• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Ynos Yrros said:
You really didn't pay attention to what was in in Lair's developer walkthrough. It seems that there is a ton of super detailed stuff being rendered at once, but it's not true. They are using texture streaming and progressive mesh, that's why things look amazing up close and from far away. I don't think that Lair is pushing more shaders/polygons than Uncharted.
Yeah Scale goes to LAIR, while teh grfx will probably go to Uncharted.

ELS-01X

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
You really didn't pay attention to what was in in Lair's developer walkthrough. It seems that there is a ton of super detailed stuff being rendered at once, but it's not true. They are using texture streaming and progressive mesh, that's why things look amazing up close and from far away. I don't think that Lair is pushing more shaders/polygons than Uncharted.
Yeah, I'm sure Uncharted doesn't use any kind of LOD :lol There's also quite a lot more going on in Lair than just polygons and shaders.
InterMoniker said:
:lol

InterMoniker said:
I'm not arguing which one looks better, I'm trying to say that in terms of "pushing" stuff they are quite comparable. Actually I think that other than animation, Lair looks superior to Uncharted on micro level.
I don't know what to think, there are pros and cons to each game, Lair is way more advanced on the technical side, but Uncharted also looks amazing and has flawless animations. I can't wait for both of those games, they aren't rivaling each other. What I can say though, is that I haven't seen game on other platforms that can compete with devolepers' efforts on PS3.

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm not arguing which one looks better, I'm trying to say that in terms of "pushing" stuff they are quite comparable. Actually I think that other than animation, Lair looks superior to Uncharted on micro level.
I don't know what to think, there are pros and cons to each game, Lair is way more advanced on the technical side, but Uncharted also looks amazing and has flawless animations. I can't wait for both of those games, they aren't rivaling each other. What I can say though, is that I haven't seen game on other platforms that can compete with devolepers' efforts on PS3.
No arguing here.
ELS-01X said:
Yeah, I'm sure Uncharted doesn't use any kind of LOD :lol There's also quite a lot more going on in Lair than just polygons and shaders.:lol
I'll be laughing when your proven wrong. And why would you say
I'm sure Uncharted doesn't use any kind of LOD

I don't think Ynos Yrros was saying that.

Oh I got what I shoud have written. Uncharted can't be as advanced as Lair, because of it's nature. It's not a war game, or a flying game. Jungle in which every leaf is 3D and dynamic lighting put on everything you can see is very impressive.

there you go, both games look as good as it gets in their respective genres. Lair actually looks light years better than other flying games.

Ynos Yrros said:

Hmmm, personally if uncharted has a huge seamless world at that level of graphics, Im sure it will hold up to Lair technically....both games will look incredible because they are both coming from graphical power houses....ND are certainly no less competant in that aspect than factor 5

peace

nelsonroyale said:
Hmmm, personally if uncharted has a huge seamless world at that level of graphics, Im sure it will hold up to Lair technically....both games will look incredible because they are both coming from graphical power houses....ND are certainly no less competant in that aspect than factor 5

peace
Yup, but they are limited by the genre of their game, you can't show as much detail in the jungle from human's perspective as you can in a kingdom, from 15000 ft.

This game looks so so in my opinion. Unless they can make the game play match those mock up CGI movies they showed early on, this game will be dead to me.

RavenFox

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Yup, but they are limited by the genre of their game, you can't show as much detail in the jungle from human's perspective as you can in a kingdom, from 15000 ft.
That depends but I see your point.

Mustaphadamus said:
This game looks so so in my opinion. Unless they can make the game play match those mock up CGI movies they showed early on, this game will be dead to me.

I hope you feel the same way about Halo 3 and every other game that has shown CG first.

Valkyr Junkie said:
I hope you feel the same way about Halo 3 and every other game that has shown CG first.
:lol Check this new photo of Uncharted it show a plane sequence Maybe you could be flying in Uncharted afterall

Edited contrast ratio

Another

mr_nothin

Banned
InterMoniker said:
:lol Check this new photo of Uncharted it show a plane sequence Maybe you could be flying in Uncharted afterall

Edited contrast ratio

lol
wtf, a new uncharted screen enters a lair thread..... out of nowhere

where did u get that?
is there a bigger size?
i cant see shit

Madman

Mustaphadamus said:
Uhhh, Lair or Uncharted.

mr_nothin said:
lol
wtf, a new uncharted screen enters a lair thread..... out of nowhere

where did u get that?
is there a bigger size?
i cant see shit

I was thinking of digging up the Official Uncharted thread but, since there's so much Uncharted debate going on in here.........

Realtime-Cutseens FTW!!!

Madman said:
Uhhh, Lair or Uncharted.
He's speaking of LAIR.

luca_29_bg

InterMoniker said:

Edited contrast ratio

Another

Please where this screens came from please :( :( :(

Kittonwy

Banned
InterMoniker said:

What what what? When did this pop up? How come I missed this?
Indifferent2.gif

ELS-01X said:
Looks meh.
Man STFU already. Sorry to be rude like that, but it is seriously not needed, at least not in this topic. Let's just allow Uncharted talk to finish, and let's wait until GT will show something new from Lair.

I want some more brutal footage.

ELS-01X

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Man STFU already. Sorry to be rude like that, but it is seriously not needed, at least not in this topic. Let's just allow Uncharted talk to finish, and let's wait until GT will show something new from Lair.

Truth hurts :lol

ELS-01X said:
Truth hurts :lol
ELS-01X said:
Looks meh.
ELS-01X said:
Wow, I've never seen crappy motion blur in a game before! :lol

:lol Your pathetic

The shot in the plane is really small and has horrible quality, plus it could be an old build.
Ynos Yrros said:

ELS-01X

Banned
InterMoniker said:
The shot in the plane is really small and has horrible quality, plus it could be an old build.
Therefore, it looks "meh".

Now quit contamining the thread with that inferior technological showpiece :)

luca_29_bg

InterMoniker said:
:lol Your pathetic

Don'r waste you time guy.You and i knows very well who are naughty dog and that unhcarted will be incredible when come out.Everything else is worthless so don't waster your preciuos time. :)

Deepblue

Banned
There are what look like brush strokes all over it (as in, the leaeves are two toned rather than having a gradient change). If it is a screenshot, the colors got compressed to hell.

Also:

1. Inexplicable black border.
2. No aliasing when the real screenshots we have seen do indeed have aliasing.

Until someone provides me with a link to something that says that is in game, I'll continue to believe that is a painting. I will fill my face with crow if it is, however.

Deepblue

Banned
DeepblueWA-paintedleaves.jpg

Look at this. Unless the game is running with 16-bit color, or the shot got compressed to hell (not likely considering the overall image quality), that color differentiation indicates brush strokes on a painting.

Deepblue said:

Look at this. Unless the game is running with 16-bit color, or the shot got compressed to hell (not likely considering the overall image quality), that color differentiation indicates brush strokes on a painting.

Please tell me why it doesn't look like this

313n8ud.jpg

There is a clear difference between the two

unchartedcompa4.jpg

theBishop

Banned
Deepblue said:
There are what look like brush strokes all over it (as in, the leaeves are two toned rather than having a gradient change). If it is a screenshot, the colors got compressed to hell.

Also:

1. Inexplicable black border.
2. No aliasing when the real screenshots we have seen do indeed have aliasing.

Until someone provides me with a link to something that says that is in game, I'll continue to believe that is a painting. I will fill my face with crow if it is, however.

paintingxa2.png

BLACK BORDERS!!!

Deepblue

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Please tell me why it doesn't look like this

313n8ud.jpg

There is a clear difference between the two

unchartedcompa4.jpg

balance-behind%20copy--screenshot_large.jpg

Natural color degradation, poly edges, aliasing, etc. None of these are present in ANY of the pictures you posted.

The differences are clear.

Deepblue said:
balance-behind%20copy--screenshot_large.jpg

Natural color degradation, poly edges, aliasing, etc.

The differences are clear.

now you are comparing the third person portion of the game to an on rails chase scene. Who knows the development status on each??? Maybe the chase scene is polished and has motion blur implemented while the third person game doesn't?

ELS-01X

Banned
Deepblue said:

That's the crappy motion blur.

Deepblue

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
now you are comparing the third person portion of the game to a on rails chase scene. Who knows the development status on each??? Maybe the chase scene is polished and has motion blur implemented while the third person game doesn't?
So they switched over to a paint brush filter? Please. That is a painting. Clear and simple.

Deepblue

Banned
ELS-01X said:
That's the crappy motion blur.
No, motion blur does not turn gradient colors into solid blobs of color. Sometimes I think these nuances are a little too much for a lot of people. I say this as someone who paints and does 3d. Also, the side I highlighted is not even blurred. Look at the other side of the screen, where there is indeed a motion blur effect indicated by the long strokes. A motion blur filter in the game would NOT blur two sides of the screen in different ways would it? >_<

Top Bottom