• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Red Steel

LM4sure

Banned
Ouch indeed! I didn't think it would get that low of a score. I was thinking 7.5. Well I will definitely be skipping this one now. My launch titles are really narrowing down now. No Red Steel, no Trauma Center. Might only end up with Zelda.

psy18

Panic_Attack said:
I get this strange feeling that GAF is filled with Nintendo fanboys. I am one and even I can conceed that 1) Red Steel has looked like it had the potential to be shit for awhile now and 2) GS is almost ALWAYS dead on with their reviews.

You do know that 5 threads and 100 posts each != 500 different members do you?:lol

Some people are making me laugh.

Resistance review: "get over it, it's a great score, the game is an 8.5 great"
Red Steel review: "omg Greg K. teh bias they don't get the philosophy of Wii."

This game never seemed special, just buy COD3.

Rat Salad

Banned
Not surprising with the score,game looks very average,art direction looks bad too. Better for me though-Zelda and Excite Truck are the ones I've been looking forward to for launch.

Peru

It looked good the first time we got a description of it. Since then, not so much. What totally bugs me out is how Ubisoft with a massive budget and a lot of development time manages to not get the FPS controls down as well as with the COD3 port (or a monkey ball fps minigame!). Whaaaaaaat???

thefro

GoNintendo says the controls are great except it could use a quick 180 turn option. I trust them over Gamespot.

thefro

Prine said:
Kind of knew this, 1up guys were saying its pretty bad too

Of course they would, they've gotten no exclusives on Red Steel and have been over playing Halo 3 and Gears for the last couple months.

marwan

Banned
i knew this game was going to get crappy review from the moment people complained about it's lousy control at E3.

jimbo

Banned
Wow. I didn't realize there were so many Nintendo fanboys on GAF. Actually you are beyond fanboys. ZEALOTS is more like it. I was reading through that Gamespot review of Zelda, and some of you people are simply unbelievable. To go as far as some of you did, over a great score of a videogame, simply because it's not what you wanted is the definition of insanity. If anyone deserves the insults it's you guys. You are a bunch of hypocritical idiots when you believe you have any right to criticise the review of a person who has played the game, when YOU HAVE NOT!

And when I thought that it couldn't get any worse, now you have this thread. A game that has been getting poor previews for some time hinting towards a mediocre score gets a mediocre score and you are all in shock. Some of you desperately need a break from videogaming, or more like, videogame websites and forums.

Amir0x

Banned
jimbo said:
Wow. I didn't realize there were so many Nintendo fanboys on GAF. Actually you are beyond fanboys. ZEALOTS is more like it. I was reading through that Gamespot review of Zelda, and some of you people are simply unbelievable. To go as far as some of you did, over a great score of a videogame, simply because it's not what you wanted is the definition of insanity. If anyone deserves the insults it's you guys. You are a bunch of hypocritical idiots when you believe you have any right to criticise the review of a person who has played the game, when YOU HAVE NOT!

And when I thought that it couldn't get any worse, now you have this thread. A game that has been getting poor previews for some time hinting towards a mediocre score gets a mediocre score and you are all in shock. Some of you desperately need a break from videogaming, or more like, videogame websites and forums.

I don't mind the criticism of the review... hey, there's some really insane expectations here and being videogame fanatics - and Nintendo fanboys specifically - you're gonna get an irritated reaction. 4 years of wait does that to these people.

BUT, what I personally cannot accept... and what has really made me say there needs to be some precious re-evaluating of some people's values... is this insane need to try to like seriously attack the reviewer on a personal level. About his weight, about his intelligence, about this or that. It's absurd. You can think the review was a poorly written piece of shit (even though it wasn't), but then to go on to say "Gertsmann you worthless fat piece of shit" just shows a serious problem with some people.

I'm really thinking of just going into that Gamespot review thread and banning everyone who did that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Right on, Ami. Insulting someone so personally over a f*cking video game review?! Pathetic. These people haven't even PLAYED these games and yet they feel the need to slam the reviewers into the ground.

In regards to Red Steel, that sounds about right from what I've seen. It always looked like a generic FPS, and it sounds as if I was correct. On top of that, it seems glitchy and looks pretty ugly. The GS review has been perfectly in-line with other reviews of the game as well, so it's not as if they are slamming it (they are just reporting the truth).

Face it, the PS3 and Wii launch lineups flat out suck. They each have ONE really good game, a few decent titles, and a bunch of below average crap. In both cases, you can't expect great results right out of the gate. PS3 is difficult to tap (power wise) and the Wii presents a completely new spin on control interfaces and will take TIME to properly utilize. Give them time to shine and realize that a lot of early software is very likely to be average (at best) or Gundam Crossfire (at worst).

SantaC

dark10x said:
Right on, Ami. Insulting someone so personally over a f*cking video game review?! Pathetic. These people haven't even PLAYED these games and yet they feel the need to slam the reviewers into the ground.

Too be fair this happens not ONLY happen with Nintendo fans. It happened when MGS3 scored a 8.7 and it happened when gamespot gave halo 2 9.4

it also happened with some resistance scores.

Christopher

Amir0x said:
I don't mind the criticism of the review... hey, there's some really insane expectations here and being videogame fanatics - and Nintendo fanboys specifically - you're gonna get an irritated reaction. 4 years of wait does that to these people.

BUT, what I personally cannot accept... and what has really made me say there needs to be some precious re-evaluating of some people's values... is this insane need to try to like seriously attack the reviewer on a personal level. About his weight, about his intelligence, about this or that. It's absurd. You can think the review was a poorly written piece of shit (even though it wasn't), but then to go on to say "Gertsmann you worthless fat piece of shit" just shows a serious problem with some people.

I'm really thinking of just going into that Gamespot review thread and banning everyone who did that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you did...that type of behavior on gaf was really shocking, especially when this board is supposed the epitome of all gaming communities turned into a GameFAQs-esque bashing of lol "he’s fat his review sucks!"

Anyway I’ll see what IGN has to say about Red Steel as well as I like to read two halves to every story as it were.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Amir0x said:

:lol

That would be a Zelda Fan Holocaust. But seriously, there was no need to go as far as lots of people did.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Amir0x said:

Thank you for saying this. That thread was really bad. I mean...damn. It made a lot (a LOT) of people look ignorant. Really spoke ill of fans.

dark10x

SantaC said:
Too be fair this happens not ONLY happen with Nintendo fans. It happened when MGS3 scored a 8.7 and it happened when gamespot gave halo 2 9.4

No, not like this. People were up in arms, but they weren't slamming these guys personally in the harsh manner displayed here.

NeoCross

SantaC said:

The whole internet almost collapsed because of the Zelda fan's anger and hatred towards jeff. Nothing even comes close to this.

Amir0x said:

Last I heard, Denis Dyack fat jokes were extremely funny around here, so I though that this attitude was pretty much, you know, accepted.

chase

Red Steel obviously sucks.

But...more complaints about graphics and the speaker.

Seems GS won't be giving many Wii games good scores unless the chipset and speaker improve. Should make for a good time though!

jimbo

Banned
Amir0x said:

Honestly, this place would be a much better place. All jokes aside, I've been coming to this forum, in its many different shapes for 4 years now, and GAF is better than that. This forum is the last haven for mostly smart intelligent gaming conversation. GAF should not condone that kind of behavior. Period. I expect that kind of stuff on the Gamespot System Wars forum, or IGN or Gamefaqs. But here? Never.

Last I heard, Denis Dyack fat jokes were extremely funny around here, so I though that this attitude was pretty much, you know, accepted.

HUMOR is condoned on GAF. Those replies were not funny. They were just plain hatefull.

dark10x

chase said:
Red Steel obviously sucks.

But...more complaints about graphics and the speaker.

Seems GS won't be giving many Wii games good scores unless the chipset and speaker improve. Should make for a good time though!
Do you honestly believe that they are docking points for those reasons? If so, wow.

chase

dark10x said:
Do you honestly believe that they are docking points for those reasons? If so, wow.

No, now that you mention it they probably brought those points up in the review because they had no effect on the score.

chase

jimbo said:
Honestly, this place would be a much better place. All jokes aside, I've been coming to this forum, in its many different shapes for 4 years now, and GAF is better than that. This forum is the last haven for mostly smart intelligent gaming conversation. GAF should not condone that kind of behavior. Period. I expect that kind of stuff on the Gamespot System Wars forum, or IGN or Gamefaqs. But here? Never.

HUMOR is condoned on GAF. Those replies were not funny. They were just plain hatefull.

Oh dear.

Amir0x

Banned
Stormbringer said:

People joke about Denis, because he actually came around here for a while and could dish dirt with us. And Denis lost a lot of weight for a minute, so that's why it became a topic - it was relevant, and it wasn't used to ****ing discredit all his work and everything he has ever done. So if he personally found it offending, even in that context, we would have cleaned it up. However, even in that case it's not entirely kosher... and I can tell you that although I've made a few Denis Dyack jokes, they're just JOKES. They're not seriously trying to INSULT the guy, as it's clear that many, many Nintendo fans were.

LOOK at the type of garbage flung OVER A REVIEW:

Mashing - (1)
Alkaliine - (1, 2)

I just did some bannings, so, in the future any sort of bullshit like we had in that Gamespot thread... well I can't speak for the other mods, but I'm gonna be watching closely because it's ridiculous and shows a serious need to grow up. Read the above comments and understand what is crossing the line, and re-read the TOS if you must - knowingly posting defamatory and abusive stuff like that is clearly crossing the line.

chase said:
Seems GS won't be giving many Wii games good scores unless the chipset and speaker improve.
Um, no. Wii can do much better. Red Steel isn't even Gamecube level graphics. As for the speaker, it's good quality, but you can't make it do sounds for everything.

Remember Official Nintendo Magazine (ONM, UK magazine) when they said Red Steel looked on par/better than Resident Evil 4, and the fire looked better than RE4's fire? Those idiots......

dark10x

chase said:
No, now that you mention it they probably brought those points up in the review because they had no effect on the score.
When you are limited to a 10-point scale, something as silly as the Wii-remote speaker isn't going to lower the overall score. It's something they noticed and decided to comment on, but it's foolish to believe that poor sounds from the Wii-mote would have any sort of serious impact on the score. They aren't going to drop a point as a result of that speaker. I believe they are pointing it out as the speaker is a NEW feature with Wii and they likely assume that folks reading the review have an interest in hearing about this feature. The only other alternatives would be to ignore it completely or to hand out false praise. The speaker is of low quality and attempting to use it in a way that it should not be (playing overly complex sounds that require a higher quality speaker) will yield poor results.

Now, the visuals may have an impact on the score (at least the graphics score) and they SHOULD. The Wii does not deserve a free ride simply because Nintendo chose to release an underpowered machine. It's going to be compared with XBOX360 and PS3 (and even the original XBOX, which has plenty of FPS titles that look significantly better than Red Steel). Red Steel deserves to be slammed for its visuals.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What did I learn from the Zelda Gamespot Review thread? That Fat + **** seems to be the combo words of choice :lol

chase

dark10x said:
When you are limited to a 10-point scale, something as silly as the Wii-remote speaker isn't going to lower the overall score. It's something they noticed and decided to comment on, but it's foolish to believe that poor sounds from the Wii-mote would have any sort of serious impact on the score. They aren't going to drop a point as a result of that speaker. I believe they are pointing it out as the speaker is a NEW feature with Wii and they likely assume that folks reading the review have an interest in hearing about this feature. The only other alternatives would be to ignore it completely or to hand out false praise. The speaker is of low quality and attempting to use it in a way that it should not be (playing overly complex sounds that require a higher quality speaker) will yield poor results.

Now, the visuals may have an impact on the score (at least the graphics score) and they SHOULD. The Wii does not deserve a free ride simply because Nintendo chose to release an underpowered machine. It's going to be compared with XBOX360 and PS3 (and even the original XBOX, which has plenty of FPS titles that look significantly better than Red Steel). Red Steel deserves to be slammed for its visuals.

Funny, then, that people seem to have no problems scoring DS games relative to the hardware and not to the PSPs hardware.

Should 360 and PS3 games have their scores reduced when and if the Wii control scheme in a certain game is superior to those in Sony and Microsoft's consoles?

Amir0x said:

I agree with this.

Klotera

dark10x said:

This is a key point that many are missing. No one said Nintendo HAD to release a machine with lower specs. They chose to go into a competitive market with this machine and they will be compared by consumers. If consumers consider the wiimote's benefits to outweigh the graphics - that's cool. But, it doesn't mean you give them a handicap on the graphics. You up the gameplay score and keep the graphics score low.

Besides, even with lower power - you can make a pretty game with good art. Plenty of PS2 games have done it. Hell, Shadow of the Colossus is, from a technical standpoint, awful graphically. Thanks to the artistic design - it's gorgeous despite the aliasing, texture warping, and poor framerate. Oh, and SoulCalibur 3 on my PS2 in 480p looks gorgeous even after playing xbox 360 for a year now.

Klotera

chase said:
Funny, then, that people seem to have no problems scoring DS games relative to the hardware and not to the PSPs hardware.

Should 360 and PS3 games have their scores reduced when and if the Wii control scheme in a certain game is superior to those in Sony and Microsoft's consoles?

If 360 and PS3 games are less fun than Wii games, then they should recieve lower scores. Wiimote may cause that to happen. However, just because wiimote may end up being better for most games wouldn't mean you automatically give bonus points to any game that uses it. They still have to earn it with the gameplay.

vitaflo

Amir0x said:

castle007 - (1)
bigmakstudios - (1)
Mashing - (1)
starship - (1)
Faux - (1)
Docpan - (1)
Saoh - (1)
Alkaliine - (1, 2)

I just did some bannings, so, in the future any sort of bullshit like we had in that Gamespot thread... well I can't speak for the other mods, but I'm gonna be watching closely because it's ridiculous and shows a serious need to grow up. Read the above comments and understand what is crossing the line, and re-read the TOS if you must - knowingly posting defamatory and abusive stuff like that is clearly crossing the line.

Finally some sanity prevails. I was wondering when a mod would come in and clean up this mess.

SantaC

dark10x said:

gerstmann said on the podcast that he docked the score for sound because of the horrible wiimote speaker. So yes.

Mifune

Mehmber
Amir0x said:

Mashing - (1)
Alkaliine - (1, 2)

Oh my god.

And I thought the constant cries of bias in the Resistance and Gears review threads were bad.

Kuroyume

Banned
Amir0x said:

Please do it. It's hard to read stuff on the gaming side because of these people.

Amir0x

Banned
It's done! But I'll be watching more closely in the future... because I honestly didn't expect the reaction to be THAT insane

SantaC

Amir0x said:
It's done! But I'll be watching more closely in the future... because I honestly didn't expect the reaction to be THAT insane

might as well ban quickkick89 in the process if he isnt banned already, he said something in the line that wii will ride a bad 8.8 game for another year. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
SantaC said:
might as well ban quickkick89 in the process if he isnt banned already, he said something in the line that wii will ride a bad 8.8 game for another year. :lol

who or what individual is he insulting with that comment?

Top Bottom