• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

woodypop

^^ Excellent, thank you!

Makes sense that the majority would be fighting games, but I was hoping stuff like the Double Dragon games and Gauntlet II would make use of this feature, too.

Danneee

^^^ As you say that, it probably is one of them, yeah.
I remember GBA Phalanx and, if I'm not mistaken, R-Type too being pretty lousy, but there was at least another one. And after having found it's not Gradius, I guess it must be Darius.
Shame, as I can't really play the original game anywhere else. :/

Nah man, Phalanx is pretty good. R-Type 3 is supposed to be a pretty crappy port though.

Hehe. Yeh I'm here, and I haven't forgotten, I'm just up to my ribs in baby and trying to get all my paperwork finished before the end of this month.

I still have all the parts ready to go. I'll get to it soon I hope!

Sounds like you currently have the modding power of two people then. :3

Cody_D165

Banned
Just finished my first ever Game Boy mod. A front light panel installation for my childhood GBC from Hand Held Legend, along with a nice Jungle Green-esque replacement case and some white buttons. A few minor blemishes, but overall really happy with the result.

DsBtHVv.jpg
UsAlxbl.jpg

That one turned out pretty well. Those frontlight kits can be a bit messy, so I'm glad you had a good result.

I've been debating a biverted pocket again. about 80-90$. The iffy battery life keeps scaring me off.

D.Lo

I'm pretty keen on a frontlit Color myself, but I think I'd rather have it done. Same for the LED backlight for Game Gear.

Tricky mods you sometimes learn by messing it up the first time.

Joqu

Is Aladdin GBC any good? Or at the very least something I shouldn't be ashamed over for purchasing a cartridge? I picked up a cart of Harry Potter 1, 2 and Aladdin for 5 eurobucks for the three which I'm sure can't have been a bad deal but you know how it goes, I didn't know anything about the latter game.

I'm pretty keen on a frontlit Color myself, but I think I'd rather have it done. Same for the LED backlight for Game Gear.

Tricky mods you sometimes learn by messing it up the first time.

check out /u/the_8bit_kingdom on reddit. Not sure if he's still doing commissions but he did my GBC for a good price, is very communicative, and knows his shit (particularly with the Color) like very few others.

Slim`

Neo Member
I remember having a Gameboy SP when I was younger, pretty sure I had the initial model released in 2003, and strained my eyes to be able to see the front-lit screen.

I just picked up one of the backlit models that came out in 2005, accompanied with a used FireRed cartridge and dug up my old Mariokart. Been having a blast.
Man do I miss gameboys.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just picked up a local copy of Bamse for the Game Boy, a scandinavian exclusive based on the swedish cartoon. Any idea on value?

JLynn

The 101 screens that were (and still is) all over AliExpress have arrived on eBay! Average price is $45. Search under "gba Hightlight screen" and enjoy. Also, I think I glanced on reddit that there are two revisions of the 101screen? Any info on that would be appreciated.

+

I have a front lit GB Color, was done with the glue gap sealant but it looks washed out and they are never done 100% right, you always get imperfections.

Here's what you do then;

1) Put your GB Color in a Ikea Ribba Picture frame and cherish it as a display piece.

2) Buy a GB BOY COLOUR and play the games on a clear nice screen.*

*Aspect is slightly off but at least the screen doesn't look like washed out & speckled.

+

I have a front lit GB Color, was done with the glue gap sealant but it looks washed out and they are never done 100% right, you always get imperfections.

Here's what you do then;

1) Put your GB Color in a Ikea Ribba Picture frame and cherish it as a display piece.

*Aspect is slightly off but at least the screen doesn't look like washed out & speckled.
Why would you torture yourself like that when you could just use a light like Sheepy said, or a GBA, or -- since you're fine with a clone console like that -- literally any modern electronic device, since they can all emulate GB/C.

I'd wager it's just a smaller market of dedicated collectors. Still has its holy grails, but they're not as sought after.

I think the Gameboy Advance will take off eventually (though I'm fine with it being cheap, lol). A lot of the games are popular franchises/sequels from the NES and/or SNES era. The games are comparable to SNES, it has some nice pixel art games, nice selection of RPG's, it uses cartridges, and it's the last Nintendo system to use boxes.

I think the Gameboy Advance will take off eventually (though I'm fine with it being cheap, lol). A lot of the games are popular franchises/sequels from the NES and/or SNES era. The games are comparable to SNES, it has some nice pixel art games, nice selection of RPG's, it uses cartridges, and it's the last Nintendo system to use boxes.

the stigma (and reality) of fake carts, seems to really handicap the GBA scene, honestly. Even I basically just use a flash cart because getting a real GBA cart, without shelling out for CIB, is a trial.

Stopdoor

So I just picked up an AGS101 GBA SP a week ago, and the battery light has weird behaviour. It plays fine, but the light flickers and stays red for small periods constantly. It seems to have an ok, regular battery life - I tested it linked up to another GBA while using a flashcart on both and let them run and they both lasted around the same time, 4 hours. Playing a game, while it flickers, it still seems to last a regular time.

While running on its own, the light doesn't flicker, but it seems using the buttons and playing it is what causes it. Is this sort of thing fixable if I replace the battery, or is it indicative of some other problem with the GBA?

Number_6

So I just picked up an AGS101 GBA SP a week ago, and the battery light has weird behaviour. It plays fine, but the light flickers and stays red for small periods constantly. It seems to have an ok, regular battery life - I tested it linked up to another GBA while using a flashcart on both and let them run and they both lasted around the same time, 4 hours. Playing a game, while it flickers, it still seems to last a regular time.

While running on its own, the light doesn't flicker, but it seems using the buttons and playing it is what causes it. Is this sort of thing fixable if I replace the battery, or is it indicative of some other problem with the GBA?

Mine on my AGS001 flickers and goes red if I so much as touch the power switch. Could be just something somewhere is loose.

Stopdoor

Mine on my AGS001 flickers and goes red if I so much as touch the power switch. Could be just something somewhere is loose.

So probably unfixable by battery change? It's pretty annoying and does make it hard to judge when to actually worry about charging it, it's a shame because it's in nice condition.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized I could try swapping in a battery from another SP. It seems to be the unit itself. Not as easy as replacing the battery, it's a shame if I can't fix it.

On another note, checking all the SPs, one has a battery made in Japan, unlike the others made in China and one clearly 3rd Party blue battery. Anything notable about that?

Cody_D165

Banned
Following up with my earlier post! I've finished a ton of additional Game Boy mods over the past couple of weeks. This has become quite the fun hobby. I also did a case replacement on an AGS-101 I recently picked up, which turned out rather well.

Peagles

Sounds like you currently have the modding power of two people then. :3

Oh you!

+

Here's what you do then;

Rumour has it the new GB BOYs have the correct aspect ratio...

So probably unfixable by battery change? It's pretty annoying and does make it hard to judge when to actually worry about charging it, it's a shame because it's in nice condition.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized I could try swapping in a battery from another SP. It seems to be the unit itself. Not as easy as replacing the battery, it's a shame if I can't fix it.

Sometimes it can be that the power switch is a bit dusty or gunky inside, in which case blowing in a bit of compressed air can help. Often the problem is deeper but it's worth a shot I reckon.

If they do have the correct aspect ratio could they be used to replace the stock screens in real GBCs if they are the same size?

I think the screen construction and connections are all really different. it might be possible to make an adapter but I don't think it would be a passive little ribbon cable type deal.

That said, I'm just recalling what I've read. I'm not sure I've ever seen a GB Boy screen by itself.

the stigma (and reality) of fake carts, seems to really handicap the GBA scene, honestly. Even I basically just use a flash cart because getting a real GBA cart, without shelling out for CIB, is a trial.

Yea, it is an issue for cart only collectors (even CiB collectors have to watch). Especially for certain games.

b3b0p

I tried searching, but didn't find anything in this thread.

Any consensus on retromodding.com Game Boy Advance systems? It says they don't use original parts, so I'm wondering if anyone has ordered and can comment on the quality, build, feel compared to the original?

https://www.retromodding.com

Mr. Virus

Managed to snag a copy of Riviera for £15 and the cart looks real on inspection. None of the usual signs at all. Could crack it open to make sure but think I got a pretty decent deal!

prateeko

So I've been absent for a minute but I see a flood of new AGS-101 for AGB housing screens on eBay and Ali so I assume these are newly manufactured (I forget the consensus on screens a couple years ago if they were excess stock, b stock, or other manufacturers).

How is the quality on these "new" screens and they must be a whole new 3rd party right? Certainly not even a remote chance of OEM like the screens a couple years ago?

JLynn

Friend of mine made a backlit GBA and sold it to a retro shop about a month ago. The shop is selling it for $130 and as of today hasn't sold it. He's trying to convince the shop owner to advertise it on their instagram page. Why is why I'm asking if the screen modders here sold their works to a shop and how often do y'all do it?

Kawika

I tried searching, but didn't find anything in this thread.

Any consensus on retromodding.com Game Boy Advance systems? It says they don't use original parts, so I'm wondering if anyone has ordered and can comment on the quality, build, feel compared to the original?

https://www.retromodding.com

That mod is so easy to do (but you can still fuck it up, like i did this weekend lol). Step one find a good old GBA. Find out if yours is a 32 or 40 pin model. Everyone selling ribbon cables will tell you how to figure it out.

Buy a ribbon cable with the wire pre soldered and from there it 1 solder point that doesn't even require you to add solder. If the cable doesn't have tape on it, i recommend putting a small piece of tape to help you to not yank the wire from the solder point

He may use those after market screens they sell on ebay. I bought one that didn't work but I found a used AGS 101 the next day for almost the same price. I was able to get my money back and I am only out the extra 10 bucks.

You can find plenty of people who show you the mod on youtube. Its not hard to do and even if you screw up you will get it right the next time.

I've never heard of the amp thing they did. I guess its okay but its still mono so whats the point of that? Just get some good headphones.

Mr. Virus

So, uh, took a gamble on a cheap Yggdra Union posting as my copy of Riveria turned out to be legit and its...

Sealed as new. Guessing someone had stock from the publisher as it was sent from the same country as them. For £19. Very happy but now scared to open the damned thing D:!

b3b0p

That mod is so easy to do (but you can still fuck it up, like i did this weekend lol). Step one find a good old GBA. Find out if yours is a 32 or 40 pin model. Everyone selling ribbon cables will tell you how to figure it out.

Buy a ribbon cable with the wire pre soldered and from there it 1 solder point that doesn't even require you to add solder. If the cable doesn't have tape on it, i recommend putting a small piece of tape to help you to not yank the wire from the solder point

He may use those after market screens they sell on ebay. I bought one that didn't work but I found a used AGS 101 the next day for almost the same price. I was able to get my money back and I am only out the extra 10 bucks.

You can find plenty of people who show you the mod on youtube. Its not hard to do and even if you screw up you will get it right the next time.

I've never heard of the amp thing they did. I guess its okay but its still mono so whats the point of that? Just get some good headphones.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'll look into this.

Xhorder

So, uh, took a gamble on a cheap Yggdra Union posting as my copy of Riveria turned out to be legit and its...

Sealed as new. Guessing someone had stock from the publisher as it was sent from the same country as them. For £19. Very happy but now scared to open the damned thing D:!

Italy? I got a sealed copy last year and they already sold tons of copies before me.

So recently I was looking for a replacement Game Boy micro battery. Several years ago I bought a Lenmar one which turned out pretty great, but they're pretty expensive nowadays. I started looking on Amazon and found Orient Mall®Game Boy Micro Replacement Battery Pack which looked like real Nintendo replacement parts on the pictures. I bought two to test them out.

As soon as I got them, they felt kind of soft and were a very tight fit on the GBM. Since I got two, I pulled the sticker off one, and found it was actually a tiny battery inside a cardboard box covered in the Nintendo sticker. Here is a picture comparing the actual battery size to the one on the GBM

Mpq6k85kp4wc6o7D8lhreHwX6Zou3ILed58zPFyzPZY9VEobkV7z2bLsa94-AieJi04m5hX5dtR9EqA_1jLbVk7PrtUF3z7XIaC-TzUqgKQp8oxJNehAGq8tlZPiDO8VI91xa7eZxO3r2VemyHJJGykwBWm5Z0s1I_T4sy_0vx4Ytl1SyibcBkvviNyzDTicwG3OPllXEVt2ytcB9YpFXbMwzqjNYGgk-FA1lyfAZZl_viJel-MADRvbNX-VrkU6vOil2pvOXtCj1ZAeAzXn2Iw_hxHWN1yPmO9JUuGmpGAVNU3GpECwcktosqZJjdY-8royhKRhh5X7L99qNOdJGF0OiYz4l-RXd0cKsIrFOopli7njgxbFZWpF7kKv73QrR5LyQcBuRU5ZAwGoXem0Fb0bsG0M_bx22yy69MEMXrjbV6dX_emf8yIiRxSEiRBzQ65Z0fTKkA5mKKaifCS5UB8GmJ5kRlO6QPDrqvkCE6NiS2LFWWbev8lVHnfXYl9hoYXaLb8J7ah8cf-zFZsYavd2In8srGaki7r_lIns4vbHzAJ1J8_KZdyHa8oYsjwk3hdUQAXMYrlV_Z50nWr5Bgrw8PJXRpgucoEaiwrRB76aRGlE=w1635-h921-no

Other that that, I charged until full then turned on the GBM with SMA4 intro screen running on full brightness and volume. It lasted for about 4 hours, however, after a bit less than an hour, the low battery indicator turned on, even if it still went on for 3 more hours. My guess, it might be a bit undervolted.

I decided to try another battery and ran into MPF Products® 600mAh OXY-003 Battery Replacement Kit. Charged the micro until full, then left SMA4 intro screen running at full brightness and volume. It ran for a bit over 6 hours. I've been using it since, playing plenty of SMA4 and Shining Soul II and I can tell I get better endurance now than with the Lenmar or the OEM Nintendo one. If anyone is looking for a replacement battery, it is a great option.

Hope folks don't mind, but the guy who put together my GBC for me and who I can vouch for as being one of the best active GBC modders is selling one atm for 89$ shipped paypal

quote to see link :

The frontlight mod used is definitely the best around right now and barring a backlight or some big new development, probably the best we'll get. Extremely clear and as playable in the sun as an unmodded GBC in my experience.

NR1

519F0926-7904-4620-8E7B-64119929BC9E.jpg

8FCC58D2-E49D-4BB3-91A8-51D441B66B2D.jpg

Only time I have ever seen a copy out in the wild. Movie Trading Co in Allen, TX. Snatched up both Shantae games on PS4 from Limited Run earlier this month though!

Top Bottom