• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

ELS-01X

Banned
Deepblue said:
No, motion blur does not turn gradient colors into solid blobs of color. Sometimes I think these nuances are a little too much for a lot of people. I say this as someone who paints and does 3d.
Maybe done with Photoshop.

Deepblue

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
So far the Uncharted shots have been very inconsistent, it could be art who knows? I personally think it's motion blur
What? All of the in game shots I've seen have been consistent. There are two looks, the E3 look, and the GI look. The rest are paintings. I am *almost* willing to bet a ban that the jeep chase "screenshot" is in fact concept art.

theBishop

Banned
blurpt9.jpg

Deepblue said:
What? All of the in game shots I've seen have been consistent. There are two looks, the E3 look, and the GI look. The rest are paintings. I am *almost* willing to bet a ban that the jeep chase "screenshot" is in fact concept art.

I disagree!

balance-behind%20copy--screenshot_large.jpg

02drakesneakmd3.jpg

Huge difference between the two! I know its early and everything but still

Mmmkay

Almost? Bah, you're no fun. Just to clarify, your final opinion is that the jeep chase is hand drawn concept art, right?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Doom_Bringer said:
I disagree!

balance-behind%20copy--screenshot_large.jpg

02drakesneakmd3.jpg

Huge difference between the two! I know its early and everything but still

I think you forgot to post different screenshots:p The ones you want to compare are from E3. The two you posted are from the exact same batch, same build.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think the jeep scene could be either a render approximation of what the scene will look like, or indeed an in-engine shot that got some touch ups in photoshop, the same kind of stuff Ubisoft did with some of their screens for instance. The blur looks like zoom blur from Photoshop, that blur can look a bit inconsistent depending on the colors it works on, but we've seen similar zoom done in realtime as well.

Deepblue

Banned
Marconelly said:
I think the jeep scene could be either a render approximation of what the scene will look like, or indeed an in-engine shot that got some touch ups in photoshop, the same kind of stuff Ubisoft did with some of their screens for instance. The blur looks like zoom blur from Photoshop, that blur can look a bit inconsistent depending on the colors it works on, but we've seen similar zoom done in realtime as well.
Zoom blur would not reduce leaves to blobs of color. See theBishops post. That is a painting technique, that when viewed as a whole, gives the impression of realism, while the actual leaf has very little detail and or shading. In fact I'd argue that the plants in Uncharted look better than the painted ones, but the scene taken as a whole gives the impression of a much more detailed forest and draw distance.

Mmmkay

Marconelly said:
I think the jeep scene could be either a render approximation of what the scene will look like, or indeed an in-engine shot that got some touch ups in photoshop, the same kind of stuff Ubisoft did with some of their screens for instance.
I would go along with that too, though the image is way too heavily compressed and supersampled for my liking. I'd rather see it in its original form first.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Deepblue said:
Zoom blur would not reduce leaves to blobs of color.
It wouldn't, but it could be zoom blur (or even realtime blur) with photoshop smudge and paint touchups. I mentioned that and compared to what Ubi did. Their screens sometimes looked like half painting half realtime, probably because that's exactly what they were :)

Well, in any case, if they make the final chase scene have the same fidelity as that new screen (new for me at least) with tree trunk balancing, I'll be more than happy. I think that screen in some ways looks better than the jeep screen actually.

Deepblue

Banned
Marconelly said:
It wouldn't, but it could be zoom blur (or even realtime blur) with photoshop smudge and paint touchups. I mentioned that and compared to what Ubi did. Their screens sometimes looked like half painting half realtime, probably because that's exactly what they were :)

Well, in any case, if they make the final chase scene have the same fidelity as that new screen (new for me at least) with tree trunk balancing, I'll be more than happy. I think that screen in some ways looks better than the jeep screen actually.

I'll leave that as a possibility, in which case, the screen is still not honestly representative of the game.

While I agree many elements of the actual game are much more impressive, the appearance of the foliage is one aspect of the painting/shopped screen/whatever that is far beyond it. It has far more depth than the 2d leaves we see in the real screens. At least, that's my opinion.

ELS-01X said:
Yeah, but Lair looks better.
ELS-01X said:
Get a room :)
Dude STFU
angry.gif

yes I just stole that angry gif form Kittonwy's post
Deepblue said:
Thank you for proving my point:
DeepblueWA-paintedleaves.jpg

Their is no way you can argue that is the effect of a motion blur filter.
Funny I thought he was trying to prove that it could be in-game by showing what motion blur does to a screen shot..............

Deepblue said:
Quoted so you won't back out of it. Though I hope you get banned before that for trolling PS3 topics.

Deepblue

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Quoted so you won't back out of it. Though I hope you get banned before that for trolling PS3 topics.
When you post a concept painting as a screenshot, and I debunk that, you call that trolling? Are you really that incapable of logical argument, and instead must resort to accusing people of trolling with no tangible evidence? In fact, I am enamored with Uncharted. Simply put, it looks great. But I'm not so blinded that I'm going to call a sheep (a painting) a cow (a genuine screenshot).

Trolling may include some or all of the following:

"PS3 sucks so Uncharted does too."

"Those screens look like s**t."

And a recent example from one Robert San "Halo SUCKS ASS."

Mmmkay

chubigans said:
I like simple, elegant menus like that. Kinda like the PS3 UI really.
I was more intrigued by the 'Lair Online' menu option. Don't really need an option like that (which is usually used to 'switch' into online mode) if you're just having global leaderboards.

Also it seems that the plush CGI trailer is the game's attract mode.

theBishop

Banned
Mmmkay said:
I was more intrigued by the 'Lair Online' menu option. Don't really need an option like that (which is usually used to 'switch' into online mode) if you're just having global leaderboards.

Also it seems that the plush CGI trailer is the game's attract mode.

Its not just leaderboards, there's message boards, and lots of stat tracking. don't count on anything more.

Deepblue said:
When you post a concept painting as a screenshot, and I debunk that, you call that trolling? Are you really that incapable of logical argument, and instead must resort to accusing people of trolling with no tangible evidence? In fact, I am enamored with Uncharted. Simply put, it looks great. But I'm not so blinded that I'm going to call a sheep (a painting) a cow (a genuine screenshot).

Trolling may include some or all of the following:

"PS3 sucks so Uncharted does too."

"Those screens look like s**t."

And a recent example from one Robert San "Halo SUCKS ASS."
Pffffffffttt..... take that console war flameboy crap outa here

Kittonwy

Banned
theBishop said:
Its not just leaderboards, there's message boards, and lots of stat tracking. don't count on anything more.

I hope there are skins that I can get from getting medals!!! Like in Resistance.
Indifferent2.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kangu said:
HOLY SHIT. The shots of the dragon flying through the city are absolutely stunning. The best I've seen from LAIR yet. Really on a whole other level. The look of the game is growing on me tremendously. If they only had decent fireballs I'd say it'd be at the top of the current graphics mountain.

Yeah that part blew my mind too. The graphics are just crazy.

Kangu

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah that part blew my mind too. The graphics are just crazy.

You should make a GIF from the 3:16 mark in the IGN video to the 3:24 mark, it's just amazing.

Should probably make one from the 2:56 mark to the 3:02 mark as well, that bits also stunning.

ELS-01X said:
If it wasn't scripted.

daxterstupid.gif

Have you played the Jak and Daxter games??? They have some of the best animation seen in any last gen game EVER!

The Naughty Dog animators are really experienced, I think at least one of them worked at Pixar

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
TTP said:
Well, it's very similar to the Motorstorm one. Even the font used for the text is the same.

I started typing a response to that, and then realised I was actually making a post about distinguishing two typefaces. That way lies madness.

Top Bottom