• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop and EB Games Canada won't guarantee Day 1 preorders for Wii U

Will the US send us aid?

Wii U's dropping from the skies?

barack_obama_wii-580pximg.jpg

tkscz

anybody who preordered a Wii U after September 25th will not get a Wii U Day 1. They will have to wait for the second wave of restock".

I don't think this counts for the US then, Gamestop stopped taking pre-orders for Wii U's one the 15th, and started doing that list to get a pre-order thing. I got my pre-order in by the 14th though :p

10k said:
We have shortages and are placing calls today to anybody who preordered a Wii U after September 25th will not get a Wii U Day 1.
On the whole, a phrase like this wouldn't surprise me for any store. I preordered mine 10 days before that, and that was after we'd started hearing reports of some places already going through their launch allocation.

I AM GameStop.

Old joke is old.

Again people, I said I don't know if this affects US or even any other GameStop. I can only confirm it for EB Games in Toronto across from Sherway Mall. The calls are starting today for this particular store.

That's too close to home, son.

I expect some backwater town like Vancouver to get hit with this but Toronto is the centre of the entire country. We should be catered too.

I'll say this, the EB near me said they took 62 preorders for the Deluxe and they were guaranteeing them all for launch. I laughed and walked out. Didn't bother preordering with them.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If there weren't so many redflagdealers hoarding these consoles to resell we wouldn't be having this problem in Canada.

Yeah, I said it.

Its plastered all over the "hot deals" page after I've complained countless amount of times that MSRP is not a deal especially if its the point for reselling.

Tons of people plan to buy 10s of each console and resell it on classifieds/ebay. Absolutely disgusting community.

OP, I'm pretty sure this only applies for Canada though.

I bought and sold half a dozen pre order slips for a pretty profit with zero regrets.

It's a game console not life saving medication.

Don't like sell outs/resellers? Tell hardware makers to give up the millions in free press than sellouts create and have more hardware ready for launch.

AzerPhire

Spoke to my friend who works at EB Games. His store has 10 deluxe systems for 11 pre-orders. Luckily I am #1 in their system so I am set!

Gadirok

I bought and sold half a dozen pre order slips for a pretty profit with zero regrets.

Don't like sell outs/resellers? Tell hardware makers to give up the millions in free press than sellouts create and have more hardware ready for launch.

Equally Nintendo's fault for this, but it still shouldn't happen.

I hope eventually that this kind of stuff is ceased out in a way that each person is limited to purchasing one console each.

That may never happen but I hope it eventually happens.

Equally Nintendo's fault for this, but it still shouldn't happen.

I hope eventually that this kind of stuff is ceased out in a way that each person is limited to purchasing one console each.

That may never happen but I hope it eventually happens.

Preorders should be 2 per person at most.

And I bet you are very proud of you.

I wish everyone would do as I do and never buy stuff over its MSRP so people like you end up choking on their preordered stuff. That would really solve things.

OmegaFax

They take a bulk of money without truly knowing their inventory and tell people they're guaranteed a product on a specified only their customers they never had it. Christ, is GameStop a Ponzy scheme?

Got a call from EB in Edmonton yesterday saying my console was in and ready to go on Sunday. I did pre-order the first day you could tho. If you haven't been called you should give them a ring and see if they have one set aside for you.

Sora_N

If there weren't so many redflagdealers hoarding these consoles to resell we wouldn't be having this problem in Canada.

Yeah, I said it.

Its plastered all over the "hot deals" page after I've complained countless amount of times that MSRP is not a deal especially if its the point for reselling.

Tons of people plan to buy 10s of each console and resell it on classifieds/ebay. Absolutely disgusting community.

OP, I'm pretty sure this only applies for Canada though.

This is fucking true, I work at one TRU and my friend works at another. He said some lady preordered 10 Deluxe units.

My store managers are morons too, they pretty much allowed preorders until Nintendo told us to stop. It just helps make more shortages. I'm afraid I might actually have to come in at store opening on Sunday to grab my friend's unit.

Keyouta

Where on the EB Games receipt can you tell what place in line you are for pre-orders? Or does it not have that information on it?

Fox Mulder

This is fucking true, I work at one TRU and my friend works at another. He said some lady preordered 10 Deluxe units.

My store managers are morons too, they pretty much allowed preorders until Nintendo told us to stop. It just helps make more shortages. I'm afraid I might actually have to come in at store opening on Sunday to grab my friend's unit.

I don't fault people for trying to flip something. if I can get some crazy person to pay $600 for a WiiU I preordered, I'll do it too. Seems to me the problem is with retailers not putting limits on people buying 10 of these though.

I live in the great USA, got my preorder on the 14th, and took a day off work. I better fucking get one.

It doesn't. I just know because I was the first person in the doors the day they started taking pre-orders.

Fair enough.

They're confusing me. I just called again, talked to the same guy and asked once again, and he said "If you pre-ordered it you ARE getting it"

Stop confusing me Gamestop.

AzerPhire

Just relax. They have the systems in store right now so if they say you are getting one then you are getting one.

Each store is receiving an allotment of systems based on their volume and pre-order numbers. So some stores will be short and others won't be.

Just relax. They have the systems in store right now so if they say you are getting one then you are getting one.

Each store is receiving an allotment of systems based on their volume and pre-order numbers. So some stores will be short and others won't be.

Yeah, I'll try. Just worried.

Lothars

I don't understand your type.
Seeing his posts in most threads, I think it explains alot. I do wish they limited preorders to one per person since I had to order mine online instead of instore.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Gamestop.com (I'm in the US) already charged my card for my Wii U preorder, so I'm sure they have to be putting me in on day 1 sales. I also managed to preorder before they put the link on their homepage, so I'm sure I'm among one of the very first to get in.

Yes, I am hoping this is the case. Just waiting for that confirmation email to ease my concerns.

My eb games called me and assured me I'd get a wii U deluxe on Day 1 and asked to pre-order games immediately cause they expect a low amount of games since they don't have many consoles. (Yeah a load of bullshit).

If they lied, i will not leave until they give me my cash back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most preorders were gone for Deluxe the day after the Nintendo Direct with the pricing and most Basics were gone by that Monday.

TriGen

I pre-ordered on September 13th right after the conference, so I should be good. But, man, it would suck if you felt you had a pre-order secured and then you got a call telling you no dice.

Rootbeer

Banned
I walked my happy butt down to gamestop and pre-ordered immediately after the pre-orders opened. Sorry to everyone who didn't, but that's how you gotta roll!

RkOwnage

Just called my Gamestop and had him double check my preorder, confirmed I would be getting one. Gonna be there when they open just in case they have shortages, but I feel a lot better, considering the last few Gamestop reps I talked to were so dodgy with my questions.

Can't wait!

The more I think about it the more I think this is an issue specific to Canadian EB stores. They were taking pre orders for a good two to three weeks for some crazy reason. US EBs had stopped pre orders within a week. Like I mentioned earlier, I went into one store to pre order and they said they had 62 deluxe pre ordered for launch. That's crazy considering what we already knew about stock.

The more I think about it the more I think this is an issue specific to Canadian EB stores. They were taking pre orders for a good two to three weeks for some crazy reason. US EBs had stopped pre orders within a week. Like I mentioned earlier, I went into one store to pre order and they said they had 62 deluxe pre ordered for launch. That's crazy considering what we already knew about stock.

Oh lawd.
My Gamestop said they were one short.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yeah... long after the "it's sold out" stories from the US, you could walk into EB Games and it was like "of course you can preorder one!"

That's when I preordered mine :p But I already got the call from my store to come in, so I do think I'm fine.

Yuripaw

Banned
It's not a problem at the gamestop I work at...we have 10 preorders on deluxe versions, and 4 preorders on the basic versions. We received 10 deluxes, and 4 basics. No problem.

this gonna make some people bestbuy lifers gamespot screwing themselves over

but I did pre order mine the same time it was announced its what i always do so i don't get f'ed by them

TxdoHawk

The fuck the line at my EB Games is still busy, it's like they've disconnected the phones or something

(Note: Former employee)

There are morons out there that will call and try to make employees look up the trade-in value of three dozen games. Most employees are smart enough to tell these people to come in for values after like the third game, but some will just sit there on the line forever obliging these dummies in the name of "customer service".

Just checked another EB in Toronto. They said nearly the same thing. Not enough for Deluxe preorders. Didn't even mention the 25th cut off date. This is the same store that tried to guarantee me a launch deluxe 2 weeks after preorders started.

Also checked a Wal Mart next door that was confident they had preorders covered. Said there was a chance they may have some for walk in customers.

This isn't good....I pre-ordered (and paid off) mine from GameStop within ~2 hours of the NY event on Sept. so I should be good. Still, I'll believe it when I have it in my hands. Regardless, it's disappointing for anyone who was told they had one day 1 and ends up empty handed :(

This isn't good....I pre-ordered (and paid off) mine from GameStop within ~2 hours of the NY event on Sept. so I should be good. Still, I'll believe it when I have it in my hands. Regardless, it's disappointing for anyone who was told they had one day 1 and ends up empty handed :(

I think this is specific to Canada where the pre orders lasted for two weeks.

Cactus

Banned
My local EB (also Toronto area) just confirmed that they will probably experience shortages relative to the amount of pre-orders.

The manager said that those who ordered the basic unit will probably be fine, but deluxe consoles ordered after a certain date might not be available on day 1.

Top Bottom