• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garth Brooks breaks The Beatles record by getting his 7th RIAA Diamond Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

If you lined up all the albums Garth Brooks has sold during his unparalleled career, they would stretch around the globe once and then back halfway around again.

When Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam announced that staggering statistic at a press conference in Nashville today, Brooks sat on the front row, gripping wife Trisha Yearwood's hand with a look of sheer disbelief — and immense gratitude. It was Yearwood who first told her husband of his latest history-making feat last week, surprising him on stage in Fresno, California, with the news of his seventh RIAA Diamond Award. That honor is given when an album reaches sales of more than 10 million copies. He is the first and only artist in music history to have seven Diamond certifications, now surpassing the Beatles.

To celebrate this incredible milestone, Brooks will give back to the people who made it all possible. He has teamed with the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development to host a free concert at Nashville's Ascend Amphitheater on October 24th. When Rolling Stone Country caught up with the icon after the big announcement, he was quick to correct us when we referred to it as a "show."

"The way to understand what this thing is, take the word 'show' out of it and think of it as a celebration," he told us. "We are going to come together and celebrate the seven Diamonds. . . Me and a guitar and the people who allowed me to get this award, we're going to go through a song off each [album]. Let me tell you, those seven songs are going to be fun, fun, fun to do."

Today, Brooks was also named a Tennessee Ambassador of Goodwill in honor of his seven-time RIAA achievement. The Oklahoma native took the press conference stage to praise all that the Volunteer State has done for him, for his wife and for the countless artists who follow in their footsteps.

"They talk about faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love. . . But as long as you have hope, you have a reason to get up in the morning. And Tennessee provides hope," he said. "The dream has always been Nashville, the dream has always been Tennessee, where you get to make your music."

http://www.rollingstone.com/country...ost-free-fan-celebration-in-nashville-w443162

His diamond albums include his debut self titled album, No Fences, Ropin' The Wind, Sevens, The Hits, Ultimate Live and The Ultimate Hits

That is one hell of a set when you have 2 greatest hits album and a live album go diamond with a mix of your earlier studio albums. I've always been a fan and can't wait to hear the new record he's dropping later this year.

MontyMarx

Neo Member
Legit accomplishment.

GB has one of the two lone country songs I actually enjoy ("The Thunder Rolls")

The other is "Boot Scootin' Boogie"

rjinaz

Garth Brooks is a talented musician. Many of his songs are classics to me "thunder rolls" "friends in low places" "when you come back to me again".

I'm not so sure I would consider him all time but, hey, a lot of people obviously might.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
The American country music scene is so massive but also seems like its own world. I've also never heard of him but he's like one of the biggest artists of all time apparently.

Yeah I always love seeing GAF react to country music threads.

Almost as funny as metal threads.

Never heard a single song, it's not my style but it's an impressive accomplishment to beat out a band with more international appeal.

The Beard

Legit accomplishment.

GB has one of the two lone country songs I actually enjoy ("The Thunder Rolls")

The other is "Boot Scootin' Boogie"

So you only like one Garth Brooks song then?

Boot Scootin' Boogie is by Brooks & Dunn. Completely different Brooks.

Hahahaha, man that will never not be funny. I rememebr when that happen, Walmart was trying to push that cd by the truckload

I saw that shit at Future Shop years ago and I fucking died laughing. That mug on him, holy shit

Chris_Gaines_-_Lost_in_You_single.png

This persona screams 'It's not about the music.'

FStop7

Banned
I know three Garth Brooks songs:

Friends in Low Places
The Thunder Rolls
The Red Strokes

I know he was super huge for like 4 or 5 years but it seems like he disappeared after that, I guess I'm surprised he's had this much longevity

Kaladin

It's hard to share Garth's music to those who haven't heard it. He does a lot to keep it off Youtube and similar online services and is largely successful. What you find of his music is often re-recorded by someone else, karaoke versions or shitty live videos. He's only got it on one digital service called Ghost Tunes so you'll never get it on iTunes, Spotify and Tidal.

Yet, despite the digital lockout, he's had this huge success still selling albums. Kinda crazy in this age.

rjinaz

I mean I'm from Arizona and I can't either.

Woah seems crazy to me. Are you young or recently moved here? Country is huge here, was huge even more a decade ago. I'm sure you have heard some of his songs even if you can't place them, like "2 pina colodas" or "friends in low places" because they are played in bars.

He doesn't belong in that company.

Yes he does. He's an entertaining musician who has a number of critically well-received hits throughout his discography. Just because you're not a fan of country doesn't negate what the man achieved.

My wife went to a concert of his this year and said it was the best show she'd ever been too. Apparently GB gives it his all on a rotating stage for people who come to his shows.

Zombine

Banned
The Beatles were around for what...7 years? Brooks is a talented musician and definitely a country icon, but any record can be broken with talent and more time than the last guy(s).

Never heard a Garth Brooks song in my life (only been going to bars for a year now, and most of them are jam bars) and I'm not a big fan of The Beatles (I HAVE REASONS) but good for him!

Congrats to him. Quite a legend.
Garth Brooks is a talented musician. Many of his songs are classics to me "thunder rolls" "friends in low places" "when you come back to me again".

I'm not so sure I would consider him all time but, hey, a lot of people obviously might.
"Thunder Rolls" is indeed a classic. Wish he would release a studio version that has the third verse that he does in concert.
Don't shitpost like this, come on.

Not a country fan but I always liked him. Thunder rolls as has already been said. And I think it was called standing outside the fire are my faves. Been a long time since I listened to them though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder how old GAFers that know him vs don't are.

I think that has a lot to do with it. He was 90s king, but then he retired to raise his kids.

Yes he does. He's an entertaining musician who has a number of well-deserved hits throughout his discography. Just because you're not a fan of country doesn't negate what the man achieved.

My wife went to a concert of his this year and said it was the best show she'd ever been too. Apparently GB gives it his all on a rotating stage for people who come to his shows.

Sure, he had all the moms losing their shit, I remember that vividly, but he's nowhere near as interesting, talented and influential as The Beatles, and that goes for their solo careers as well, sans Ringo.

A Brooks music video premiere in the 90's was treated like a Michael Jackson debut among a certain rural demographic. (He was alright, btw, had some decent singles and videos that accompanied them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom