• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Lain

60_gig_PS3 said:
It still gives everyone the same limitations and advantages plus the gameplay can be tuned better if there's one control method.

More options are better when it comes to controls. Tilt only controls would suck, as not everyone finds them fun, accurate or simply worth the time to fumble with.
I only wish developers would get it already, especially with FPSs on console.

luca_29_bg

Elios83 said:
It's the most technically advanced and complete engine for real time graphics seen so far without any doubt.
And the only serious competitor I see in the future is from Naughty Dog (but I wouldn't rule out surprises with Cell usage from Master Kojima).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Uncharted where are you :D :D :D :D

seriously there is much going on screen! Especially in that boss fight video (big creatures floating in the sky, water physics, big ass monster, and your dragon)

This is next gen. I wish they'd scrap the ground combat though! It looks lame

ypo

Is this not the most unbelievabely technologically advanced game ever?

It's the most technically advanced and complete engine for real time graphics seen so far without any doubt.

It definitely is. There is just no contest out there. The amount of the details on screen is ridiculous.

ELS-01X

Banned
Elios83 said:
And the only serious competitor I see in the future is from Naughty Dog (but I wouldn't rule out surprises with Cell usage from Master Kojima).
For what they've shown so far, they're both FAR below Factor 5.

spwolf

ELS-01X said:
For what they've shown so far, they're both FAR below Factor 5.

isnt HS engine being able to control >2,400 enemies on screen at once? All of them being individually controlled...

ELS-01X

Banned
spwolf said:
isnt HS engine being able to control >2,400 enemies on screen at once? All of them being individually controlled...
At 720p in a completely barren environment. Also, we haven't seen how smart they actually are.

manxor

That developer video's by far the best. I can't believe how detailed the modeling is when you get up close.

Still not digging the fire effects (temp?), but that boss battle got me hyped.

ypo

Another thing is how smooth the framerate is in these 2 videos even with so much stuff going on at the same time.

JB1981

This is absolutely so completely bought. This looks like the first game on the PS3 that shows the ways in which the console is going to distinguish itself from the 360. We're finally seeing what this thing is capable of doing (to some degree). 2008 is going to be amazing.

Lince

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
yea and the final game will be locked at 30

I love locked frame rates! It ****ing ruleS!!

a bit OT but... locked framerates in certain games such as Resistance FOM (Manchester level comes to mind) make the hardware look so powerful when you have a huge firefight going on with lots of enemies, debris flying everywhere etc and the game won't drop a single frame, it was the first thing on PS3 that made me say "wow"... then came these developer walkthrough videos :D

Lince said:
a bit OT but... locked framerates in certain games such as Resistance FOM (Manchester level comes to mind) make the hardware look so powerful when you have a huge firefight going on with lots of enemies, debris flying everywhere etc and the game won't drop a single frame, it was the first thing on PS3 that made me say "wow"... then came these developer walkthrough videos :D

yeah and they make me look like such a ****ing idiot for wasting hundreds of dollars upgrading my pc and still getting slowdowns in bf1942. PS3 FTW

also Resistance rocks!! So much shit going on screen and zero slowdown!! Power of cell indeed

PS360

Banned
Downloadable content pretty much confirmed from one of those videos so...I'm liking where this is going!!!!!!!!!!

Also, a Lair private space in Home???? (not mentioned in interviews just something I thought of). Could be cool.

InterMoniker said:
Yeah it looks pretty cool. I just hope it's small subtle movements.. So your not waggling all over the place.

you dont have to worry about that. In one intervie he said that you dont have to make a monkey out of your self and then proceeded to make a monkey out of himself. but i cant find it. he said you can make small motions.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
doh - i was lookign at the IGN movies, not gametrailers.

Wowzers - yeah, this looks way smoother and has stupidly impressive scale.

Import required!

DemonSwordsman said:
you dont have to worry about that. In one intervie he said that you dont have to make a monkey out of your self and then proceeded to make a monkey out of himself. but i cant find it. he said you can make small motions.
Awesome, cause I'll take this sixaxis over analog sticks if it uses subtle movements. :D

yeah and they make me look like such a ****ing idiot for wasting hundreds of dollars upgrading my pc and still getting slowdowns in bf1942. PS3 FTW

also Resistance rocks!! So much shit going on screen and zero slowdown!! Power of cell indeed

The only thing I've got for my PC is a cheap Graphics card 7600 gs for like $140. But there's no way in hell I'm gonna upgrade my PC anytime soon, because if I did I would have to drop a lot of $$$

Plus when I set up my card finding the right driver was a pain in the ass. I hate having to jump through hoops with drivers/patches/graphix settings Just let me play the damn game!

Did PC gaming breed all the anti-aliasing anisotropic-filtering nit pickers?

nib95

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
wow people went from its a ps1 game to AMAZING lol

Trolls call it a PS1 game. Everyone else with at least a thread of sense knows otherwise.
The game looks phenomenal and the scale is just jaw dropping. And I though Oblivion was massive in scale. This is just incredible. The boss alone is a mile long lol. And to think, the level of detail on every building even though you can see hundreds in the distance. Crazy stuff. Proof of what the PS3 is capable of when properly developed for.

Mrbob

I know the devs said this is 1080P/30.

Any chance it'll also be 720P/60???

The only thing that looks a little weak is the ground combat. Otherwise this game looks amazing. The battles in the sky are going to be awesome.

JB1981 said:
I'm hoping the game will support 1080i (as GT HD does). My Sony CRT likes 1080i a lot.

btw in the cowboy may cry thread (Where I got banned), you said you were glad admins were taking out the trash. I wondering what's your beef with me? Not that I care (internet lolz) but i am curious

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DCharlie said:
doh - i was lookign at the IGN movies, not gametrailers.

Wowzers - yeah, this looks way smoother and has stupidly impressive scale.

Import required!

:lol

I was wondering at first why you said the framerate was worst.

JB1981

Doom_Bringer said:
btw in the cowboy may cry thread (Where I got banned), you said you were glad admins were taking out the trash. I wondering what's your beef with me? Not that I care (internet lolz) but i am curious
i don't have a beef with you. that was a more general comment and not specifically aimed at you at all, Doom.

JB1981

Doom_Bringer said:
It's the first level, where the foreigners attack your homeland thus starting the war
with the waterfall and the palace? really? wow

I hope the game is able to top that. maybe the most amazing setting i've ever seen in a game

JB1981 said:

I hope the game is able to top that. maybe the most amazing setting i've ever seen in a game

yea I think so! Just going by what I have read and heard from the Interviews. I personally thought the night level with the giant rotating, fire breathing stone heads was more impressive even though the quality was shit. I just love the stormy night, rainy settings! Awesome stuff

JB1981 said:

In the second dev video he talks about the explosions in the water and fluid dynamics. Then says theres a level later in the game that uses the fluid dynamics a lot. Sounds intriguing IMO

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JB1981 said:

Yeah they said it gets better later in the game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JB1981 said:

There's another city in the game - the capitol city of the attackers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Woot I'm alive again.

Anyway yeah the new videos are definitively better, I just think they should delay the game. They need to fix the framerate issues and polish up the animations/transitions. Often we don't know what happened (like the guy killing the other rider in the air).

Oh and for the grass, you know what? It's really not necessary. Just remove it, it stands out a mile away and just looks bad. I don't think the visuals benefit in any way from that, so I'm sure we can all agree we could do without it:)

Anyway that's how I see it, the game will need some good polish, but with the release date being supposedly only three months away I fear they will only hack away at the game instead of polishing it just to get the framerate up:/

Lain

This game is simply breathtaking (I finally went and watched the GT videos).
I said WOW when watching them.

character modelling in this game is better than oblivion (playing the game right now) which is incredible given that this is even bigger scale, the city looks better as well.... day one for me

peace

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Ok, I said I'd attempt to create something that I feel the fireballs should look like. I really hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes (if any Factor 5 guys are reading this, sorry). I just really want this game to be kick ass and the FX are really naff which compared to the rest of the game is such a shame.

I'll upload an animated version soon. It's set up really basic, just with a few planes so any engine should be able to handle it easy.

lairfireballrw7.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yoboman said:
I agree the fire must be fixed up. It looks really weak. Especially the explosions

Sprite-based effects need to die. Poor fire effect really hampers the wow factor here. I hope it's a placeholder :/

Thunderbear

TTP said:
Sprite-based effects need to die. Poor fire effect really hampers the wow factor here. I hope it's a placeholder :/

Well pretty much any effects are sprites and you are not going to get away from that any time soon. A sprite is nothing more than a texture applied to a plane or planes streaming out of a particle system that are set to face the camera at all times.

You just have to be really smart about it, and with the PS3 and Xbox360 you can just afford a lot more memory to be spent on them. I have a feeling Lair is really using up all its memory and that's why the fire effects are so bad looking but IMO you can create something a lot better without using too much memory. Seeing as how it's such a central effect to the game, I think it deserves a bit however.

antiloop

Considering the scope of the game maybe they won't have time/can't afford to fix some things. But there is always the sequel (I hope)

Graphics are good enough IMO. They should focus on the gameplay.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thunderbear said:
Well pretty much any effects are sprites and you are not going to get away from that any time soon. A sprite is nothing more than a texture applied to a plane or planes streaming out of a particle system that are set to face the camera at all times.

Well, yeah. What needs to die is actually making those effects look like they are not based on what they are :p Hint: Resistance flame thrower/air-fuel granade

Forsete

Gold Member
I agree regarding the fire effects.. UGHLEYH.. In fact, I think most of the smoke effects are sub-par.

They should request the fluffy cloud code from the Warhawk devs. And I know where the can find the best fire effects, Resistance. :)

PS3_Warhawk_010-1280.jpg

Thunderbear

I won't do any more than this because I am worried that it just annoys someone who worked on this, but I am a big believer in putting filters on cameras to bring the color palette together a bit. They do it in film all the time, and IMO they should do it in more games. Obviously you'd have different palettes for different scenarios, but an example:

lairpalettebr8.jpg

Top Bottom