• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Dammit. I think I've decided to start collecting GB/GBA. (This thread isn't helping much.) Unfortunately, my first order of businesses will be to rebuy most of the classics that I've sold over the years.

I need something to play on. I think I'm going to start with GBA and I've always wanted as Micro. Is it possible to find one in decent shape for under $75?

Also where do you guys get your imports? Is it more economical to get them on eBay or via proxy service?

looks like this guy is selling a micro for $59

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48523734&postcount=3702

Dammit. I think I've decided to start collecting GB/GBA. (This thread isn't helping much.) Unfortunately, my first order of businesses will be to rebuy most of the classics that I've sold over the years.

I need something to play on. I think I'm going to start with GBA and I've always wanted as Micro. Is it possible to find one in decent shape for under $75?

Also where do you guys get your imports? Is it more economical to get them on eBay or via proxy service?

If you want to play GB/GBC, you can't do that on a Micro you know...

Pokemon Yellow Version, signed by Veronica Taylor.

yYAiblS.jpg

Just started recollecting the gameboy stuff I had in my youth. Just got one new backlit gameboy, one game(My favorite ever, Final Fantasy Adventure, and a brand new never opened gameboy battery pack charger. I can't bring myself to open it though...

wSBDPxQl.jpg

CL10S2Al.jpg

ant1532

Banned
i just posted this on the selling thread but yeah, i found 3 gamecube to gba nintendo link cables in my closet i want to sell, if any of you are interested heres a link to my post.

Gp8Hf9d.jpg

also, i found a gba link cable, if anyone needs that PM me

oh also, metroid 2, i gots that.

missfuuchan

Neo Member
Sadly this photo isn't GB only and has our other Nintendo handhelds too (I need to take some GB hardware/games only photos) - but it's the first time I've got all the GB we have together in one photo.

The latest addition is the Pink backlit SP - I didn't realise that it would be so different to the frontlit one - its an amazing piece of kit. My favourite GB is the Pokemon Center Game Boy Light though - it was a lucky Yahoo Japan auction win (I seem to remember it was around 4000yen with a yellow GB Printer) - it's absolutely pristine with the velvet pouch and paperwork and I'm not sure it has even been played with before.

Yeah, I'll be buying a GBC for those!
Ah, that makes sense then. The GB Micro's screen is really small though... something like the Super Game Boy and/or GB Player is nice to have too.

Just started recollecting the gameboy stuff I had in my youth. Just got one new backlit gameboy, one game(My favorite ever, Final Fantasy Adventure, and a brand new never opened gameboy battery pack charger. I can't bring myself to open it though...

wSBDPxQl.jpg
Yeah, the GB battery pack has such an awesome box... I have two of those, from back in the early '90s. Great box, it looks really cool. :)

Unfortunately the battery packs themselves don't work anymore, as after a while they can't be recharged anymore, and for whatever reason you can't use it as a power cord if the battery is dead even though by looking at you'd think that you should be able to, but still, at least the boxes are awesome. (I'm sure that people good at computer engineering stuff could retrofit the battery packs to use some new type of battery, but I can't do that kind of thing...)

Wow, thanks for that info. I would have thought you could still use the charger plugged into the wall even if the battery pack didn't work. Guess I'll never open it then. I've been using rechargeable batteries with my 15 minute quick charger and they last all week, so it's all good.

Wow, thanks for that info. I would have thought you could still use the charger plugged into the wall even if the battery pack didn't work. Guess I'll never open it then. I've been using rechargeable batteries with my 15 minute quick charger and they last all week, so it's all good.

Hey, if it's never been used, then I'm sure it would work fine for at least a year or two... the real issue is that those '90s battery packs use NiCd batteries which don't last as long as the rechargeable styles that are used now.

Anyway, I'm not actually 100% sure that that's true. What I do know is that while I can get those battery packs working, but they're INCREDIBLY touchy, and reset pretty much constantly, when plugged in or not. I have to angle the plug a bit to get a reliable on, and of course then I can't really hold the system. I've heard that this is a common issue and might be a problem with the battery pack itself (when it can't hold a charge anymore, that is) and not the GB.

Also, of course, it's only for the original-model GB. All other models use different power supplies, so you can't use that with a GBC, GBA, etc. anyway, even if it's working perfectly. And the original GB gets pretty good battery life... 35 hours on 4 AAs, according to the manual, and I believe it. But anyway, there's not much reason to be using the original model GB too much, games blur so much on that screen that many of them are barely playable. I liked it at the time, and still use the original GB once in a rare while, but that blurring really is an issue, compared to a nice, nearly blur-free screen like the GBC or GBA have.

It's all Nostalgia for me. I love the weight and feel and even the old screen of the original GB. Just had to get a backlit model. I have a GBA and a DS and DSI and 3ds. My old GB I got as a teen was "my" first own console I could keep all to myself, and not have to share with 5 other siblings. I used to have the light attachment that slid on to the front of it, and I'd go hide in the closet and play, where no annoying brothers and sisters could bug me.

Has anyone here backlit their AGB-001 with an AGS-101 backlight?
I'm really interested in the mod because I vastly prefer the landscape orientation and overall ergonomics of the original GBA to the SP.

plc268

Has anyone here backlit their AGB-001 with an AGS-101 backlight?
I'm really interested in the mod because I vastly prefer the landscape orientation and overall ergonomics of the original GBA to the SP.

Me.

It's an easy mod too. All it requires is a little bit of cutting the plastic with a dremel or xacto knife on the faceplate, and soldering one wire.

If you order the kit directly from zerey, it should cost you around $45 for the screen and cable shipped from china. Or, you can order from rosecoloredgaming.com, but be prepared to pay a hefty markup.

I'm planning on putting up a backlit agb-001 on ebay soon, but I may put it on the b/s/t thread here first.

Me.

It's an easy mod too. All it requires is a little bit of cutting the plastic with a dremel or xacto knife on the faceplate, and soldering one wire.

If you order the kit directly from zerey, it should cost you around $45 for the screen and cable shipped from china. Or, you can order from rosecoloredgaming.com, but be prepared to pay a hefty markup.

I'm planning on putting up a backlit agb-001 on ebay soon, but I may put it on the b/s/t thread here first.

Interesting, can you tell me more about zerey? Do I need to order through a proxy service to get it shipped to US?

Hey guys, how do you go about identifying fakes from ebay?

Are there any reputable sellers out there?

It's tough to say. I personally sold off a good chunk of my completely store-bought GBA games, complete in box, and had two buyers come back to me and tell me the games I sold them were counterfeit. The games looked 100% immaculate. Apparently, the only way to tell with some of those bootlegs is by looking at the circuit boards.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone have any good suggestions for game storage? Original Gameboy games are great as a result of the included cases but GBA games are difficult to deal with. I've tried a few different 3rd party cases and hate all of them.

Slermy

Anyone have any good suggestions for game storage? Original Gameboy games are great as a result of the included cases but GBA games are difficult to deal with. I've tried a few different 3rd party cases and hate all of them.

I use these odd cloth, GameStop branded cases made by Pelican. Each one has six "pages" with mesh pockets to hold four cartridges. I think they're awesome. The only downside is that 1.) They're hard to find and 2.) The games in the last pocket can be a bit tricky to get in and out with if all four spots are full.

Grief.exe

Was checking CL for some GBA games today on a whim, found some gems to fill in my collection.

Aria of Sorrow
Mario & Luigi
Minish Cap (in box, pretty expensive)
Metroid Zero Mission

Teknoman

These just arrived:

jynfgdGEO76zv.jpg

OCDreproductions for the Mother 3 cart.

It works great and the label looks great ( ESRB rating is a little fuzzy but not a big deal), but i'm not sure if the cartridge is supposed to be slightly open on the inside.

jGJ8193I07moT_e.jpg

They did say this on the site:

This cartridge will not suffer from the fat cart syndrome I've read about other Mother 3 carts. We modify them to fit without bulging. I confirmed it to fit fine into DS Lite, GBA SP, and the Gameboy Player.

So maybe thats why it looks like it does? Kinda have to push a little harder (not much but just abit more than normal) to get the GBASP to not have that scrambled Nintendo logo screen, but it works fine other than that.

Also I just noticed my backlit graphite SP volume is kinda quiet compared to front lit versions. Is that another difference between the two, or is it just something wrong with my SP?

Sushigod7

I think your right sounds like they have to modify the cart a little. So how is the translation etc? I wouldn't mind picking that up when they open up shop again.

Teknoman

I think your right sounds like they have to modify the cart a little. So how is the translation etc? I wouldn't mind picking that up when they open up shop again.

Its this one:

http://mother3.fobby.net/

I havent gone too far in the repro, but when playing on emulator back when the translation first released, it seemed like top notch stuff. Everyone else seems to be pretty pleased with it as well.

Sushigod7

Its this one:

http://mother3.fobby.net/

I havent gone too far in the repro, but when playing on emulator back when the translation first released, it seemed like top not stuff. Everyone else seems to be pretty pleased with it as well.

Awesome just noticed their site is working again a few carts I'd like to grab from them looking forward to this as well when it's back in stock.

plc268

jGJ8193I07moT_e.jpg

They did say this on the site:

This cartridge will not suffer from the fat cart syndrome I've read about other Mother 3 carts. We modify them to fit without bulging. I confirmed it to fit fine into DS Lite, GBA SP, and the Gameboy Player.

So maybe thats why it looks like it does? Kinda have to push a little harder (not much but just abit more than normal) to get the GBASP to not have that scrambled Nintendo logo screen, but it works fine other than that.

Also I just noticed my backlit graphite SP volume is kinda quiet compared to front lit versions. Is that another difference between the two, or is it just something wrong with my SP?

Yup, that's what I feared, they took the EZ flash V 3 in 1, and flashed the nor memory with Mother 3 on a DS. And then they took a cart shell and modified it to fit. I did the exact same thing a while back, and it looked just as wonky as that.

Lagiacrusty

Neo Member
I've been itching to pick up advance wars and advance wars 2. I'm trying to get them CIB, but at this point, I'll settle for any lose carts I come across. Any other good turn based strategy games for GBA i should try to find?

I think I have about 12 GBA games, and except for the Pokemon ones may I ask if any of these are rare.

DragonBall Z Taiketsu
DragonBall Z The Legacy of Goku
Super Mario Bros 3
WWE Road to Wrestlemania
Namco Museum
Cartoon Network Block Party
Golden Sun
Crash Bandicoot Purple
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Spider-Man

If anyone doesn't feel like telling me if any of these games are rare or just don't have the time. Could you link me to a good site that can tell me. I'm not planning on selling them in particular but i just want t know if I have any rare or good ones.

Teknoman

Yup, that's what I feared, they took the EZ flash V 3 in 1, and flashed the nor memory with Mother 3 on a DS. And then they took a cart shell and modified it to fit. I did the exact same thing a while back, and it looked just as wonky as that.

Well, as long as the cart doesnt eventually break apart or anything like that, i'm good. It seems pretty sturdy, and i've heard good reviews on their other repros (NES, SNES). For now i'm just happy to play Mother 3 in english on real hardware.

Glad you could confirm thats the way its...supposed to look though. Had a passing thought that something happened during delivery.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So does anyone here know if there's a market for rare e-Cards? I discovered a couple of years ago that I apparently own the holy grail:

I remember purchasing a demo pack of four e-Cards that were apparently distributed at E3 to demo the device months before it came out. Along with Kirby, there were two Pokemon cards and a Game-and-Watch card. All four are extremely rare but Kirby is the rarest because all of the "winner" cards were presumably redeemed and destroyed. I have two of the other three cards in the set, but sadly I lost one of the two Pokemon cards. It's still kind of a cool thing to have.

Timeless

So does anyone here know if there's a market for rare e-Cards? I discovered a couple of years ago that I apparently own the holy grail:

Kirby

I remember purchasing a demo pack of four e-Cards that were apparently distributed at E3 to demo the device months before it came out. Along with Kirby, there were two Pokemon cards and a Game-and-Watch card. All four are extremely rare but Kirby is the rarest because all of the "winner" cards were presumably redeemed and destroyed. I have two of the other three cards in the set, but sadly I lost one of the two Pokemon cards. It's still kind of a cool thing to have.
Wait, do you have the "winner" Kirby e-Card? Nintendo agents are on their way to properly destroy it right now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wait, do you have the "winner" Kirby e-Card? Nintendo agents are on their way to properly destroy it right now.

hahah, I wish. I got an e-Reader when it released and the first thing I did was swipe my card. It's a loser.

Slermy

I've been itching to pick up advance wars and advance wars 2. I'm trying to get them CIB, but at this point, I'll settle for any lose carts I come across. Any other good turn based strategy games for GBA i should try to find?

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance
Tactics Ogre

I know there were a few others, but the ones above are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

hahah, I wish. I got an e-Reader when it released and the first thing I did was swipe my card. It's a loser.

Did it show an Angry Kirby?

Other than what's already been mentioned, I enjoyed the Shining Force remake (Resurrection of the Dark Dragon). I've heard good things about Yggdra Union also, though I haven't played it myself.

Other than what's already been mentioned, I enjoyed the Shining Force remake (Resurrection of the Dark Dragon). I've heard good things about Yggdra Union also, though I haven't played it myself.

Do not get the GBA version of Yggdra Union, get it for PSP. The GBA version has all kinds of issues they fixed up in the second release. Even the PSP version doesn't fix all of the things I disliked about that game, but if you want to play it, play that version.

Grief.exe

The only games I consider nessecary to complete my collection are

Metroid Zero Mission
Aria of Sorrow
Final Fantasy VI

There are listings for the first two on Craigslist, but they aren't getting back to me. And on top of that they are pretty far away.

And I highly doubt I will find a rare game like FFVI on CL.

redcrayon

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance
Tactics Ogre

I know there were a few others, but the ones above are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Rebelstar: Tactical Command is another, it's by Gollup so it's basically x-com without base-building.

Top Bottom