• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: Preorders for PS3/Wii can only be made in used game tradeins. IN HAWAII

Ponn

Banned
Called all the EB's and Gamestops in my area and my friend that still manages one. They know jack and shit about this. If this is for Monday they would have had their stuff by now. The extra 10 dollar trade in combined with $1 games Pez hinted to would be the way to go with this but i'm not about to scour the town for cheap games if this isn't happening. Every store I talked to said the same thing.

"Call back in October"

I'm really REALLY leaning towards getting a Best Buy Rewards Zone card and just camping out at Best Buy the day before now.

Vard

My friend called three stores in the LA area and none of them knew anything about it either. What is this?

Pellham

Banned
fastasleep said:
Here's a clue for you. When pre-orders open, greedy ebayers will dirve to every fricking store within 100 mile radius, whip out their visa card and plunk down a pre-order on every ps3 system they can get a hold of. If you require trade ins for a deposit, you send them packing off to another store chain, leaving more systems available for gamers and not ebayers.

Again, why do retailers care? A sale is a sale is a sale, regardless of who buys the system. You shouldn't give a shit if it's a mom or little johnny or badass gamer # 2534 or ebayer #25 who buys the system.

Second, retailers make nothing and even lose money selling systems. You want gamers buying these systems who will buy a second controller and 3 or 4 games. Ebayers want the system, they don't give a flying you know what about the games or accessories, which will not be in short supply.

Here's a clue: The people who end up buying those ebayed systems end up going to your local gamestops/ebs to buy games and shit anyway, so this argument doesn't work. A system sale is still a system sale regardless of how many are bought and sold through other channels.

Anyway this owns the whole ebayer prevention argument anyway:

I manage an EB and have not seen or heard about this deal. As far as the Ebayers reserving multple systems argument, the reserves are all computerized. We can see from store to strore to see if there are any matching last names or phone numbers. When the 360 launched, we had to call a couple people and inform them they were only getting one system and they had to choose which store it was from.

Here's to hoping for a real preorder system in the continental states!

Pellham said:
Again, why do retailers care? A sale is a sale is a sale, regardless of who buys the system. You shouldn't give a shit if it's a mom or little johnny or badass gamer # 2534 or ebayer #25 who buys the system.

Here's a clue: The people who end up buying those ebayed systems end up going to your local gamestops/ebs to buy games and shit anyway, so this argument doesn't work. A system sale is still a system sale regardless of how many are bought and sold through other channels.

The chances that the ebayee buys games at the same store the ebayer bought the console from is slim to non-existant. Stores care a hell of alot more about their own performance than the company as a whole.

I see this more of a way of controlling the madness while making some sweet bank anyway. If pre-orders weren't limited in some way there'd be a hell of alot of crybaby legitimate consumers waving their fists at the stores.

helium121

Banned
The Ebay argument: If a customer buys one system and no games or accessories to sell on Ebay, the store has a 1 tie ratio. Companies like Sony or Nintendo will restock depending on the tie ratio of the company. The more games and accessories sold with a system equals a better tie ratio and more systems from the vendor to sell.

Yeah, that is a lie above

Firestorm

So like, if anyone's going to be pre-ordering by trading in Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2) or Skies of Arcadia: Legends (GCN), the EB at Metrotown in Burnaby BC would be a good place.

Just saying, ya know?
Oh, and send me a PM as soon as you do :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
PezRadar said:
Great lie.

So you're saying the employee lied? What does doing that accomplish?

Like everyone else I'm glad I no longer regularly shop at these stores.

DarienA

Christopher said:
To make his day by "crushing" the PS3 through a phone call ...some people have no lives Darien.

<sigh> Must be a MS or Nintendo fan. ;)

Just called another store and they said they probably won't be taking reservations...

The word clusterf**k comes to mind....

helium121

Banned
Just like there are fanboys on these forums, there are fanboys who work at EB/Gamestop or any other retailer that like nothing more than to promote their favorite system.

Ponn

Banned
DarienA said:

Just called another store and they said they probably won't be taking reservations...

PS2, deja vu. Just resign to camping out or waiting till after the new year.

I really liked the idea that was rumored about Sony handling the preorder allocations online then shipping to stores.

DarienA said:

Its more like you are calling a part timer that works 5-10 hrs a week. He doesnt keep up with news and since he doesnt know he will say something so you can go away.

Just keep checking back regularly, the internet will always inform too.

And yes you got a Nin/MS fanboy most likely.

explorer

For the people who still don't get it:

Hawaii-Islands.gif

It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!

It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!

Ponn01 said:
PS2, deja vu. Just resign to camping out or waiting till after the new year.

I really liked the idea that was rumored about Sony handling the preorder allocations online then shipping to stores.
Some people work and don't have time to camp out.

All I want to do is go and put my money on a goddamn system and get it on launch day. Is that so hard? Shouldn't be, at least where Wii is concerned.

explorer said:
For the people who still don't get it:

Hawaii-Islands.gif

It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!

It's HAWAII ONLY!!!!
The trade-in thing is only for Hawaii?

Duderz

Banned
Because it seems people either don't read or missed this post, I'll go over it again:

Duderz said:
Why doesn't someone just call a GameStop store in Hawaii and see what the deal is?

EDIT: **** this shit I'll do it myself.

Guy said they just put their posters up and starting Monday you can come in but must trade in $50 worth of stuff to pre order a Wii or PS3

So..sounds like it is confirmed in Hawaii.

FYI, I called

GameStop #3518
Kapolei S/C
91-590 Farrington Highway
Kapolei HI, 96707 US
(808)674-1158

MrNibbles

Banned
Funny, I thought my money said "Good for all debts public and private"

**** this shit.
Week/few days prior for accessories (some games maybe)
Day of, midnight, for Wii & games

Duderz said:
Because it seems people either don't read or missed this post, I'll go over it again:
It being confirmed in Hawaii doesn't tell us if it's confirmed anywhere else, which is what everyone who doesn't live in Hawaii wants to know.

For the record, I called my local GameStop (as I will do every day until I can reserve it) and the girl on the phone said it was likely just a $50 deposit and knew nothing of any sort of trade-in only deal. I live in Minnesota.

I never knew GAF had so many stupid people.

People are screaming "HAWAII ONLY" and then we get replies like

"I'm pretty sure thats faked/"

Amazing.

Duderz

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
It being confirmed in Hawaii doesn't tell us if it's confirmed anywhere else, which is what everyone who doesn't live in Hawaii wants to know.

Except it was mentioned earlier in the thread that it is a test-run only taking place in Hawaii.

Sounds to me that if this preorder situation is successful there, they'll bring it here.

awww...my EB giftcard, that has $500 on it, is what I was going to use to get a Wii. now I have to trade some stuff in? shit.

which would require less hassle: trading stuff in for a $50 deposit or just waiting for the online bundles with crappy accessories?

EDIT: wait, what's this Hawaii stuff?

john2kx

M3wThr33 said:
im pretty sure you didnt read thread

Who would want to? It's 8 pages of nothing but FUD and people confirming that GS/EB sucks, or they were going to wait for their console(s) anyway, etc..

i did read the thread. :(

DarienA

A mod should edit the first post or the title to let folks know this is just a test run in Hawaii.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Oneself said:
Told you f**kers I was not dreaming. And I'm not from Gatineau.:lol

And by the way, it's not 100% sure to happen and no exact date is set. But if it happens, it will be the same for all of Canada. They talked about it in last week-end's annual managers meeting.

Will PC games count????

I have games like Prey, Swat 4, FEAR etc all new.

**** this shit i'll just buy a Xbox360 when Forza 2 comes out **** Sony and **** Ebay Games.

BradVanDam said:
im pretty sure thats fake/.

That was scary. I saw your icon, thought it was me because I've been using the same icon, but then realized I wasn't using it anymore, and... yeah :lol

ZELDA POWER

crunker99

Here is an update, one of the readers on my website contacted me and told me he worked for gamesotp and this was the reason:

This is, in fact, true for stores in Hawaii and perhaps some other areas. They are a test market for the idea. If it works, GameStop will roll it out at a later date nation wide. The reason it does not say EB Games on the sineage is the lack of EB branded stores in Hawaii.

of course, i cannot verify his/her employment, but it sure sounds plausible

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/3872/

hope that sheds some light

crunker99

PezRadar said:
Just thought you wanted to know this was said like 3-4 pages ago..

ah k cool, i didnt even check, i just got a forum message form one of my readers, guess it is true then, just wanted to keep u guys informed

Pellham said:

An ebayer will come in who has absolutely no interest in gaming. He's only interested in the system and what it will net him on ebay. The stores make virtually nothing on the system. This is the one and only time the store will see this person during the lifetime of this console.

You sell the system to a gamer and you make money off them for the next four, five, six years with repeat purchase of games and accessories. Get it now or is it still too tough for you. You think the only guys ebaying are gamers? You live in a fantasy world. Soccer moms are going to beat you in line these days so they can have extra money for xmas shopping.

brocke

Banned
Also, there will be a lot of stores in general (not just EB/Gamestop), that will be doing some shady behind the scenes stuff at launch. I've heard from some people I know at Best Buy that they are going to buy half the shipment of consoles as soon as the shipment comes in. Supposingly they will take it home and then charge themselves for it on launch day. Seriously messed up stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
brocke said:
Also, there will be a lot of stores in general (not just EB/Gamestop), that will be doing some shady behind the scenes stuff at launch. I've heard from some people I know at Best Buy that they are going to buy half the shipment of consoles as soon as the shipment comes in. Supposingly they will take it home and then charge themselves for it on launch day. Seriously messed up stuff.

Most retailers have new systems sent directly to the store manager to prevent this, Im almost posative that Best buy did that for their 360 launch, as did others.

MrDaravon

DrForester said:
Most retailers have new systems sent directly to the store manager to prevent this, Im almost posative that Best buy did that for their 360 launch, as did others.

That's still only as good as the Store Manager is. I know many shady things that went down during the PS2 launch at the EB I used to work at.

brocke

Banned
DrForester said:

And a lot of the store managers don't care, as long as each transaction is billed to a different person and that person doesn't have an employee's name.

brocke

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
That's still only as good as the Store Manager is. I know many shady things that went down during the PS2 launch at the EB I used to work at.

Yeah it actually is quite easy to do. You simply buy most of them with cash, and then put a few under wife's maiden name credit card, or friend's credit card etc. Just thinking about it sickens me.

crunker99

alot of managers i know go both ways, some are doing WHATVER they can to do shady shit, and imean WHATEVER, and other are doing WHATEVER they can to PREVENT shady shit, and i mean WHATEVER

it really comes down to teh head honcho

Amir0x

Banned
god i just wish they would start it already so I can make my final launch plans. just want it to be over with... it'd be nice to be able to switch over to EBGames

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
god i just wish they would start it already so I can make my final launch plans. just want it to be over with... it'd be nice to be able to switch over to EBGames
I really dont think a Wii will be that hard to find, to be honest. You could probably wait a few days and walk into a store for one. I don't think it's going to be too terribly popular this Christmas. PS2/360/DS have that covered.

Top Bottom