• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

redcrayon

I've been itching to pick up advance wars and advance wars 2. I'm trying to get them CIB, but at this point, I'll settle for any lose carts I come across. Any other good turn based strategy games for GBA i should try to find?

I've got a pile of a dozen or so GBA carts I'm looking to sell, and am pretty sure those two are amongst them- only problem is I'd be looking to sell the lot if I have to ship them across the pond (am based in the UK). Let me know if that appeals and I'll dig out a list of what I have- it's all legit carts.

The only games I consider nessecary to complete my collection are

Metroid Zero Mission
Aria of Sorrow
Final Fantasy VI

There are listings for the first two on Craigslist, but they aren't getting back to me. And on top of that they are pretty far away.

And I highly doubt I will find a rare game like FFVI on CL.

Aria was later rereleased in a double pack with Harmony and that should be easier to find.

Man, I'm loving how cheap GBA games are. I just picked up Harmony of Dissonance, FFTA, and an import copy of the first F-Zero at a local shop for 15 bucks.

They had a copy of Aria of Sorrow there (what I originally went for) but it was pretty rough. Why can't I seem to find a loose copy in decent shape?

[Edit]

I can't believe I just overlooked the Micro back when it came out. Especially in the face of the ugly ass phat DS. It's just so sexy.

xcT44kH.jpg

Teknoman

I'm still weary about picking up GBA games at local places. Bootleg syndrome...but i'd like to find the Castlevania trio again.

Speaking of which, how was Harmony of Disonnance?

Going to see if I can look into picking up the DKL trilogy. I know they're pretty archaic in te visuals department, but I still want to experience them. A store nearby apparently has Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for $10, too. Gonna see if I can pick that up.

Iight look into one of those proxy bidding sites for Yahoo Auctions JP, because I'd really like to get a copy of the GB version of Gargoyle's Quest II.

I'm still weary about picking up GBA games at local places. Bootleg syndrome...but i'd like to find the Castlevania trio again.

It's easily the weakest of the GBA trilogy, and the music isn't all that great aside from some choice tracks. The combat's interesting enough, and it's still pretty fun at the end of the day.

Teknoman

Very good if you like the style (but surprisingly, the music/sound is headache inducing).

Going to see if I can look into picking up the DKL trilogy. I know they're pretty archaic in te visuals department, but I still want to experience them. A store nearby apparently has Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for $10, too. Gonna see if I can pick that up.

Iight look into one of those proxy bidding sites for Yahoo Auctions JP, because I'd really like to get a copy of the GB version of Gargoyle's Quest II.

It's easily the weakest of the GBA trilogy, and the music isn't all that great aside from some choice tracks. The combat's interesting enough, and it's still pretty fun at the end of the day.

I guess I can deal...but cant really see a Castlevania game with bad music. Are the actual tracks bad, or just the quality of the sound itself? I know Contra EX had problems.

I just picked it up today, so I will be able to let you know after tonight. :D

It's the only IGAvania I haven't played, but from what I've heard it's the weakest of the three on GBA. I think it was because you had to backtrack a lot and that the music quality was subpar.

[Edit] Beaten.

I'm still looking to sell my copy of Ninja Five-o for GBA. Surprised I didn't get much interest in the buy/sell thread. If any of you guys want it - shoot me a PM.

I'd like to play it, but I've got the feeling I won't be playing game until I can find it somewhere on the cheap. :(

I'm still looking to sell my copy of Ninja Five-o for GBA. Surprised I didn't get much interest in the buy/sell thread. If any of you guys want it - shoot me a PM.

I'm willing to wheel and deal for saturn games. I'm also willing to part with it for $80.

I guess I can deal...but cant really see a Castlevania game with bad music. Are the actual tracks bad, or just the quality of the sound itself? I know Contra EX had problems.

The sound quality's kinda weird. From what I understand, the sound quality took a hit to compensate for the graphics. (The graphics itself being made really bright to compensate for the lack of a lit screen on the GBA)

I guess I can deal...but cant really see a Castlevania game with bad music. Are the actual tracks bad, or just the quality of the sound itself?
I'd say both. The sound is kind of screechy, but if I remember correctly, at the time I also thought the actual compositions would have been unmemorable even with good sound.

The graphics are great and the rest is extremely solid, as usual. I had a blast playing it, even if I was spoiled by Aria of Sorrow just before (yeah, should have played them in order). Gameplay's better than Circle of the Moon however (but not the music, obviously).

plc268

I'm willing to wheel and deal for saturn games...or just make me a fair offer!

If most people are like me, I tend to skip by postings that don't have prices.

Great game though.

woodypop

So I just found out that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga enables a rumble feature when played on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player. Is it true that you can play w/2 players that way, too?

Are there any other GBA games that gain cool functionality when played using the Game Boy Player?

woodypop

I'm willing to wheel and deal for saturn games. I'm also willing to part with it for $80.
I'm not a huge fan of the game, but it's probly the best $5 I've spent in a while. =D

E5EEC1D7-E750-4F5E-805C-7AF3613AC20A-6881-00000721029CA099_zpsaf15c516.jpg

2A68A1E0-4C8F-424F-B316-A7A9100D14CB-7295-00000721A3C65AB8_zpscc67bb4e.jpg

(Sucks it had to be at Gamestop though. =p)

Grief.exe

Playing through Aria of Sorrow today. Got to death. Fuck you death.

I just got finished playing that game.

Death is tough.

If you are having trouble grab the lightning doll soul, two spawn right below where you fight Death and it is one of the best souls in the game.

Equip giant ghost soul at the start of the fight, you can deflect the scythes he spawns back into him.

For the second part of the fight take off your ghost soul and put on the wings for slow fall. This is where you should be spamming your lightning doll btw.

When he throws his scythe around the room you can easily jump over it, slow fall, and attack him.

When he lunges at you, just duck or you can jump backwards and slow fall away.

Seriously one of my favorite games now.

Teknoman

So I just found out that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga enables a rumble feature when played on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player. Is it true that you can play w/2 players that way, too?

Are there any other GBA games that gain cool functionality when played using the Game Boy Player?

Really? Mind blown.

Grief.exe

Really? Mind blown.

I'm playing through it right now, if you talk to the guys in bean town they will tell you about that feature.

Didn't hear the two player feature though.

Checking on Craigslist, this is the typical thing I see. People just selling a bunch of shovel ware.

No wonder you are getting rid of your old console, you bought a bunch of garbage games.

This isn't the perfect example since he has a couple of good titles, but other than that this is a pretty typical post.

3I53L83Ja5N65Kb5J9d376b6c1f2c661e1b14.jpg

The_Afroman

My recent Game Boy gets.. I blame this board 100%. I hate you all. ;P

Picked up a Red Game Boy, and did a quick red v4 backlight mod on it. Love it. Hard to take a picture of.

Raife

Should I open my copy of Drill Dozer? I've had it sealed for 7 years.

Yes. Immediately. That game is fantastic! Or since it's sealed, find a cheap copy of it loose or whatever. I don't see it going for much when I come across it. Definitely an excellent game though.

kwheaties

This thread rocks! I didn't realize some of my old boxed gameboy games like metal gear are worth money.

Any good sites for determining values as I continue to expand my collection...

Woah, it does? I've never heard of that. I think Drill Dozer does have rumble on the GC controller, though... there's a rumble motor in the cart of course, but on a GB Player, I think that the GC controller will rumble.

As for Drill Dozer, it's a good game, but some lategame content gets frustrating; I wish that there had been a way to get the drill commands on face buttons and not shoulders, those missions that require extreme precision are made much harder and more frustratingbecause of the controls. Also, apart from that stuff, it's a short game. Worth playing through once at least though.

Slermy

I know "Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire" supports it too, and I think "Super Mario Bros. Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3" does too, but for some reason, this function never works on my GameBoy Player.

redcrayon

You should post a list of what you got.

Someone might take it off your hands or we could do a GAF group buy or something.

Right, here you are- I've had a look around at stuff in comparable condition, and this is what I'd put them on ebay for- I'm really only looking for 75-80% of the total, +postage, to shift it all in one go. A UK buyer would be ideal as they could probably collect it (GBA boxes don't travel well) I'm based near London UK, in Watford.

GameBoy- carts only (all but 2 in the plastic cases)- these are all legit, I bought them myself circa 20 years ago.
Donkey Kong 94 £1
Megaman £6
Megaman 2 £8
Megaman 3 £12
Megaman V (this seems to go for silly money at the moment) £80
Tetris £1
Darkwing Duck £1
Gradius: Interstellar Assaut £12
King of the Zoo £10
Zelda: Links Awakening £10
Bionic Commando £10
Super Mario Lsnd £6
Super Mario Land 2 £6
Wario Land £6

GBA (all legit carts painstakingly collected by me)
Advance Wars- with box (average condition) and manual- no inner box £20
Shining Soul 2- with box (average condition) and manual and inner box £10
METROID zero mission- cart and manual only £10
Golden sun- Cart, manual, inner box, but outer box in poor condition £10
Zelda Minish Cap- open but complete in as-new condition £30
Final Fantasy VI- open and played but otherwise as new condition (this seems to go for silly money) £70
Mario Advance 2- shrink wrapped but a couple of small dents £15
Rebelstar Tactical Command- with manual and outer box in good condition £5
Final Fantasy Tactics- Complete in good condition but outer box has retail sticker on it. £15
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones- Complete in good condition £30
Shining Force Ressurection of Dark Dragon- (great strategy game by the way) complete in reasonable condition £25

Carts only-
Sword of Mana £8
Advance Wars 2 £8
Fire Emblem £20
Metroid Fusion £10
Final Fantasy IV £10

All in all it's a good collection of great games with some gems in it, worth over £450. I'd be looking for £350 the lot, plus postage or buyer collects. I've gone to a lot of trouble over the years to collect this little lot, so hopefully people understand why I want a decent price for it! ;D
In all honesty I'd consider any serious offer though.

I'm a gamer rather than a collector at heart- thats why everything isn't in perfect condition, with the GBA stuff I bought what I could find and wanted to play, as long as it was legit. All of the strategy games and RPGs will have lengthy save files from me on them, at least that helps prove that the batteries work and they are legit carts! :D

It would be a great start to anyone's collection. I can send photos to people's email easily enough with my phone, and if it helps I've been trading my games on Eurogamer for years in case anyone wants a reference- heres some links to people saying nice things about me in the feedback thread there if it helps. If I sound paranoid, its that I know that the GBA market is full of pirated copies- maybe someone can benefit from my lengthy battle to find good stuff!

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/36293?start=1380
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/36293?start=1680

I'll be sad to see them go (particularly Megaman V and the strategy games) but ultimately I need the space. Plus Ms redcrayon would appreciate a nice holiday.

Teknoman

Damn...didnt even try.

Up for sale is castlevania aria of sorrow game comes in see through plastic case.
this a new aftermarket game this one has been produced recently not back in 03
game is identical in looks and game play of the original

I guess thats...sorta...kinda true. Not really aftermarket or identical lol.

woodypop

Okay, to clarify this earlier post:
I got around to trying it out and, yes, the game does enable rumble in the GC controller, but only in controller 1 (the game explicitly states so). And you can kinda play co-op by plugging in a second controller and letting the second player time Luigi's button presses. (But technically, both controllers can control everything.)

gbasmall_zps2f003ecd.jpg

This is my GBA collection, took a long while to find all of these and many I picked up while traveling the world. Many long haul flights were huge GBA gaming sessions.

pikablu

Here's my GBA/GBC/GB collection. I've collected these over the years and I got a few while on a trip to Japan. The only GB/GBA/GBC system I own still is my Gameboy Advance SP. I still have my boxes for my GBA and Original GBC (Not Pictured Here). Also not pictured are the boxes for Cannon Fodder and Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare.

unRdx6u.jpg

edit: Also it looks like I'm missing my sisters copy of Pokemon Blue she gave me. Have literally no clue where that may be. Wonder If I let one of my friends borrow it?

Grief.exe

Tip: When you are searching Craigslist remember to search for odd names as well.

GBA
Game Boy
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advanced

I also search all of those replacing 'game boy' with 'gameboy' without the space.

I just stumbled on a bunch of new entries that I hadn't seen before by putting in Advance and Advanced.

-KRS-

Yeah you can get lucky sometimes with alternate search terms. The best is when the seller doesn't even bother to write down the game name and instead just writes something like "Game Boy Game".

By the way, is Perfect Dark for GBC just really cheap or something? I see one CIB copy in pretty nice condition on a Swedish auction site right now and it's a buy it now listing. It's listed for 99 SEK, which is $15 but with the buying power we have in Sweden you can pretty much think of it as $10. Is this normal? It almost seems to good to be true. But the seller has a great track record. I'm confused. Granted I've never really checked the prices for that game but I thought it was well regarded? Or is the game shitty so no-one wants it? Couldn't find any completed listings on that site unfortunately.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just too used to NES and SNES prices so it seems cheaper than it is. :p
Edit2: Yeah checking ebay it seems $15 is pretty standard. So never mind I guess.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
How does the SP vs Micro comparison usually go? I just ordered an SP (had one/loved it as a kid), but the micro looks so hot in pics. I had one way back in the day, but I didn't appreciate it then.

How does the SP vs Micro comparison usually go? I just ordered an SP (had one/loved it as a kid), but the micro looks so hot in pics. I had one way back in the day, but I didn't appreciate it then.

I'm not really a fan of either ergonomically since I have big hands.
SP would be the better buy though. Cheaper, better screen (assuming you get the AGS-101 backlit model), and compatible with all Game Boy games.

Top Bottom