• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gang Beasts can't commit to XB1 release due to parity clause, considering Switch

Kayant

Would anyone be interested in a thread that reviews what games were released late on XBO in 2017 to see how many have exclusive content?

That would probably be the best way to determine whether the parity clause is still a thing or not
There would be cool but in some cases it will be hard to see if that was just the devs doing it because they wanted or if they needed it i.e RL as it would probably have gotten an exception either way but given PS4/PC got exclusive items(Not always cars) it makes sense Xbox got something too.

Nheco

ffs Microsoft. You should'nt make hard to release shit on your platform, specially when you are NOT in #1 spot.

Stinkles, save us.

There would be cool but in some cases it will be hard to see if that was just the devs doing it because they wanted or if they needed it i.e RL as it would probably have gotten an exception either way but given PS4/PC got exclusive items(Not always cars) it makes sense Xbox got something too.

The best methodology would probably be to compare the percentage of late releases on XBO receiving extra content, compared to the same number for XBO

Shin-Ra

Phil499.gif

And how do you know that doesn't boil down to the fact that devs probably rather spend resources on releasing on PS4 since it has double the install base?

And lol at comparing PS4, let alone Xbox, to PC indie releases. Neither console can even sniff close to that support so it's a dumb comparison

You're making a pretty big blanket assumption that it's because of parity clause which I find to be a bit misguided.

Or maybe they target Playstation since it has the most user share, and then the game doesn't sell enough copies on the most popular system to warrant a port to a system with half the install base.

Seems much more plausible

Please tell that to Sony when they go to pick their ps plus games for the month.

see5harp

Would anyone be interested in a thread that reviews what games were released late on XBO in 2017 to see how many have exclusive content?

That would probably be the best way to determine whether the parity clause is still a thing or not

I imagine that would be interesting but without the dev straight up saying they added the content specifically due the parity Clause you still wouldn't know anything for certain.

Am I missing something in this article? I know that MS had that whole parity clause, but I also remember Phil saying they weren't enforcing it anymore.

While reading the article I didn't see any statements that seemed to suggest they talked to Xbox and were told they need to do X, Y, or Z thing to get approved for release. Just that they've started talking and said they can't commit if Microsoft were to ask them to do those things. Help me Gaf.

As an example:

"We're talking to [Xbox], and if it's low-friction, we'd definitely love to get it out this year,"

Right after that they mention that "if" Microsoft wants to enforce requirements, they can't commit to a release this year. Doesn't sound to me like Microsoft already told them they need to do certain things to get approved.

King_Moc

Banned
Microsoft are so weird. This policy has always been dumb and just smacks of them trying to get indie timed exclusives without actually paying the money for it. No wonder they get barely any games compared to the competition.

Shin-Ra

ffs Microsoft. You should'nt make hard to release shit on your platform, specially when you are NOT in #1 spot.

Stinkles, save us.
The whole situation looks crystal clear to me, but I'm sure they'll get back to us with a clear explanation of what happened, it might take a few years but eventually!

Actually, considering how long this game has been in early access and the fact that MS has an early access program, not really sure why that wouldn't be the console version they prioritized anyway. This game's development has been weird. Seems like forever ago that I was watching it on GB.

So this developer has confirmation in writing, I assume, that confirms they needs parity with release dates in order to launch their game on Xbox?

I read the article but I cant see anything concrete, is there more to this?

So this developer has confirmation in writing, I assume, that confirms they needs parity with release dates in order to launch their game on Xbox?

I read the article but I cant see anything concrete, is there more to this?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed their weird wording. Their statements say that they're concerned about the clause, but not that Microsoft imposed anything on them before getting approval. I'd love to know if there's something I missed here.

This game used to be great. The post match scoreboard thing is really annoying.

So many of the most recent updates just break game flow and feel, it's a shame.

Rounds NEED to be fast paced without these long wait times inbetween rounds, and just add a lives/score counter ingame on the bottom like it did in the super early builds. That worked find and was great.

Not to mention some of the....strange mechanic changes, like knockouts being recoverable nearly instantly, grabbing being much worse now, and overall wonkyness of the controls now vs. months ago. The game was great before (sans the crashing after certain stages), and now I don't even want to play the thing because of al of the questionable design changes.

Kayant

Am I missing something in this article? I know that MS had that whole parity clause, but I also remember Phil saying they weren't enforcing it anymore.

While reading the article I didn't see any statements that seemed to suggest they talked to Xbox and were told they need to do X, Y, or Z thing to get approved for release. Just that they've started talking and said they can't commit if Microsoft were to ask them to do those things. Help me Gaf.

As an example:

Right after that they mention that "if" Microsoft wants to enforce requirements, they can't commit to a release this year. Doesn't sound to me like Microsoft already told them they need to do certain things to get approved.
By default parity clause comes in if you don't do a simultaneous release on console or release on XB1 first. As the dev says in the first quote whilst they have Xbox dev kit they can't commit to it because they are unsure if they can get an expection. They don't want to do exclusive content which is the straight forward way to get an expection. Needing a Win store verison(Assuming that's what open windows version means) is them speculating in terms of what is needed to release with ID@Xbox from the sounds of things. No sure what
We're talking to [Xbox], and if it's low-friction, we'd definitely love to get it out this year
exactly means.

The point being made is that the fact they are blocked from releasing on a platform because of releasing somewhere else first is causing issues with them fully committing to an XB1 release despite having a devkit at hand.

They are likely being vague about some things because of the NDA you sign once you're an ID@Xbox dev.

By default parity clause comes in if you don't do a simultaneous release on console or release on XB1 first. As the dev says in the first quote whilst they have Xbox dev kit they can't commit to it because they are unsure if they can get an expection. They don't want to do exclusive content which is the straight forward way to get an expection. Needing a Win store verison(Assuming that's what open windows version means) is them speculating in terms of what is needed to release with ID@Xbox from the sounds of things. No sure what exactly means.

The point being made is that the fact they are blocked from releasing on a platform because of releasing somewhere else first is causing issues with them fully committing to an XB1 release despite having a devkit at hand.

They are likely being vague about some things because of the NDA you sign once you're an ID@Xbox dev.

You highlighted exactly what I'm asking though. The developer openly stated that they can't commit to a release "if" Microsoft imposes those requirements on them. What they don't seem to say is that Microsoft "is" actively imposing those requirements. It just seems to me like we're freaking out about the Parity clause when even the developer hasn't fully stated that they're being restricted by it. Their comments seem to say that they're being cautious because of how those rules were, but not that Microsoft denied them already.

The Parity clause seems like a real pain for developers, and I really hope that Microsoft is actually done with it. I just don't see proof here that they're still using it.

FZW

Ive seen so many games released on XB1 that dont follow this so-called parity clause, I dont know if I can even take any of this seriously.

Kayant

You highlighted exactly what I'm asking though. The developer openly stated that they can't commit to a release "if" Microsoft imposes those requirements on them. What they don't seem to say is that Microsoft "is" actively imposing those requirements. It just seems to me like we're freaking out about the Parity clause when even the developer hasn't fully stated that they're being restricted by it. Their comments seem to say that they're being cautious because of how those rules were, but not that Microsoft denied them already.

The Parity clause seems like a real pain for developers, and I really hope that Microsoft is actually done with it. I just don't see proof here that they're still using it.
They don't need to be explicitly denied though because we already know they wouldn't be allowed on id@xbox without something "fresh" at release for XB1(If releasing on XB1 late) which they are against doing. As they already have a PS4 build in the works they can't fully commit to an XB1 release because of not knowing if they will get an expection(As in being allowed on the platform but not needed to have anything "fresh" for XB1 at release) and if negotiation will be quick enough for them to get it out this year.

EvB

Ive seen so many games released on XB1 that dont follow this so-called parity clause, I dont know if I can even take any of this seriously.

I suspect it probably doesn't really apply any more as Sony aren't handing out "support" for indie devs anymore, which was kind of what the parity clause was intended to fuck with.

Gangbeasts is probably one of those devs that soaked up that support, which is why PSVR support has been announced "for the sake of it"

They don't need to be explicitly denied though because we already know they wouldn't be allowed on id@xbox without something "fresh" at release for XB1(If releasing on XB1 late) which they are against doing. As they already have a PS4 build in the works they can't fully commit to an XB1 release because of not knowing if they will get an expection(As in being allowed on the platform but not needed to have anything "fresh" for XB1 at release) and if negotiation will be quick enough for them to get it out this year.

You're operating under the assumption that the parity clause is still in effect, which is what I'm asking about. People are (understandably) angry about the idea that Microsoft is still enforcing that, but we don't really have any proof that they are.

This is a statement from a developer that states they can't commit to a release if the clause is still in effect. It isn't confirmation that Microsoft is enforcing anything on them, just that they're worried they will be. The impetus is on Microsoft here to openly tell devs that they want their games without restrictions. I just don't understand the knee-jerk reactions about something that may or not even be a limitation right now.

As I said, the parity clause is a POS, but this article isn't proof that Microsoft is still enforcing it.

Why is this garbage policy still a thing? For fuck's sake, Microsoft.

As I stated above, the article in OP doesn't confirm that the policy is still in place. All of the wording suggests that the dev is just unwilling to commit because they're worried it's still there.

A Switch release would be ace. Also I'm always shocked to hear that this game is till in early access.

It doesn't even have multiplayer in the non beta version afaik. I've owned and have been following this game for years. Great party game, would be great on Switch. But as it is, they've barely made measurable progress. Maps are very limited and online while it works, is very limited due to servers.

Wait.... Open Windows version? You have to release on the W10 store as well as Xbox now?

Also, get the fuck out of here. All these people are in the end just PR for the company. If you believed anything else you're dumb.

Microsoft is calling UWP version as Open Windows? That's some "1984" double speak territory.

How much are you going to spin? Them needing to talk to MS to get an exception is the very definition of blocking also on never asking for exclusive content hmmm -
I'm not spinning they never blocked anyone big or small.

If they had there would be at least one Dev saying they were actually blocked and as far as I'm aware none ever showed up.

Kayant

You're operating under the assumption that the parity clause is still in effect, which is what I'm asking about. People are (understandably) angry about the idea that Microsoft is still enforcing that, but we don't really have any proof that they are.

This is a statement from a developer that states they can't commit to a release if the clause is still in effect. It isn't confirmation that Microsoft is enforcing anything on them, just that they're worried they will be. The impetus is on Microsoft here to openly tell devs that they want their games without restrictions. I just don't understand the knee-jerk reactions about something that may or not even be a limitation right now.

As I said, the parity clause is a POS, but this article isn't proof that Microsoft is still enforcing it.

As I stated above, the article in OP doesn't confirm that the policy is still in place. All of the wording suggests that the dev is just unwilling to commit because they're worried it's still there.
Well there is no evidence suggesting it has changed since Chris Charla update in 2015, none would there be a reason for the devs to be talking to MS about it atm.

EvB

Microsoft is calling UWP version as Open Windows? That's some "1984" double speak territory.

No, this developer is calling it open windows for some unknown reason. That phrase doesn't exist anywhere else online.

Boneloaf should probably refrain from commenting on the parity clause not being fair for them as they are financial tied to Sony, as they have taken cash from Sony according to their own website.

Currently a number of hardware specific versions of the game are in development (for release in 2016) with financial support from hardware manufacturers and platform holders.

Wereroku

I'm not spinning they never blocked anyone big or small.

If they had there would be at least one Dev saying they were actually blocked and as far as I'm aware none ever showed up.

Last we heard Skullgirls XBO wasn't coming because of the parity clause.

Can you name one? Most I have seen are either simultaneous or have exclusive or timed extras.

Can you name one? Most I have seen are either simultaneous or have exclusive or timed extras.
Axiom Verge

Boneloaf should probably refrain from commenting on the parity clause not being fair for them as they are financial tied to Sony, as they have taken cash from Sony according to their own website.
Guess that explains why the Early Access game hasn't taken advantage of MS' early access program.

Top Bottom