• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top 10 Nintendo Systems

Majine

Banned
I found it weird that they start by saying backwards compatibility is off limits, but then include VC as an argument for the Wii.

But eh whatever.

Trago

I think the Gamecube should be higher and the N64 lower on the list. Gamecube had much better third party support than the N64.

For me:

10. Wii U
9. Wii
8. GB
7. N64
6. GBA
5. DS
4. 3DS
3. NES
2. Gamecube
1. SNES

I found it weird that they start by saying backwards compatibility is off limits, but then include VC as an argument for the Wii.

But eh whatever.

Right from the beginning, Wii VC also brought in many import titles never released in the west before. And for that (and in general) it also didn't limit itself to Nintendo consoles only.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I kinda think the Wii stomps all over the Gamecube, and I say that remembering that the Gamecube has some of my favorite games ever.

maxcriden

Listen to Max. He speaks the truth.

Wii U has some of the best first-party software ever released. GB suffers from the same issues as the original NES -- that being, some of its games have not aged very well at all.

Probably the only thing I agree with in this list is SNES being the top system. The amount of first and third party quality games on the system is overwhelming.

Thanks IC!

Did you get into Tropical Freeze yet? :)

We played DKC2/3 for the first time this past month or so and were really impressed with them immensely.

akileese

My list:

10. Wii U
9. GB
8. N64
7. Wii
6. 3DS
5. DS
4. NES
3. GBA
2. Gamecube
1. SNES

Looking back, I'm just not really that high on the N64. It was great for party games and it had some fantastic epics on it, but eh. GBA was basically a portable SNES. So many great RPGs on that system. I spend more time playing my backlit SP to this day than probably any other system I own.

The odd thing is that while we all disagree about 2-10, no one disagrees about SNES. To me, it's the best RPG system of all time. It just had so many amazing games from top to bottom. It's a damn shame that the carts themselves are starting to have a high failure rate.

Esque7

It's not exactly fair to rank systems by how they aged, you should really be ranking them by how they were during their respective time periods. Ranking when considering how a console has aged would automatically remove certain systems from any discussion, and it is not exactly the system's fault. N64 was the pioneer of 3D gaming, so of course it has aged horribly. However at the time it was like nothing else.

If I were to move the list around a little, I'd say the GC should be pretty low/last. It's impact was negligible on the industry and was a complete failure in terms of 1st party support. It had some good 3rd party games, but I still believe its lineup is terrible. I could make the same argument for WiiU, but at least Nintendo is giving the console some amazing software, though this time the 3rd party software is completely absent.

To those complaining about the N64, it deserves to be highly ranked. Nintendo's first party was amazing, plus you had Rare and some good 3rd party games scattered about. The system was completely revolutionary for the time with 3D graphics and the local multiplayer experience is the best of any console to this day. Can't exactly say there is anything the GC or WiiU has done that is revolutionary or had such an impact on the industry at their respective times. I love those systems, but overall they really can;t compare to the other's achievements.

Fredrik

Not allowing backwards-compatibility to be a factor when comparing the consoles is just weird imo, that is one of the reasons why owning Wii (GC+VC), 3DS (DS+VC), WiiU (Wii+VC) has been so awesome. I mean with WiiU you have the awesome WiiU exclusives plus Wii exclusives plus lots of NES, SNES, N64, TG16, Megadrive, C64, NeoGeo classics etc on one single platform, why would that not make it a better console?

Putting the GB over the DS, just insane. Love how they had footage of shitty Castlevania Adventure to backup their reason for why GB is the best.

bengraven

In all fairness, if we go by innovation and impact the GBA, GBC, and WiiU should always be at the end of the list because they're basically derivative. GBC is GB but with color, GBA is a portable Super NES with more power, and WiiU is a next gen version of the Wii. That also means that the SNES and Gamecube should be around the middle. The actual innovative machines should be closer to the top: the NES, the GB, the DS, the Wii.

But if we're going by great games, I'm sticking with my original list. :p

spliced

I think this list is pretty close to how I feel but I'm not a big handheld gamer so I could understand that some people see those as being underrated.

The N64 was so amazing, I just wish that era didn't age so badly.

You could justify any one of the SNES, N64 or NES as the #1 but the SNES is always a safe choice.

Haha, my list is a little different from their's:

10. NES
9. Wii
8. Game Boy
7. N64
6. Wii U
5. GameCube
4. DS
3. Game Boy Advance
2. SNES
1. 3DS

Bumm

Neo Member
I hate how they say you can't factor in backwards compatibility. If that was a deciding factor, I'd put both GBA and DS high on the list. The hours I put in on the road as a kid we're huge. GBA was BC with GB/GBC and DS was BC with GBA. Plus, there were a lot of ports from SNES. Had an endless library of good games in my pocket.

AdanVC

Wii U on last place? I've had a greater time with Wii U already than I did with Wii...

My top ten would be like this (based purely on how much fun and good memories I had with each system)

1. SNES << Greatest console of all time also.
2. GameCube
3. NES
4. N64
5. Wii U
6. 3DS
7. Wii
8. GB
9. GBC
10. DS (I put it on last place because this is the only Nintendo console I almost skipped completely... rough times)

Mohonky

When all is said and done of the Wii U this generation, I reckon it will rank much higher.

N64 had some great games but not many, and a lot of them were sketchy frame rate wise which makes it the hardest console to go back too.

I think Gamecube should be very high on the list but a number of the games that really won me over on that ended up going to PS2 also in the end so they hold less weight for me in deciding how high it would be on the list; Resident Evil 4, Killer 7 and the Viewtiful Joe titles were all amazing titles to me but as they went to PS2 I find it hard to use them as an argument for the Gamecube (even though the Gamecube got vastly superior versions). It did have some awesome niche 3rd party titles like PN03 though. It also had the Pikmin games.

Gamecube and Wii U still rate really highly for me, never had a SNES so can't really say and I feel like I played everything I needed to on GBA through my DS. Being a youngin I also dont recall playing a lot of NES games as I could only play what my parents got me but I would put it up there, probably a head of SNES in terms of games I can recall SNES having what I would have liked.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wii U should be higher than the Wii.

The Wii is the worst console I've ever owned.

Shion

I'm happy to see the N64 ranking so high on the list.

The combo of mind-blowing Nintendo games + Rare at its best, was enough for me to love the console despite its obvious shortcomings.

1. SNES
2. NES
3. N64

4. DS
5. GameCube
6. GameBoy

7. Wii
8. 3DS
9. GBA
10. Wii U

rex

This talk about how the n64 classics have been surpassed continues to be such nonsense. It all centers around one game (mario 64) which most people sayin this probably didnt like even in 96. Its kind of hard to be surpassed when no future mario game did precisely what sm 64 did anyway.

But put that aside. Wave race and starfox 64 havent been surpassed. Oot has been surpassed by exactly one game (TP), and many people would disagree with that. MM is too unique to say that any future zelda surpassed it. If 1080, mario kart, and fzero were surpassed it was barely.

Id prolly rank nes ahead of n64, but certainly no other console can go ahead of it. The gamecubes endemic mediocrity, the wiis lack of anything worthwhile not named mario galaxy, and the wii u's very well made titles that appeal to no one certainly dont compare to a console which featured Ead at their best backed up by rare.

Swap the Wii U & N64 and we're good, though I guess I can't fault their rationale for still keeping it low.

Personally:

3. Wii U
2. NES
1. SNES

I don't know where I'd rank the handhelds, the GBA is tricky. The original was tragic with that difficult to see screen, but the GBASP is some of the best portable hardware I've ever touched.

AdanVC

Wii U should be higher than the Wii.

The Wii is the worst console I've ever owned.

I kinda agree... I appreciate the fact that Nintendo took the risk of offering such a unique console with motion controls wich was super succesful and it has the Super Mario Galaxy games wich are absolute masterpieces. But at the same time... the amount of shovelware and "Wii ___ " titles by Nintendo made me give up on the console. It was the very first console I sold halfway through. Eventually I bought a Wii again to play Zelda Skyward Sword.

They could have at least cleaned up the systems or shown stock photos. The SNES is yellowed and on the NES, the Nintendo logo is faded. Looks gross.

boyshine

After a lot of debating with myself, I think I'm satisfied with this list:

1. Nintendo 64
2. Super NES
3. Wii
4. Wii U
5. GameCube
6. Nintendo DS
7. NES
8. Nintendo 3DS
9. Game Boy Advance
10. Game Boy Color

Scoops

Banned
1. SNES
2. DS
3. Wii
4. NES
5. GBA
6. 3DS
7. N64
8. WiiU
9. GC
10. GB

WiiU will move up as games are released. 3DS could lepfrog GBA eventually too.

1. DS
2. SNES
3. GBA
4. Wii
5. WiiU
6. 3DS
7. GC
8. N64
9. NES
10. GB

This would be my list, the DS was the peak in terms of the amount of great and innovative games. Second best gaming system after the PS2.

Top Bottom