• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop has a 70% trade in deal right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok wtf,

all day yesterday UPS was telling me the next shipment update would occur yesterday at 5:00 PM, but no update has occurred AND they've removed that text. So it's been ~56 hours since it left KY, no updates.

It's below that.

DdHG2jo.png

I'm not seeing it

Nameless

I'm wondering this as well, lmao

Edit: Found the answer on CAG (scroll down the OP):

Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia

Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Was it supposed to be free shipping/tax free?

If you paid with store credit and live in an exempt state, yes. Pro members don't pay shipping on orders over $35.

Can someone please explain what I should say it to GameStop regarding this? I used trade in credit and I believe I was at least charged for tax.

Say you've never had to pay tax using credit before. Which was true in my however many transactions. If they try to give you the run around ask to speak to a supervisor. The second lady who helped me did it with zero fuss so like most things customer service it'll depend on who you get.

What are some things to watch out for / check if you buy a used tablet or phone from GameStop? Seems like a number of you are doing that but I'm wary of getting one that's stolen or blacklisted.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
First iPhone 7 looks to be clean in regards to ESN.
Phone's condition is super clean too. No nicks, dents or scratches. I'm impressed.

j-wood

Is it worth trading in consoles for this too? Thinking about getting rid my of Xbox one s, never use it. Same game would go with it.

Someone told me you can get Amazon credit directly instead of GameStop credit? How?

Redd

Is it worth trading in consoles for this too? Thinking about getting rid my of Xbox one s, never use it. Same game would go with it.

Someone told me you can get Amazon credit directly instead of GameStop credit? How?

You could just get amazon cash for gamestop credit.

Boss Man

Can anyone do a rundown on the way(s) to turn credit into Amazon GC/credit?

Every location I try either doesn't have Amazon cards or say you can't buy them with store credit.

Every location I try either doesn't have Amazon cards or say you can't buy them with store credit.

You first have to buy an GameStop GC with the trade in credit, then use the GS GC to buy an Amazon GC. It really comes down to the employees working at the moment you go in - within the same store I had several say they couldn't (more like wouldn't) do it but finally found one employee that would. Really just depends on the specific employee.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242790738&postcount=5419

That was my procedure. It was easy. Also make sure you punch in your PUR number for the Amazon cash transfers. I received another 14K in points for my transfer. Another free $15 from Gamestop basically. The gift just keeps on giving!

CronoShot

Didn't get quite as much as I was hoping for, but it was mainly a bunch of 5+ year old PS3 games (I did trade in MK8 and Pokken for Wii U though).

Ended up with about $110. Fully paid off Spla2n, so I have about $45 more to play with.

Not bad.

Redd

So credit -> GameStop GC is a non-issue?

And GameStop GC -> Amazon GC is easier than going straight from credit?

Trade in credit->Gamestop GC-> Amazon cash was what I did. Some have been able to go trade credit to AC but how I did it was easier. Just swiped my trade card in and got gift card. Then later using gift card for AC.

sensui-tomo

So what's the strategy to make profit from this. Was the buying games strategy only valid because of two for 1?

yeah, theres no profit at this point anymore. basically you'd buy 4 games get 2 free and get almost all the money back due to them not changing Trade in values and giving 70% back. When you factor in the 2 free games thats about 80-100 each transaction you're getting and then you could have made it buy 6 get 3, and buy certain new titles which were on sale. (buying ME:A on the 3rd netted $12 profit, GTA 5 netted about $8) and you can see that people hitting up multiple stores could amass a huge amount. (I hit $1237) and got a trade ban for 3 months. So i made out alright considering i never really shop there and that Best buy/Amazon are my general go to stores (converted almost all of it to amazon cash) i'm fine with this situation.

autoduelist

So I'm about to go to game stop to convert $450 in trading credit to the game stop gift cards. How much should I do in one transaction? should I do $200 cards or can I get the entire thing in one go? What's the best way?

Anyone in Texas have confirmation that we get charged sales tax when using trade in credit to purchase something? Have a store here telling me they changed this policy a year ago and now trade in credit still gets charged sales tax when purchasing with it.

Anyone in Texas have confirmation that we get charged sales tax when using trade in credit to purchase something? Have a store here telling me they changed this policy a year ago and now trade in credit still gets charged sales tax when purchasing with it.

Yes I was charged 8.25% sales tax on everything.

Sorry to double post, but has anyone been able to convert trade credit to Visa gift cards? I've got my eye on that TCL P Series TV at Best Buy, and I'd love to use my GameStop Monopoly money to pay for it.

I've already converted from my trade-in card to 3 separate GameStop gift cards.

Jake2by4

Just did the amazon cash with gamestop gift card..... was the easiest shit in the world. Had no fuss or anything and a assistant manager did it👍

Okay so this thread got huge and I'm a bit behind so I'm wondering if someone can give me a summary of the important bits.

-If I trade in 6+ games I get "60%." 60 percent of what?
-Once I trade them in, how do I receive the money? On a gamestop gift card? Or do I need to put it directly toward another purchase?
-I see people grumbling something about switch taxes. What pitfalls should I be looking out for?
-I can still do this tomorrow (Sunday) right?
-What's the most populer 'conversion' method?

Thanks buds.

Before this is over, let's go over everything you( I ) got from this deal and legendary thread:

Starting investment: $140
Ending credit: $800

I didn't flip back into cash, just stacked my collection up.

I got: Brand new silver DS4, FFXII (paid), FFXII collectors guide, Crash, Kiwami (paid), Xbox ones S, sunset overdrive, halo 5, gears 4, new headset, psn/ Xbox gift cards. Bought $100 credit left.

Very straight. Got all systems now and been playing Ori and it's dope!

Skittles

So i just thought of this and wish i could have done it. Buy 6 pre owned games from gamestop, do the flipping until youre satisfied, buy the same 6 games at the end and return them. This would have made your initial investment $0 and would be literal free money

jrDev

So i just thought of this and wish i could have done it. Buy 6 pre owned games from gamestop, do the flipping until youre satisfied, buy the same 6 games at the end and return them. This would have made your initial investment $0 and would be literal free money
Yea...that seems right...

So I went to Gamestop yesterday to get gift cards and the associate mentioned to me that peoples accounts are getting flagged for this. Wonder if he was hitting at me that mine was?

EDIT: Gamestop also has the buy 2 get 1 free on retro games, has anyone else tried this to see if they come out on top?

big youth

Very clever

Before this is over, let's go over everything you( I ) got from this deal and legendary thread:

Starting investment: $140
Ending credit: $800

I didn't flip back into cash, just stacked my collection up.

I got: Brand new silver DS4, FFXII (paid), FFXII collectors guide, Crash, Kiwami (paid), Xbox ones S, sunset overdrive, halo 5, gears 4, new headset, psn/ Xbox gift cards. Bought $100 credit left.

Very straight. Got all systems now and been playing Ori and it's dope!

No monetary investment - originally traded in Pokemon Diamond, Platinum, Black, and HeartGold, The Last Guardian, TLOU:R, and Atchet and Clank

Got: A Switch, Zelda, DLC, Pro Controller, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and $675 credit

Won't work. That's what I did and I stopped at $1200 because they banned me from trading. I could've kept going unlimited if I didn't make it too suspicious like that.

Although I just came back and traded in 6 games for around $90 just now so I guess the ban was a 1 day ban or whatever.

Skittles

Won't work. That's what I did and I stopped at $1200 because they banned me from trading. I could've kept going unlimited if I didn't make it too suspicious like that.

Although I just came back and traded in 6 games for around $90 just now so I guess the ban was a 1 day ban or whatever.
Does gamestop only do credit for returns? Not sure why it wouldnt work

Anyone order digital games from gamestop.com?

Ordered zelda BotW for switch almost 36 hours ago and my order is still open and no code has been sent

SlickVic

They let me put all my trade credit onto a Gamestop giftcard (said they wouldn't allow using it towards an Amazon gift card), so I took that gift card to another Gamestop and bought an Amazon gift card and a copy of Injustice 2 since it was on sale. As others were mentioning here, I just swiped the gift card and it went through without an issue. Good stuff.

HCgamer

Just got off phone with gamestop customer service different cs representative this time she agreed shipping should be free I am pro member put in request refund shipping fee five to seven business days however tax is government mandate cannot refund better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom