• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doom_Bringer said:
I guess if Lair were a sandbox game it just wouldn't work. Having levels in these games is very important

But hey D_B Lair is 32x32 kilometers. That's 1,024 kilometers!!!!!!!!

mckmas8808

kaching said:
Wikipedia says 44 square kilometers (17 square miles).

So square kilometers are different than just kilometers right? I forgot this stuff in high school.

So how many kilometers is 44 square kilometers?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mckmas8808 said:
So square kilometers are different than just kilometers right? I forgot this stuff in high school.

A kilometer is a measure of distance. That is, I live 10 kilometers from your house.

A square kilometer is a measure of area or space. That is, the area in this square is 10 kilometers squared. That is, a kilometer by kilometer square....ten of those.

Each level of LAIR is (substantially, but on this scale it doesn't really matter) smaller than San Andreas in total.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ugh, measurement problems...have the devs actually said "32x32 kilometers" or "32 square kilometers"? Because they're not the same.

mckmas8808

Y2Kevbug11 said:
A kilometer is a measure of distance. That is, I live 10 kilometers from your house.

A square kilometer is a measure of area or space. That is, the area in this square is 10 kilometers squared. That is, a kilometer by kilometer square....ten of those.

Each level of LAIR is (substantially, but on this scale it doesn't really matter) smaller than San Andreas in total.

So you are saying that San Andreas is 44 square kilometers, while each level in Lair is 32 kilometers?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
kaching said:
Ugh, measurement problems...have the devs actually said "32x32 kilometers" or "32 square kilometers"? Because they're not the same.

I'd wager 32 square kilometers. The other would be enormous.

mckmas8808 said:
So you are saying that San Andreas is 44 square kilometers, while each level in Lair is 32 kilometers?

A level can't be just kilometers. It's only a measure of distance that contains no space. A measure of size must be in square kilometers (for a 2 dimensional plane).

If the information we've been given is correct (32 square kilometers per level), you're looking at something that's like a little less than six kilometers wide by six kilometers long.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mckmas8808 said:

Dude.

Dude.

alterego

Y2Kevbug11 said:

I just watched the video again he says "worlds of 32 by 32 kilometres".
That would be 1024 square kilometres.

mckmas8808

Y2Kevbug11 said:

A level can't be just kilometers. It's only a measure of distance that contains no space. A measure of size must be in square kilometers (for a 2 dimensional plane).

If the information we've been given is correct (32 square kilometers per level), you're looking at something that's like a little less than six kilometers wide by six kilometers long.

Oh then hell that means each Lair level is bigger than San Andreas and Oblivion combined and then plus some more, because each level is 32x32 kilometers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:

Eggebrecht says '32 by 32' in the gametrailers vid.

i.e. 1024 km^2

Which does seem rather big. IIRC, not all levels are this size, but their largest are.

It's a bit different comparing an aerial game to a game like SA though, but I suppose one of the things Factor5 seems to be aiming for is maintaining a uniformly high level of detail from a 'ground perspective' to an aerial one, which is very ambitious.

Steroyd

mckmas8808 said:

The size of the game was measured per arena not per level.

Not sure how much of a difference that is mind you.

*EDIT*

Damn it again!!! >_< screw you guys I'm going home.

mckmas8808

kaching said:
You're right. Christ, if any single level in Lair even approaches that...

He's said in earlier interviews that a level is 32x32 square kilometers.

I'm surprised you forgot about that Kaching. I bet you Wollan would remember.

Steroyd

Though that is in reference to the engine's capabilities not necessarily the size of every level in the game. In comparison iirc, that's the size of Just Cause.

Wow maybe the myths are true that the game does use 4GB per level. <inserts Blu-ray reference>

Level/Arena that size with a RTS type engine running the troops to give different results each time, i wonder if the war would carry on if i went to the furthest corners of the level.

mckmas8808

Steroyd said:
Wow maybe the myths are true that the game does use 4GB per level. <inserts Blu-ray reference>

Level/Arena that size with a RTS type engine running the troops to give different results each time, i wonder if the war would carry on if i went to the furthest corners of the level.

There is NO myth. Julian himself said the levels were 4 GB per level. And I believe he also said that the fight does carry on without if you fight in another area. That's kinda the whole point of having 1,000 guys on each side of the war fighting each other.

A 1,000 of their guys are fighting 1,000 of your guys. You have to beat there 1,000 before they beat yours.

mckmas8808 said:

nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
He's said in earlier interviews that a level is 32x32 square kilometers.
What you're saying here is that it's 32 kilometers square, SQUARED AGAIN. Think about it.

I'm surprised you forgot about that Kaching. I bet you Wollan would remember.
I blame you, for messing up the measurement.

Raist

Banned
kaching said:
32 kilometers square, SQUARED AGAIN. Think about it.

356932056_f2ba10c7db_m.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
F5 + Artoon (Manabu Kusunoki) = Panzer Dragoon Saga 2

C'mon Sony... just goddamn do it.

:)

Why would Sony want to pay Sega for their license? If they would just buy the IP, that would be different but then I think it would be better to just have your own IP and your own set of myths and storylines.
Indifferent2.gif

mckmas8808

kaching said:
What you're saying here is that it's 32 kilometers square, SQUARED AGAIN. Think about it.

I blame you, for messing up the measurement.

Well damnit you knew what I meant. -_-

PS360

Banned
32x32 km? 32 km square km? 1024 km squared? 32 km squared? Square km square squared?

Jesus people.

THIS IS MADNESS!

"THIS...IS...MIDDLE SCHOOL MAAAAAAAAAATH!"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this game now unless it's 1024x1024 square kilometers squared. And that still doesn't tell us how high we can fly.

F--- it. *goes to play Just Cause*

Dante

The scale of this game is completly insane, and it's looking real solid in its Alpha build, i hope everything really comes together for hen in these final months.

FightyF

Banned
They claim they are streaming textures off the BluRay...but why not the Hard Drive?

Is it because the 20Gb models are slower than the 60Gb? Either way, you'd think it would be faster than off the BluRay drive...

Factor 5 has always proven themselves to be great in visuals, but as far as gameplay goes, I'm very weary.

1) Missions, as pointed out in the 1Up vid, could be as linear as they were in their Star Wars games.

2) No radar...will it affect dogfights negatively?

3) Will the game be as short as the Star Wars titles?

I plan to rent this one. If it was a sandbox game...or an RPG...I'd be all over it.

mckmas8808

kaching said:
I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this game now unless it's 1024x1024 square kilometers squared. And that still doesn't tell us how high we can fly.

F--- it. *goes to play Just Cause*

Kaching I GET IT! It's 1024 square kilometers big, while SA is 44 square kilometers.

USD

Why does the scale of the level matter that much? If anything, it's misrepresented, since the scale of the game is based more on the dragon, and not on the human. Plus the fact you're flying around at fairly high speed. Not to say the levels aren't big (they are), or that there is no focus on smaller stuff, with the massive amounts of troops and whatnot, but it makes comparisons with other games somewhat irrelevant.

mckmas8808

USD said:
but it makes comparisons with other games somewhat irrelevant.

No it doesn't. I want to feel how big the/that level is without playing it. I can use Vice City or San Andreas as a reference because I've played those two games and I've used a plane to fly around in both of those games. I know how big they feel.

And other can do the samething with Just Cause. If you've played that game you can use that as a reference to how big one level will be.

bud

this thread:

1. looks meh
2. looks pretty good
3. omg dev walkthrough f5 am gods
4. wuts a square mile?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

if this thread goes cubic, then i think at least 3 posters will have a melt down.

Top Bottom