• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Trends That Need to Die in 2015 (GameSpot)

Wulfram

During the skimpy armor part they basically ask for practical armor for everyone which I really don't agree with. Varric's outfit reflects part of his personality. Don't put that guy in some plate mail.

It basically just comes down to if the design is consistent or not.

Also, I'd say that the current trend goes for less skimpy armor. That they had to pull footage from the old Tera MMO speaks for itself.

Iron Bull annoys me in DA:I, because he's a warrior who nominally wears heavy armour, yet goes around totally bare chested in a series that's otherwise quite sensible in heavy armour designs. But Varric is OK, yes.

spekkeh

Banned
pinging is like the worst idea ever, especially for players with mild ocd tendencies (so, like, all of them). It should come to no one's surprise that Dragon Age: Inquisition, a game already riddled with terrible design decisions to a ridicules degree, is probably the worst offender.

I don't have ocd tendencies, so I don't mind it as much. I do think it leads to lazy world design and so I wouldn't mind seeing it go. On the other hand, I don't mind 'gamer vision', I see it more as expert vision. Like, a cyborg ninja would obviously have a different epistemic frame than I have.

I also don't really mind boob armor (though it would be better if there were enough other options). It's just fashion really, we all know it. Most male armor types only look cool and are not very practical either. I think most women given the choice would choose the sexy armor over the practical armor for their avatar too.

Apart from that, I think the video is on point. Microtransactions, day one patches, useless junk, etc. theys gots to go.

Getting rid of patches seems like a bad idea.

Broken games at launch are the issue.

Patches are good thing. They can help with balancing in some games and deal with any small glitches that need to be fixed.

- Pinging the world to highlight objects of interest
- Gamer vision/detective vision
- Patches
- Too many MOBA games trying to grab eSports bucks
- Buying ingame money with real money
- Skimpy armor
- Kickstarter games going missing

It's pretty boring stuff. The biggest problem with the video is way too much unnecessary acting bullshit. Just talk about the issues.

Crazy, I agree with all these. Although I still think skimpy armour can be a thing in an erotic game. Patches is also kind of a misnomer though. Patching can be pretty rad.

Read the very next sentence.

A change in gender is already a huge change in the story. A girl growing up has very different experiences from a boy growing up, especially in the times that AC games are set in. Their relationships with other characters are also likely to be different.

There should be more games with female protagonists sure (including the AC series), but please don't infect my games with choice.
How often are the stories in AC deep enough to include something as nuanced as that? Not since AC2.

"Your games"? Enough with that gamergate bullshit. They aren't your games as if your opinions on them is sacrosanct. They are the developer's games. We only play them.

Getting rid of patches seems like a bad idea.

Broken games at launch are the issue.

Patches are good thing. They can help with balancing in some games and deal with any small glitches that need to be fixed.

I think the point is that they're tired of patches because they're tired of being given broken games at launch.

I think the point is that they're tired of patches because they're tired of being given broken games at launch.

But patches don't equal broken games. They can be applied for many different reasons.

There are classic games that I'm sure devs would have applied a patch to if they could simply to optimize something or get rid of small glitches.

How often are the stories in AC deep enough to include something as nuanced as that? Not since AC2.

I'm pretty sure that many consider Unity to now have the best story in the series. Of course it has a bunch of other issues in it that weigh it down.

Bioware giving you the option to select gender makes sense as they make games where a major selling point of said game is choice, so obviously one of those choices should be your gender. On the other hand you have something like FFXV where choice is not an option, there aren't dialog trees or anything like that. There are preset characters in a preset world. You're playing through a story that's going to play out the same for everyone that plays it.

Another facor is that a lot of story oriented games are starting to use performance capture. This means that they have the actors in a room acting out the scenes while dialog is recorded along to make sure that not only is the dialog more natural but that the actual movements of the characters are more natural than what can be achieved by doing booth recordings. The process of doing that is not only expensive but it's also very time consuming.

Elandyll

Banned
About the skimpy armor (which is an issue that bothers both my wife and I), I don't care about the "realism" of it. It's a videogame.

Choices are good. Let people choose skimpy if they want it.

Now what I don't like, is when it has a sexist undertone, aka when the exact same piece of armor is a full chest plate for a guy, and transforms into a tiny iron bra for a female character "magically".
Make both (sexy and functional/ realistic) types be available, but let's stop pretending that said armor pieces aren't the same thing depending on the character's gender, shall we?

One pretty big thing they forgot for me in the video is this: Day 1 DLC.

That shit has got to stop (it clearly won't).

DAY 1 DLC means 1 of two things generally:

Either

1) A small portion of the team was working on stuff to sell on the side during standard dev time.
Which means they could have helped with the main game instead.

OR

2) At some point in time, an exec decided that the game as it stood then was worth $60, and from now on they'd go and develop content that would be released on day 1 for more money.

Either way, on Day one, they essentially say this:

IF you want ALL of the game we developped, it's going to cost you more than $60.

I'm all for options and DLC after the main release. But don't stand there with your hand open with puppy eyes and pretending that you are doing me a favor while at the same time you are hoping I'll forget you are asking for more money for content that should be included in the standard game for $60.

Is Season Pass worse?
Debatable imo.

But at least then they are merely asking you to help fund -future- development, not asking you to pay -more- (double taxation?) for something you already did when you purchased the main game.

Sorry, I support the 'pinging' mechanic. I'm indifferent on detective vision and that sort of thing since it depends on context.

But I'm getting old and the more detailed games become the harder it is for me to make out tiny objects quickly. If it weren't for the ping thing I would die every few seconds in Dying Light.

Top Bottom