• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop and EB Games Canada won't guarantee Day 1 preorders for Wii U

Median

If they're confident about it then it's possible they have a shipment record in the system showing they have some in-transit.

EB is typically able to see what's in transit to the store about a day ahead of getting their shipments.

Keyouta

Still trying to call the EB Games in town. No ring tone, just ends with the busy signal.

It'd be more productive to just go there I suppose

I was able to preorder after the 25th in Canada. Luckily I cancelled that one and decided to go with Toys R Us instead.

Must be a shitty Gamestop trying to inflate its numbers. Our District Manager called us on the 24th and told us to stop accepting preorders on it, since the company was almost sold out.
We received our stock yesterday, and we have enough to fulfill our preorders.

Gamestop Canada even went through the trouble of creating an electronic waitlist in our system, after the 25th we were to add people on to, instead of making new preorders.

I'm not sure if OP simply visited a renegade store trying improve its numbers, or is trolling.

Still trying to call the EB Games in town. No ring tone, just ends with the busy signal.

It'd be more productive to just go there I suppose

Hasn't it been over a day. Maybe they closed down and are going to retire on all the Wii U's they will sell on ebay.

I didn't think they would charge my card without a notification, but they did.

Yeah, same here. I have set up an alarm service for transactions over 300$ in my credit card, and I received an alarm at 1am for the Wii U payment, which is a very weird time to process it... The status of my order online hasn't changed, tho. It doesn't even mention it's being processed or anything, and I can still cancel it. Oh well, now I just need to wait up to two weeks for the delivery to Vancouver...sigh

Two weeks? How in the world can it take that long? It's only shipping nationally.

I know, is mind boggling to me too, specially coming from Europe as I do, where European-wide deliveries take 5 business days at max. In any case, this is what EBGames have to say about delivery times:

Allow up to 1 business day for processing. Delivered within 10 Business Days after processing.

10 Business Days == 2 weeks

EDIT: Just got the tracking number, so all of you that ordered online and got your credit card charged already will probably get yours soon

I know, is mind boggling to me too, specially coming from Europe as I do, where European-wide deliveries take 5 business days at max. In any case, this is what EBGames have to say about delivery times:

10 Business Days == 2 weeks

Have you had past experience with them? I'd say it isn't going to take that long. They would have to be using Canada Post for that kind of delivery time, even then it should only take 1 business week at most.

Anth0ny

I pre ordered my Base model from Future Shop on September 26. They said I was the FIRST person to pre-order a Wii U at that location. Even still, they said they weren't allowed to offer pre-orders for the Deluxe set (they read me a memo saying it was "sold out")

Something fishy is going on.

bumpkin

Hmm, well he didn't give me specifics about quantities, but my buddy who manages the local GameStop said they won't have any extras for walk-in customers. They only got enough to cover their preorders.

Hmm, well he didn't give me specifics about quantities, but my buddy who manages the local GameStop said they won't have any extras for walk-in customers. They only got enough to cover their preorders.

That's almost always been the case with recent launches at EB Games. Except for Vita maybe.

Just got back from eb. They just got the white versions in and i was the first person on the list. Either they are going alphabetically or nobody wants a basic wiiu.

EB just shipped out my Deluxe console today. I pre-ordered on the 14th of September though, so I hope you guys looking for one are able to find it.

Appleman

Just got back from eb. They just got the white versions in and i was the first person on the list. Either they are going alphabetically or nobody wants a basic wiiu.

Yeah, wondering what my odds are of getting a basic Wii U on Sunday with no preorder... Really wish the deluxe came in white though

Just checked with the Toys R US that I have preordered at. The guy made it sound like they still didn't have them in but he was confident that if they weren't getting them in for preorders the store would have received a call by now.

Still wasn't the answer I wanted to hear.

Eusis

Just checked with the Toys R US that I have preordered at. The guy made it sound like they still didn't have them in but he was confident that if they weren't getting them in for preorders the store would have received a call by now.

Still wasn't the answer I wanted to hear.
I wonder if TRU is getting them tomorrow, so there'd be no chance of breaking street date (and if it happens it's really mild)?

Have you had past experience with them? I'd say it isn't going to take that long. They would have to be using Canada Post for that kind of delivery time, even then it should only take 1 business week at most.

Not really. This is the first time I order from them, so I hope you are right. They are using Purolator to send the console. No idea of how fast they are.

Keyouta

Yup. Whoo.

Decided to go to the damn EB Games store and question in person. They said that they have more preorders than consoles in, so "you are guaranteed a Wii U, but at launch it's first come first serve. If you miss it then you're definately get a Wii U on the next shipment."

What the fuck, why do I bother even preordering there anyway?

Yup. Whoo.

Decided to go to the damn EB Games store and question in person. They said that they have more preorders than consoles in, so "you are guaranteed a Wii U, but at launch it's first come first serve. If you miss it then you're definately get a Wii U on the next shipment."

What the fuck, why do I bother even preordering there anyway?

That shit doesn't make any sense. Should go by order of preorders and they hold it for 48 hrs if you don't show. Fuck that.

Not really. This is the first time I order from them, so I hope you are right. They are using Purolator to send the console. No idea of how fast they are.

Purolator is typically 3-5 business days with it usually arriving sooner than later. If they ship out today then I expect my order by Tuesday at the latest. They don't deliver to YOU on the weekend, but they do put items in transit to sorting facilities over the weekend.

That shit doesn't make any sense. Should go by order of preorders and they hold it for 48 hrs if you don't show. Fuck that.

Maybe the employee misunderstood. During most launches we were told not to hold pre-orders for any longer than we had to. If people didn't want the item within 2 days of launch then just move onto the next pre-order in the list.

Keyouta

Maybe the employee misunderstood. During most launches we were told not to hold pre-orders for any longer than we had to. If people didn't want the item within 2 days of launch then just move onto the next pre-order in the list.

Oh no, he didn't misunderstand. I am "guaranteed" a console, but not at launch. Launch is on a first come first serve basis, so if someone without a preorder buys o\the last one and I come in with my preorder I'd have to wait. But yeah, funny, the reciept does say, and I quote, "Upcoming Release Products Will Be Held For 48 Hours After Release". I preordered this thing on Sept 15th.

Awesome. I actually was thinking of cancelling right there, not like it'd make much of a difference

Oh no, he didn't misunderstand. I am "guaranteed" a console, but not at launch. Launch is on a first come first serve basis, so if someone without a preorder buys o\the last one and I come in with my preorder I'd have to wait. But yeah, funny, the reciept does say, and I quote, "Upcoming Release Products Will Be Held For 48 Hours After Release". I preordered this thing on Sept 15th.

Awesome. I actually was thinking of cancelling right there, not like it'd make much of a difference

that can't be right. Doesn't make sense. Make sure you request speaking with the manager of the store, and if he gives you the same answer I'd call EBGames's customer service number right there and request that information. If/When you get confirmed is not how that employee told you, ask them again. And no matter the outcome, I'd request an official complaint form and fill it right there.

Keyouta

Sent an email to them under their "Contact Us" link on the website.

Hello, I went to my local EB Games shop in Fort Mcmurray and preordered a Wii U console on September 15th, so I should be one of the first. I put down $50 on the deluxe pack.

Launch is within a few days now and I was not getting any call saying the consoles have come in so I decided to pay a visit to the shop and ask if I was guaranteed the Wii U at launch. The employee told me that I was guaranteed a console, just not at launch. They did not get enough consoles to satisfy the amount of preorders. Why did they take so many in the first place? He told me that for the launch on Sunday that the consoles would be first come first serve, and so I would need to make sure I was there on time. Is this correct and in line with your policy? I was reading over the preorder and instore pickup sections after being told that and I didn't see anything like what I was told at the store.

I fail to see what the point of preordering is if I am not guaranteed the product at launch since I could just walk in at opening and grab one without.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Call their customer service, get pissy and make sure they do something about it. They're actually pretty good about calling down to stores and making shit happen, especially if a customer is really unhappy.

Calling will make sure it's done today or tomorrow at the latest. The email can take up to a day just for a response. It helps to have the receipt so you can give them the store number listed on it. That way they know exactly which store to call as their CSRs are all in the US and might not know where Fort Mcmurray is.

Thoughts?

Is ok, but if you want to get an answer before the launch day (which is around the corner) I'd call them directly.
If you don't get a satisfactory result out of this, make sure they know you are going to file a formal complaint against them. That could work, but if it doesn't please spend some time filing an actual complaint. Is the only way things can possibly improve. More info here: http://www.consumerhandbook.ca/en/topics/products-and-services/complaints (also, try with the Better Business Bureau)

Interesting. I wonder if stock allocation by region was worked out properly? I realize the Japan launch is 2 1/2 weeks behind the US one (thus more time for production), but pretty much every store over here still has reservations open at this point.

flippeh

Got a Walmart Canada shipping notice just now that the basic I managed to preorder on Monday has shipped.

Talk about messed up.

Edit: Appears I posted in the wrong thread, damnit.

AzerPhire

Will do. I'll reply with the response.

I think you misunderstood what the employee meant.

Say they received 20 systems for 30 pre-orders. It is first-come, first-serve for those 30 people who pre-ordered and not the general public. I would be extremely surprised if they sold the systems to just anybody and not those that pre-ordered.

I don't agree with that method at all but I think that is what he meant to say.

So what you need to do rather than calling or emailing customer service you need to go back to the store and ask what number you are on the pre-order list. They have this information in the system so don't let them fool you there.

Ask if they have more systems than your number in line (They have 10 systems and you are #7) and if they are getting more than your number tell them you expect to be getting a system on Sunday. If they still say it is first come then ask to speak to a manager and if he or she still says that is the case ask them for to speak to their district manager or get the district managers phone number. The DM will then make sure you get your system on Sunday.

Keyouta

I called and the lady that answered said my best bet would be to pay the system off and that should hopefuly ensure my Sunday pickup. (If it didn't that'd be a nice complaint to tackle them with haha) I guess I can go pay it off anyway.

AzerPhire, yeah I asked if it was applicable to random walk ins, and yes it is. I made sure not to misunderstand.

I had to call twice, surprisingly. The first lady said I should just make sure to get there before 10am. lol

AzerPhire

Wow, I have never heard of any EB doing that before.

So what you do then is go in tomorrow and pay the system off. Make sure they tell you, and write it down even, to say that you are getting a system on Sunday. If they refuse to do that then get the district manager on the phone and get them to straighten it out. There is absolutely NO reason why they would sell their pre-order systems to walk in customers.

Keyouta

Guess what? Same fucking thing. Even if I pay off the system in full it's still first come first serve. What the fucking fuck. Should I have stayed and complained to them or what!?

StevieP

Banned
It's not just EB. Canada got a lot less Wii U's than were ordered for their pre-order stock in general. Other retailers have the same issue.

I was told "they are having problems manufacturing the Gamepad to the quantity necessary and that the US has first priority in shipments."

There will be more coming in November 26th, and then after that it will be very difficult to get one before 2013.

Guess what? Same fucking thing. Even if I pay off the system in full it's still first come first serve. What the fucking fuck. Should I have stayed and complained to them or what!?

WTF. Seriously, that's retarded. Consumer rights in North America are laughable, but that is just too much.

So, you preorder a product early so you are guaranteed to have your product when released, and they should be happy because that means you are most likely going to give them your money instead of to some other store/company. It's bad enough that they accept more preorders than the stock they are going to have (you could have ordered the product somewhere else!), but let's assume is not their fault. In that situation they should follow the order in which the preorders were realized and just give a call to the people that are not getting it as soon as possible. Anything else is an insult to their customers.

I'd try what AxerPhire suggested, but no matter what the outcome is, I'd file a complaint against them (look into my previous post for more information). Make sure they know about it, and that of course, you'll never buy anything again from them or EB, and that you'll make sure your friends don't either.

Man, I feel your pain. Hope everything works out!

Glass Joe

What they're telling you literally makes a pre-order useless. Were you conversing with an employee or the store manager? I would have the store manager describe the benefits of pre-ordering to you, it might get the logical part of his mind working.

Oh, and also ask how many systems were reserved and ask which # you were in initial pre-orders, if you didn't do that during the order. If you're legitimately shorted (you're #11 of 15 consoles received, for example), you need to get aggressive.

Ask for phone numbers of district managers, customer complaint lines, etc. Don't be afraid to call those numbers in the store to show that you're not going away without being a pain in their ass. A email that someone can just skim over and delete probably isn't gonna be good enough. Unless their support is awesome, they'll just pretend they never received the email. You have to take up their TIME (and let them know their their boss' time is next!) in order to get retailers' attention.

Keyouta

I'll go back once more today, I'll leave in a few minutes. The store closes at 9 so tons of time to complain. I want to get this sorted out today. Asking about the benefits of pre-ordering is a good idea too, along with me telling them I won't be coming back again, nor are any of my friends.

Thanks for helping out with advice guys.

Astra

Yeah, same here. I have set up an alarm service for transactions over 300$ in my credit card, and I received an alarm at 1am for the Wii U payment, which is a very weird time to process it... The status of my order online hasn't changed, tho. It doesn't even mention it's being processed or anything, and I can still cancel it. Oh well, now I just need to wait up to two weeks for the delivery to Vancouver...sigh

Same happened to me. They charged my card without notification at 4am. I checked the order at the time, and there was no change. However, the next day I got an email at 3pm saying my order has shipped.

P90

I never received a phone call about my local GS WiiU pre-order, so I stopped in to check on it. The rep said they had 5 pre-orders alloted and ordered and they had five in stock. Me being one of them. He said I was set.

I checked my email today and my GS online pre-order has shipped.

So, one from Santa for the family is guaranteed. The second one for nephew is pretty much certain. I should be good.

Looks like I can go in at 9 on Sunday to pick my WiiU up, still haven't figured out what, if any, launch games I will buy. Wish Wonderful 101 was a launch title.

P90

Looks like I can go in at 9 on Sunday to pick my WiiU up, still haven't figured out what, if any, launch games I will buy. Wish Wonderful 101 was a launch title.

I'm on the fence between NG3:RE and TTT2. My kids will be getting Scribblenauts Unlimited, SMB WiiU, and Skylanders Giants WiiU version. Wonderful 101 is on my sights for a day 1 purchase.

Astra

I'm on the fence between NG3:RE and TTT2. My kids will be getting Scribblenauts Unlimited, SMB WiiU, and Skylanders Giants WiiU version. Wonderful 101 is on my sights for a day 1 purchase.

I'll be getting no launch games, so I'll be stuck with Nintendoland for awhile. I ended up buying the Vita, Zero Escape, Persona 4, and Assassin's Creed III. Those, along with the Wii U deluxe bundle itself, left me no money for any more games until after Christmas.

Edit: ha, I see you also switched to Yukiko. Props for showing her some love.

Top Bottom