• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Craft

519F0926-7904-4620-8E7B-64119929BC9E.jpg

8FCC58D2-E49D-4BB3-91A8-51D441B66B2D.jpg

Only time I have ever seen a copy out in the wild. Movie Trading Co in Allen, TX. Snatched up both Shantae games on PS4 from Limited Run earlier this month though!

$300 but they still stick the price sticker over the label.

ElyrionX

So I've got

FFV
FFVI
FF Tactics Advance
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
Super Mario World
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Advance Wars

How collectible/valuable are these? Oh and they are all in very good condition with full packaging and manuals.

Danneee

What a day, found both Dragonball Advance Adventure and Steel Empire cheap on eBay. Someday I'll have to start playing all these games...

Edit:
And waddaya know, both originals.
Plus Sonic Advance/Battle double pack came in the mail today too!

putermcgee

I found a box of my Japanese Game Boy games at my aunt's last night, and started making a list. When specifying the console, I would put Game Boy or Game Boy Color. Is there any (semi-)official way to denote the black carts that are GBC games that still play in the original GB?

The list:
Bakuten Shoot Beyblade (爆転シュート ベイブレード)
Bomberman GB
Chou Majin Eiyuuden: Wataru Mazekko Monster (超魔神英雄弾 ワタルまぜっこモンスター)
Dr. Mario
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Ruka's Journey
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland
Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! (とっとこハム太郎2 ハムちゃんず大集合でちゅ)
Harvest Moon 2 GBC (牧場物語GB2)
Harvest Moon GB (牧場物語GB)
Hunter × Hunter: Hunter no Keifu (ハンターxハンター ハンターの系譜)
Kakurenbo Battle Monster Tactics (かくれんぼバトルモンスタータクティクス)
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (コロコロカービィ)
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Dream Land (星のカービイ)
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Star Stacker (カービィのきらきらきっず)
Mario Golf GB
Mario Tennis GB
Mario's Picross
Mole Mania
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer GB: Moonlight Monster Village (不思議のダンジョン風来のシレンGB 月影村の怪物)
One Piece: Birth of Luffy's Dream Pirate Crew! (ワンピース 夢のルフィ海賊団誕生!)
Pokemon Blue Version
Pokemon Card GB
Pokemon Crystal Version
Pokemon Green Version
Pokemon Pinball
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (ポケモンでパネポン)
Puyo Puyo
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Tamagochi
Tamagochi 2
Tetris DX
Tetris Plus
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (ゼルダの伝説 ふしぎの木の実 時空の章)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (ゼルダの伝説 ふしぎの木の実 大地の章)
Wario Land 2 (ワリオランド2 盗まれた財宝 )
Wario Land 3 (ワリオランド3 不思議なオルゴール)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Yakuman (役満)
Yoshi's Cookie
Yū Yū Hakusho Dai-Ni-Dan: Ankoku Bujutsu Kai Hen (悠々自適第二弾 暗黒武術会編)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Battle of Great Duelist: Kaiba Deck (遊戯王デュエルモンスターズ4 最強決闘者戦記 海馬デッキ)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4: Battle of Great Duelist: Yuugi Deck (遊戯王デュエルモンスターズ4 最強決闘者戦記 遊戯デッキ)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters II: Dark Duel Stories (遊戯王デュエルモンスターズII 闇界決闘記)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters III: Tri-Holy God Advent (遊戯王デュエルモンスターズIII 三聖戦神降臨)

$300 but they still stick the price sticker over the label.
It looks a lot like the sticker is stuck to the bump at the top of the GBC cart, and not onto the label.

d+pad

Hello everyone! I just published a post on my blog about five overlooked Japanese GameBoy games. I thought some of you might enjoy reading it.

Should you decide to check it out, I'd love it if you'd leave a comment--especially if you know of any other Japanese GB games that tend to be ignored by the masses.

Is there any (semi-)official way to denote the black carts that are GBC games that still play in the original GB?

All black cart GBC games play on the original GB.

There are also a handful of non black cart GB games that are GBC enhanced, like Pokemon Yellow and ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ テリーのワンダーランド. I think it might be the case that the earliest JP GBC-enhanced GB games were all gray carts like DQM.

if I get another it'll be a backlit DMG/GBP or another GBC. My micro meets all my GBA needs.

Probably going to hold out for a backlit GBC whenever that comes to fruition.

20161204_095108.jpg

gb boy colour is finally back in Stock at eBay, just snagged done for around 35 bucks, shipped to us from china, got here in less than what weeks

the price already went up to $40
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/282190985141

buy while you can. this little thing is awesome. Backlit screen, play all games and comes with 65 games in the memory, sound louder and better

alf717

Great video. They covered pretty much everything. I never even heard of the hdmyboy mod. I'm content with my GB player setup with s-video and GBi-LL.

Peltz

I'm also really happy with the GBI-ULL + Component cable setup but will watch the video soon anyway. I've decided to start watching MLiG videos even though I normally HATE videogame youtube personalities. MLiG is different - they actually know their stuff and their videos have taught me a thing or two. Plus they lurk this fine thread (hi guys!).

Anyway, speaking of GB.... I still don't have a satisfying backlit way of playing Kirby Tilt N Tumble - a game I've always wanted to try. Who would've thought when that game came in 2000 that a decade later, nearly every handheld device would have a built in accelerometer? Would a backlit modded OG GBA be a good way to try this game?

Anyway, speaking of GB.... I still don't have a satisfying backlit way of playing Kirby Tilt N Tumble - a game I've always wanted to try. Who would've thought when that game came in 2000 that a decade later, nearly every handheld device would have a built in accelerometer? Would a backlit modded OG GBA be a good way to try this game?

It works OK on an original GBA but the center of balance is different. It doesn't really feel right without a GBC.

20161204_095108.jpg

buy while you can. this little thing is awesome. Backlit screen, play all games and comes with 65 games in the memory, sound louder and better

Went ahead and ordered one from Aliexpress for $30 shipped. The seller had high feedback, so fingers crossed. I also noticed the model number went up on the one I bought (GBC-404), so maybe there are some fixes? The review videos I watched on YouTube have GBC-402 models.

I have a AGB-101 (Original GBA modded with the backlit screen) and while it looks great, when using headphones, there's a constant buzzing sound.

Anyone know what might be causing it? And how I could repair it?

I've opening it and cleaned it out with compressed air, but beyond that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have a AGB-101 (Original GBA modded with the backlit screen) and while it looks great, when using headphones, there's a constant buzzing sound.

I've opening it and cleaned it out with compressed air, but beyond that I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's normal for GBA headphone jack. I don't think you can get rid of it.

Grief.exe

Marathon watch but these folks make great videos.
MLiG put up RGB208 :: Getting the Best Picture from your Game Boy / GBC / GBA Games. It's an hour long. I'm starting it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc

Great video

The RGB guys need to get in the habit of time stamping links in their description so we can more easily reference information later on.

I actually haven't looked into this, but shot in the dark you may have to replace some capacitors. I don't know how the GBA handles audio output though.

Is there some place to buy battery covers for rumble enabled GBC games? I've got Star Wars Racer but no battery cover for it. No luck on ebay unless I'm just using the wrong search terms.

Peltz

It works OK on an original GBA but the center of balance is different. It doesn't really feel right without a GBC.
Well then I'm really glad I asked. I'll grab a GBC.

Edit: Does anyone sell front-lit GBC? I'd still want the original screen in there, but just an option for a front-light if possible.

I'm not interested in a replacement backlit screen. Any kind of recommendations for a worm light would also be appreciated.

SKINNER!

Banned
Went ahead and ordered one from Aliexpress for $30 shipped. The seller had high feedback, so fingers crossed. I also noticed the model number went up on the one I bought (GBC-404), so maybe there are some fixes? The review videos I watched on YouTube have GBC-402 models.

Let us know if there's a difference :)

Lkr

does anyone have a recommendation of where and which gba to buy? i would like micro. is there any flashcart that allows for playing of gbc/gb games? if not what is my next best option?

If I'm not mistaken, the Micro doesn't have the full hardware necessary for GB/GBC backwards compatibility, so playing any of those games on a micro would need to be through emulation like gameyob.

Kawika

I am not sure on the model number but I know the new ones have the correct pixel/aspect ratio to the gbc. So if you didn't notice the GBBOY looked different than your GBC you might have been just happy to see it in all its back lit beauty.

Let us know if there's a difference :)

Aspect ratio kept me from pulling the trigger. Now I will. I just wish I could put that backlight into my actual GBC.

I am not sure on the model number but I know the new ones have the correct pixel/aspect ratio to the gbc. So if you didn't notice the GBBOY looked different than your GBC you might have been just happy to see it in all its back lit beauty.

Oh man that is great to hear! I can't wait to get it. It just shipped last night!

Also, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this topic already, but I love this youtube channel This Does Not Compute. His videos are informative and he has some amazing production/editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWH29u-L60k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f85v4hqbcJc

fireflame

Hello guys i think this would be the best thread to ask for your feedbacks about this. When I was a teen I got a GBA in 2001. The only game I had issues with was Circle of the Moon which was so dark.

Now, in 2016, when I run games on GBA, i have the feeling my eyes are providing a bigger effort than in the past, with all games. Is it because i got used to the comfort of the backlight screen on 2DS, is it psychological, is it because GBA screen goes weaker after years(the screen of my gb pocket is weakening).

I consider getting an AGS 101, but prices are very high(or getting an upgraded screen but i dont know how to put it on an old GBA by myself).

Hello guys i think this would be the best thread to ask for your feedbacks about this. When I was a teen I got a GBA in 2001. The only game I had issues with was Circle of the Moon which was so dark.

Now, in 2016, when I run games on GBA, i have the feeling my eyes are providing a bigger effort than in the past, with all games. Is it because i got used to the comfort of the backlight screen on 2DS, is it psychological, is it because GBA screen goes weaker after years(the screen of my gb pocket is weakening).

I consider getting an AGS 101, but prices are very high(or getting an upgraded screen but i dont know how to put it on an old GBA by myself).
Probably the unlit GBA screen. Try to find a modded OG GBA or the SP 101, hopefully you'll find one at a decent price.

fireflame

For the screen's comfort. I struggle when I play with my 2001 GBA, always trying to have the sun on my console. I checked some videos and the difference between the regular sp and the AGS 101 is quite important, the AGS101 gives a much more visible image.I have checked ebay and the ags 101 is sold between 80-120 euros, if not more.

fireflame

There is the ags 101 label on pictures when they are sold(most of times) and the AGS 101's screen is darker when it is turned off. If there is no picture of the screen and just the label.I guess people can still try to put an ags 101 label on an ags 001, but i limit my requests to trades covered by paypal so that is covered by the paypal'spolicy for refunds.

One thing that can help is that originally the ags 101 was only produced with a limited set of colors.Some Ags 101, however, are sold with a different color scheme, i guess that's because people used replacement boxes.

Top Bottom