• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Says The Last Guardian Calls Made in Error

Levyne

Banned
Yup that's the message I got all right.
Its over, dudes. No big deal but I definitely woul have enjoyed this game.

I've seen you give up early on too many Saints games to know by now that you don't decide the hands of fate!

In fact, you giving up on this game only furthers my conviction that it will see the light of day!

Hold Me

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
SCEJ...

ibsI1S6x5Osfzp.gif

Beth Cyra

There's a few possibilities here

1) Total mistake, Gamestop fucked up, they meant to put in some other game but accidentally ticked the box for The Last Guardian.

2) Sony fucked up. Wires were crossed, they told Gamestop and Gamestop alone the wrong thing, there's been no news on The Last Guardian.

3) Game's doing to PSN, thus not having a retail presence at all.

4) Game is not getting a U.S. release, Sony shrugs and says "PS3's region free, anyway."

5) Game is actually canceled, whether it was taking forever, Ueda and Sony just couldn't work together, the game quality was too poor to release, Sony decided to cut their losses, etc.

Either 1 or a combo of 3/4, PSN release in America and PSN/Blu Ray in Japan is my guess.

faridmon

1) Total mistake, Gamestop fucked up, they meant to put in some other game but accidentally ticked the box for The Last Guardian.

2) Sony fucked up. Wires were crossed, they told Gamestop and Gamestop alone the wrong thing, there's been no news on The Last Guardian.

4) Game is not getting a U.S. release, Sony shrugs and says "PS3's region free, anyway."

5) Game is actually canceled, whether it was taking forever, Ueda and Sony just couldn't work together, the game quality was too poor to release, Sony decided to cut their losses, etc.

This is not helpful. You just ticked the boxes of everything possible. Which one is the most likely. I go with 1 or 2. It happned before.... Right?

sajj316

Well, Final Fantasy Versus 13 doesn't exist on the Gamestop website. Does that mean it doesn't exist? Who's pre-ordered this game through Gamestop?

Come on don't bring reason into this you spill all the fun of seeing the fanboys cry :p.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
As excited as I am for the game, I think the impact its cancellation will have on fanboys everywhere will provide me more entertainment than the game ever could.

This is an APOCALYPTIC scenario!

Derrick01

Banned
Man SCEJ is just a dumpster fire this gen. Absolutely embarrassing to see how they've handled themselves this gen.

That being said I'll still be surprised if it's cancelled. How many years and millions does it take Sony to pull the plug? Well judging from this and LA Noire we're looking at ~5 years and at least $50 million :lol

jcm

Honestly, is there any dev shop more fucked up than SCEJ? If they weren't part of Sony they'd have gone bankrupt years ago.

Edit: Whether it's true or not, do any of us doubt that it could be true? That alone says a ton about the state of SCEJ.

This is not helpful. You just ticked the boxes of everything possible. Which one is the most likely. I go with 1 or 2. It happned before.... Right?

Wasn't meant to be helpful, just to outline what it could be in bite-size form.

I can not remember a situation where 1 or 2 specifically happened before without the game actually being canceled and brought back to life.

Missing at least 1 possibility
Game isn't actually cancelled but Gamestop wants to remove all the preorders off their balance sheet to clean it up right before the end of the quarter. Pretty sure the games that are preordered show up as a liability until they actually deliver the game and since there isn't any clue as too when TLG will release they decided to stop carrying over that liability to every quarter.

If this game is honestly in a state where it is not completable after this many years - Sony really needs to reconsider their Japanese studio structure or something. This and the GT5 situations are not painting a good light on that side of the company.

Sony REP: IT'S NOT CANCELLED
- Says Kotaku
for the people that do not want to give clicks:
GameStop Says The Last Guardian is Canceled, Sony Says It’s Not

Customers of the world's largest dedicated video game retailer were shocked today when an automated phone call went out declaring the cancellation of Team Ico's eagerly-anticipated PlayStation 3 exclusive The Last Guardian. Say it isn't so, Sony!

While it is true that The Last Guardian creator Fumito Ueda recently vacated his position at the head of Sony's Team Ico, we've been told on several occasions that the move would in no way affect the development of the PlayStation 3 boy and his giant bird-thing game.

Yet now GameStop is telling customers the game has been cancelled. Indeed the game has been removed from the company's online website, and calls to two retail locations indicate it's no longer in their point-of-sale system either. Does GameStop know something we don't? Is the game canceled?

According to Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Patrick Seybold, the cancelation is not a real thing. "This is not true." It doesn't get much clearer than that.

So what gives, GameStop? I've reached out to the retailer for comment, and will update this post as soon as I receive a response. Until then, The Last Guardian is still a going concern; Sony says so.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
^ Sony guys know SCEJ exist ? also one super fast respond for Sony... very interesting.

It's entirely possible that The Last Guardian will be released.

Just not in the U.S. or in 2012.

I'd imagine we'll hear something from Sony in the next couple of days or weeks.

Maybe ...But at this point it do we want it? I mean.. with all development hell going on it will most likely be an abortion and might end like a broken joke just like Duke Nukem Forever or L.A Noire, better to just let it die as Ueda's lost unreleased masterpiece in our memories.

Top Bottom