• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garth Brooks breaks The Beatles record by getting his 7th RIAA Diamond Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, he had all the moms losing their shit, I remember that vividly, but he's nowhere near as interesting, talented and influential as The Beatles, and that goes for their solo careers as well, sans Ringo.

A Brooks music video premiere in the 90's was treated like a Michael Jackson debut among a certain rural demographic.

His vidyas were good. Almost mj good

I can't stand most country, but in 1993 I loved this album (on cassette). Ain't going down til the sun comes up was my jam man.

Check out this album art lol
Garth_Brooks_In_Pieces.jpg

Kaladin

I wonder how old GAFers that know him vs don't are.

I think that has a lot to do with it. He was 90s king, but then he retired to raise his kids.

That's one thing I love about his career, he retired to raise his kids and said he wouldn't be back at least till his youngest finished high school and that's pretty much what he did.

That's one thing I love about his career, he retired to raise his kids and said he wouldn't be back at least till his youngest finished high school and that's pretty much what he did.

He had already made enough money for 20 lifetimes at that point, so not that difficult of a decision really.

Any Frequency fans? Brooks had the featured song in that movie, "when you come back to me again" Might know him from that.

https://vimeo.com/70311696

Oh yeah. I sat through that video a lot back in the day. (oh, and I hate it)

Kaladin

He had already made enough money for 20 lifetimes at that point, so not that difficult of a decision really.

I respect it because even among the richest, it's not a decision you see made often.

How many artists are going to quit in their prime touring years to raise a family, and can then come back over a decade later and still sell out multiple shows in every city?

Country was still county when Garth was around in the 90's, and he's much more country than most anything on radio now.

Does seem like he represented a pivot point. Maybe it was all the imitators. Personally I started to get irritated when every country song started seeming like a novelty song. All this reminds me I once had a country phase though, huh.

The Beatles were around for what...7 years? Brooks is a talented musician and definitely a country icon, but any record can be broken with talent and more time than the last guy(s).
Exactly. Grats to Brooks but it's not easily comparable. Granted, there's really nothing else to compare this accomplishment with so what the heck lol.
This seems like a really poor way to downplay Garth's achievement. I mean, you could try to perhaps deconstruct his being in their company based on their influence on music at large (although I think Garth still had a large impact at least on country music that also bled into pop music for better or worse), but I don't think their tenure length makes sense. It's not like his albums were taking forever to Diamond.

1998 - 2006 (8 years)
1990 - 2006 (16 years)
1991 - 1998 (7 years)
1989 - 2006 (17 years)
1997 - 2006 (9 years)
1994 - 1998 (4 years)
2007 - 2016 (9 years)

Bonus shitpost:
1968 - 2001 (33 years)
1973 - 2010 (37 years)
1973 - 2001 (28 years)
1969 - 2001 (32 years)
2001 - 2010 (9 years)
1967 - 1997 (30 years)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does seem like he represented a pivot point. Maybe it was all the imitators. Personally I started to get irritated when every country song started seeming like a novelty song. All this reminds me I once had a country phase though, huh.

Garth was more end of an era than the end of country. Far, far closer to original country than much since.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People joke, but character aside that was still some good music.

He only did one single under that, didn't he? And it wasn't that bad. But it was REALLY out of character for him (hah) to just slip into that role without letting anyone know. I'm still wanting him to do a movie about that whole thing.

Garth was more end of an era than the end of country. Far, far closer to original country than much since.

Can't argue with that. A quick google here, and I see several other Garth Brooks songs I'd happily hear again:
The River
Rodeo
Standing outside the fire
what she's doing now
shameless
baton rouge

Wrong. So, so wrong.

Also wrong.

He has a few singles worth remembering, I guess, along with the videos, but no great albums, nothing legendary or that far-reaching in terms of world-wide influences, and he was always kind of corny to be honest, with that Chris Gaines shit popping up to solidify such a fact.

I'm correct, and Garth Brooks ain't shit compared to The Beatles.

(It didn't help I had to hear his music all the time at my house, or at somebody's else. The mom's around here really went overboard with that shit)

Not a fan of country, but I like a few of his songs.

It's awesome that he's been a longtime supporter of gay rights too, especially given his target demographic, particularly in the 90s.

I don't get many chances to bitch about The Thunder Rolls. I'm going to take this one and say it's beyond fucking stupid that there isn't a studio version of the complete song. The studio version not having the third verse just completely ruins the song. Every time I hear it, it pisses me off.

I don't get many chances to bitch about The Thunder Rolls. I'm going to take this one and say it's beyond fucking stupid that there isn't a studio version of the complete song. The studio version not having the third verse just completely ruins the song. Every time I hear it, it pisses me off.
high-fives

agreed. totally.

Dylan

"Friends in Low Places" remains one of my absolute least favourite songs of all time.

Nothing worse than being at a party where a bunch of drunk people attempt to sing it.

Chuck

Still without luck
Everyone go buy a copy of Rubber Soul so this hack doesn't keep this position.

If you were wondering the Beatles albums they are:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 1967
The Beatles - 1968
Abbey Road - 1969
1962-1966 (compilation) - 1973
1967-1970 (compilation) - 1973
'1' - 2000

My brother just went to a GB concert a week ago. Garth Brooks is actually a nice left-leaning guy from what I know. Thunder Rolls is his only song I really know but it's good.

Randomizer

Everyone go buy a copy of Rubber Soul so this hack doesn't keep this position.

If you were wondering the Beatles albums they are:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 1967
The Beatles - 1968
Abbey Road - 1969
1962-1966 (compilation) - 1973
1967-1970 (compilation) - 1973
'1' - 2000
Revolver, Rubber soul and Let It Be will all get there eventually. He won't keep the record that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom