• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garth Brooks breaks The Beatles record by getting his 7th RIAA Diamond Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love me some Garth Brooks music, but I'm pretty pissed at him for being so stubborn about allowing his music on streaming services.

Myriadis

I should give his music a try, even though I'm more a fan of the alterative country/americana scene like Magnolia Electric Co./Songs:Ohia or Gillian Welch.
He looks much more like Country Pop.

Revolver, Rubber soul and Let It Be will all get there eventually. He won't keep the record that long.
Rubber Soul is 4 million units off, Revolver is 5 million units off and Let it Be is 6 million off.

Garth has The Chase, In Pieces, Fresh Horses and Scarecrow which are 1, 2, 3 and 5 million away respectively.

AMUSIX

just wanted to say that Garth's secret best song is "The Night Will Only Know"

Also, I like his music, understand why he's so incredibly popular, but, yeah, not on the same level as the Beatles...shows how the music industry has changed.

Media

Brooks is one of the few country artists I enjoy. Ireland, The Red Stokes, The Dance, and course The Thunder Rolls. Less of the formulaic 'country boy' shit that the genre has become and more of the singer songwriter stuff it started out as.

Lenz44

Banned
He puts on a great concert, that's for sure. I think the draw is his songs are so easy and fun to sing along to. "Learning to Live Again" is one of my favorite deep tracks.

Here's a video of him going over to a woman with stage 3 cancer and playing for her in the middle of a song. He's a pretty good guy and happy for him for the record. https://youtu.be/veCRhOCwNEs

This si the first time I've heard of this guy. Maybe I've listened to something he's made before but I have no idea otherwise.

TraBuch

Banned
I can get not ever hearing any of his songs, but it legit boggles my mind that there are people her who have apparently never heard the name Garth Brooks. Unless you were born in the 2000s. If you were raised in the 90s, there's no way you haven't heard his name somewhere.

womfalcs3

Banned
Being from Iceland I could not name a Garth Brooks song to save my life
Well that sucks. There are some great Gaeth songs... Especially in the 90s.

The Dance, The River, To Make You Feel my Love, Unanswered Prayers, the song about being lost at sea in the storm, etc.

bionic77

Being from Iceland I could not name a Garth Brooks song to save my life
:lol

I am almost 40 and born and raised in the US and I am not sure I could name a single Garth song.

I would probably recognize one if it was played to me though.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Garth is just another pop nobody fed hit after hit by the powers that were. If he were worth remembering he'd still be putting in work like Tom Petty, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Willie Nelson, anyone who actually hung their hat on their song writing ability.

Write a hit Garth, Bruce Springsteen, Beck, and Neil Young are waiting you hack.

EYEL1NER

Not bad.
I wouldn't say that I'm a fan but I'll listen to Thunder Rolls or Callin' Baton Rouge if I hear them. I probably know a lot more songs than those two and Friends in Low Places but not by name; one of my sisters was a big country fan when I was young and listened to a lot of his music. He's definitely got his fans though and a lot of people like his music. He doesn't seem like a bad guy in general either. Congrats to him.

Laieon

Awesome. I'll take Garth Brooks over the Beatles any day of the week.

I can get not ever hearing any of his songs, but it legit boggles my mind that there are people her who have apparently never heard the name Garth Brooks. Unless you were born in the 2000s. If you were raised in the 90s, there's no way you haven't heard his name somewhere.

Yeah, it's weird. Lots of folks here are citing the fact that they don't live in the US as the reason why, but I live in Korea and occasionally hear his songs (not nearly as often as kpop mind you) in coffee shops. It's pretty common to see his name in noraebang books too.

I'm from Iowa and have lived in Texas 5 years and I can't either.

I'm from Iowa and lived in Texas for 14 years, I can name quite a bit. Maybe try getting out of your comfort zone.

CloudWolf

How the hell does an artist who's only popular in a specific group of people in the USA sell so much?

I mean, I'm pretty sure that almost nobody outside of the US could name a single song by him. Hell, the only reason I know his name is because I think a song of his was in Rock Band at some point, but I'm not even sure of that.

Media

Well that sucks. There are some great Gaeth songs... Especially in the 90s.

The Dance, The River, To Make You Feel my Love, Unanswered Prayers, the song about being lost at sea in the storm, etc.

I forgot about the river, and it made me remember We Shall Be Free.

Can you imagine a country star in the 90s calling for gay rights, religious tolerance, and racial harmony? Dude has balls.

How the hell does an artist who's only popular in a specific group of people in the USA sell so much?

I mean, I'm pretty sure that almost nobody outside of the US could name a single song by him. Hell, the only reason I know his name is because I think a song of his was in Rock Band at some point, but I'm not even sure of that.

People in Canada definitely love Garth Brooks, at least rural Canada. I signed up with GhostTunes just to buy his discography and country is not a genre I listen to anymore but nostalgia is powerful. But I would rather listen to Garth Brooks than the Beatles any day of the week.

In particular, I love the song That Summer. It's about a farm boy and a cougar. Last year one of my roommates was working on farms and I would always tease him about living in a Garth Brooks song.

This is impressive. The thing that I find interesting about Garth Brooks is that he took so much from other genres, like stadium rock, and became this huge force that reached a lot of people that didn't traditionally listen to country music.

Garth Brooks single handedly ruined country radio.

Nah, there have been a lot of hands in that. Besides, didn't people used to say that about Alabama? They're more country than most anything on country radio today. Really, Garth is too.

T-Matt

Garth is just another pop nobody fed hit after hit by the powers that were. If he were worth remembering he'd still be putting in work like Tom Petty, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Willie Nelson, anyone who actually hung their hat on their song writing ability.

Write a hit Garth, Bruce Springsteen, Beck, and Neil Young are waiting you hack.
They can keep waiting, he is hanging with writers that get him 7 diamond certifications.

despite his wierd youtube point of view (?), he's one really good guy.
both music and personality wise.

You must have really big balls as a country artist to write a song like "We shall be free" in 1992(!).
it's good to see that there are actually some country singers out there who are not hardcore right conservatives with bigoted views. Brooks being one of the them (also Willie Nelson, Merle, Allan Coe...)

I also LOVE his legendary "Beer Run" duet with George Jones

Garth who? Stop deadnaming Chris Gaines, motherfuckers.

giphy.gif

Hell yeah, tell 'em Chris.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah, it's weird. Lots of folks here are citing the fact that they don't live in the US as the reason why, but I live in Korea and occasionally hear his songs (not nearly as often as kpop mind you) in coffee shops. It's pretty common to see his name in noraebang books too.
I lived in Korea the entire 90s and heard his music quite a bit. He was also pretty much the guy Korean people mentioned when they talked to me about American music. Him and Michael Jackson.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Garth Brooks sure does exist.

I lived in Korea the entire 90s and heard his music quite a bit. He was also pretty much the guy Korean people mentioned when they talked to me about American music. Him and Michael Jackson.

God that is depressing.

PillarEN

Lived in the north most of my life. I don't think I've ever heard a single song of his and none of my friends in Europe have ever heard his name. That country music industry in America is dominant in a fairly small market. On a global scale that is. Of course the domestic market is huge compared to most countries.

Lmao

Man, GAF music threads bring out the worst people.

SDCowboy

I never understood his popularity.

Not that hard to figure out. He's music is great.

lol Garth is mainstream and super popular WELL beyond country music fans.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He has a few singles worth remembering, I guess, along with the videos, but no great albums, nothing legendary or that far-reaching in terms of world-wide influences, and he was always kind of corny to be honest, with that Chris Gaines shit popping up to solidify such a fact.

I'm correct, and Garth Brooks ain't shit compared to The Beatles.

(It didn't help I had to hear his music all the time at my house, or at somebody's else. The mom's around here really went overboard with that shit)

I love The Beatles as well. Let's not act like this music didn't reach out to an entirely different class and generation than The Beatles, though. They can co-exist.

As for songs, "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" is absolute money.

SDCowboy

I love The Beatles as well. Let's not act like this music didn't reach out to an entirely different class and generation than The Beatles, though. They can co-exist.

As for songs, "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" is absolute money.

Dude, Much Too Young is my jam. lol

hunchback

they still sell cds? like someplace can actually make 10 million of them? for just one musician? wow.

Wow. Some of these comments. Yes actually they do. Fun fact for you. Metallica own their own cd and vinyl printing companies. I would bet they will surpass the 10 million mark.

I love Garth Brooks. He puts on a heck of a show. Saw him at his Vegas residency. I can remember playing pool, pitcher's of beer and his music on the jukebox in the 90's.

JABEE

The Beatles also existed and were a phenomenon before albums sold like they do now.

The industry didn't change-over to an album-driven business until later in the 1960s/70s.

This is why the Beatles compilations which released in the 70s outsold stuff like Revolver, Help, A Hard Day's Night etc.

Garth Brooks was in the sweet spot of the Album era when everyone was buying CDs. He also happens to be in the one musical genre where people still buy music.

Chris R

Well, I got tickets.

Wasn't planning on doing anything else Monday night while I'm in Nashville really so this at least gives me something to use as an out if need be.

Kaladin

Well, I got tickets.

Wasn't planning on doing anything else Monday night while I'm in Nashville really so this at least gives me something to use as an out if need be.

Nice, it's always awesome to see an artist like this in an intimate setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom