• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Top 10 Nintendo Systems

Well they at least got #1 and #10 correct. I'd rank it this way though

10.WiiU
9.Wii
8.NES
7.Gameboy (Color)
6.N64
5.3DS
4.DS
3.GBA
2.Gamecube
1.SNES

After some thought, this is how I would do it too.

The GameCube was when Nintendo was trying everything crazy thing that crossed its mind and has some of the most unique entires of all of its series.

eXistor

N64 is a pretty shitty system that really only had a handful of classics imo, no way should it be at number 2. I'd probably place it near the bottom.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
N64 hate is real in here..

I agree with most if the list, though I would move GameCube up a spot or two.

MrBadger

It's hard because Nintendo systems are mostly all great but my ranking would probably look like this -

SNES - the point when 2D gaming was refined and perfected, and many games released in the 16bit era have yet to be topped. None of the greats on that system show their age, except perhaps Starfox and Donkey Kong Country

3DS - Only reason this ranks above DS is because Nintendo's own offerings have been fantastic so far

DS - Hit and miss first party, but some of my favourite games were on this system

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2 is pretty good

Wii U - Many of this system's games manage to be debatably the best in their genres, like Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2, and Nintendo's output is on point with two top tier Mario platformers and a Mariokart I didn't ditch a week after buying it, but it's a real shame that games on the system are so far in between each other

GBA - Similar case to the DS. Hit and miss Nintendo output consisting largely of inferior SNES ports and no original Mario platformer but some incredible third party games and interesting takes on existing franchises

Gamecube - I wish that obviously fake TTYD leak was real so I could see why people think this system is any more worthwhile than the Wii U

NES - Saved the industry so well done with that one

N64 - Mario 64 and OoT are great and most likely shaped the current gaming landscape, but other than that this is just a messy system that perfectly emphasises the growing pains of the industry when things went 3D. I don't really consider this as a system I enjoy playing on as much as I consider it laying the foundations for better things to come

Gameboy - I'm not a dog, Nintendo. How dare you not even give me games in colour. Disgusting.

ibyea

Banned
I liked the N64, but c'mon it deserves the bottom spot. They are crazy in putting the Wii and DS that close to the bottom.

Sadist

Wii and DS need to be higher.

I know the Wii is considered shovelware city by some, but man I enjoyed the hell out of a lot of games.

rex

Someone please explain to me in the non-nostalgic way possible how the N64 is better than GCN.

The gamecubes entries in key series (wave race, mario, first zelda) were far worse then their n64 counterparts. While some were indeed arguably better (twilight princess and thousand year door), these came out years down the line and while they were excellent, so too were the n64 games they followed.

When the n64 was better, it was light years beyond the gc games. When the gc entries were better, which didnt happen often, they were barely better simply because the n64 set the bar so high with virtually every game released.

Vertti

I think the only objective way to rank these consoles is to look how good the games are in 2015. Yes, something like N64 and Game Boy will look poor because of that but it's still better than try to guess how good they were back in the days. Nostalgia will make that very inaccurate.

It's great so see how everyone agrees that SNES is the number one. It's easily my favourite console of all time and nothing comes near. Maybe PS2 but haven't played all the classics so I no comment on that.

Wii U would be very high on my list. After all four games are in my top20 best games of all time (MK8, SSB, Bayo 2 and DKC:TF). Zelda and Metroid would be icing on the cake. Don't really care how few titles we have got when they are all such a quality.

What matters a lot is if we are allowed to count remakes. If we are I would rate N64 and Gamecube pretty low. 3DS and Wii have better version of many of the best games of those two consoles. GBA would also take a hit but it has great original games too.

I'm not the world biggest NES fan but I'd had to put it on at least 5th or 6th. It's so iconic and has lot of charm even though not many games are even in my top50 favourite games.

My list would probably be something like:

1. SNES
2. DS
3. GBA
4. Wii U
5. NES
6. Wii
7. 3DS
8. Gamecube
9. N64
10. Game Boy

MrBadger

The gamecubes entries in key series (wave race, mario, first zelda) were far worse then their n64 counterparts. While some were indeed arguably better (twilight princess and thousand year door), these came out years down the line and while they were excellent, so too were the n64 games they followed.

When the n64 was better, it was light years beyond the gc games. When the gc entries were better, which didnt happen often, they were barely better simply because the n64 set the bar so high with virtually every game released.

Not sure I'd consider Wave Race a key series. Gamecube surpassed N64 with Mariokart, Melee, TTYD (according to everyone who's played it) and debatably Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well as being the origin of plenty of great franchises like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime. Sure, Gamecube had some disappointments like Super Mario Sunshine, but so did the Nintendo 64, by following up some of the best SNES games with Donkey Kong 64 and Yoshi's Story. The only great game on Nintendo 64 without an equally good Gamecube counterpart is Super Mario 64. Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious but I don't think N64 is better than Gamecube.

Red Hood

Banned
1. N64
2. Wii U
3. SNES
4. Wii
5. NGC
6. 3DS
7. GBA
8. GB
9. DS
10. NES

I literally disagree with everything, haha. I'm not a huge fan of hand-held. But it's nice to see that Nintendo's 30+ year of history has a lot of people with lots of different opinions.

Boss Mog

N64 is the like the worst main Nintendo console.

This. And the Wii isn't much better. Both systems' library were mostly made of shovelware. My ranking would look something like this:

1. SNES
2. GBA
3. Gamecube
4. DS
5. NES
6. 3DS
7. Wii U
8. Gameboy
9. Wii
10. N64

rex

Not sure I'd consider Wave Race a key series. Gamecube surpassed N64 with Mariokart, Melee, TTYD (according to everyone who's played it) and debatably Wind Waker and Twilight Princess as well as being the origin of plenty of great franchises like Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime. Sure, Gamecube had some disappointments like Super Mario Sunshine, but so did the Nintendo 64, by following up some of the best SNES games with Donkey Kong 64 and Yoshi's Story. The only great game on Nintendo 64 without an equally good Gamecube counterpart is Super Mario 64. Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious but I don't think N64 is better than Gamecube.

Wind waker gets by on its looks more than any game i can think of. Its ironic that the fans of the game became the superficial ones, ignoring its poor and paltry amount of dungeons. I cant see anyway to rank it ahead of either n64 zelda.

Because of that, i look at gc completely whiffing on the followups to critical and commercial successes like sm 64, oot, sf64, and wave race. I see other ead efforts that are every bit as good as pikmin or lm, incredibly disappointing launch window software compared to what nintendo had ready on past systems.

Is the gc better in certain franchises? Sure, but the n64 games were good to begin with.

As for metroid prime, its half a great game with a second half that devolves into a mediocre shooting game. I think its incredibly overrated

Mohonky

Wind waker gets by on its looks more than any game i can think of. Its ironic that the fans of the game became the superficial ones, ignoring its poor and paltry amount of dungeons. I cant see anyway to rank it ahead of either n64 zelda.

Because of that, i look at gc completely whiffing on the followups to critical and commercial successes like sm 64, oot, sf64, and wave race. I see other ead efforts that are every bit as good as pikmin or lm, incredibly disappointing launch window software compared to what nintendo had ready on past systems.

Is the gc better in certain franchises? Sure, but the n64 games were good to begin with.

As for metroid prime, its half a great game with a second half that devolves into a mediocre shooting game. I think its incredibly overrated

Wind Waker gets by on its looks?

Metroid Prime devolved into a mediocre shooter?

What in the world........

meanspartan

DIsagree with some of the ordering, but they got the top spot right and thats what counts. Anyone who disagrees must not like RPGs (cuz then ya, I could see you putting something else on top) or was born after 1990.

Anth0ny

My order is probably:

1. N64
2. SNES
3. Gamecube
4. NES
5. 3DS
6. Gameboy + Color
7. Wii U
8. Wii
9. GBA
10. DS

I don't hate any Nintendo consoles, or even think any lineups were bad, but Wii, DS and GBA were easily the weakest. GBA had a super short life and was full of ports (still had some fantastic games, like the two Metroids and Wario Ware). Wii had the two Galaxy games... besides that a bunch of good games but very few GREAT games. DS is a similar case, but I wouldn't even be able to name a single GREAT DS game. The closest I can think of would be Mario Kart DS and Pokemon Black/White, which are very good but I wouldn't call them classics.

7 and up on my list are jam fucking packed with classics.

N64 is way too high. It had one or two groundbreaking games, but the overall library is terrible compared to most other Nintendo systems.

meanspartan

N64 is way too high. It had one or two groundbreaking games, but the overall library is terrible compared to most other Nintendo systems.

I really don't get this. One or two?

Super Mario 64
Goldeneye
Ocarina
Majora
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Bros
Mario Party

I actually agree it is overrated in the GT list, but people in this thread are going in the other direction and totally underselling it.

hatchx

Banned
I actually found the list pretty good. Of course, I have my own preferences like everyone here, but that is largely reflected by how old I was when these systems came out. DS was basically the perfect handheld at the perfect time, and could easily sit in the top 3 unquestionably.

NES and Game Boy should be far lower for me, but the video outlined their relevance with beginning series.

I felt like they did a good job of justifying their list though. I've seen worse.

10. Wii U
9. Gamecube
8. 3DS
7. Wii
6. N64
5. GBA
4. Game Boy
3. NES
2. DS
1. SNES

This is what the list should be. I swapped N64 with DS, and Gamecube with GBA.

It was a crime to have those handheld systems ranked so low.

One-Shot

Banned
Why is the WII U so low, if Zelda will be released, I think the WII U will go to top 3.

Although it lacks a great Metroid game and an innovative Mario game (not saying 3D world is bad, its actually good, but it doesn't feel fresh like Galaxy did back then)

Wii U doesn't have enough games. One Zelda game wouldn't change that.

Jamix012

1. Gamecube
2. N64
3. 3DS
4. GBA
5. Wii U
6. DS
7. SNES
8. GB (Colour)
9. Wii
10. NES [Revolutionary for its time but horribly dated]

I can't say I agree with much of GT's placements with the exception of the Super Nintendo. Here's how I personally rank them:

1. SNES
2. Wii
3. 3DS
4. N64
5. DS
6. Wii U
7. Gamecube
8. GBA
9. NES
10. Gameboy

Top Bottom