• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Just encountered my first GBA game with a save battery. I've replaced it of course but it just feels weird... like why do only a select number of GBA games have this? Even in the early 2000s I have to imagine SRAM was more expensive than NAND.

It was Hoshi no Kirby Deluxe, the Japanese Nightmare in Dreamland.

Just encountered my first GBA game with a save battery. I've replaced it of course but it just feels weird... like why do only a select number of GBA games have this? Even in the early 2000s I have to imagine SRAM was more expensive than NAND.

It was Hoshi no Kirby Deluxe, the Japanese Nightmare in Dreamland.

Are you sure it was a true save battery and not just used for keeping time? That's really bizarre if so. I have no idea why they'd use that. Perhaps it was released very early into the GBA's life span so they were still learning how to do things?

true Gek

Hi guys! I've just bought a blue Game Boy Micro in perfect conditions with six games from eBay. No boxes but I had them for 50€.

The games are not so good except for Castlevania Double Pack that in eBay costs around 30/40€. Here the complete list:

Castlevania Double Pack
Prince of Persia + Tomb Raider
Tekken Advance
Counter Punch
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Drome Racers

Sono I will post a photo of the new little guy!

Are you sure it was a true save battery and not just used for keeping time? That's really bizarre if so. I have no idea why they'd use that. Perhaps it was released very early into the GBA's life span so they were still learning how to do things?

Yeah it's a save battery. There's no clock on the board.

Hi guys! I've just bought a blue Game Boy Micro in perfect conditions with six games from eBay. No boxes but I had them for 50€.

The games are not so good except for Castlevania Double Pack that in eBay costs a round 30/40€. Here the complete list:

Castlevania Double Pack
Prince of Persia + Tomb Raider
Tekken Advance
Counter Punch
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Drome Racers

Sono I will post a photo of the new little guy!

Nice! The blue micro is amazing.

Yeah it's a save battery. There's no clock on the board.

...So strange.

true Gek

Nice! The blue micro is amazing.

...So strange.
Yes It's very beautiful!

I also bought other games:

Mario Advance 1 & 2
Mario Kart
Fire Emblem
Wario Ware
GTA
(Other 3 games that I don't remember)

Alla for 27€

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Rayman Advance

For 11€

Street Fighter Alpha 3 for 11€

Metroid Zero Mission for 21€ (yes a lot but I'm a metroid fan and I've lost my original game)

Ok I got this in a bit ago but it's been pretty busy and I was playing rather then posting pics :)

gbamod_zps89c51385.jpg

Much love and hugs to peagles for putting this together for me, I love it as much as she did putting it together ^_^

This completes my current hunt for GBA hardware, I have an OG, both sp versions, a micro and now my OG modded. I have some stuff left like faceplates and some variants but I'm pretty happy with this set up now, I use the OG mod for most of my play and load up the micro when I leave the house(love that size).

If anyone is sitting on the fence for a modded OG while a bit pricey it's worth every cent imo and it's nice to not have to worry about where the batteries are coming from in the years to come(<3 eneloops)
Nice. I believe I'm still on the list. I'm eager to get one. Enjoy!

Ok I got this in a bit ago but it's been pretty busy and I was playing rather then posting pics :)

gbamod_zps89c51385.jpg

Much love and hugs to peagles for putting this together for me, I love it as much as she did putting it together ^_^

This completes my current hunt for GBA hardware, I have an OG, both sp versions, a micro and now my OG modded. I have some stuff left like faceplates and some variants but I'm pretty happy with this set up now, I use the OG mod for most of my play and load up the micro when I leave the house(love that size).

If anyone is sitting on the fence for a modded OG while a bit pricey it's worth every cent imo and it's nice to not have to worry about where the batteries are coming from in the years to come(<3 eneloops)

This. Having a backlight modded AGB 001 virtually future proofs your GBA collection, no more worries about batteries and you get form factor along with a beautiful backlit screen. Nice unit, I too own one of Peagle's amazing multi-brrightness AGB mods and it's the crown jewel of my portable collection. Currently playing a mix of Yoshi's Island, Gradius Galaxies and Zelda NES on it and it's bliss.

Fireblend

Banned

gbamod_zps89c51385.jpg

I don't need one, I don't need one, I don't need one... I... I don't...

Beautiful unit Gunsmithx :)

Paskil

I'm trying to find the plastic DS cases that have the GBA slot to store my growing collection. I'm not planning on blowing money on tracking down the original box so was just going to print my own covers.

The only problem is that I've heard it can be a crap shoot buying the DS cases since the newer ones didn't have the GBA game slot anyone have any websites or sources where you can make sure I'm getting the correct cases?

I'm trying to find the plastic DS cases that have the GBA slot to store my growing collection. I'm not planning on blowing money on tracking down the original box so was just going to print my own covers.

The only problem is that I've heard it can be a crap shoot buying the DS cases since the newer ones didn't have the GBA game slot anyone have any websites or sources where you can make sure I'm getting the correct cases?

i got a set on ebay for lik 8 bucks a while back. i searched specifically for gba ds cases. also http://www.customgamecases.com/ has ds sized cases made for gameboy games

RCG stock finally went up. Got a faceplate for 18 + 4$ shipping to florida. There are also some gameboys and such.
Regardless, you could just buy them from Alibaba for a fraction of the price.
Whoooaaa

I have to pick up some faceplates! I didn't know there were places to buy them. I don't remember that being an option a year or two ago. I'd like to replace the flame faceplate on my everyday micro.

Been playing Guru Logic Champ a lot the last week. I will beat all the puzzles in this game one day (up to 130-something I think).
Is Ninja Five-O worth it in the least bit?
And crazy question, but do people sell repros for less than $90?
I got really lucky with Ninja Five-O. Was expensive online but $5 at Gamestop..... across the state. A nice employee got it sent to my nearby store though.

The game itself was alright. Don't think its worth the asking price. Played it through a few times but I ended up selling it earlier this year (for a lot more than $5). Despite not LOVING it I kinda regret selling it, if only for the sake of collection. I sold most of my port collection as well (GBA versions of NES games, Zelda ALTTP, and the Super Mario Advance series).

My favorite GBA games are the imports though. Guru Logic Champ, Rhythm Tengoku, and the Kururin games. All fantastic.

Whoooaaa

I have to pick up some faceplates! I didn't know there were places to buy them. I don't remember that being an option a year or two ago. I'd like to replace the flame faceplate on my everyday micro.

Been playing Guru Logic Champ a lot the last week. I will beat all the puzzles in this game one day (up to 130-something I think).

I think most agree they're not quite as nice as the first party ones, but they get the job done. I really want some sort of glass faceplate, but unless I somehow commission one, that'll never happen.

I think most agree they're not quite as nice as the first party ones, but they get the job done. I really want some sort of glass faceplate, but unless I somehow commission one, that'll never happen.
Glass would be amazing.

I was just looking at original model GBAs with backlights on eBay and wondering if I could alter a tempered glass phone cover to fit on one. I'd really love to own one. I love my micros but the original GBA was the most comfortable.

Glass would be amazing.

I was just looking at original model GBAs with backlights on eBay and wondering if I could alter a tempered glass phone cover to fit on one. I'd really love to own one. I love my micros but the original GBA was the most comfortable.

Yeah, it'll be interesting. Shame you can't just 3D print glass lol. I figure at some point some creative engineer will come up with a solution for these things, but it'll be awhile. I wish I had the expertise for such things, but no such luck.

On another note: What do you folks recommend as far as great GB/GBC games that no one's heard of? The gameboy has a surprising amount of games that you would never expect on the system (Warlocked is an RTS, for example), and I'm thinking I'm going to throw some more money at my collection.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got a few new GB/GBC games today. I also bought Power Quest and Quest: Brian's Journey off eBay. I also have been hunting, but it looks like getting the GB Mega man games is going to be a LOT harder than I thought...

E: Also, my current collection:

true Gek

Bought today F-Zero GP Legend boxed and in good condition for 5€!!!
I didn't know that it was published in Europe!

Some games to suggest?

maxcriden

Bought today F-Zero GP Legend boxed and in good condition for 5€!!!
I didn't know that it was published in Europe!

Some games to suggest?

Just finished Mario vs. DK the other day and that was pretty rad, and packed with content (I still have tons to do in it, actually). Its predecessor DK '94 is superb, too.

I just played through Link to the Past on GBA for the first time and I'm kinda surprised that this is a totally legit version of LttP. I put it off for years as just being a worse port, but aside from the music being a bit worse, I really prefer it to trying to emulate the SNES game on any handheld. This way you have a solid framerate, no input latency, no emulation bugs -- just LttP in a much more convenient package.

I just played through Link to the Past on GBA for the first time and I'm kinda surprised that this is a totally legit version of LttP. I put it off for years as just being a worse port, but aside from the music being a bit worse, I really prefer it to trying to emulate the SNES game on any handheld. This way you have a solid framerate, no input latency, no emulation bugs -- just LttP in a much more convenient package.

This is the only way I've played all the way through the game. I've beaten it 2-3 times on my gameboy, but onyl got about 70% through on the snes version.

daydream

Banned

Don't forget it included Four Swords!

I'll never get to experience Four Swords properly in my life, lol.

Do you know a place in where I can find some faceplates fpr GBMicro? Amazon and eBay are not useful.

For a decent price? not really. You can get them off alibaba or similar sites. You can occasionally get those same ones on eBay or RCG for a (significant) mark up. Keep in mind the ones I'm referring to are third party, and not as nice as the originals. But they get the job done.

true Gek

For a decent price? not really. You can get them off alibaba or similar sites. You can occasionally get those same ones on eBay or RCG for a (significant) mark up. Keep in mind the ones I'm referring to are third party, and not as nice as the originals. But they get the job done.

Hmm ok, I will give it a try.

Another questione: replacement battery.

I've found one at 7 € from Cameron Sino and one from Akku King for 15€. Someone knows if they are a good choice?

Hmm ok, I will give it a try.

Another questione: replacement battery.

I've found one at 7 € from Cameron Sino and one from Akku King for 15€. Someone knows if they are a good choice?

I expect most of the ones you find that are marketed as GBM batteries will be pretty comparable. I'd just do a personal analysis and find the best balanced between positive reviews and price.

Doesn't Link make his Wind Waker/child voice every time he slashes his sword or does something in the game? Not disagreeing whether or not it's a good port as I don't own the GBA LttP cart but that's what I heard. Are the voice effects not as annoying as people say?

Doesn't Link make his Wind Waker/child voice every time he slashes his sword or does something in the game? Not disagreeing whether or not it's a good port as I don't own the GBA LttP cart but that's what I heard. Are the voice effects not as annoying as people say?

I can only really see them being that annoying if you constantly mash. If you're pretty efficient in your use of the sword, it'll be a boon I think.

Grizzo

I can only really see them being that annoying if you constantly mash. If you're pretty efficient in your use of the sword, it'll be a boon I think.

Never bothered me when I first played it as a kid.

But then I read that most people complaining about those voice sound clips and I started noticing it every time I would use my sword. And then shortly after that, I got suck up into the game and forgot all about them once again.

I remember reading about it years ago in a Polish video games magazine!
How is it?

I'm still on a "find as much complete GB games as possible' journey, so here's an update to my collection:

At last I found a not priced over the moon Fire Emblem! And I'm really happy with the two GBC games, which are quite hard to find in this condition.

Buying only Complete In Box games in PAL regions is so damn expensive. I gave up on that dream a long time ago. Only buy loose for GB/GBA/SNES and N64 games. Always CIB for GameCube though (for obvious reasons, the miniDVD being way more fragile)

I admire your devotion though! Nice pickups of very good games!

^^^^

Ok cool, I kind of figured people might be overreacting a bit on that. I'll probably get it then as LttP is the only SNES GBA port I never played.

Ordered all the crap I need for frontlighting my GBC (with loca). Hoping everything goes smoothly. Also got a few replacement batteries.

I want a new case and buttons for it as well. Is there an accepted "best" brand for those?

**Also, which GB/GBC Megaman games are good? the small screen size seems to gimp many of them.

Rich!

IMG_20141118_203004.jpg

Got my GB BOY, perfect for carrying it without caring too much for possible damage.

Heres a tip: the crappy dpad is interchangeable with an official Game Boy Color dpad.

Buy a replacement dpad for the GBC from ebay and swap them over. It works just as well as the real thing then.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really need to buy an SP headphone adapter. Also, I hate stickers. My copy of R-Type DX had a bad sticker on the front. My label is nearly gone. :(

true Gek

I expect most of the ones you find that are marketed as GBM batteries will be pretty comparable. I'd just do a personal analysis and find the best balanced between positive reviews and price.

Only another question: can you post this RCG shop?I don't find it with that name.

Why is everyone so excited over RCG exactly? Reproduction items are never up to standard if you ask me. The repro backlit displays may look nice but the ultimately flawed alongside a real AGS-101 display too.

Only another question: can you post this RCG shop?I don't find it with that name.

http://rosecoloredgaming.com/

Why is everyone so excited over RCG exactly? Reproduction items are never up to standard if you ask me. The repro backlit displays may look nice but the ultimately flawed alongside a real AGS-101 display too.

It's just that it's one of the few US-based shops for these things. Unless you go Ebay, there isn't really an alternative if you don't want to buy in bulk/ship from god knows where.

v1perz53

I really need to buy an SP headphone adapter. Also, I hate stickers. My copy of R-Type DX had a bad sticker on the front. My label is nearly gone. :(

I got a headphone adapter for my SP and I hate it. Not the fault of the adapter, and I didn't really think about this beforehand, but the space it occupies means that I cannot hold the SP comfortably anymore (I generally like to hit R and L with my PIP joints, the 2nd joint from your finger tip). Pretty annoying, as I can't in good conscience make my girlfriend listen to GBA music on full blast all the time (we live in a studio), but using headphones is uncomfortable. Damn you nintendo for not including a headphone port on the SP.

Peltz

I got a headphone adapter for my SP and I hate it. Not the fault of the adapter, and I didn't really think about this beforehand, but the space it occupies means that I cannot hold the SP comfortably anymore (I generally like to hit R and L with my PIP joints, the 2nd joint from your finger tip). Pretty annoying, as I can't in good conscience make my girlfriend listen to GBA music on full blast all the time (we live in a studio), but using headphones is uncomfortable. Damn you nintendo for not including a headphone port on the SP.

Grab a DS Light? They only go for like $30 these days. I also find it more comfy than the SP.

v1perz53

Grab a DS Light? They only go for like $30 these days. I also find it more comfy than the SP.

My library of games I use my SP for is actually mostly GB/GBC games, so DS family doesn't work for me, or this would be a great option. SP is my favorite form factor that can play GB/GBC/GBA games and is backlit that I can also afford, but that headphone adapter is so uncomfortably placed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My library of games I use my SP for is actually mostly GB/GBC games, so DS family doesn't work for me, or this would be a great option. SP is my favorite form factor that can play GB/GBC/GBA games and is backlit that I can also afford, but that headphone adapter is so uncomfortably placed.

Yeah, this is my situation. I'm now considering an OG GBA and back lighting it myself...

The cheap 3rd party knock offs should work just fine. There are audio pins on that SP jack -- there's no processing involved here.

hitgirl

Heres a tip: the crappy dpad is interchangeable with an official Game Boy Color dpad.

Buy a replacement dpad for the GBC from ebay and swap them over. It works just as well as the real thing then.

Whoa cool! My GB Boy Colour has a dead pixel. I might just buy another and put this one on top of my toilet with mario in it. That would be pretty rad to have that all the time.

Top Bottom