• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Any suggestions on where to get decent GBA (glacier) and GBC (Kiwi) shells? I have ordered a few off eBay and they sucked.
All clone shells are going to be like this. The plastic injection molds for them are made from an actual system, but by doing this they inevitably end up with imperfections.

I had issues with my clone shell's cartridge slot being slightly off, which cause flexing the system to make it freeze. I ended up fixing that by using an OEM back of a decent condition silver system with the (glacier) clone shell's front... the 2 tone looks pretty good, it still feels fresh, and no cartridge slot issues.

Synless

All clone shells are going to be like this. The plastic injection molds fot them are made from an actual system, but by doing this they inevitably end up with imperfections.

I had issues with my clone shell's cartridge slot being slightly off, which cause flexing the system to make it freeze. I ended up fixing that by using an OEM back of a decent condition silver system with the (glacier) clone shell's front... the 2 tone looks pretty good, it still feels fresh, and no cartridge slot issues.
I have an issue where the with my clone kiwi gameboy color shell where it is actually creating graphic glitches in the games not found present in my other GBC or when played in my GBA. Is there really no seller or site that makes very decent shells?

Hi guys. I'm new to this thread but loving the topic. Can you guys forgive my ignorance but explain what ULL is and how I use it? I have a crap load of gba games, a GameCube, a Gameboy Player w/disc and component cables with a Sony crtv but one of the later Wega models that accepts HDMI. Can I play gba games in 240p with this set up?

prateeko

Hi guys. I'm new to this thread but loving the topic. Can you guys forgive my ignorance but explain what ULL is and how I use it? I have a crap load of gba games, a GameCube, a Gameboy Player w/disc and component cables with a Sony crtv but one of the later Wega models that accepts HDMI. Can I play gba games in 240p with this set up?

Google-fu tells me it stands for Ultra Low Latency GBP.

It requires this: http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/SD-Media-Launcher__EF000580V.aspx

I am not sure how it related to GBi, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have not looked into things much either.

Wega CRT TVs that display 480p or 720p or 1080i don't display 480i natively, they upscale it to 960i using their "Digital Reality Creation" circuits. I do not know how they display 240p. At best they may upscale it to 480p which may be pretty decent.

Ultra Low Latency and Low Latency Game Boy Interface output uses slightly tweaked non-standard scan rates that will typically sync OK on BVMs and other 'pro' CRT monitors but which won't work with most consumer CRTs from North America (not sure about from elsewhere).

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, i use LL, but i have been able to complete all races on hard in Maximum Velocity, so i think that is good enough.

John Blade

Nothing crazy but manage to get myself back into the Gameboy Collection a bit. Just got this from a nice chap who is selling it. Man...what a beast handheld as I never own the original Gameboy. This is modify with the backlit screen which make it more useful to play game at night if I try to. Did a quick test and like it so far. Now, just need a original gameboy color with backlit and I have a complete collection.

alf717

So it's a download patch? Does it require modding the Gameboy Player? How does it replace the function of the boot up disc?

GBi has three versions to choose from. GBi mode, LL mode and ULL mode. CRT's can get away with GBi mode and LL mode while ULL is for those with PVM monitors. It can work on a CRT but you may experience sync issues. The player does not need to be modified but you will need a method to load homebrew on the Game Cube to get it to work.

-KRS-

The ULL version works on my consumer Trinitron CRT, but I have to change the channel and then change back again after booting it to make it sync. So if people have issues with a rolling image or other sync issues, try doing that and see if it helps.

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my experience with a screen protector for the Game Boy micro. I was looking for one that covered the whole faceplate as most only go on top of the screen area. The Famicom version faceplate has the golden paint on the top side, so I wanted to keep it safe from scratching or chipping. I found Savvies Crystalclear protector on Amazon, which turned out to be terrible. It was too thin, would not stick and had no cutout for the speaker. I kept looking and found Dragon Full Protector Seal on ebay quite cheap.

4QfUIfKU_3VOXDc-cwYQx4EI-B68ceah_yK_4Qu6jX1N2gSR-JZ8noL0Z5O35DT7Ge3IUQgLQ6BX5rhvsHGY3ucPlrvtiHtP-LQ06OYLsMaVrdiFUX256869aNA0dCrReVjmCCvE5iv54MU0Ueag0KFkbD514itZ3w91BrloH6zIW3OP9SGWPz-iQ74IogpAlWeSxmtF3mZ2CRlbsgnZp1WkCjo9mv6jUcenevrUtC86q_sIiy6r_BfDsXNTuJ9comRBz2VNooTsfIhLX-x_GlNMZ03qSF0dYKUeANgcSyeEijK29DsCBcNSNVJpsCIymWImBE1D4mEzdzqebdOKACGnRBRuNkIdEznXlgVApcMvzrzrgXKUlbQPmExgDPBNTBIQm3FdWwlhoY7qNxa48vrI151d_mdhjltwKe6eeAaziffPZrWn-nLDVIgiXIzj87hLbhT3QYJ2jEpj1XcdAKunHLrfLUQZVeTK4A2URWohjuuD5slpjxmNwWZF2NQeKISbUBCtlc2rLSQ9t-VAic_xa5j4qADdG6R-OTABqr-U7gvpkXKaDwCLxVah6IF4JMmYMyPWm2_W2eZEH8FTBG-j7Izo8epLkqOd-ULC6actwIs6=w533-h947-no

I've been using it for a couple of months and it's been holding out quite well. It covers the whole screen, leaving only the circular cutouts by the d-pad, A B buttons and speaker. The edges are a bit sharp but you cant really notice it while playing. It's a bit tricky to align, but once applied it's perfect! I highly recommend it.

xK2CaI0scG1uz7pMtNh8rolVbbEKXuMPSsGairG4KAq0-cn0JEGwkNPyRteUh-oS-G5acYajhbG4Pi3St4AAvTRtu0LSkMR7zJ8_Iyu0-_8BLlvbCa57kVNUKhe9uV_a_YaKAiicpe-XVTIDg-jDW4wJaVIgTWERp_Ir9_nuA2lWdTjV6U86R6wzqVvr2uFb4sqsG1ifJ9Z6kfPfoFCUl49tp7AuFcYUumSJ5bdHapQROlxe9kaf2UwhTu1DflwSURSBcWmiJP2EXXSy_NP6JTq2v28Nce0TDGCBh71ahbbZtc30NEuAjl9eOuN3k8aPzFbRzXWA4wh1sVtn9Qz2HVCcQB8lASiazagq-FExG5Yv9yCPn6HCVp4PollaQMwimT2Pwi3e9Sy6Db6gPUby5_1Mj_LPGItopa6mO-qmb_jwLMh881036n7cjlkBshWmsNcka6d5pthBRQXm2KpcHlnU1XkpeZDcplINvzMcRiSjB-6kvmWNhmcWiKns46wzxp5izEpSrhIRfjLTWnePqAP2TLVqwk46FqFqEcyNLgf-ZJg28cMm2HG5ySDqZ17aO_UX5cDS14RowRwUMVq_JC4Y-GyivzndjmNtL4wKSdxEkdWp=w1684-h947-no

RkLeIC2AjMlxh9PMhlUEHr_ZrIfxdG1CLLREQ6oSIS6tqzWP8G79Eu7Q9P9e56t0G2n44QyqVQ-1ybQm-veH0C3pqN2NLPSLfEWDJeBqUpiPaahwJTurFTxJp-vYWNjNCHhqgI56wp__YCamwKPrDZ1NsWsRXTjfrDkOLuZgx5lOu14jDR3453XRWnZ5VAMN3j7qSKRwlg9pSoOCWpZMro2G0-hNfOLb_P-SvsA9IvCWpC7Tdn4AkKRrFv4oRY1tNy_z3hVcGUGuaHaHWRzHwF2AY5kp7pv970HF-5oOT2MRO9C2T6MBMKyoY9mR6GutfFDZVabz93haB9qqL6uqOPdg-lCSMOiLgiM4RIM_3Op0N4208In4LrI9x7kuCZaJ85V3zSBFwGSNlxNWuLMj7lq95unypJjjDp5JtRTB8Ro3rRScc2IihbreCwPUEBSbrYoUkGGjQsZAX5ywKU8eG703aP9ZGhtFtDaASZZKEzzcCgqvdyWQ1ZsHh_ZDTZDZHiamQnSrMu57Y1JkVJu3Vu7ZubQuPUZshGdNROjEHgjT3DLodsf25uLW7Ya0LQCmgyrXmKDpWteeY4WUhcJsbP-nuQWm5z7qPpNa-OtY-b2_FPc5=w1684-h947-no

Lettuce

What was the reason for F-Zero Climax only getting a Japanese release??, been playing this afternoon (thanks EverDrive) and its awesome!!

the Identifying Fake GBA games link is very useful. I just recently bought a fake Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and what do you know, the signs were right there on the cartridge.

Synless

Finally got the new shell and glass lens in today. Mod complete :)

AFxyY36.jpg

Was a pain in the ass though. I had the contrast issue and the potentiometer didn't have an effect on it. So I had to solder another wire to the ground and recv to get it how it should look.

Feeling pretty good about it though. The whole thing cost me about $65 by just being patient and calling around local thrift shops until an ags-101 popped up.

Peagles

Finally got the new shell and glass lens in today. Mod complete :)

AFxyY36.jpg

Was a pain in the ass though. I had the contrast issue and the potentiometer didn't have an effect on it. So I had to solder another wire to the ground and recv to get it how it should look.

Feeling pretty good about it though. The whole thing cost me about $65 by just being patient and calling around local thrift shops until an ags-101 popped up.

Looks great. What was the contrast issue?

Synless

Looks great. What was the contrast issue?
From what I understand, some of the screens from the SP models when put in the original output more power to the screen. This causes the contrast to be crazy high and everything is washed out. There are two solutions. The first is messing with the potentiometer in the back of the unit. The second if that doesn't work is to solder an additional wire between the REVC and GND points. After you do that you usually have to mess with the potentiometer again because the contrast setting is offset but it worked like a charm.

See here : http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/gba-ags-101-backlit-screen-mod-help.13374/

I recently got a Super Game Boy and was chuffed to note some of the background content for certain games.

Here are some screens of a couple of games that I tried;

Money Idol (puzzle) Exchanger;
XQlUz8V.jpg

PC Genjin 2;
PbVNZWr.jpg

prateeko

GBi has three versions to choose from. GBi mode, LL mode and ULL mode. CRT's can get away with GBi mode and LL mode while ULL is for those with PVM monitors. It can work on a CRT but you may experience sync issues. The player does not need to be modified but you will need a method to load homebrew on the Game Cube to get it to work.
I have component cables by 1080p LCD. Would I be better off with HDMI mod?

the Identifying Fake GBA games link is very useful. I just recently bought a fake Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and what do you know, the signs were right there on the cartridge.
Which links?

Peltz

I have component cables by 1080p LCD. Would I be better off with HDMI mod?
You probably won't benefit from GBI then unless you have a framemeister or some other external scaling device.

Whether you'll benefit from the HDMI mod vs Component cables depends entirely on how well your HDTV accepts component. Both will have a 480p image for GB Player using stock software.

Many cheaper/older or off-brand HDTVs handle HDMI better than component but most modern name-brand sets do component quite well. I personally wouldn't waste money on the mod if you have the component cables.

prateeko

You probably won't benefit from GBI then unless you have a framemeister or some other external scaling device.

Whether you'll benefit from the HDMI mod vs Component cables depends entirely on how well your HDTV accepts component. Both will have a 480p image for GB Player using stock software.

Many cheaper/older or off-brand HDTVs handle HDMI better than component but most modern name-brand sets do component quite well. I personally wouldn't waste money on the mod if you have the component cables.

I have an old Samsung and I don't notice component lag (on the cube or the Wii before the Wii U routed through my Yamaha).

So no point to GBI or anything else like that if I don't have a CRT? 😩

That's not really right. The stock Game Boy Player software has a lot of problems:
  1. Blurry image scaling
  2. Only outputs 480i over non-component cables
  3. Really crazy bad lag (>5 frames, bouncing around)
  4. Multi-frame stutter every 5 seconds or so

You can fix #2 (and #1 along with it) with Swiss homebrew by forcing 240p but it's kinda bootsy and would involve a disc swap without a modchip, and if your TV doesn't support 240p properly it's not worth bothering.

GBI fixes all these problems. Even if you want to run HDTV direct, you'll get 480p with much nicer scaling, much better lag, and no stutter (really just reduced to 1 duplicated frame intermittently).

Is there any reason to get Link's Awakening over Link's Awakening DX?

Yes. The DX version makes several changes from the original, some of which apply to playing the DX version in B&W:

- Color (though I think some of the color choices are overly bright...)
- The okay but not amazing color-only dungeon with some somewhat overpowered tunics as a reward; this does not apply to the original version, but in color it's a change.
- More hints in dungeons. In the original version, each dungeon has one Stone Slab piece which, when collected, gives you a hint for that dungeon when you bring it to a Stone Slab. In the DX version though, the stone slabs are replaced with Owl Statues and the slab pieces with Owl Statue beaks, and there are now multiple hints per dungeon, to make things a bit easier.
- The Camera Store is added in the DX version. Here you can get a camera, and at certain points in the game you can collect photos of key scenes which you can then print out with a Game Boy Printer. The camera, pictures, and printer support work equally in B&W or color. The overworld map tile where the camera store is in the DX version is just a mountain corner or such in the original game.
- There may also be some game balance changes in the DX version?

So yeah, the original version has no photos to collect and fewer hints, for two things which also apply to B&W. I got the original version back in the early '90s though, it's the version I played. In comparison, I did not get the DX version when it came out, but only got it years later. It's great, but I have always thought that none of the DX version changes are actually essential; the original version has always been my favorite, and still is. The addition of color somehow looks a little garish at times, the added hints aren't needed, the blue or red tunics are unnecessary, and the camera stuff... it's neat I guess, but hardly something I care too much about.

No. The colorization in dual-mode carts is just pallets defined for the 4 color grayscale for each tile. It's ignored in original GameBoy.

In this case you need a GBC to enter the color dungeon, but the rest of it is the same, and you can load a save file on either platform, color or B&W. There are some game where that is not the case, though -- even though it looks the same apart for the color Wario Land II only allows one save file on the cart at a time and you cannot load a color save on an original GB and vice versa, it'll ask you to delete the file if you want to play. This is probably not the only such game.

Or for the most infamous example, Conker's Pocket Tales is a completely different game on each platform. There really are two games on that cart, a B&W one and a color one. Both are similar top-down action-adventure games, but they are definitely not the same. Again the save files are incompatible so you can't play both at once and need to delete the files to play the other version, unfortunately. I like the B&W version more, myself. The color version has a larger world and save anywhere while the B&W one has save points, but still, that one feels more fun.

The cost associated with making two versions of the same game + the extra ROM cost vs the ease of just adding color via pallets makes me think those may be literally the only 2 cases of that ever happening.

b3b0p

Is there someone or some place to send in my OG Purple GBA to get modded with a backlight? If so, what does this cost? Am I better off just getting a snake light or giving into the cramped GBA SP?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Been following this thread for a very long time and i have decided to collect all the different hardware changes from the gameboy brand.

gameboy classic
gameboy play it loud (diffrent speaker)
gameboy pocket without battery light
gameboy pocket with battery light
gameboy light
gameboy color
gameboy sp
gameboy sp 101 (brighter screen)
gameboy micro

super gameboy american
super gameboy European / famicon
super gameboy 2 (has a working link port)
gameboy advanced player (gamecube)
n64 transfer pack (to play pokemon blue/red)

nintendo ds phat
nintendo lite

and 2 clone systems

gb boy colour (gb/gbc) with backlight screen
revo k101+ (backlight gba )

so 16 systems in total
obviously not all the different recolors
that would be around 250+

does anyone know if i am missing something ? (no clone systems i picked the 2 best ones)

oh and some pictures :) with some extra peripherals printer wireless dongles e-reader link cables etc

UpZb.jpg

VpZb.jpg

XpZb.jpg

bqZb.jpg

cqZb.jpg

anyway .. love this thread ! greets!

I don't know why, but I find the Game Boy Color very... comfortable. Not in an ergonomic sense but an emotional sense.

If I had to choose between collecting the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, or Game Boy, I'd pick the Game Boy always.

TheMoon

You don't deserve to own any GBA until you can reliably never call it "Advanced."

That's worse than saying amiibos.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Does anyone have any first-hand opinion's on Retro-Bit's "Super Retro Advance Adapter" for the SNES? I don't own a Gamecube and it seems like a neat way to play GBA games on a television.

Rich!

So I'm guessing you didn't like it? What did you find were its drawbacks?

I haven't used it - but I've not heard great things.

It's basically a cheap clone with poor composite output that only uses the SNES for power and controller input. I mean, I'd spend £20 on it but absolutely nothing more.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I haven't used it - but I've not heard great things.

It's basically a cheap clone with poor composite output that only uses the SNES for power and controller input. I mean, I'd spend £20 on it but absolutely nothing more.

Considering it's the only feasible way to play Game Boy Advance carts on a TV outside of the $100+ Retron5 and a Gamecube & Game Boy Player that's comparably expensive, I'm fine with "good enough", which is why I was looking for first-hand opinions.

Top Bottom