• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Unravel dev: Nintendo is very secretive about NX, Unravel port talk.

_PsiFire_

...Ok, where's the source for that. That would change the conversation over here quite a bit.
Google is my source.

I looked up when Dev kits started going out en-mass. First articles were in July so I'm giving the benefit of June as a start.

They definitely weren't making it out like that as of March 2013 when Sony was being secretive (prior to their March unveiling?) - like Nintendo is now.

_PsiFire_

PS4 had guaranteed AAA games for launch and after.
How many from Indie developers? Because that's what this thread is about - one indie dev not getting a dev kit which are usually hard to come by until they start getting mass produced. First kits usually goes to the "big guys" - no difference for Sony/Microsoft.

Banned
How many from Indie developers? Because that's what this thread is about - one indie dev not getting a dev kit which are usually hard to come by until they start getting mass produced. First kits usually goes to the "big guys" - no difference for Sony/Microsoft.
That's what this thread is about. In the NX thread Arkham revealed that a dev under the branch of one of the two biggest western publishers didn't have dev kits as of the end of 2015.

My post was in reference to that. A combo of indie devs and AAA devs don't have dev kits yet and this thing is supposed to be releasing November 2016.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is the "unraveled dev" in the OP is an indie developer, though?

That's the whole point. NX has the western AAA far from guaranteed, so good indies could fill the gap. And I don't know about Unravel. but Ori is a damn good game. Unravel got front seat at E3, so we're not talking about unknown developers here.

I hate this thing, trying to diminish indies or split them in good (working with Nintendo) and bad. A good game is a good game, it should be welcomed om the platform we own or support.

Have you provided a source for your claim yet? No, google doesn't count as that.

_PsiFire_

That's what this thread is about. In the NX thread Arkham revealed that a dev under the branch of one of the two biggest western publishers didn't have dev kits as of the end of 2015.

My post was in reference to that. A combo of indie devs and AAA devs don't have dev kits yet and this thing is supposed to be releasing November 2016.
I'm assuming that would be Activision since there's rumor that EA got kits.

Who the he'll knows then. I didn’t see that posted in the NX thread.

The_Lump

Banned

My post was in reference to that. A combo of one known indie dev and (potentially) one AAA dev don't have dev kits yet and this thing is supposed to be releasing November 2016.

FTFY ;)

Edit: Also: We don't know what part, if any, will be releasing November 2016

_PsiFire_

Have you provided a source for your claim yet? No, google doesn't count as that.
Found an article about dev kits going out in November 2012 for PS4. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-01-new-ps4-dev-kits-reportedly-shipping-out

PS4 kits going out en-mass articles from July 2013. https://www.vg247.com/2013/07/26/ps4-dev-kits-pricey-but-sony-handing-them-out-like-candy-rumour/

Then I find articles about NX dev kits going out in October 2015. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

When will NX dev kits go out to more devs. Summer won't be too late.

The_Lump

Banned
Found an article about dev kits going out in November 2012 for PS4. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-01-new-ps4-dev-kits-reportedly-shipping-out

PS4 kits going out en-mass articles from July 2013. https://www.vg247.com/2013/07/26/ps4-dev-kits-pricey-but-sony-handing-them-out-like-candy-rumour/

Then I find articles about NX dev kits going out in October 2015. http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

When will NX dev kits go out to more devs. Summer won't be too late.

aaaaaaand Relax.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

EDarkness

The article is from July 2013, but there's no statement about the kits being sent in July 2013. It talks about the loaner program at past time, but no clear timestamp. Even more, PS4 had a quite nice indie presentation at the E3 before that., so those indies got devkits some time before that for sure.

We don't know if some indies have kits already due to NDAs. They're obviously not going to be handing them out like water right now, but I'm sure (based on my own experience) that if they directly apply for a kit they'll get the information they need. We know that the people who they want to have kits have them. Everyone else will follow in due time.

My post was in reference to that. A combo of indie devs and AAA devs don't have dev kits yet and this thing is supposed to be November 2016 releasing.
Even with the leaks, we still dont' know that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Because the spreading further part should've happened already if you want them to port software in time for launch.

PS4 was the exact same way.

Banned
PS4 was the exact same way.
And it got minimal indie support at launch but at least got AAA games. Nintendo looks like it'll be barebones at launch with the exception of their own output. Which is always a Nintendo consoles problem.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How can people compare a Sony home console to a nintendo hw in terms of western F third party policy and consequent support?

Please.

I am a nintendo fan but I am expecting almost zero western third party support il on NX for many reasons and I think it would be better for anyone to settle their expectations down

Savitar

Nintendo is so damn secretive that even after the Wii and Wii U came out people were debating how powerful they were. Went on for months, even over a year if I recall right on certain things. The rumors of how powerful it was went from beyond the competitors to as good as the PS4 and One to less than. In the end I've pretty much decided to not bother with any threads about what we know, because until Nintendo says it what we know is basically pure speculation. People were wrong before and they'll be wrong again for the long time until we really get some specific details. It's annoying but Nintendo seems happy to play by it's own rules and do things it's own way, if it helps or hinders them I got no idea if Nintendo cares or not.

fernoca

And it got minimal indie support at launch but at least got AAA games. Nintendo looks like it'll be barebones at launch with the exception of their own output. Which is always a Nintendo consoles problem.
It is still hard to tell at this point. And early announcements are no indication...neither the amount of games at launch.

The Wii U launched with more games than PS4. And that didn't meant much. And most were third-party.

Lol...what? How do you know the NX won't get western AAA support at launch? Not having indies at launch isn't the end of the world.

Yeah, even for PS4 it took awhile for the indie ball to get rolling.

Wii U had some pretty good indie support despite its power, difference in architecture, and small installbase so I imagine on NX it'll be a similar situation if not better.
Once they reveal the system I imagine dev kits will be sent out to more people.
Just hope they start revealing it soon.

EDarkness

How do you know that? Because people under NDA aren't spilling the beans?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

You have zero proof for this at this point. Zero. Could it happen? Yes. Is it guaranteed? No. Are you posting a bunch of posts acting like it is guaranteed? Yes.

How can people compare a Sony home console to a nintendo hw in terms of western F third party policy and consequent support?

Please.

I am a nintendo fan but I am expecting almost zero western third party support il on NX for many reasons and I think it would be better for anyone to settle their expectations down

Nobody is comparing anything. As the post above pointed out, PS4 devkits were out around the same timeframe as NX is if itmis releasing this year. That was the only statement being made.

Banned
How do you know that? Because people under NDA aren't spilling the beans?
Because the Wii U around this time was dead quiet too and everyone assumed it was because of NDA and lots of games being made for it and they were saving the announcements for E3. Then E3 2012 happenes and we got nintendoland, ZombiU and old ass ports and a software drought in year one.
You have zero proof for this at this point. Zero. Could it happen? Yes. Is it guaranteed? No. Are you posting a bunch of posts acting like it is guaranteed? Yes.

Nobody is comparing anything. As the post above pointed out, PS4 devkits were out around the same timeframe as NX is if itmis releasing this year. That was the only statement being made.
I have history as proof. Look at the Wii U. Look at the PS4 when it was 9 months from release. Lots of leaks were happening around February 2013 and you know Sony consoles are getting big AAA support no matter what.

Nintendo is different. They can't survive another gen where they're in this echo chamber and their consoles become only good for Nintendo published games or the odd Japanese exclusive.

Some of us were hoping the NX would be nintendos chance to finally change and get third party support but based off what I'm hearing from EA, Arkham, Iherre, Ideaman, Unravel dev and some other accounts, this is the Wii U all over again.

Because the Wii U around this time was dead quiet too and everyone assumed it was because of NDA and lots of games being made for it and they were saving the announcements for E3. Then E3 2012 happenes and we got nintendoland, ZombiU and old ass ports and a software drought in year one.

I have history as proof. Look at the Wii U. Look at the PS4 when it was 9 months from release. Lots of leaks were happening around February 2013 and you know Sony consoles are getting big AAA support no matter what.

Nintendo is different. They can't survive another gen where they're in this echo chamber and their consoles become only good for Nintendo published games or the odd Japanese exclusive.

Some of us were hoping the NX would be nintendos chance to finally change and get third party support but based off what I'm hearing from EA, Arkham, Iherre, Ideaman, Unravel dev and some other accounts, this is the Wii U all over again.
Wii U was announced super early, though. We knew its name and anyone could make a game for it. Many did, there were a lot of indie and multiplatform games available the first few months.
Also no one knows which NX comes out this year (again)
If it's the handheld it would make more sense since those devs would likely not want to make much if anything for it.

MK_768

You like to jump to conclusions I gather.

History doesn't set the future in stone. Although, yes, you are most likely right and Nintendo will struggle with 3rd party support, you are being way too matter of fact.

It's 2016 not 2012. Pump the breaks on the Nintendoom stuff.

We will find out in a few months how "barebones" the launch will be.

The Wii also had the Gamecube's history as proof that it wouldn't sell well...

Plinko

Come on. There have been numerous instances of third party support shifting on some level between generations of systems.

I have no problem with you merely things won't be different. I do, however, have a problem with people stating things as fact when they themselves have no evidence other than "well, we haven't heard anything yet!" when we DO have evidence from devs on GAF saying the NDAs are MUCH tighter this time around.

I have history as proof. Look at the Wii U.

Here is the problem: the Wii U, despite what you are suggesting, did not have a barebones third-party launch. Same for the 3DS. Both of them suffered from a disappointing first-party launch, marketing, and pricing. Once it was obvious that the Wii U wasn't going to be saved, third parties bailed out.

If it wasn't so troublesome for games to be ported over to the Wii U, publishers would have some justification to port games to the system anyway. (Like the PSVita). If Nintendo marketing, price, and first-party games could have enticed more customers, the Wii U's userbase could have been big enough for third parties to keep trying. (Like the Wii). The Wii U didn't have neither of those.

Banned
Come on. There have been numerous instances of third party support shifting on some level between generations of systems.

I have no problem with you merely things won't be different. I do, however, have a problem with people stating things as fact when they themselves have no evidence other than "well, we haven't heard anything yet!" when we DO have evidence from devs on GAF saying the NDAs are MUCH tighter this time around.
Sure but the third party shifts usually happen moving from Nintendo lol (N64 being the start).

look I'm not jumping to conclusions it's just based off what I've read so far, it isn't looking good for NX support outside of Nintendo.

EDarkness

I think there's a difference here. I don't remember major developers announcing Wii U games well before the system was even announced. I think it's safe to say that Square Enix is on board. They really weren't for the Wii U. Just because people aren't leaking stuff doesn't mean things aren't going on. This is true for every system ever. Best you can do is wait to see how it all turns out, because none of us are privy to that information right now.

History tells us a lot of things, but we also should remember that things change constantly. I remember people thinking the PS3 was going to rock everyone's world before it was released, even at that insane price point. That didn't happen. Waiting to get more information before making these kinds of claims might be a good idea.

Of course we don't know this for a fact, and it would be hard for third-party support to be any worse than Wii U's (handheld interoperability alone should ensure it's better, at least as far as Japanese publishers are concerned), but I'm really not seeing much basis for optimism.

I expect to see indies, 3DS-esque Japanese third-party support (MH, DQ, YW, SMT, etc.), and the handful of Western franchises targeting a casual/family audience (Just Dance, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego). There may well be a few surprises beyond that, but I will be very surprised if the final picture looks dramatically different.

Does anyone know why Nintendo banks everything on E3 so damn hard?

Before PS4 e3 they announced, knack, shadowfall, second son, features and all that.. they can still save some stuff for e3 as well.

Banned
Does anyone know why Nintendo banks everything on E3 so damn hard?

Before PS4 e3 they announced, knack, shadowfall, second son, features and all that.. they can still save some stuff for e3 as well.
Nintendo is tone deaf? They think all westerners care about is E3.

SDK's basically allow devs to port there games without having to have the hardware to a point. I'm assuming Nintendo feels the porting process is easy. The hardware could be then used for optimizations.

Banned
SDK's basically allow devs to port there games without having to have the hardware to a point. I'm assuming Nintendo feels the porting process is easy. The hardware could be then used for optimizations.

This would have saved so many arguments, including my own lol. Maybe now I'm not as worried.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think there's a difference here. I don't remember major developers announcing Wii U games well before the system was even announced. I think it's safe to say that Square Enix is on board. They really weren't for the Wii U. Just because people aren't leaking stuff doesn't mean things aren't going on. This is true for every system ever. Best you can do is wait to see how it all turns out, because none of us are privy to that information right now.

History tells us a lot of things, but we also should remember that things change constantly. I remember people thinking the PS3 was going to rock everyone's world before it was released, even at that insane price point. That didn't happen. Waiting to get more information before making these kinds of claims might be a good idea.

The rumored DQ XI for NX is extremely flimsy, and isn't really nothing, considering that it will be on the PS4 too. It'll be like the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. Big budget title with its limitation to how it can expand the install base.

For Nintendo's case, its safer to assume that there isn't anything going on for them.

The rumored DQ XI for NX is extremely flimsy, and isn't really nothing, considering that it will be on the PS4 too. It'll be like the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. Big budget title with its limitation to how it can expand the install base.

For Nintendo's case, its safer to assume that there isn't anything going on for them.

I wouldn't describe a game that was announced to be coming to the NX live by the creator himself at its reveal conference as "extremely flimsy".

In any case, SquareEnix and Nintendo seem to be getting along better than in recent years, so we will see what will come out of it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They could have then given access to the SDK for the cited indies. Or contacted them back with this info at least.

Kurt

I remember reg said they they would wait until 3th parties have a good idea to use this new unique thing...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

ps4 kits were out at this time for some indie games. AAA leaks were all over the place. That is the.main difference and the reason why, as stated by this dev directly, nintendo playing the secret ninja game with anyone, indie or not, is.just the same old nintendo, terribile at third party relationship

I wouldn't describe a game that was announced to be coming to the NX live by the creator himself at its reveal conference as "extremely flimsy".

In any case, SquareEnix and Nintendo seem to be getting along better than in recent years, so we will see what will come out of it.

An announcement that Square Enix later took back. I'm betting they're just waiting to see how things turn out and if the NX turns out to be another Wii U, it'll silently disappear into the ether.

Even if it does happen though, I wouldn't read into it too quickly, lest you repeat this embarrassing thread.

Terrell

ps4 kits were out at this time for some indie games. AAA leaks were all over the place. That is the.main difference and the reason why, as stated by this dev directly, nintendo playing the secret ninja game with anyone, indie or not, is.just the same old nintendo, terribile at third party relationship

It's hardly a "secret ninja game" when the price of entry is a fucking game pitch and a signature, which the developer should have been prepared to provide in the first place.

I mean, FFS, at this point, I'm convinced that if the dev had walked into the meeting covered in feces and Nintendo asked him to reschedule after he'd taken a shower, people would say that Nintendo was being "hostile to 3rd parties, as always, lolNintendo" instead of seeing it as a common fucking sense request.

Isn't it true that Nintendo generally keeps its hardware development a secret to its own software development teams ?

As for Wii U, here's a list of some of the major third party launch ports that show how long it took for Wii U versions to come out compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions:

Mass Effect 3: Released 8 months later
Dark Siders 2: Released 3 months later
Assassin's Creed 3: Released a month later
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: Released same month
Madden NFL 2013: Released around 3 months later
Tekken Tag Team Tournament 2: Released 2 months later
NBA2K13: Released a month later
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge: Released around 5 months earlier (based on NA release schedule)
Sonic Racing Transformed: Released in same month

To be fair those were launch day titles. Can't have a day and date release with everything else if the console isn't out.

Top Bottom