to develop for PS3/Xbox360, well they're wrong,reviewers won't accept it and gamers shouldn't accept it,for the sake of the system's future.

I think you should wait for other sites to review the same games. Don't trust 1 site. Use Gamerankings.com when all reviews have finished.

Elios83 said:

nah, Zelda got a low score too.

I think the problem with the Wii reviews (if there are any) will be seen later on. At the launch, you're setting the baseline for everything else to be ranked around. Maybe they're expecting too much of the Wii by giving Red Steel this score, or maybe it will become apparent later that the Wii can and should do much better than this.
I think that's one thing with the Zelda review: some sites don't want to give it 10/10 because they worry about later in the Wii's lifecycle... What about Mario and Smash Bros? - which could explain Gamespot's low score (which seems too low, IMO).

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
the Wii's graphics should be judged according to the power of the Wii, and only the Wii.

imo graphics should be judged according to whether they succeed in doing their job or not.

- earthbound: they try to show you a house in the middle of the forest, you see a house in the middle of the forest. great success
- red steel: they try to show you an omg d4rk oppressive realistic 3D world, you see a cluster**** of polygons out of place and ****in squared hands and whatnot. fission mailed.

it's as simple as that, to me. I would've still bought this game if the controls were okay, though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
From what I've seen of Red Steel, the game graphics seem substandard to even that of the Gamecube. So reviewers are right to comment harshly on it.

I mean, you've got Resident Evil 4 looking as good as it did and thats a former gen game. Theres nothing you can say as far as bias to try to defend this game. It just does not look good.

This game literally looks like some fan took Goldeneye for the N64 and created all the texturing and upped the modeling up some. Just horrible.

BlueTsunami said:
From what I've seen of Red Steel, the game graphics seem substandard to even that of the Gamecube. So reviewers are right to comment harshly on it.

I mean, you've got Resident Evil 4 looking as good as it did and thats a former gen game. Theres nothing you can say as far as bias to try to defend this game. It just does not look good.

This game literally looks like some fan took Goldeneye for the N64 and created all the texturing and upped the modeling up some. Just horrible.
Yeah, I just read the review. Gamespot may suck, but Kasavin is still the man.

Ubisoft's support for Wii is a joke. Real support means good games, not letting the shittiest dev team handle all the Wii stuff.

I get this strange feeling that GAF is filled with Nintendo fanboys. I am one and even I can conceed that 1) Red Steel has looked like it had the potential to be shit for awhile now and 2) GS is almost ALWAYS dead on with their reviews.

Top Bottom