• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming characters who annoyed you or you hated?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
maxresdefault.jpg

These insufferable fuckwits in Far Cry 4. I wanted nothing more than to see them mauled to death by a tiger.

This wankster:

image.jpg

Shitty character. Shitty design. Worst, most phoned in VA in the history of gaming.

Single-handedly ruined the LightFall expansion for Destiny 2 (well... him combined with the McGuffin that everyone was chasing that the game opted to never once explain WTF it was).

D2's seasonal narrative was going great until this abortion shat all the momentum down the crapper.

poodaddy

Tidus and Yuna.
This.

It's crazy cuz the rest of the cast is solid.

Well....actually Wakka and Rikku suck too....But other than that they're all good.

OT: I legitimately despise the character V in Cyberpunk. There's no way to like them, man, woman, asshole, kind, snarky, I just can't find a way to not hate the character. I like everyone else though.

Let's see...
- Mimir, the sorriest man alive.
- Harley Quinn. I just hate Harley in any media. She's insufferable

This wankster:

image.jpg

Shitty character. Shitty design. Worst, most phoned in VA in the history of gaming.

Single-handedly ruined the LightFall expansion for Destiny 2 (well... him combined with the McGuffin that everyone was chasing that the game opted to never once explain WTF it was).

D2's seasonal narrative was going great until this abortion shat all the momentum down the crapper.
I got banned from reddit because I refused to use his prefered pronouns. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lightfall was garbage.

Sleepwalker

Atreus
Angrboda
Navi
Miles Morales
Miles morales Girlfriend
Miles morales fat friend
Harry osborne
The crow dude from DMCV
The baby in death stranding
The non voiced NPC in zelda botw/totk that only make moaning sounds when talking to you
Kait from Gears 5
Del from Gears 5
The douche with sunglasses from Gears 5
Zelos from Tales of Symphonia

and many more

Pimpbaa

Most recently, MJ in Spider-man 2. I haven’t hated a lead characters girlfriend this much since Rose in MGS2. Didn’t help that she looks rather plain (like massively downgraded from sm1) and wears clothes she raided from aunt may’s closet except for her leather jacket.

Radrigal

By design:
Skizzo - Days Gone
Micah Bell - RDR2
Trevor Philips - GTAV
The Riddler - Batman Arkham Series
Eric Sparrow - Tony Hawk's Underground
Ted Faro - Horizon
Joseph Seed - Far Cry 5

Not by design:
Victor Van Lier - NBA 2k16
Megan Reed - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Amelie - Death Stranding
Kai Leng - Mass Effect 3
Everybody - Mass Effect Andromeda
Everybody - DMC: Devil May Cry
Everybody - AC: Valhalla
Abby - TLoU2
The Handler - Monster Hunter: World
Sabal and Amita - Far Cry 4

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Stealth modern Sony AAA thread?

I wasn't the biggest fan of Aloy in ZD but she really knocked it out of the park in FW. Unbearable "I know it all, I'm better than everyone" attitude.

Kratos in Ragnarok. Such a whimp. Took me months to finish the game. Unlike with 2018 I didn't even remotely finish all the activities and just deleted the game.

Will never buy a Sony game day 1 again before investigating the quality of writing. Sadly the writing is often even more important than the gameplay and this stuff just ruins everything for me.

Last edited:
weirdly, the first character that came to mind:
1489500728_image.jpg

the guy on the left - zeke...

as much as i otherwise really love all the infamous games, i just, for whatever reason, fucking despise zeke. i never really got why cole wasted his time on this guy. what's he supposed to be? some kinda stabilizing force? shoulder to cry on? someone from cole's childhood that all the other kids picked on, that cole felt bad for, & who's sorta permanently attached himself to cole ever since?...

'you save the world, while i get more beer.' easily as unlikable/useless as any other second banana in gaming...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Stopped playing the game because of her
b1BE7ua.jpg

I unlocked flying and thought "this was just not worth it" and quit for the night and never loaded up Forbidden West again.

It's the videogame equivalent of some girl screaming "love meeeeeeeeeeee" in your face. It's like she's consistantly on the worlds worst period, and treats everyone like shit constantly.

I was done.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Atreus
Alloy
The most recent Lara Croft - just stfu already!
Yeah, the last Lara talked too much. I ended up leaving the campsite each time she started a new monologue just to have her shut up.

I'm really looking forward to playing the remasters and just focusing on (tomb) exploration.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Oh my God. That looks just like me.

Most annoying character for me has got to be Nathan Drake. I can't recall any other characters that just absolutely cannot silence last longer than 5 seconds. He just talks and or yells constantly. Idk if there's a pc version. But I'd want a mod that removes in-game dialog if I was gonna play through it again.
NIbaDxG.jpg

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You don’t know annoying characters if you haven’t played Puppeteer.

Xc7Dxfy.png

Take Navi and Fi from Zelda.
Combine them into a single character.
Give it an attitude that would annoy Shadow the Hedgehog.
Make it talk ten times as much, unprompted, unskippable, unmutable. As inevitable as Thanos.

That’s Pikarina. She is terrible. She’s the one thing you’ll remember from that mediocre game, long after you’ve forgotten everything else about it.

- Zell
- Selphie
- Wakka
- Steiner

I get you can’t suffer highly energetic, constantly fidgeting people.
I agree on Wakka. He’s Zell’s uncool twin brother.
Steiner though? He’s a bit of a dumbass at first, but he does develop a lot.

TIME TO GO TO BED JOKER.
iu

Oh, now you’ve gone and done it!

katana GIF

Kupfer

I unlocked flying and thought "this was just not worth it" and quit for the night and never loaded up Forbidden West again.

It's the videogame equivalent of some girl screaming "love meeeeeeeeeeee" in your face. It's like she's consistantly on the worlds worst period, and treats everyone like shit constantly.

I was done.
You held out for a long time.
I made it to this main hub where you're told to activate or defeat a certain number of things. I think that's when the real world to the west opens up, but by then I'd already lost interest.

Everyone in days gone. Like they are complete idiots.
Haha true. But it still was fun. That kind of b-movie trash-fun.
Platinumed Days Gone in no time.
Somehow it felt just right for me, although being so cheesy.

Last edited:

cireza

The vast majority of the NPCs in Starfield. I know a lot of people enjoyed the game for tenths of hours, but seriously, I got fed up after 30 hours and never looked back.

ikbalCO

Saga Anderson (AW2) - great introduction, good development. All ruined in third act when she turned self rightous and obnaxious. This just may be me but complaining “just another white man telling me what to do” does not translate well to international audiences. That phrase means nothing to me.

Delmont Walker (Gears 5) - i was fine with him in gears 4, became a complete bitch boy in gears 5

Thor (GoW: Ragnarok) - i had high expectations for him, turned out to be a 2d dead beat dad with every modern writing cliche attached

Last edited:

amigastar

Gothic - Mud

I always kill that guy, he's so annoying.

Tsaki

8L8ewdw.jpg

This ungrateful, stupid fuck.
He forces CJ away from home, let's things go to shit in the hood thinking everything will work out by themselves (leading to Big Smoke losing faith in his leadership and abandon ship), is a hypocrite about drugs peddled by other gangs while his own homies use right in front of him and manufacture in their own homes, is a racist and a moron not trying to do alliances with other gangs, like Cesar's, because of said racism. Then he goes to prison and CJ and Cesar carried the family through everything, opening businesses in San Fierro and making powerful allies in Las Venturas. And what happens when Sweet is let out of prison because of all the work Carl did for the government? He get's mad at us and goes back to his low-life ghetto lifestyle, as if those 5 houses are the centre of the universe, saying shit like "This is where we were born and where we'll die".
Just an annoying character that made the end of the story a misery to play through; wish he died early and we kept Ryder for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
The exception is only Serah, she is pretty.
Ngl I’d sex Fang.

On topic, when it comes to games I played recently I honestly found most NPCs in TotK annoying. Most of the time they don’t have voiced dialog, but I found myself mashing through 90% of characters’ dialog because it’s so full of fluff and all you need to pay attention to is the colored/bolder words to know where to go.

The part where you get to the horse ranch where everyone is in their underwear was particularly annoying because it was humor for 5 year olds.

The writing in general seems a lot more childish than BotW, which wasn’t “mature,” obviously, but TotK has to play some cutscenes over and over again so you don’t forget about the imprisoning war like it assumes you’re an ADHD child.

Salmon

But you don’t get to know the character in the demo.
Frey is great because she is a fucking asshole. And she has a decent arc
What are you talking about? I was annoyed as hell for her cringy voice and behaviour. She feels like a character for 13 year olds. She is the TikTok character. Horrible!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What are you talking about? I was annoyed as hell for her cringy voice and behaviour. She feels like a character for 13 year olds. She is the TikTok character. Horrible!
She actually has a personality unlike other dimwits in games.
You can’t judge a character by in open world banter alone

Top Bottom