• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Okay. I've decided the frontlight kits from Kitsch bent just are not good. I just cannot get the light to actually illuminate the screen. It's like a translucent layer of light that doesn't actually illuminate the screen at all. Pretty bummed.

Mzo

So what's the best way to go about selling off a reasonably large (40+) collection of GB/GBC/GBA games? I have decided that, while it was fun hunting, collecting, and playing a bunch of these games...I just don't have much desire to keep all of them around.

Sell off any valuable games individually (here to be nice, or on NintendoAge or eBay to make money) then group up the chaff and sell it as a bundle.

Peagles

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on a problem I'm having with my Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance cart.

I bought it from an indie shop (and unfortunately didn't test it out until a month after I bought it) and the game is not saving data. After playing and using the save room, if you power off and turn it back on, nothing was saved.

I figured the battery had run dry so I cracked open the cart and it looks like someone had already replaced the battery in the past because it was wrapped in electrical tape. I replaced the battery and the game is still not saving. The pins look in good condition, albeit bent a tad and it looks the solder points are good. Is there anything I'm missing?

I looked up and saw the Castlevania Double Pack uses flash ROM rather than a battery so I guess worst case I'll just track that down but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

Pictures of said cart...

vWR9w8R.jpg

Tci09cf.jpg

kjKVR7N.jpg

Can't quite see but make sure you have positive and negative connected the right way too.

Fireblend

Banned
Just took a quick (and very partial) picture of my collection.

I say it's partial because it's a shared collection with my girlfriend, and she has like half of it, including another GBC and a GBA SP :p really hoping to be able to take a picture of the whole collection soon.

Edit: Shoutout to isitstill for selling me some of the GBC games, and C-Drive for the Ice Blue GB Pocket :)

Also, I stupidly placed Pokemon Yellow upside down in the bottom left corner. Too lazy to retake the picture now that everything's back in their boxes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sell off any valuable games individually (here to be nice, or on NintendoAge or eBay to make money) then group up the chaff and sell it as a bundle.

Yup, posted in BST. My collection (according to Pricecharting loose market) is worth just over $350. Not terrible. I'm just going to sell the whole lot for a nice discount and pass it on to someone who wants to build a decent GB/GBC/GBA collection with a 101 SP.

Yup, posted in BST. My collection (according to Pricecharting loose market) is worth just over $350. Not terrible. I'm just going to sell the whole lot for a nice discount and pass it on to someone who wants to build a decent GB/GBC/GBA collection with a 101 SP.

got a link to the post?

Teknoman

That and its Mario. You can hit a thrift store, see Dragon Force and Mario Sunshine next to each other. Dragon Force will be 4 dollars, Sunshine will be 14.

there's a premium on anything big-name, honestly. Not only because they're usually good games, but there's a premium that comes with those logos and such. True of any market.

Haha yeh well there's that too. I'd personally get a new one with tabs and solder it in but I have seen some (practically) successful tape jobs that others have done.

Thats what I do too; I've ordered several lots of pre-tabbed batteries for reasonably cheap. Every time I see someone do a tapejob I cringe. Soldering isn't hard!

Is it worth importing the last F-Zero Climax? I was playing GP Legend this morning and realized that it's really well made even though it didn't give off the best first impression.

How import-friendly is Climax for someone who knows no Japanese? Are there any region lockouts if I try to play the game on a DS Lite? (I assume the answer is "no").

It has a track editor like the 64DD title. 'Nuff said?

Pretty user friendly. 100% worth it IMO.

butalala

I fucked up my AGS-101. It was in my bag when I tossed it around carelessly and broke the hinge. Here's a picture:

Luckily all of the buttons seem to work.

What are my options here? Obviously I need to start taking better care of it since I take it out of the house. What is a good case? Is there a clear shell case, something like this, that I can permanently put onto the GBA to keep it solid?

I saw someone above post a replacement shell for his/her GBA. I guess that's probably not a great option as the build quality could be suspect and I don't have the greatest mechanical knowledge.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare coin to spend on a new GBA, so I appreciate any ideas you guys have to offer!

maxcriden

Was looking for Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on Amazon and was really surprised to see it cost £150. Is it a rare game?

If you're looking for cart only, it should cost very little. Unfortunately I don't know much about CIB pricing. If you just want to play the game, though, it should be a small fraction of that price!

true Gek

I was looking for a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance and The prices for only the cartidge are crazy. More than 30/40€ on amazon.co.uk andò EBay!

butalala

Based on the lack of responses, I've resigned myself to the fact that my GBA seen above is beyond saving. Now I hope that you guys could help me pick a good ebay buy.

Is there anything wrong with either of these?

option 1

option 2

I really hope that you guys can help me with this. Office bathroom breaks won't be the same without a GBA.

I was looking for a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance and The prices for only the cartidge are crazy. More than 30/40€ on amazon.co.uk andò EBay!

I think the European release is especially sought after because that's the version compatible with the sound restoration patch.

batrush

Is there anything wrong with either of these?

Apart from the prices? I suppose not.

Your Gameboy isn't beyond saving. Replacing the shell is a simple process and there are plenty of videos that'll guide you. Buying one of the shell replacement kits is a good solution. But as I posted earlier, you can also use the shell of a cheap AGS001 if you have quality concerns.

true Gek

I think the European release is especially sought after because that's the version compatible with the sound restoration patch.

I had the game with the box in perfect condition but during a flood I've lost all my videogame collection and also FF VI Advance. Now it's impossible to buy one cartidge at a decent price.

Oh well, I've just bought The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap for 16.5 € (no box). It's a good price?

hdmyboy

Neo Member
posted this a page or two back. The price is just too high, and there's no chance they hit their goal.

Some updates from hdmyboy - full hd for you DMG-01 game boy: http://kck.st/1vOyM1u
Tomorrow will probably be the first time a DMG-01 ever live streams to the internet. As we will be on the channel of GaminGuys on twitch.tv. Hopefully we can show you the full 1080P60 :)

Here's an off screen recording we did earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7JZ2fzFb4

The campaign is going ok as we are currently at 33% funded with two more weeks to go. And looking at our figures we think we could make it if we got a bit more coverage in North America and Asia, as currently most of our backers are from Europe.

We are especially having trouble getting on to more gadgety sites like Gizmodo, or Kotaku so if you would have any contacts, that would be great.

Splurged a bit since I got some extra cash. Ordered:

Star Ocean: Blue Sphere
Dr. Mario
Donkey Kong Land 3
Super Mario Land 2
Tomb Raider

All CIB, all good condition. Pretty happy with the prices, too. All about 15$

Super Dodgeball Advance is highly underrated. This game is so much fun!

I just wish it had a tutorial since I forget the controls every time I go back to play after a long while.

Kawika

Anyone have any thoughts on the replacement GBA SP shells?

I had an AGS-001 and hated the screen and decided to take the plunge. I bought a really beat up AGS-101 with zero dead pixels and decided to replace the shell.

The shell is not official but it's so ridiculously close to the real thing, you really need a trained eye to see the difference. The buttons and triggers are crisp, the speaker sounds identical and the everything down the hinges are cloned.

The only difference I've noticed is the plastic around the volume on mine is not cut perfectly straight. Also, the bottom plastic under where the cart inserts is a little thinner Other than that, it feels like having a brand new Game Boy Advance and it's nice having a AGS-101 with the Onyx Black color.

662888235_o.jpg

A definite warning to people looking for AGS-101. eBay looks to be flooded with GBAs being sold as mint/new condition and they are just using the replacement shell so what you are getting is not technically an official GBA. Still, I think they are really close and if your SP is in rough shape, a shell is worth getting with how cheap they are.

I bought a beat up AGS 101 from some guy off craigslist. I decided to swap out a lot of the old parts and customize it to my liking. Found an awesome ebayer that allowed me to pick the colors of everything in the cases he was selling. I also had a famicom edition gba from Japan which had a really nice red screen but since it wasn't an ags 101 and harvesting it for parts seemed wrong I bought a replacement famicom edition screen.

That said,
2014-11-21.jpg

2014-11-21.jpg

What a huge difference the AGS 101 makes compared to the AGS-001
IMG_20141121_212937850.jpg

Do it! 101 screen is night and day compared to the original.

Honestly the only thing holding me back is that I would only use it for GBC games (as I prefer the micro), and I vastly prefer playing on a real gameboy to an advance or an SP. Gonna have to bite the bullet soon, though I think.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Question:

How is GBA on the WiiU's Virtual Console? The interesting aspect of it to me is that they turned down the artificial brightness... I'm wondering, is this actually the best release of these games? Or are there inaccuracies that would make sticking with the original carts the best plan of action?

Question:

How is GBA on the WiiU's Virtual Console? The interesting aspect of it to me is that they turned down the artificial brightness... I'm wondering, is this actually the best release of these games? Or are there inaccuracies that would make sticking with the original carts the best plan of action?
Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

However, since it's basically just emulation like any other, I would assume that comparing it to the carts just comes down to which control scheme you prefer, and if you prefer playing it on a television.

The best way to play many of the games with color/sound inaccuracies is with fan patches applied and on either a flashcart or emulator.

TheMoon

Question:

It's ace. The only thing is that some of the whites sometimes can look a bit grey-ish, probably because of how they were made with the artificial extra brightness in mind originally. Remappable controls + optional smooth filter and actual display options make this a wonderful way to enjoy them.

Question:

M2 did good.

I still prefer the carts on my backlit AGB-001, but VC ain't a bad substitute

Question:

The only GBA VC title I own so far is Advance Wars but based on my experience with that the emulation is rock solid (it's M2, come on) and the different display options are excellent. And having the digital manual scans on the Gamepad is every bit as cool as you think. Makes me wish M2 would do a lot more VC work for Nintendo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
GBA emulation on Wii U's VC is quite good. Obviously nothing beats the original (backlit) GBA screen, but it looks nice on the Gamepad and decent on the TV. Played through Metroid Fusion and all three Castlevanias on it, and they looked great.

Fireblend

Banned
Picked up a cheap (~$20) AGS-101 the other day. The colors around the very edges of the screen look washed out or brighter than the rest of the screen though, very white-ish, it's kinda annoying. I can live with it, but is there any way to fix that? I've been looking for people with similar issues and found nothing.

Peltz

Yoshi's Island has a few issues on the GBA emulator on Wii U. The transition screens between parts of the levels sometimes look like a garbled mess. But if you're not nitpicky, it's a decent experience. Also, due to the native res of GBA, the games don't scale to 1080p 100% cleanly, but there is a 1:1 mode that makes everything look spectacular.

Even though I'm generally not enthusiastic about emulation, this honestly offers a far better GBA experience than GB Player, and is the best official way to play GBA games on any TV.

Peltz

Picked up a cheap (~$20) AGS-101 the other day. The colors around the very edges of the screen look washed out or brighter than the rest of the screen though, very white-ish, it's kinda annoying. I can live with it, but is there any way to fix that? I've been looking for people with similar issues and found nothing.

Sounds like a bootleg device. Do you have any pictures?

Top Bottom