• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thunderbear said:
I won't do any more than this because I am worried that it just annoys someone who worked on this, but I am a big believer in putting filters on cameras to bring the color palette together a bit. They do it in film all the time, and IMO they should do it in more games. Obviously you'd have different palettes for different scenarios, but an example:

But then ppl will say it's all too [dominant color]-ish.

(I do agree with you tho)

Norml

Gamespot says it moving into alpha stage-- Lair is currently moving into the alpha phase of development, which means all of the major features have been implemented.

IGN says its a alpha build-- The version we saw was an alpha build.

So is all this just early stuff like halos alpha, but just not time stamped with alpha on the video.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
TTP said:
But then ppl will say it's all too [dominant color]-ish.

(I do agree with you tho)

Yeah, I think it's all about doing it "right". I haven't really heard many people complain that The Matrix was too green as an example which had a green filter on it through all the scenes in the Matrix.

I think one problem is that Hideo Kojima with his latest MGS4 trailer pulled all the colors a little bit too much and lost all the color detail. That's just my view tho, I still think it's amazing looking. But I can understand why people think it's a bit too homogenous.

I don't like comparing games to movies, but I think colors are colors and are equally important no matter what the medium.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
New videos look leaps and much better than IGNS. Loved the dev commentary. Field of vision and sense of scale are OMFGBBQ

pswii60

TheProfessor said:
New videos look leaps and much better than IGNS. Loved the dev commentary. Field of vision and sense of scale are OMFGBBQ

Agreed. The GT vids have seriously wowed me more than ANY other game we've seen for PS3. I can't wait to play this game on my HDTV. Even if the game sucks (which I hope it won't) it'll be a day one purchase to satisfy the graphics whore side to me.

But I can't wait to see what Factor 5's other project is. If they are doing a Turrican game to a similar scale then :O

Tieno

Forsete said:
I agree regarding the fire effects.. UGHLEYH.. In fact, I think most of the smoke effects are sub-par.

They should request the fluffy cloud code from the Warhawk devs. And I know where the can find the best fire effects, Resistance. :)
Capcom? Lost Planet and DMC4

Dahbomb

TheProfessor said:
Agreed. I just want the game play to have some level of "depth" as well as diversity in the various set pieces but from what I have seen I like.

pswii60

Tieno said:
Capcom? Lost Planet and DMC4

Yep, Lost Planet explosions are the best I've seen yet. Crackdown's were in a different style but looked very impressive too.

The only things that let down Lair IMO are the explosions and the sprite grass. But while it can almost certainly be forgiven considering everything else is so jaw droppingly amazing, I can't help think that a couple more months development could have given us (or could still give us?) real grass and some better explosion effects.

Either way, the game still looks friggin' amazing so I'm just being fussy now.

I think the grass is 3d, at least it looks good to me, barring the blurriness, and barring a couple of the times when you see it from a distance (thought that vid looked terribly compressed)

peace

pswii60

nelsonroyale said:
I think the grass is 3d, at least it looks good to me, barring the blurriness, and barring a couple of the times when you see it from a distance (thought that vid looked terribly compressed)

peace

Maybe, I just got the feeling the grass was 'following' you, similar to the shrubs in Motorstorm. COD3 still has the best grass ever, and other devs should take note.

Oni Jazar

pswii60 said:
The only things that let down Lair IMO are the explosions and the sprite grass. But while it can almost certainly be forgiven considering everything else is so jaw droppingly amazing, I can't help think that a couple more months development could have given us (or could still give us?) real grass and some better explosion effects.

Not just explosions, I think all the fire effects need work.

Ceb

cicatriz said:
This should be better, I renamed the HQ ver on accident :p

lairwat.gif

Save for the initial ripple, the water doesn't seem to move like it should when a giant snake dives into it.

Hagi23

pswii60 said:
Maybe, I just got the feeling the grass was 'following' you, similar to the shrubs in Motorstorm. COD3 still has the best grass ever, and other devs should take note.
yeah cause we all know great grass makes for a great game. :lol

lol @ anyone worrying about the grass i could see if you were smoking it. :D

le.phat

Ceb said:
Save for the initial ripple, the water doesn't seem to move like it should when a giant snake dives into it.

the head gives much more resistance then its streamlined body...i guess....
it pretty logical really, when you poke a watery surface with your finger its the initial contact that causes distortion, not the entire finger .

szaromir

Banned
It's funny that Lair uses the same techniques for explosions as GRAW2, but in GRAW2 they are the most incredible explosions ever and here they are atrocious. I of course that more resources are apent on explosion in GRAW2 of course.
Lair is impressive as tech demo, but it stands out in many and yet it falls short in others. They should balance things a bit IMO.

Ceb

le.phat said:
the head gives much more resistance then its streamlined body...i guess....
it pretty logical really, when you poke a watery surface with your finger its the initial contact that causes distortion, not the entire finger .

But he's all scaley and shit, not smooth like a finger, so the segmented nature of his body should cause wave motions throughout the entire dive. Anyway, I'm mostly disappointed that the initial impact doesn't splash water up on the adjacent cliffs. Shows that there are still limitations to the water physics when it can't actually spill over onto a landmass.

antiloop

Ceb said:
But he's all scaley and shit, not smooth like a finger, so the segmented nature of his body should cause wave motions throughout the entire dive. Anyway, I'm mostly disappointed that the initial impact doesn't splash water up on the adjacent cliffs. Shows that there are still limitations to the water physics when it can't actually spill over onto a landmass.

No way, the water physics aren't perfect?! Do any other game even have water physics like these? :)

Raist

Banned
I think the grass looks weird not because it's a bmp (I don't think it is) but mostly because the color is too flashy (it kindy pops out of the scenery) and uniform in a single bush. And the fact that it looks like they just cloned the same model a billion times doesn't help either.

But honestly, I really don't give a **** about grass in this game, neither do I do because the sea dragon makes only one ripple and the water doesn't splash around much :lol

Considering the ridiculous scale and amount of details in this game, I'd call this extreme nit-picking :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ceb said:

It's a 1st gen games guys.

I still think many people are forgetting this. They couldn't implement all the things we are asking for in the time frame that they have.

szaromir

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
It's a 1st gen games guys.

I still think many people are forgetting this. They couldn't implement all the things we are asking for in the time frame that they have.
We're fine with that, but when developers themselves say "look at how amazingly water reacts to dragon's fire or sea monsters" and it fact it looks really simple I think it's ok to point that out.

No doubt that physical interactions will progress in future games.

antiloop

szaromir said:
We're fine with that, but when developers themselves say "look at how amazingly water reacts to dragon's fire or sea monsters" and it fact it looks really simple I think it's ok to point that out.

No doubt that physical interactions will progress in future games.

I see. Kind of like when people though Super Mario Bros 1 on the NES had awesome graphics when it came out because no other game at the time could match it?

Raist

Banned
szaromir said:

you're talking about the dev walkthrough videos ?
They only said the water was reacting to explosions, and they've got another level with intensive use of fluid dynamics that' they'll show later. They didn't mention the sea dragon level, and they didn't really sound like you said, but I may have missed it.

Ceb

antiloop said:
No way, the water physics aren't perfect?! Do any other game even have water physics like these? :)

I'm not one of the haters - I think the game looks pretty damn amazing and I'm sure Factor 5 will iron out the framerate and weak special effects. But for all the hubbub about the water, I don't think it behaves as naturally as it should. I suppose that could improve too, but I'm guessing the physics model is pretty much set in stone at this moment.

I expect Kojima's team to pay better attention to those finer details (like splashing water). Lair is still very nice though the most impressive thing is the massive scale.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hated the IGN vids, but those gametrailers developer commentaries are really impressive. And I do actually like the aesthetics in that level, at least from what I can see. They need to smooth some things out like the LOD etc. but with the sheer scale there it is hard not to be impressed.

antiloop

Ceb said:
I'm not one of the haters - I think the game looks pretty damn amazing and I'm sure Factor 5 will iron out the framerate and weak special effects. But for all the hubbub about the water, I don't think it behaves as naturally as it should. I suppose that could improve too, but I'm guessing the physics model is pretty much set in stone at this moment.

Yea, I know what you mean. I feel the same about Crysis graphics, it isn't that realistic in motion. Especially not the water.

Not at all what it's hyped up to be though.

But it has the most realistic graphics so far in a game IMO.

This game may be at the top three in my list of 'most technically impressive games this gen so far' but, damn, some of the art choices are bad.

I mean I was stunned by the dev videos and how beautiful the city is but some elements just don't fit in the inviroment. Soldiers and creatures in ground battles look bad and in general many artistic choices make some technically worse parts like textures and models to stand out and show their true ugliness in all its glory. I know you can't have 2000+ high poly soldiers or perfect textures in a game that you fly in a 32kmx32km enviroment but in most games devs know how to hide the technically bad parts of the games or make them part of the enviroment so they don't stand out (Gears imo is the best example this gen cleverly using textures, bump mapping and other effects to cover the inefficiences of the Unreal engine like low poly models) while Factor5 is doing exactly the opposite. I'm not that excited about the art choices on the dragons either.

Milhouse31 is right imo, there's lots of bad art in this game. Still thinking of buying the game though if gameplay is good since parts of the game like the city are so "OMFG!" amazing that you just want to try them.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Maybe this has been said but is the guy who is doing the voice over the guy who played O'Brien on Star Trek TNG? It sounds so much like him.

Game looks impressive though.

Safe Bet

Banned
Dragon Flame = Napalm

Dragons do not 'breath' fire, they eject a sticky flaming substance that adheres to anything it touches...

Well, mine does anyways...

Midas

Safe Bet said:
Dragon Flame = Napalm

Dragons do not 'breath' fire, they eject a sticky flaming substance that adheres to anything it touches...

Well, mine does anyways...

Where did you learn this? On Discovery?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

you are mixing up "penis" and "dragon"... AGAIN....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ceb said:

The best thing about the water as far as physics goes (imo) is the way the boats float on the water.

I felt like I was about to get sea sick looking at the way the ships move up and down with the waves in the ocean.

Did anybody else notice this?

I really like some of the art in this game, but I think some of the graphics need optimised to do it best justice...I think the guys armour looks really nice

peace

NeonBlade

Banned
lairwat.gif

Oh dear. What has my great Lair become. I guess it was just too good to be true, the game just looks void.

Is it me, or when the sea-wyrm was hit did its scales pop off like a chunk of chocolate or something.

Oh Factor 5. :(

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
wow, some of you guys are really nitpickers.

There you have some of the most impressive and the most epic graphics we have yet see, and you guys go complain about, OH MY GAWD, only the head splashes in the WATER!

You guys must really hate the PS3 or FACTOR 5 or something.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Doom_Bringer said:
fixed...

it's just a norm around here. MGS4, Uncharted, Lair, Motorstorm all suffered through this

yeah....I know...I just didn't want to come out and say it :)

bobbytkc said:

There you have some of the most impressive and the most epic graphics we have yet see, and you guys go complain about, OH MY GAWD, only the head splashes in the WATER!

Your words, not mine...

Raist

Banned
bobbytkc said:

Well yeah, you may say that's nitpicking to the max. But I guess some people pay more attention to some details, than other people do. I don't mind the bush in Motorstorm or Lair for instance, but I know people that find it fugly. (that said, they just saw screencaps of MS. IG it's less shocking)

Personally, I'm very shocked by the huge contrast between foreground details (extremely polished and sharp) and background details (extremely blurry) in games using the UE3 engine, and I think it looks like crap. I prefer a good level of textures and image quality everywhere. But when I mention this contrast to people, some say "what the hell are you talking about".

Perception is an amazing thing :p

Top Bottom