• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming podcast that deserve more love.

Weetrick

Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition
Nintendo World Report (the site behind sister podcast Radio Free Nintendo) celebrates video game music in this trivia podcast! Listeners are challenged to identify video games from classic and modern Nintendo systems based on a sampling of their soundtracks!

Love this show! In each episode, the host will play 3 songs from 5 different games (15 songs total) without telling you which game the songs are from - It's up to you to guess that.
It's an addicting show. I discovered it only a few years ago and binge-listened to the entire backlog fairly quickly. The show is full of great music and interesting facts. Any game released on any Nintendo system in any form is fair game.

Nintendo World Report also hosts Radio Free Nintendo, which is fairly popular. It's also one of my favorites.

Mushbert

Neo Member
Mandatory Update... Nights. Love the fastn'looseness of the show and the permanent struggle to keep it fastn'loose.

And GT Time. Nice people with a positive attitude, something uncommon this days in games media. Gotta love those bets too.

Poison arrow with Epic Name Bro and Kinda Funny Gamecast is getting better with each episode although I wish it was the old Podcast Beyond.

Fodder76

I really enjoy Midlife Gamer. Its a couple of hilarious gentlemen, Matt and Daren, who live in the UK.

The strongest point of appeal are their personalities, but it does have some solid gaming talk as well.

Meaty

I know its not the place to talk about foreign podcasts, but my favorite podcast barely has fans and it bothers me immensely. Its called jogabilidade. Those dudes are so hardcore and it makes me sad theres not enough public for this kind of thing here where I live.

NekoFever

I really like Retro Asylum. Episodes are quite long and in-depth, and they have a lot of different contributors who rotate each show. Interesting to get a retro perspective from somewhere where the games industry didn't collapse in the 80s too, whereas most American retro podcasts I listen to treat 83-85 like a black hole.

RetroCollect is another good retro podcast from the UK, albeit more irregular than Retro Asylum.

Jims

Laser Time podcast have been a favorite of mine lately. They have a video game podcast called Vidjya Game Apocalypse where they do a quick top five list centered around a topic followed by news and listener feedback. The premise is sometimes just an excuse to talk about whatever they want or ties into some current thing going on in the news. Very easy to put on an older episode to listen to.

I really like their VGMpire podcast too. If anyone reading this thread is really into video game music, you should check it out. They do a decent amount of back-and-forth talking about the games in between the songs, but the host (Brett Elston) does a really good job personalizing them and explaining what makes the soundtracks great. Even the games I barely even know about are fun episodes because of the music and the commentary.

Their F-Zero GX episode is amazing. It's mind-boggling how much random, throw-away pop music is in that game.

Flux

I used to listen to most of the ones listed in the thread, but now I just listen to Super Best Friend Cast.

Curufinwe

Now that Greg Miller's gone and been replaced by Max and Bryan from the Comedy Button I have given Podcast Beyond a try and it's not too bad.

Axe of the Blood God is the new version of Active Time Babble, the RPG podcast.

I still listen to the CAGcast.

Yes, absolutely. Their comedic best friend chemistry is so good. When a new No More Whoppers comes out, every other podcast gets pushed aside.

Air circulation!

wrowa

USGamer in general doesn't seem to get quite a lot of attention, sadly. They consistently write some great articles, but next to no one seems to ever talk about them. Heck, they don't even have 10k likes on Facebook.

Tregard

Soothsayer
GT Time is basically everything I want from a video game podcast, I listen to it while I go on a walk through the park, it's the perfect length for a nice sunny walk.

Plus the bets are serious business.

Jharp

Video Game Hot Dog is my favorite gaming podcast that no one else listens to. It's hosted by the guys behind Kingdom of Loathing along with Jim Crawford, the guy who made Frog Fractions, and they mostly talk about indie games and a bit about AAA games with tons of tangents off into fucking insanity and whatever they want. They're hilarious, and the podcast is one I look forward to every week.

They're also good bros with the Idle Thumbs guys. They share office space with Campo Santo, and if you listen to Idle Thumbs, a lot of the stories they share are about hanging out with the VG Hot Dog guys, like Jake's recent story about doing a room escape. They've even been guests on Idle Thumbs a few times.

And they have a very infrequent podcast that gets posted to their feed, hosted by all women in the industry, called Video Games Taco. It's the same basic level of discussion and humor, and the only bummer is they post like once every couple months.

http://videogameshotdog.com/

dugdug

Banned
I'm sold. Thank you to those who brought it up in this thread. Definitely some episodes that I'm a very interested in.

Thanks for checking us out. Hope you enjoy!

I'd also recommend:

Midnight Resistance
Gameburst
The Same Coin
Gamecritics
Videogamer
The Recycle Bin
Player One Podcast
Bitsocket

Moofers

Well here's a shameless plug:
http://moofcast.libsyn.com
We've been running since 2008 and never really caught on beyond our small but loyal audience. We've had David Jaffe and Phil Kollar as guests at one point and we used to have a full crew of 4 guys and 1 gal, but for some time now it's been just myself and my co-host Nick. Life got in the way for the others (and at times for us as well) but we are still plugging away and having our fun.

I'd like to throw out that I really enjoy Patrick Klepek's Three Beers Deep. It's just him which seems like it'd be hard to pull off but he does a great job. They are also short episodes which is a nice change of pace and seems to keep each one focused.

And I know this is for gaming podcasts but if you want something off-topic, you gotta try "Henry and Heidi" which is Henry Rollins and his assistant Heidi May. She basically just coaxes stories out of Henry and it's always entertaining at the least, and amazing at best. Check it out!

Porcile

Nintendo Voice Chat is pretty good now, though sometimes it can be a little light on content but the hosts are great.

My personal favourites are:

Big Red Barrelcast (fairly serious gaming news and opinion show, with a good dose of off topic, pop-culture and humour)

Big Red Barrel Boom (more of a general pop-culture and humour show with a non-existant schedule.)

Big Red Barrel UK (like the Barrelcast, but with more british, amiibo and ramblings)

Radio Free Nintendo (news and opinion, Nintendo focused but not exclusive)

The Famicast (like RFN, but with a lot of japanese culture thrown in and more Killer Instict news)

Supplements:

PlayStation Nation (used to be my go-to, I don't listen to it as much anymore. I feel it lasts too long for just the two current hosts to carry it. They lost their third host some time ago.)

Official PlayStation Blogcast (gets high profile guests, but you get the feeling they can't say or ask too many "negative" things)

Loomer

Laser Time podcast have been a favorite of mine lately. They have a video game podcast called Vidjya Game Apocalypse where they do a quick top five list centered around a topic followed by news and listener feedback. The premise is sometimes just an excuse to talk about whatever they want or ties into some current thing going on in the news. Very easy to put on an older episode to listen to.

The group consist of ex games radar staff and their friends. They all play off each other as regular friends who have known each other for while and that makes the show entertaining. Very funny and has become a must listen to every week.

Have heard of this one before, will definitely check it out, seems great. Here's what I recommend:

PlayerOne - this one's rather well known around GAF, but anyone that hasn't heard it yet definitely should

ZQSD - This one's in French, but it sure makes me glad to have learned the language, anybody fluent in French should check it out, it's fantastic.

Three Nerds in a Basement - Not quite as gaming-centric as it used to be, but it's pretty fun nonetheless, the hosts have great chemistry.

Don't think 8 - 4 play needs to be mentioned, seems to be the most popular podcast on GAF, this side of the Bombcast.

mega64 podcast is great and its been going for like 9 years. But it isnt all about games, they usually have a section for game reviews and if there is huge news they talk about it

charsace

The Game Design Roundtable.

Guys who really know games talking about games and teaching people what goes into making them.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Pedal To The Medal is a personal favorite of mine. It's run by a great group of guys and they never cease to make me laugh. Helped more than a few stressful work days go by quickly.

Disclaimer: I've been on it twice, but it doesn't taint my opinion whatsoever. :p

Luke_Wal

The group consist of ex games radar staff and their friends. They all play off each other as regular friends who have known each other for while and that makes the show entertaining. Very funny and has become a must listen to every week.

Also really enjoy No More Whoppers

And while I want to listen to usgamer I find it so boring.

Laser Time Laser Time Laser Time Laser Time Laser Time

One of the most informative and entertaining shows out there. As a millennial, I've learned so much about the culture of the 80's and 90's from this show. Honestly incredible. I look forward to it each week.

In terms of more produced, not at all game related stuff: Serial is an obvious one, and This American Life has some great episodes, but the trio of shows from Gimlet Media take the cake. Startup, Reply All, and especially Mystery Show are incredibly well produced (Startup and Mystery Show especially), have fantastic writing, and really affable hosts. Reply All has been kind of off its game lately, with a lot of stories from external contributors, but some of their early episodes are spectacular stuff. If anybody's interested in the more story-telling based side of podcasting, Gimlet's shows are a great place to start, Mystery Show in particular.

thenexus6

Here is my list.

TYGkJQh.png

Idle Thumbs is bottom left.

I've listened to CAG cast the longest, probably since 2008. And I only just started listening to Major Nelson again after not for about 3-4 years.

Some that aren't as well known, Call of Podcast and GameEnthus possibly.

The Boat

I don't know if I can do this, but I'm gonna plug the Portuguese podcast me and my friends do, if it's a problem I'll delete the post.

It's called Contra os Canhões, Power-Up, Power-Up, we talk mostly about videogames and to a lesser degree movies, but we keep it loose and ramble about lots of geek pop-culture stuff... and wrestling.
Again, it's in Portuguese, we don't have a site yet, but we have Facebook and Youtube pages where you can hear the podcasts and so on.

oneils

The Crate & Crowbar! Fantastic British podcast that is PC-centric. I like to roll with:

Giantbomb for my weekly general gaming often console focused discussion

8-4 for nintendo/japanese centric discussion/perspective, very awesome

Crate & Crowbar for PC centric discussion and again, since everyone is british, a ncie change of perspective.

Really between these 3 podcasts, I really get everything I want, and none of them have anyone I want to kill. I listen to a few others, but they are often to fill out my week after I've listened to these 3.

I really like crate and crowbar but they really need to work on the audio. Every episode I've listened has some sort of high pitched whine going on in the feed. It's faint but I can hear it.

Sizzle55

I agree with the positive comments for GT Time its a really solid podcast. Podcast Beyond is really getting better each week and I actually enjoy it more than when Greg was there. For any Australian's out there the GA Podcast is really good, Local lads, plenty of swearing and jokes, they sometimes have issues getting episodes out and post two at once. I listen to all of these either on the bus or when I am churning out missions in Destiny.

Mr. Tibbs

Watch out for Fireballs!

That's a great pick. Watch out for Fireballs is like Retronauts except with personable hosts and really detailed, insightful commentary. When they revisit a game, they play through the entire thing and thoroughly examine what does and doesn't work in context of their playthrough. The little skits at the start are fantastic, too.

kiun

The Scorecast - Foreigners in Japan. Company founded by a foreigner. They always have a guest who is also in the industry and is a foreigner. It is amazing

Super Marcato Bros. Videogame Music Podcast - The best podcast for videogame music

They also might be my top 2 podcasts that are on a more regular release basis.
On a side note we have a thread for the Scorecast so please join in if you are listening. I just found the thread a week or so ago.
I will be making weekly Super Marcato Bros threads because I really think people should listen to this and we have plenty of GAFers who love videogame music.

Thanks for the Super Marcato Bros recommendation. I am not well verse with most of the terminology but its awesome to have a podcast that is dedicated to vgm

I really like crate and crowbar but they really need to work on the audio. Every episode I've listened has some sort of high pitched whine going on in the feed. It's faint but I can hear it.

I gotta be honest man, i listen to these things primarily on an ipod shuffle while I exercise so while I can say I've never picked that up, I can also say I probably don't contribute to a clear listening environment so I wouldn't deny you your point. IT really is my main recommendation for this thread though, I think between the 5 of them, they are pretty insightful and funny. I also like that often you don't get ALL five but an ever rotating mix based on who's free, it keeps things changed up.

Former Giant Bomb Dot Com news intern Patrick "Scoops" Klepek has a new podcast match3.

Aw nice, cheers for that! I know what I'm listening to this morning.

Playstation Blogcast is really good if you've got a few Sony consoles.

Clemence from Beyond is there which is nice.

Their last ep had Shu on and he was gushing about getting his second ever Platinum in Bloodborne. Good stuff in general!

To reiterate what many have already said here. GT Time.
The whole host of Gametrailers.com shows are pretty good. (Some better than others)

Sizzle55

Playstation Blogcast is really good if you've got a few Sony consoles.

Clemence from Beyond is there which is nice.

Their last ep had Shu on and he was gushing about getting his second ever Platinum in Bloodborne. Good stuff in general!
Yeah Ryan Clements is terrific, all the guys have a great dynamic with each other, only thing I don' t really like is all the developer interviews, When they just talk amongst themselves though it is top notch.

USGamer in general doesn't seem to get quite a lot of attention, sadly. They consistently write some great articles, but next to no one seems to ever talk about them. Heck, they don't even have 10k likes on Facebook.

I think it's because they are just too mellow and level headed. They have articles that tackle some tough and difficult topics and often do so with an even hand and thoughtful, measured approach, but they don't go for click and controversy courting headlines and avoid grand standing and boldly asserting their opinion as the True Speak on the topic at hand.

Basically they make to good an effort at being a respectable place for video game reporting and editorials, too good a job at being like an actual news site not a vidya games press site, to get people frothing and screaming and attract the largely negative spirited attention of the internet gaming community at large.

bigjig

Bit Socket (Scottish comedic game podcast that is funny as fuck)

Crate and Crowbar (PC orientated, but has the deepest commentary on games I've heard in a podcast. Honestly a must listen even if you aren't a PC gamer)

Are my two must listens that don't really see a lot of love on gaf

Wikzo

Digital Drift - a British podcast about gaming and media culture in general. They usually take a series (e.g., the Harry Potter movies, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, etc.) and go through all the entries. Very in-depth and very interesting. Daniel Floyd (from Extra Credits) sometimes have a guest appearance.

Tone Control from Idle Thumbs (retired, but has many episodes) - Steve Gaynor (Gone Home) talks with game designers in a very casual way. Lots of insights into game development.

Experience Points - two good friends talk about games. The format is short, but they usually go quite in-depth.

Top Bottom