• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman: "it’s not like I’m a fascist or a racist"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have pointed out, Gibson is being shut out by individuals. Members of The Hangover cast demanded Mel not be given the role, unless zach galifianakis is also greenlighting roman polanski's movies then there's no point in saying the 'entertainment industry' is doing anything..

And this is an absolutely PERFECT illustration of the EXACT kind of hypocrisy that Oldman is criticizing.

These same guys have no problem bringing in CONVICTED RAPIST Mike Tyson for not one but both movies, but reject Mel Gibson for the part that the director thought he was "perfect" for. Let's pal around with the rapist (also committed more than one assault and battery), but ew, don't let that awful, awful Mel near us!

And this is an absolutely PERFECT illustration of the EXACT kind of hypocrisy that Oldman is criticizing.

These same guys have no problem bringing in CONVICTED RAPIST Mike Tyson for not one but both movies, but reject Mel Gibson for the part that the director thought he was "perfect" for. Let's pal around with the rapist (also committed more than one assault and battery), but ew, don't let that awful, awful Mel near us!

Tell it to Zach,but he doesn't run Hollywood my dude.

Toxi

Banned
Gary Oldman said:
“We're all f**king hypocrites. That's what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f**king Jew?"
Hey hendersonhank, is the policeman Hollywood?

A_Gorilla

Banned
Anyone else remember that Law and Order episode based on the Gibson DUI where CHEVY CHASE played the Gibson expy?

Funny as hell.

mr. puppy

Banned
The sad thing was Gibson not only already apologized for his actions but he has done great strides in making amends to his mistake, but since this was not advertised people still gladly clung to the notion that he's a garbage trash of a human being:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance/

the sad thing?

look, the guy is in hollywood. if he and his press team can not figure out how to properly market him and his image to a new generation of movie goers thats his own damn fault. he makes stories and spins people into different versions of themselves for a living, and he can either figure out how to do that with his image and what he wants to accomplish or he can live the status quo.

Karkador

Banned
PC kills creativity because you can't offend anyone these days and you have to please everyone. It's also often abused to sue people and businesses over petty little things because some group "might" be offended by the wording on an ad or other things. Plus there's an hierarchy and lobbies. The double standards aka the hypocrisy is what people are talking about, not the act of wanting to have the liberty to call others the n-word in an offensive way.

Who's double standards are we talking about, again?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
the sad thing?

look, the guy is in hollywood. if he and his press team can not figure out how to properly market him and his image to a new generation of movie goers thats his own damn fault. he makes stories and spins people into different versions of themselves for a living, and he can either figure out how to do that with his image and what he wants to accomplish or he can live the status quo.

Yes, the sad thing, because a lot of people are totally accustomed to the idea that a human being is something that can't change or learn from his/her mistakes. It's better to just spot a mistake and hate.

And did you read the article?

Derwind

PC kills creativity because you can't offend anyone these days and you have to please everyone. It's also often abused to sue people and businesses over petty little things because some group "might" be offended by the wording on an ad or other things. Plus there's an hierarchy and lobbies.The double standards aka the hypocrisy is what people are talking about, not the act of wanting to have the liberty to call others the n-word in an offensive way.

Can you elaborate? I'm really trying to understand what your describing. Are there particular outrages or lack thereof that offend you?

Wazzy

Banned
PC kills creativity because you can't offend anyone these days and you have to please everyone. It's also often abused to sue people and businesses over petty little things because some group "might" be offended by the wording on an ad or other things. Plus there's an hierarchy and lobbies.The double standards aka the hypocrisy is what people are talking about, not the act of wanting to have the liberty to call others the n-word in an offensive way.

Okay so do you think people should be able to swear in any situation?

If not, I hate to break it to you but..you're a part of the PC police.

Uh, yes, that's because he is a wanted criminal. That has nothing to do with the hypocrisy of the entertainment industry eagerly financing, distributing, starring in, and awarding the movies of this wanted felon while blackballing someone for saying shitty things in private while drunk.

Why do you keep bringing up the legal problems these people have as though that's relevant? Mel paid the minor legal consequences of what he did and was blackballed; those others have avoided, or paid, the very major legal consequences of their much more serious transgressions, while still enjoying the acclaim of the industry.

You seem to be saying "poor Mel". If that's not your point, my apologies.

If that is your point, the fact that others are still working is immaterial. Gibson burned his bridges with those who could employ him, no different than RDJ did previously or Jonathan Rhys Meyers is dangerously close to doing. That there are those who transgress who have magically survived doesn't mean everyone's actions are just wiped clean.

Maybe Mel should talk to Tyson and see if he can get in the next Todd Phillips film. Alternatively, maybe he should hire new PR people.

Louis C.K. and other comedians seem to be doing just fine.

There's no PC, there's just people who are tired of ignoring racist and sexist shit who can now reach out directly to those involved and their employers.

Who are these double standards aimed at anyways? Is there a specific group?

Yes, the sad thing, because a lot of people are totally accustomed to the idea that a human being is something that can't change or learn from his/her mistakes. It's better to just spot a mistake and hate.

Mel Gibson, a multi-millionaire even in Oldman's rant, is apparently blacklisted. Except... oh wait.

WGaJjz9.png

He didn't go to jail. He's not trapped in his home. He's not being executed. He's not even prevented from being in movies.

Such a pariah.

1sjoMdG.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mel Gibson, a multi-millionaire even in Oldman's rant, is apparently blacklisted. Except... oh wait.

WGaJjz9.png

He didn't go to jail. He's not trapped in his home. He's not being executed. He's not even prevented from being in movies.

Yes, so? You must so blinded by your hate towards him to deny that Hollywood has basically forsaken him and pretty much almost anyone has blacklisted him.

And the feeling I have for him is divorced from his status as a millionaire actor. I can feel sympathetic to a rich or very rich person if I want to. The fact that he is a "multi-millionaire" doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for him as a fellow human being.

Yes, so? You must so blinded by your hate towards him to deny that Hollywood has basically forsaken him and pretty much almost anyone has blacklisted him.

And the feeling I have for him is divorced from his status as a millionaire actor. I can feel sympathetic to a rich or very rich person if I want to. The fact that he is a "multi-millionaire" doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for him as a fellow human being.

If blacklisted means being in a film once a year, I want to blacklisted too. That sounds awesome.

I can feel sympathetic for rich person. Racist? Not as much. My statement was due to this lament that there's some sort of loss on his part. He's fine. I'll save the sadness for a human being who probably needs it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If blacklisted means being in a film once a year, I want to blacklisted too. That sounds awesome.

I can feel sympathetic for rich person. Racist? Not as much. My statement was due to this lament that there's some sort of loss on his part. He's fine. I'll save the sadness for a human being who probably needs it.

Alright, if you say so. I guess to forgive is much harder than to hate, especially if the person doing it is perceived as having a much better life than the one commenting on him/her.

It never ceases to amaze how Jodie Foster of all people could defend Gibson and cast him in one of her films. You'd think that she of all people would know how dangerous and violent men like Mel could be...

Give me a break. The dude is a stupid drunk that said some disgusting things over the goddamn phone. Meanwhile, hollywood funds child rapists like Polanski while a stuipid drunk who as far as my knowledge never HARMED anyone physically and even apologized to those he offended privately, without the press evne knowing is a fucking outcast.

The sad thing was Gibson not only already apologized for his actions but he has done great strides in making amends to his mistake, but since this was not advertised people still gladly clung to the notion that he's a garbage trash of a human being:

Everyone should really read the deadline article. It does a great job at clearing up some misinformation that has been circulated regarding Gibson. Not supporting anything that he said and did but it does seem like he has tried to make amends, albeit in private.

Give me a break. The dude is a stupid drunk that said some disgusting things over the goddamn phone. Meanwhile, hollywood funds child rapists like Polanski while a stuipid drunk who as far as my knowledge never HARMED anyone physically and even apologized to those he offended privately, without the press evne knowing is a fucking outcast.

Forgiving Gibson because there are worse people around is silly. You can detest both men ya know. I think it's gross that Roman is supported by so many people, but again there isn't one guy making every decision in the film industry. Some folks are still giving Mel work.

Sad? Nah. He never even apologized for his 'nigger' and 'wetback' comments. In the article when asked why he didn't ever publically apologize he said whenever he talks it seems to make matters worse. Alright guy, do you, but I don't feel sorry for you.

Clevinger

"Have no problem." How do you know? I know that The Hangover made Galifianakis a star, and as soon as he got actual pull and power in the industry he used it against a piece of shit like Gibson.

He was just an alt comic with a small fanbase before that first movie was a hit. Him being like, "Uh, sorry, but I'm not working with Mike Tyson!" wouldn't have done shit. He'd be fired and some other comic actor who didn't give a shit would be hired.

royalan

Ok, so then what the hell are you mad at? It's been demonstrated that Mel has not been "forsaken" or "ostracized from the community." He still makes movies.

You seem to be upset that Mel Gibson's career was effected at all, and that's bullshit. You're basically implying that celebrities should be able to do and say whatever they want, no matter who it offends, without consequences. Well, the world just doesn't work that way. Never has and never will, and it has nothing to do with the workings of an imaginary "PC Police". Mel Gibson said some pretty offensive shit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok, so then what the hell are you mad at? It's been demonstrated that Mel has not been "forsaken" or "ostracized from the community." He still makes movies.

You seem to be upset that Mel Gibson's career was effected at all, and that's bullshit. You're basically implying that celebrities should be able to do and say whatever they want, no matter who it offends, without consequences. Well, the world just doesn't work that way. Never has and never will, and it has nothing to do with the workings of an imaginary "PC Police". Mel Gibson said some pretty offensive shit.

First of all: I am not mad, and I believe the tone of my posts did not even insinuate that I was mad.

Second of all: to the bolded above, what the bloody hell are you talking about? Don't put words in my mouth.

I was just saying that he has made great strides to make amends towards his behavior and his mistakes, and I am just sympathetic towards that.

Double standards for sure, like how Matthew Broderick kept getting work after killing a person and only getting fined $175 for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Broderick#Fatal_car_accident

What a joke

Matthew Broderick's accident is not comparable in the slightest to Mel Gibson's spewing of hateful speech, abusing his partner, and not being repentant of it. If your point is that celebrities get advantages in life, then fine, sure, whatever, but it's not pertinent to the discussion and is not indicative of a double-standard in terms of celebrities committing offences.

First of all: I am not mad, and I believe the tone of my posts did not even insinuate that I was mad.

Second of all: to the bolded above, what the bloody hell are you talking about? Don't put words in my mouth.

I was just saying that he has made great strides to make amends towards his behavior and his mistakes, and I am just sympathetic towards that.

He literally apologized for just one incident(his rant against jewish people) while saying speaking about it any of it at all anymore would only make matters worse.

gaf is politically correct...all the time...like literally all the time, especially in the off topic forum. If you're not politically correct you will more than likely get banned.

I guess that's why I'm here! I like to be politically correct.

Enzom21

So he apologized for the nigger and wetback comments? How many chances should Gibson get? He apologized for his 2006 antisemitic comments, then did it again, then he beat his girlfriend and said things like:
"You look like a fucking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of niggers, it will be your fault."
"I will report her to the fucking people that take fucking money from the wetbacks."

What apologies and amends did he make for those?

How many of these incidence will take for you to stop defending a racist and antisemite?

Edit: Let's not forget about him calling Winona Ryder an "oven dodger" in the 90s.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/winona-ryder-mel-gibson-called-oven-dodger/story?id=12421852

So he didn't beat his girlfriend?

Lizardus

Matthew Broderick's accident is not comparable in the slightest to Mel Gibson's spewing of hateful speech, abusing his partner, and not being repentant of it. If your point is that celebrities get advantages in life, then fine, sure, whatever, but it's not pertinent to the discussion and is not indicative of a double-standard in terms of celebrities committing offences.

You are right, what Matthew Broderick did is worse.

My main point is the hypocrisy and double standards in Hollywood. I don't want to make any comments about double standards in rest of the world.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He literally apologized for just one incident(his rant against jewish people) while saying speaking about it any of it at all anymore would only make matters worse.

So he apologized for the nigger and wetback comments? How many chances should Gibson get? He apologized for his 2006 antisemitic comments, then did it again, then he beat his girlfriend and said things like:
"You look like a fucking pig in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of niggers, it will be your fault."
"I will report her to the fucking people that take fucking money from the wetbacks."

What apologies and amends did he make for those?

How many of these incidence will take for you to stop defending a racist and antisemite?

Well, the article I linked above stated occurrences and observations about him that strikes me as being genuine, and in that in private he has shown remorse in stuff that he said/did and took steps to amend the damage, which I can say something more than many people would do.

But hey! Maybe that article was something whipped by his PR team, maybe, I dunno.

Someone who was genuinely anti-semitic wouldn't, for example, do something like this:

This crystallized when we met each other’s families. It was hard to blame his family for being skeptical of a journalist, but the issues with my own family were more challenging. Gibson asked to meet them at my son’s bar mitzvah celebration. Imagine the scene: A room filled with Jews. In walks the person who, in their minds, might be the most notorious anti-Semite in America. Gibson attended alone and I can only imagine what was going through his head when he walked into the party.

But maybe it was all just a lie *Shrugs*

Wazzy

Banned

My main point is the hypocrisy and double standards in Hollywood. I don't want to make any comments about double standards in rest of the world.
Please tell me how what he did is worse.

Toxi

Banned
I'm still wondering why everyone's going on about the double standards of hollywood when Gary Oldman was claiming everyone.gif was a closet racist.

Enzom21

Well, the article I linked above stated occurrences and observations about him that strikes me as being genuine, and in that in private he has shown remorse in stuff that he said/did and took steps to amend the damage, which I can say something more than many people would do.

But hey! Maybe that article was something whipped by his PR team, maybe, I dunno.

He's been doing this shit since the 90s... but hey as long as there is a nice article written about him, his nigger and wetback comments don't matter right?

The hypocrisy argument is always a dud. I think there's a case to be made in the broad sense that nobody's perfect, and that many of us have done things that we'd rather not have be the defining moments of our lives. But at the same time I feel like the public is fickle, and celebrities can benefit from this just as easily as they are punished for it. Years ago, he was an acclaimed actor/director. With the right role or the right film, he could be yet another tale of redemption.

I don't know if I'd say he "deserves" a second chance. But then again, I'm really not the type of person that ties the person to their craft either. I think it's possible to like someone's body of work but think little of them as a person, or vice versa. However, let's also not pretend that Hollywood is strictly a meritocracy. Obviously, perception can be just as -- if not more -- important than talent.

All in all, it's kind of difficult to explain my stance. I can kind of see where someone like Oldman is coming from, but I think such a stance is inarticulate at best and perhaps revealing of his own dubious character at worst. I'm not sure where I settle because overall, I'm not that invested. I'm not suddenly going to start hating Oldman. I don't hate Gibson for that matter. But I'm also not going to view the latter as a tragic tale deserving of redemption.

I'm still wondering why everyone's going on about the double standards of hollywood when Gary Oldman was claiming everyone.gif was a closet racist.

Haha, true. It's like, "Sorry Gary, we haven't all said those things. Those are the things that racists say."

Edit: Haha, I love when people run away from threads. :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So Winona Ryder was lying? You seem to think what he said was A-OK simply because he went to a fucking bar mitzvah.

It feels like I am dangerously close to being labeled as an anti-semitic racism supporter myself in here, and since me voicing my thoughts about the man clearly make some of you upset--terribly so, it would seem, then I guess the proper course for me right now is to just bail out.

I apologize for anyone feeling upset about my thoughts. Cheerio.

Somehow a freak accident should equal permanent damnation and ostracism? Uh, okay.

Addressing your main point: Hollywood isn't some sort of conglomerate. Mel Gibson pissed off a certain demographic and ruined his own career. The reason guys like Polanski get praise and petitions signed in their names is because he still has friends in the business who are blinded by their adoration of him to realize he's a rapist. When has there ever been a consensus when someone who is guilty is viewed as innocent in "Hollywood"'s eyes?

Anyway, Oldman and anyone making any similar arguments have no point; you can't just say "so and so was wrongly persecuted by a bunch of two-faced hypocrites", when the hypocrites are an imagined "lynch mob", who turn out to be separate people with personal grievances. The only cause for such outbursts should be when terrible people in the business get off scott-free for their crimes, not how some actor's terrible actions should somehow be compared to other non-related happenings and thus deemed undeserving of such judgement and condemnation.

Edit: As a personal aside, I just don't see how it's relevant to bring up other cases and compare them. The way people are viewed is not static. Social acceptance is dynamic and always evolving, with people being judged more harshly recently because attitudes have changed with a liberal swing. Personally, I don't give a damn about Hollywood and its people, but pretending that there has been a miscarriage of justice on the way the world views these public figures is ludicrous and offensive when it involves a person unapologetically committing terrible actions or statements. Excusing this behavior on basis of prior incidences of similar people not getting lambasted is fallacious and ultimately ignores the true problem of it somehow being acceptable to be able to act out in such ways in a modern society.

Enzom21

It feels like I am dangerously close to being labeled as an anti-semitic racism supporter myself in here, and since me voicing my thoughts about the man clearly make some of you upset--terribly so, it would seem, then I guess the proper course for me right now is to just bail out.

You're defending Mel Gibson with something that is tantamount to "some of my best friends are black." Gibson going to a bar mitzvah somehow erases 20 years of antisemitism?

Let's not forget the nigger and wetback comments. Mel Gibson is most certainly a racist and an antisemite and going to a bar mitzvah is not going to change that.

If you come back, you realize that there is more wrong with Mel than just being an anti-semite, right? That whole article only mentions how he's doing/being better with regards to his comments about jews. I guess it makes sense because the author is jewish, but there are other issues there.

The hypocrisy argument is always a dud. I think there's a case to be made in the broad sense that nobody's perfect, and that many of us have done things that we'd rather not have be the defining moments of our lives. But at the same time I feel like the public is fickle, and celebrities can benefit from this just as easily as they are punished for it. Years ago, he was an acclaimed actor/director. With the right role or the right film, he could be yet another tale of redemption.

I don't know if I'd say he "deserves" a second chance. But then again, I'm really not the type of person that ties the person to their craft either. I think it's possible to like someone's body of work but think little of them as a person, or vice versa. However, let's also not pretend that Hollywood is strictly a meritocracy. Obviously, perception can be just as -- if not more -- important than talent.

All in all, it's kind of difficult to explain my stance. I can kind of see where someone like Oldman is coming from, but I think such a stance is inarticulate at best and perhaps revealing of his own dubious character at worst. I'm not sure where I settle because overall, I'm not that invested. I'm not suddenly going to start hating Oldman. I don't hate Gibson for that matter. But I'm also not going to view the latter as a tragic tale deserving of redemption.

Pretty much. Gibson doesn't factor much in my thoughts. What does is the defense of his actions as misunderstood. It's the same stuff we hear over and over again. "He said a racist thing, but he's not racist!" "He has *insert minority* friends."

Nah, we're done that shit. You say racist shit, you get called out on it. Then you apologize or you stand your ground and the cards fall as they may.

Gibson isn't a pariah, he's still making movies, and he's not some tragic figure by anything but his own doing.

Banana, you're not an anti-semite, but I do wonder about your decision to make Gibson, especially with his long history of comments and actions, the guy you want us to step up and say "he got a bum deal."

Measley

The most amusing thing about the Mel Gibson story is how right the South Park guys got his persona way before he lost his shit in public.

tumblr_lqifctOP6t1qeglz0o1_500.gif

Replicant

I have to say, Gary Oldman's response, as well as others in this thread, are in themselves perfect examples of why bigotry shouldn't be tolerated. To be quite honest, I am not so much frequently alarmed by those who say shitty things as those who would defend them, because they are the ones who perpetuate such behavior.

An oft-brought up argument is that others have thought or said similar things at least once in their lives. Two problems there: 1) false equivalency: I have never so much thought or said something so hateful that, say for example, Mel Gibson had said, ever, and 2) even if I had, it doesn't mean I would be denied of the ability to criticize him for it.

Moreover, these excuses come off as egocentric, cowardly, and lazy. Instead of coming to terms with the very idea that you are the problem, it's suddenly the fault of others for being too sensitive. Your defense of random shithead with a dumbass opinion would somehow, by proxy, justify your right to indulge in it, and absolve yourself of all responsibility to cultivate your thoughts and actions to become more tolerant.

A+++. This is why when people say things like "You're too sensitive" coupled with "I'm not a bigot, I have [insert race/sexual preference] friends and they never make a big deal out of me saying [insert bigoted word]", my BS alarm goes off. If you really do have a minority friend, then you would give a damn about them as individual and put more thoughts into using words that are not going to make them feel excluded or unwelcome. Speaking as minority, of course I don't usually make a big deal when a friend said these hurtful things, hoping they'll grow up and realize their mistake. But does it hurt? Yes, it does. And if they keep doing this then I'd eventually stay away from them because I'm not really sure if they even like me as a friend in the first place when they freely throw around words that they know have the potential to hurt someone.

Wazzy

Banned
I saw Devo was banned and I wanted to point out that this post:

Shut the fuck up asshole.

Obviously went over peoples heads because it wasn't mean to be a literal attack on the poster.

It's calling out the post she quoted that was claiming everything is PC these days. If he's going to say that then should she not be able to respond with "shut the fuck up asshole" without any consequences?

someday

Banned
I saw Devo was banned and I wanted to point out that this post:

Obviously went over peoples heads because it wasn't mean to be a literal attack on the poster.

It's calling out the post she quoted that was claiming everything is PC these days. If he's going to say that then should she not be able to respond with "shut the fuck up asshole" without any consequences?
Exactly. You'd think the anti-PC crowd would be shouting out for her rights but they've gone silent. Weird. I guess she should have called him a Jewish asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom