• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

televator

what is this, a game boy for ants?

I remember back in the day, one of my younger friends thought his micro was the bees knees and he let everyone know about that... I just shook my head at him barely holding the damned thing in an uncomfortable form like 2 inches from his face. In fact thats what drove me to just give up on tiny screens wherever possible and so I went and got the GBP.

true Gek

Ok just bought an Advance SP in good condition for 25€ and I'm going to buy another Micro (silver) for 40€. I'd like to collect the Advance series, I love this portable console :p

Oh any suggestion about some games to buy?

Ok just bought an Advance SP in good condition for 25€ and I'm going to buy another Micro (silver) for 40€. I'd like to collect the Advance series, I love this portable console :p

Oh any suggestion about some games to buy?

Advance wars, mother 3 if you speak japanese, pokemans, metroid, FF, whatever is in the OP.

true Gek

Advance wars, mother 3 if you speak japanese, pokemans, metroid, FF, whatever is in the OP.
How are the Megaman Zero and battle network series? I've also spotted on Amazom a Banjo game and Jet Grind Radio, are they good games? On gamerankings they are around the 75%.

Fireblend

Banned
How are the Megaman Zero and battle network series? I've also spotted on Amazom a Banjo game and Jet Grind Radio, are they good games? On gamerankings they are around the 75%.

The Zero games are all great, but you might want to grab the collection that was released for DS. The battle network games are brilliant, specially the first three. I think you can get the third one and not be too lost with the story. Or at least that's what I did and I ended up loving it.

I'll recommend Minish Cap, the Advance Wars games, Kururin Paradise and Rhythm Tengoku if you don't mind the japanese menus, the Klonoa games which are neat puzzle platformers and the Metroid games. Both are outstanding.

Man, the GBA had a great run.

Edit: almost forgot Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Still my favorite HM game ever.

prateeko

Although development stuck around for a few years after the DS, it is remarkable how much came out for the GBA in what little time it had alone as Nintendo's main handheld

true Gek

The Zero games are all great, but you might want to grab the collection that was released for DS. The battle network games are brilliant, specially the first three. I think you can get the third one and not be too lost with the story. Or at least that's what I did and I ended up loving it.

I'll recommend Minish Cap, the Advance Wars games, Kururin Paradise and Rhythm Tengoku if you don't mind the japanese menus, the Klonoa games which are neat puzzle platformers and the Metroid games. Both are outstanding.

Man, the GBA had a great run.

Edit: almost forgot Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. Still my favorite HM game ever.

thank you for the advices! I will search on Amazon and eBay for this games, I hope to find them at a good price.

Frontlighting my GBC w/ Loca today. Any tips?

**Got my faceplate, buttons, and frontlight today, as well as some replacement batteries.

D.Lo

Just finished the Castlevania Adventure. One of my favourites despite the bad rep. Clunky controls and slowdown, but amazing graphics and music for a 1989 Game Boy game, interesting and varied level design, just a fun little package.

On my bivetred backlit DMG:
ILmYhok.jpg

Next up on my Konami binge, Bad n Rad...

Mzo

Just finished the Castlevania Adventure. One of my favourites despite the bad rep. Clunky controls and slowdown, but amazing graphics and music for a 1989 Game Boy game, interesting and varied level design, just a fun little package.

I agree with this. It gets shit on a lot but is decent when taken on its own merits and played by someone who isn't terrible.

Peltz

Is it worth importing the last F-Zero Climax? I was playing GP Legend this morning and realized that it's really well made even though it didn't give off the best first impression.

How import-friendly is Climax for someone who knows no Japanese? Are there any region lockouts if I try to play the game on a DS Lite? (I assume the answer is "no").

TheMoon

Is it worth importing the last F-Zero Climax? I was playing GP Legend this morning and realized that it's really well made even though it didn't give off the best first impression.

How import-friendly is Climax for someone who knows no Japanese? Are there any region lockouts if I try to play the game on a DS Lite? (I assume the answer is "no").

Zero Nintendo handhelds/games were region locked until the DSi existed.

true Gek

Cool. How about the quality of F-Zero Climax? Is it decent? Reviews don't seem favorable, but I'm interested in Gaffers' opinions.
There's a third f-zero game forma GBA? Wow *__* I've just discovered GP Legend and it's a very good game even if the reviews are not incredibl Now I'd like to try this Climax :D

Started playing my new [to me] copy of Dragon Warrior 3. It's pretty awesome. Looks pretty spactacular as far as GBC games go. In-battle animations are top tier.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Derp, I just donated all my GBA and old DS games. If anyone wants to look in SF Goodwills in the next few weeks, there's:

Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball Advance
FF 1&2
Mario v Donkey Kong
Zelda: Four Swords
FireRed
Sapphire
Some other games.

Feel bad, as I just stumbled on this thread.

Derp, I just donated all my GBA and old DS games. If anyone wants to look in SF Goodwills in the next few weeks, there's:

Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball Advance
FF 1&2
Mario v Donkey Kong
FireRed
Sapphire
Some other games.

O_O what...have...you...done...

cafemomo

Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball Advance
FF 1&2
Mario v Donkey Kong
FireRed
Sapphire
Some other games.

whhhhyyyy

Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball Advance
FF 1&2
Mario v Donkey Kong
FireRed
Sapphire
Some other games.

you monster

Grief.exe

Started playing my new [to me] copy of Dragon Warrior 3. It's pretty awesome. Looks pretty spactacular as far as GBC games go. In-battle animations are top tier.

That one is supposed to be very good, I have always wanted to get into the Dranfon Warrior/Quest series.

Phantasy Star Collection
Pokemon Pinball Advance
FF 1&2
Mario v Donkey Kong
FireRed
Sapphire
Some other games.

GAF would have loved to compensate you for those games!

That one is supposed to be very good, I have always wanted to get into the Dranfon Warrior/Quest series.

Based on ~4 hours of fucking around. I'd say I recommend it pretty strongly if you're interested in old JRPGs. Also very reasonably priced. Got my copy for 18 USD or so?

Grabbed an AGS-101 on eBay recently. Not sealed, but new in box, pristine, and the color I was looking for. Super fortunate. The seller was awesome too; apparently they bought it as a potential gift a decade or so ago and never actually ended up giving it to anyone.

Now I just need more games. Time to comb through this thread for some ideas.

Huh, guess I didn't look around enough. In my recent searching, new/CIB AGS-101s were few and far between and I really wanted one in graphite, so I jumped on it. Don't really regret it; such an awesome system.

Olly88

Are there any ways to spot an AGS-101 without looking at the model number on the back? Just wondering as on eBay most of the time people selling them don't take pictures of the back, so unless the model number is specified it's impossible to tell.

Huh, guess I didn't look around enough. In my recent searching, new/CIB AGS-101s were few and far between and I really wanted one in graphite, so I jumped on it. Don't really regret it; such an awesome system.

It's possible that price is actually pretty reasonable now, since the stock of spare AGS101 screens for backlit GBAs has dried up.

Are there any ways to spot an AGS-101 without looking at the model number on the back? Just wondering as on eBay most of the time people selling them don't take pictures of the back, so unless the model number is specified it's impossible to tell.

Color patterns, brighter screen.

Top Bottom