• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop and EB Games Canada won't guarantee Day 1 preorders for Wii U

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't understand your type.

900$ profit that I have no moral/legal problem with in less than 2 hours of work? Makes sense to me.

I didn't get more than one pre order per store for people saying "limit 1 per customer". You don't have to give them your name/number or even a real phone number. One of the phone numbers I used was (999) 999-9999 which obviously isn't my number and the employee laughed and didn't give a shit.

If Nintendo wants tens of millions of free advertising by not having enough hardware at launch I will do my part to earn a chunk of it.

The best was the PS3 launch.

Sell one on ebay for inflated price.

Walk into best buy next day and pay MSRP, then walk over to post office and ship it out.

Keyouta

I guess I'll give EB Games a call tomorrow, their line has been "busy" since 3. Hopefully they have enough in stock. I preordered 09/15, so I think I should be guaranteed one.

In my little suburb, the EB delcared a while ago that the WiiU was oversold. Of course, in the same parking lot, the Walmart apparently has tons left as does the Future Shop just up the street slightly.

Pharros

I've had my preorder for a month and a half I would say, so I decided to stop into my EB Games tonight just to see what they had to say.

Basically they told me they were undershipped their stock, and then asked me if I had a Basic or Deluxe preorder. I told them deluxe and they said I should have no problem on Sunday and that they would call me beforehand if they were too shortstocked for the preorders. They seemed positive I would get one even though they didn't check what number I was on the list.

Overall it was quite the odd visit and the employees didn't seem too sure of themselves, but at least they were positive. I'll be there at opening on Sunday either way.

This was at Kelsey Drive EB Games in St. John's by the way.

simtmb

Any word of the situation in other parts of the world? EBGames Australia for example. Console releases 30th here but they still have pre-orders open.

EDIT: Nevermind, pre-order cut-off date is 18th for EBGames Australia it seems.

Medalion

Banned
Long ass title. Anyways, went to eb games today to buy a new 3DS XL and the manager i always talk to said "you're lucky you're third in line for preorders. We have shortages and are placing calls today to anybody who preordered a Wii U after September 25th will not get a Wii U Day 1. They will have to wait for the second wave of restock".

So yeah, I don't know if his effects the US as well but basically any late preorderers or people planning to line up aren't getting a Wii U day one in Canada.

WTF!!!

But I am still going to my midnight launch at EB Games

leehom

I think I was the second person to pre-order one at my gamestop. Heading over there 30 mins early in case there's a line or should I go sooner?

Glass Joe

I'm glad I preordered mine a few hours after the price/date was announced. No waiting in lines or waiting for "second shipments." *smug*

Zulithe said:
I walked my happy butt down to gamestop and pre-ordered immediately after the pre-orders opened. Sorry to everyone who didn't, but that's how you gotta roll!

I ordered mine day 1 too (about an hour after the Nintendo conference ended) but I certainly don't have the confidence you two have about it. What if they're a couple units shy? What if they accidentally sell one to someone who shouldn't have it, or let someone with a basic upgrade to premium out of negligence? Mistakes happen in retail. So how would they go about it? First come first serve? Lottery? Who paid it off first or reserved the most stuff? Most loyal customer history? The actual time placed is only one of the options, after all.

SRTtoZ said:
More gamestop scare tactics? There's not a single company out there that makes you feel more guilty about NOT preordering something than Gamestop.

Scare tactics for not preordering I can get, but scare tactics when you've actually pre-ordered is BS.

I'm thinking this is Canada only, and if you've read the stories about deluxe preorders in America being sold out the next day, it shouldn't be a shock that EB Games might not have been doing things properly if you could preorder for weeks.

I stopped into my local GS yesterday and asked if they had enough to cover their preorders. First clerk had no clue so he asked someone else. Other guy said they had just enough, but I couldn't tell if he actually knew or if he just realized saying that was the easy answer.

AzerPhire

When I did the 360 launch at EB we were shorted by about 25 systems (Had 60 pre-orders and got about 35 systems). We gave the systems to the first 35 people that pre-ordered. We had a strict list of who was supposed to get their system and who was not. It was rough explaining that to people but it went off without a hitch.

The only fair way is by pre-order date and time. I am sure most EB stores will follow that.

Glass Joe

When I did the 360 launch at EB we were shorted by about 25 systems (Had 60 pre-orders and got about 35 systems). We gave the systems to the first 35 people that pre-ordered. We had a strict list of who was supposed to get their system and who was not. It was rough explaining that to people but it went off without a hitch.

The only fair way is by pre-order date and time. I am sure most EB stores will follow that.

Thanks for that, and I agree. I'm not anticipating any problems at my GS in the first place but that's reassuring since I should definitely be one of the first preorders.

That's the way to do it. I just hope my toys r us handles things the same way as. Never pre ordered with them before I

Medalion

Banned
Motherfucker

I just got a call on my phone from EB Games, they called to let us know they are cancelling the Midnight launch and will be open at the usual time of 10am on Sunday

:(

Keyouta

Motherfucker

I just got a call on my phone from EB Games, they called to let us know they are cancelling the Midnight launch and will be open at the usual time of 10am on Sunday

:(

Mine's open 10am on Sunday too according to the website. It sucks haha. Man you'd think that since this is the first console launch in 6 years you'd hopefully get a midnight launch right?

Medalion

Banned
Perhaps I should've asked why they were cancelling to find out if it was cuz of not enough supply, or not enough demand lol

Oh well, still getting one at 10am on Sunday

Terrell

UH OH... the midnight launch page on EBGames.ca just disappeared.

I really hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.

Sandfox

Mine's open 10am on Sunday too according to the website. It sucks haha. Man you'd think that since this is the first console launch in 6 years you'd hopefully get a midnight launch right?

They probably don't want to keep the store open that late just to hand out the few systems they are getting in.

Eusis

If so, they can seriously fuck right off. It was the only reason I kept my pre-order with them, and I was 1st in line at my location for pre-orders.
There's speculation Nintendo's not allowing it for safety reasons. Would be interesting if this happens with Walmart as well.

Terrell

There's speculation Nintendo's not allowing it for safety reasons. Would be interesting if this happens with Walmart as well.

Speculation from where? The thin air it was plucked from? If that was the plan, it's just a TAD LATE to start telling retailers.

steveovig

I hope this doesn't carry over to any other stores. I talked to a guy today at a local game shop who insisted Nintendo only had 40,000 units to go around for the entire country.

AzerPhire

You guys have to keep in mind that with the 360, PS3 and Wii no retailers (Except those that are open 24 hours like Walmart) had midnight launches. I worked all three launches (360 at EB Games and PS3/Wii at Best Buy) and we opened in the morning for all three. It has been like this for every major system launch so I don't know why you guys expect it.

It is one thing if it is CoD or Halo levels of hype where there are hundreds of pre-orders but when most stores are getting 10-20 systems and say only half that number will come at midnight then it is just not worth it.

Has anyone gotten an e-mail or been charged yet from ebgames.ca?

This. Can someone confirm if they've had their order charged? I haven't yet and I pre-ordered on September 13th.

Edit:
You guys have to keep in mind that with the 360, PS3 and Wii no retailers (Except those that are open 24 hours like Walmart) had midnight launches. I worked all three launches (360 at EB Games and PS3/Wii at Best Buy) and we opened in the morning for all three. It has been like this for every major system launch so I don't know why you guys expect it.

It is one thing if it is CoD or Halo levels of hype where there are hundreds of pre-orders but when most stores are getting 10-20 systems and say only half that number will come at midnight then it is just not worth it.

Never forget that shitty 360 launch we did. What time did we open? 5 AM? So stupid.

When did they charge your card? I'm panicky because my MarioU pre-order got rejected by their payment system even though my CC company said everything was good. Worried they're going to fuck up my pre-order.

When did they charge your card? I'm panicky because my MarioU pre-order got rejected by their payment system even though my CC company said everything was good. Worried they're going to fuck up my pre-order.

They charged it sometime between late last night and this morning.

Got mine ordered on the 14th. Pity the girl at my store calling people to say they aren`t getting one Sunday.

AzerPhire above made me call everyone who wasn't getting a 360 pre-order when EB Canada over estimated their pre-order stock for stores. That was the moment in my life when Nerd Rage was truly defined.

They charged it sometime between late last night and this morning.

I love you. I didn't think they would charge my card without a notification, but they did. Wouldn't have checked if you didn't say they just charged you without updating the status.

Whee!

AzerPhire

AzerPhire above made me call everyone who wasn't getting a 360 pre-order when EB Canada over estimated their pre-order stock for stores. That was the moment in my life when Nerd Rage was truly defined.

Hey, that is the benefit of being the big boss, you make the underlings do your dirty work :D

You guys seemed to have worked in game retail. Is it odd that as of yesterday my eb games didnt have their basic shipment. If worst comes to worst i can wait for my deluxe system from ebgames.com (that i forgot i ordered) but im antsy to pick it up on sunday.

You guys seemed to have worked in game retail. Is it odd that as of yesterday my eb games didnt have their basic shipment. If worst comes to worst i can wait for my deluxe system from ebgames.com (that i forgot i ordered) but im antsy to pick it up on sunday.

It's a little strange from my experience. I recall having PS2 systems a week and a half before. Same with the rest of the systems from that gen. 360 was a bit less than a week. Same with Wii.

There is still time in the day though.

It depends on the circumstances. EB relies heavily on shipping services that aren't part of their own supply chain, so if the shipment arrives to the warehouse in Mississauga, ON too late, then it can be delayed getting to a store. They will priority ship high profile items though and even pay for weekend shipping if they have to.

That being said, it is EBGames and anything can happen with them.

Fake Edit: Not sure if AzerPhire remembers, but I think we had 360s coming in the day before launch. I know the shipments were very sporadic.

It's a little strange from my experience. I recall having PS2 systems a week and a half before. Same with the rest of the systems from that gen. 360 was a bit less than a week. Same with Wii.

There is still time in the day though.

Thanks. They seemed confident they were getting them. Nintendo isnt that screwed up that they couldnt get half of their skus out on time.

AzerPhire

Not sure about the basic but I know the Deluxe systems arrived at EB on Wednesday. At this point though if you call the store they should be able to tell you if they have one for you or not.

Thanks. They seemed confident they were getting them. Nintendo isnt that screwed up that they couldnt get half of their skus out on time.

If they're confident that's a good sign. From what I can tell, EB has a good handle on when they receive their stuff and what quantity. They don't necessarily know the time, but they usually know the day.

Considering stores were told not to accept preorders after September 25th, I'm not sure what people are expecting.

I was able to preorder after the 25th in Canada. Luckily I cancelled that one and decided to go with Toys R Us instead.

Top Bottom