• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gang Beasts can't commit to XB1 release due to parity clause, considering Switch

Sanador

So... What is a parity clause? Seriously i'm lost here.

If a game comes to Xbox, it cannot have launched earlier on any other platform. It must have a simultaneous release with other platforms to be on Xbox, or not on other platforms at all.

Well there is no evidence suggesting it has changed since Chris Charla update in 2015, none would there be a reason for the devs to be talking to MS about it atm.

Besides a comment from Phil saying that they don't enforce it anymore, I agree with you that Microsoft hasn't made it clear to devs. If this policy is no longer in place, they should make sure that any potential developers openly know. Lack of evidence either way is what I'm talking about here.

In this case, the dev stated that they've started conversation with Microsoft and that's where the relation to the parity clause ends. Their comments after that indicate that they can't commit to a release "if" Microsoft imposes restrictions. That does not tells us that Microsoft is indeed imposing the restrictions the dev mentioned.

Teletraan1

Banned
People naming some of the biggest Indie game releases in the last few years as examples that there is no parity clause are missing something pretty key. MS said that they could review games on a case by case basis to skirt the clause. Of course they are going to do it for the bigger, proven successful on other platform games. They aren't going to give a pass to every dev that wants to release late due to budgetary concerns. That is why this clause is hurtful. Not because of them giving a pass to proven successes, but its existence is a detriment to the unknowns.

I have a feeling that half of the time these types of outrages get the dev in the door because MS wants to avoid backlash. Hopefully it does so more people can have access to a game.

paulogy

Firewatch

The witness

So technically the Xbox One version of The Witness had more anti-aliasing (but a lower resolution), I believe.

Of course when the PS4 Pro was announced, a patch for The Witness was made which applied the superior anti-aliasing (not to mention a lot more).

Regardless, parity clause is dumb.

EvB

Abzu too. Maybe if the indie gave is high-profile enough they will make an exception?

I think it's moreso when the game hasn't had a cash payout to keep it away from other platforms, maybe Abzu didn't have any artificially created exclusivity period.
Less of that is happening now as Sony doesn't heart indies like they used to. Gangbeasts however was announced for PS4 in 2014 at the height of #PS4lovesindie and it one of an absolute handful of games that hasn't released.
Gangbeasts was announced for PS4 back in 2014 during the height of that.

Cerium

However it's going to be difficult as well getting Gang Beasts on Switch since Nintendo are also backwards in wanting exclusive feature or exclusivity as well on their EShop and not just a port.
Doesn't Nintendo have similar clauses or at least the stipulation you have to add something new to your game if it's not launching the same date as other games?
... but wasnt there talk of Nintendo having a similar parity clause on switch? Or am I just imagining it.

I see a lot of people repeating this and it is 100% false.

I think it's a misinterpretation or straight twisting of this statement:

Damon Baker said:
"We're not saying no to content that only uses the touchscreen or doesn't use the Joy-Con in a unique way, but at the same time we're trying to encourage those developers and have a conversation with them and say, 'Look, fans are probably expecting these types of fun features and functionality in the game' so maybe they should consider them and take a look at what it would take to implement that technology into the game if it makes sense for that type of experience."
So it's encouraged, but not mandated.

Melchiah

No, context is important. Early in the gen they didn't allowed self publishing so many devs were further along with PS4 and PC version, and when Xbox allowed self publishing many decided to focus on Xbox after the game shipped. To prevent that Ms put a clause, but that clause was never meant to block content,just entice developers to contact Ms so they can see if it's possible to release at the same time.

But like everything else around that time it got blown out of proportion.

Except it's older than that. Here's Eurogamer's article from August 2011 about it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts
"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Not all agree, however. One representative from a publisher who wished to remain anonymous told Eurogamer Microsoft's policy blocks developers from taking advantage of other platforms' strengths.

"Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

I think it's moreso when the game hasn't had a cash payout to keep it away from other platforms, maybe Abzu didn't have any artificially created exclusivity period.
Less of that is happening now as Sony doesn't heart indies like they used to. Gangbeasts however was announced for PS4 in 2014 at the height of #PS4lovesindie and it one of an absolute handful of games that hasn't released.
Gangbeasts was announced for PS4 back in 2014 during the height of that.

This post is full of nonsense

FZW

Can you name one? Most I have seen are either simultaneous or have exclusive or timed extras.

Axiom Verge
The Witness
Binding of Isaac
Firewatch
Towerfall Ascension

All released months later with no extra Xbox specific content, and im sure there is more.

Wereroku

Axiom Verge
The Witness
Binding of Isaac
Firewatch
Towerfall Ascension

All released months later with no extra Xbox specific content, and im sure there is more.

Firewatch had early access to extra content. But the others were released without extras.

If a game comes to Xbox, it cannot have launched earlier on any other platform. It must have a simultaneous release with other platforms to be on Xbox, or not on other platforms at all.

1dxet4.jpg

The parity stipulates that indies are only able to release games on Xbox One if it's simultaneous with versions for other platforms, is exclusive (even temporarily) for Xbox One, or comes with exclusive content to ensure the Xbox One SKU stands out from others released before it.
3 options

Dremorak

Banned
I really hope they can bring this to switch. Its one of my most wanted co-op on the go games.

All the switch needs is Gang beasts, Nidhogg and smash bros. I could pretty much play these games forever

FZW

Firewatch had early access to extra content. But the others were released without extras.

What early access? I finished the game on both and I didnt see anything different. Just googled and nothing came up. What am I missing here?

Wereroku

What early access? I finished the game on both and I didnt see anything different. Just googled and nothing came up. What am I missing here?

XBO had the audio tour and free roam mode when it was released in September and PS4/PC didn't get it until November.

The wording in the article makes it seem like the dev is speculating? The parity clause may not even be an issue it looks like.

Meh, que the 20+ pages this thread is gonna generate.

DavidDesu

Get it on Switch, absolutely perfect. Would buy there over and above my PS4. Had my eye on this for what feels like years..

The Giant

Banned
I hope you xbox owners are starting to realise that Phil just lies and just keeps saying things that xbots want to hear.

rjc571

Banned
More indie devs should ignore Xbox due to the parity clause. MS's position in the market isn't nearly strong enough to justify these kinds of strongarm tactics. With so many other viable platforms at their disposal, indies don't need to support Xbox for their game to be successful.

Anustart

Bought this on steam and played it once. This was about 2 months ago. Had the game been made fun yet? Not trolling, wondering if it's made any large strides.

Just in the past week or two I remember people saying on here the Parity Clause was done, that it didn't exist anymore.

I assume the devs didn't "just come talk to us!" ???

EDIT: Sounds like they did talk to them, ugh.

Tigress

MS sure seem to want to cling to this policy, even though multiple developers have listed this as the reason they haven't or won't release their game on Xbox.

Their loss...again, common thing for them this gen.

And if switch gets popular this will really hurt xbox's chance at getting games. Two popular consoles with no such policy or cater to the one that isn't as popular (or at best is as popular as one of those but not as popular as the other).

Honestly, if I liked indie games and had an xbox, I'd be cheering Switch to do well cause I would think if Switch does well, this will pretty much force MS to change the policy as it will only hurt them (what little benefit it has will disappear when the payoff is very obvious on which one will be better for the developer).

HeatBoost

Wait, the article makes it sound like MS is giving them shit because they want a Windows store release, not because of the parity clause?

Which y'know, functionally is still being a pain, but is the details are different

Personally the most notable thing about this is 'a PS4 build has been submitted to Sony'. I can't wait to have 4 player shenanigans on my PS4!

Lifeline

The wording in the article makes it seem like the dev is speculating? The parity clause may not even be an issue it looks like.

Meh, que the 20+ pages this thread is gonna generate.

They flat out said they've been talking with Microsoft and it's not going anywhere. How is he speculating?

Top Bottom