• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

dokish

Banned
I threw away all my boxes a few years ago when I switched all my games to DS cases with printed covers. That was a dumb move, but since I never plan on selling them, not a big loss. But here's my collection:

I still want to grab some other stuff, especially rpgs, but I'm wary of all the bootlegs out there. Is there a list anywhere of known bootleg carts?

What's the game at Riveira's left?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebelstar:_Tactical_Command

Went with an alternate cover because the original is so ugly.

Was that the Japanese box art or is that fan-made? I used to see the game on shelves a lot late in the GBA's life but never gave it a second thought because the hideous box art made it look like shovelware.

edit: huh, wiki says it never even released in Japan. Must be official art or fanart then.

Wow, I just might invest sending my GBA in for that.

Either that or invest in an AGS-101. (What are the average prices for those, anyway?)

Usually around 30-50 bucks. Depends. Sometimes you can luck out at like a thrift store (like me) and find them for cheaper than that!

Neverfade

wBeiXjz.jpg

Custom faceplate gotten!

johnsmith

remember me
Was that the Japanese box art or is that fan-made? I used to see the game on shelves a lot late in the GBA's life but never gave it a second thought because the hideous box art made it look like shovelware.

edit: huh, wiki says it never even released in Japan. Must be official art or fanart then.
Gez Fry is the artist according to some googling. Looks like a western artist drawing in an anime style, so I think it's official art.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Need a little help guys, I got offered 2 copies from 2 different guys and I was wondering what's the right price to pay for Donkey Kong Country 3 NEW PAL? Games are legit of course, no fakey.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
wBeiXjz.jpg

Custom faceplate gotten!
How is this once it's applied? I was considering ordering one from him, but them not being (as easily) replaceable makes me a bit concerned.

My modded GBA is on its way. I am psyyyyched. I'll pop back with impressions when it comes.

johnsmith

remember me
Everybody says the music is worse, and the color pallet is different. New translation too. But I like it because it fixes so many of the bugs.

Grief.exe

I played through the intro last night, seemed pretty solid though the music quality isn't quite as good.

What is awesome is the save anywhere, perfect for my commute.

Playing through Mario & Luigi can be hit and miss because the save points are pretty generous, but don't always line up.

Here is the intro, guy talks over some of it and ignore his mic feedback, but otherwise gives you a good idea of the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKq0pBudRbQ#t=0m15

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is not new, but it's one of the few things in my videogame collections that I really like:

Mt074Ej.jpg

Complete set of IGAVanias (GBA and DS) and The Brazillian official version of Kirby's Tilt and Tumble (which I played very little of)

Note: Sorry about the tilted angle. It's either that or my shadow above the items.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Man, all of those Castlevanias. That's beautiful.

I hope to not be broke as fuck someday so I can just pay collector price for CIB copies of Legends and Kid Dracula and be done with it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Man, all of those Castlevanias. That's beautiful.

I hope to not be broke as fuck someday so I can just pay collector price for CIB copies of Legends and Kid Dracula and be done with it.

The DS ones I bought as they came out. Before Portrait of Ruin came out I noticed that I could get the other Castlevanias for not much money (only Aria was a little more expensive).

Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance I bought on eBay for cheap (around 40-50 bucks each or something along these lines) and Aria of Sorrow I bought locally (as in, in Brazil) for less than that. It's the US version, and not some bastard Brazilian version with Portuguese writing on the cover (like Kirby's tilt and tumble), thankfully.

They're all complete with manual and cardboard insert. I really like having them.

Grief.exe

Nice!

I was worried when you said craigslist and FFVI. That is just asking for a bootleg copy. That one is legit!

Ya I thought the same thing.

I compared the carts to legit copies and checked the back, it seems to check out.

Will have to open it up to confirm, but it looks pretty real so far.

This is not new, but it's one of the few things in my videogame collections that I really like:

Mt074Ej.jpg

Complete set of IGAVanias (GBA and DS) and The Brazillian official version of Kirby's Tilt and Tumble (which I played very little of)

Note: Sorry about the tilted angle. It's either that or my shadow above the items.

Now that is a nice collection.

I need to find Aria and Order for mine to be complete.

Peagles

How much should I pay for Mother 3 and Mother 1+2? I don't want to get ripped off but I don't mind paying for nice complete copies either!

Parallacs

Ya I thought the same thing.

I compared the carts to legit copies and checked the back, it seems to check out.

Will have to open it up to confirm, but it looks pretty real so far.

You can tell it is probably legit by how well the label is lined up. Legit copies are perfectly lined up.

Even when bootleggers copy the label exactly, they can never put it on correctly.

Grief.exe

Also, tilt the label near a light source. Legit GB, GBC, and GBA games have embossed numbers stamped on the front label (similar to SNES back labels)

edit: quick and dirty example http://i.imgur.com/r5iyzfO.jpg?1

I did not know this, thanks for the advice.

Edit: all of my carts have that lettering.

I've been looking for a GBA SP and Fire Red and Emarald with no luck.

Check Craigslist, I see those all the time.

Maybe not together, but those are generally the most common.

emb

I noticed on eBay earlier copies of Pokemon Shiny Gold, Perla, and Lugia's Ocean versions, all for GBA. Are knock offs like these just GBA Pokemon games with incorrect labels applied, or would they also play like weird knock off games/mods? Thought crossed my mind of buying one just to see what the deal was, but for 20+ bucks I don't think I'd care enough to actually go for it.

johnsmith

remember me
Is it too soon to start a DS collecting thread? I've been buying interesting cheapish CIB games while I still can. I'm up to 50 now. There's a bunch that I kick myself for not grabbing when amazon had on sale for about $12 though, like Solatorobo and Chrono Trigger. I hate how Gamestop mostly only has gutted copies, because they have some decent prices sometimes.

Grief.exe

Is it too soon to start a DS collecting thread? I've been buying interesting cheapish CIB games while I still can. I'm up to 50 now. There's a bunch that I kick myself for not grabbing when amazon had on sale for about $12 though, like Solatorobo and Chrono Trigger. I hate how Gamestop mostly only has gutted copies, because they have some decent prices sometimes.

I have been interested in this, but not to the level of GBA.

I've been checking craigslist for that 'mega haul' where I can pick up a bunch of gems for cheap.

So far its been mostly Barbie Mystery Madness and Call of Duty.

I came home very concerned the copy of Aria of Sorrow I just got in from eBay was a boot. Phew, it's likely not one.

I found one entry for Aria on Craigslist, and the guy lives way up in the mountains and isn't replying to me.

If he ever did I would go for a day of boarding or camping and pick up one of the best games of all time. Would be amazing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The DS ones I bought as they came out. Before Portrait of Ruin came out I noticed that I could get the other Castlevanias for not much money (only Aria was a little more expensive).

Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance I bought on eBay for cheap (around 40-50 bucks each or something along these lines) and Aria of Sorrow I bought locally (as in, in Brazil) for less than that. It's the US version, and not some bastard Brazilian version with Portuguese writing on the cover (like Kirby's tilt and tumble), thankfully.

They're all complete with manual and cardboard insert. I really like having them.

Man, that's some dedication to pay prices like those for your GBA Castlevanias, although I imagine some of that was high S&H cost due to importing. And I used to think what I paid was high...

Dawn of Sorrow was my first Castlevania ever and it's still my favorite DS game, but I waited until a couple of years ago to begin tracking down copies of the GBA games. I had a cart-only Double Pack years ago through which I experienced AoS and HoD, but never actually owned them. This is what I've ended up with after a lot of hunting:

That thing under Dracula X Chronicles is the 20th Anniversary bonus item that was a limited preorder bonus for Portrait of Ruin. Has an OST, a little artbook, and a timeline of events in the Castlevania universe. It's a neat thing.

I also have this:

But it doesn't work. No matter how much I clean the contacts, it either freezes on a black screen after the Game Boy logo or freezes after the Konami logo. DAMMIT AAAAGHHHHH

I also have this:

But it doesn't work. No matter how much I clean the contacts, it either freezes on a black screen after the Game Boy logo or freezes after the Konami logo. DAMMIT AAAAGHHHHH

I have one GB game that almost never works... I've cleaned the contacts many times, but it almost always freezes on the Nintendo logo. It's a good game, so it's frustrating that it almost never functions... but at least that's better than the three completely dead Genesis carts I have.

The weirdest thing, though, is this one Genesis game that doesn't work in my Genesis plugged in directly to the system, but does work (on the same Genesis) through the 32X... and no, it's not a 32X game.

But anyway, yeah, I also have a GB game that usually crashes. No idea what causes it; something must be wrong inside.

Conan-san

I guess I'll share my collection. I try to keep my collection lean, and only collect the good games, or games I have nostalgia for. I have a couple of holes in my collection, but I'm still working on acquiring certain games.

8469286533_1eb1b9b928_b.jpg

8470381790_d2c80b2709_b.jpg

8470381990_aefbfb1e89_z.jpg

And at this point, I'm just showing off...

8470382360_0d11422ae7_b.jpg

As those straight up Trading Card Pockets?

I found a late monochrome Game Boy game in the wild recently. Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon. It's not valuable, but it is pretty uncommon and it was just $1.50!
I was really into monochrome Game Boy games about 2 years ago after I got my import GBL. It'll be nice to get back into it!

Gotta say that bar a few gems, the GBC library in general is pretty bad. At that point developers didn't really know how to make 8-bit games anymore, so they often bit of more than they could chew. Even the good games on GBC usually have a certain sense of technical uneasyness to them

Teknoman

Aww...found a Pokemon Gold/Silver limited GBC...but the sound doesnt work at all. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Well the headphone port puts out perfect sound...so could it still be a capacitor problem or something less serious?

Aww...found a Pokemon Gold/Silver limited GBC...but the sound doesnt work at all. Is there any way to fix this?

I've seen a few DIY videos on YouTube and it's certainly possible. Even if the component's aren't salvageable, Nintendo was really economical with them so if you have any spare systems you can transplant them. I even think the GBA and GBC use the same speaker (or if not, they're still interchangeable).

madp

The Light of El Cantare

EDIT: Well the headphone port puts out perfect sound...so could it still be a capacitor problem or something less serious?

I have the Pokemon GBC that has Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Togepi on it and it has the same exact problem. I've been thinking of purchasing a triwing screwdriver and seeing if I can just swap the frame onto one of my functional GBCs, but it would almost certainly be more complicated than that due to the buttons being special colors and therefore needing to be transplanted as well.

Can you buy triwing screwdrivers offline or am I going to have to resort to the cheap-quality ones on ebay?

The wires to the speaker could be broken... I have one GBC which has almost no sound through the speaker, but works fine with headphones. I think some wires inside got disconnected, but haven't opened it up to check.

Failing that, it could be a capacitor problem, but hopefully it's not that serous.

I noticed on eBay earlier copies of Pokemon Shiny Gold, Perla, and Lugia's Ocean versions, all for GBA. Are knock offs like these just GBA Pokemon games with incorrect labels applied, or would they also play like weird knock off games/mods? Thought crossed my mind of buying one just to see what the deal was, but for 20+ bucks I don't think I'd care enough to actually go for it.
Pokemon Shiny Gold was FR/LG ROMhack. I wasn't aware if it ever got finished (that a common theme with these). Perla is another one but based off R/S judging by the boxart it might add Lucario or something...

So I'd file into counterfeits (I hear Shiny Gold tells you to get a refund if you paid money for it) but not particularly weird ones at that and I'd be dubious at spending over $20 on one anyway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the Kirby game for GB worth getting compared to the NES version?

Is the Kirby game for GB worth getting compared to the NES version?

The original Kirby's Dreamland is really dated. I love it because it was my first Game Boy game, but it'll show its age really easily. Dreamland 2 is a bit more like the modern Kirby games because he can absorb powers from certain enemies. It's also a lot longer.

Both are really easy games though, but I guess that's to be expected with the Kirby franchise.

Anyone see this?
Looks like clone hardware to play GBA games on SNES/SFC
http://getnews.jp/archives/309531

RGfGEmK.gif

Mole Mania (1997) is a relatively obscure GameBoy game considering it was designed in part by Shigeru Miyamoto. It's been sitting quietly in my backlog for awhile now, but I had a hankering for some old-school puzzle gaming and decided to bust it out. I played it on the GameBoy Advance SP and although it doesn't colorize it quite as nicely as on the Super GameBoy, it does a decent job of it.

It's cool to have the actual cart, but thanks to the 3DS eShop you can get its 175 unique puzzle rooms, 8 cleverly-designed bosses, and about 10 hours of game play for a mere $2.99. It's a ridiculously good deal (eShop page).

The basic premise of the game is that Muddy Mole's family has been kidnapped by the farmer Jinbe and spirited away across the land and you have to save them. It plays a bit like classic block-pushing puzzle games like Adventures of Lolo, where you maneuver a wrecking ball around each room to destroy a cement block that barricades the path forward. As in Link's early adventures, Muddy can push, pull, and throw the ball but only moves up, down, left, and right.

There are seven maze-like levels, each consisting of puzzle rooms the size of the GameBoy screen. But because you're a mole, you can also dig underground, and the above and below ground segments can really affect how you solve each puzzle. But you have to be careful because digging holes willy nilly can cause unexpected problems. You're mostly safe from enemies underground until the introduction of hedgehogs which can be a real pain.

Z6aQZhI.jpg
HWLcNmH.jpg

Above and below ground of the same puzzle room

The game introduces all sorts of puzzle elements like barrels (which can be used to fill holes), pipes (which redirect rolling balls or barrels), weights (which stop rolling balls and barrels), and arrow tiles which push balls and barrels in one direction. It starts off simple enough but there are some downright dirty puzzles in the latter half of the game that are super challenging. The bosses are also cleverly designed and quite fun too.

It's too bad Nintendo hasn't revisited this game idea, especially considering the above-and-below ground concept would work really well with the dual-screen aspect of the DS and 3DS. Anyway, since I just finished it I just had to say that this is an incredible little game. Even if you don't consider yourself a fan of this sort of game I would highly recommend you check it out, and for the price you can't really go wrong.

plc268

As those straight up Trading Card Pockets?

Yup.

They don't last though. Over time, the pockets start to rip as you're removing and reinserting the games.

I'm converting my collection to use DS and 3DS cases. I'm sticking the gba games in DS cases, and the GB/GBC in 3ds cases.

Grief.exe

I just saw a massive post on Craigslist for a thrift shop about 20 minutes away from my house.

It looks like the motherload.

They got stacks of NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, and more.

I think I'm going to go check it out tomorrow.

RGfGEmK.gif

Mole Mania (1997) is a relatively obscure GameBoy game considering it was designed in part by Shigeru Miyamoto. It's been sitting quietly in my backlog for awhile now, but I had a hankering for some old-school puzzle gaming and decided to bust it out. I played it on the GameBoy Advance SP and although it doesn't colorize it quite as nicely as on the Super GameBoy, it does a decent job of it.

It's cool to have the actual cart, but thanks to the 3DS eShop you can get its 175 unique puzzle rooms, 8 cleverly-designed bosses, and about 10 hours of game play for a mere $2.99. It's a ridiculously good deal (eShop page).

The basic premise of the game is that Muddy Mole's family has been kidnapped by the farmer Jinbe and spirited away across the land and you have to save them. It plays a bit like classic block-pushing puzzle games like Adventures of Lolo, where you maneuver a wrecking ball around each room to destroy a cement block that barricades the path forward. As in Link's early adventures, Muddy can push, pull, and throw the ball but only moves up, down, left, and right.

There are seven maze-like levels, each consisting of puzzle rooms the size of the GameBoy screen. But because you're a mole, you can also dig underground, and the above and below ground segments can really affect how you solve each puzzle. But you have to be careful because digging holes willy nilly can cause unexpected problems. You're mostly safe from enemies underground until the introduction of hedgehogs which can be a real pain.

Z6aQZhI.jpg
HWLcNmH.jpg

Above and below ground of the same puzzle room

The game introduces all sorts of puzzle elements like barrels (which can be used to fill holes), pipes (which redirect rolling balls or barrels), weights (which stop rolling balls and barrels), and arrow tiles which push balls and barrels in one direction. It starts off simple enough but there are some downright dirty puzzles in the latter half of the game that are super challenging. The bosses are also cleverly designed and quite fun too.

It's too bad Nintendo hasn't revisited this game idea, especially considering the above-and-below ground concept would work really well with the dual-screen aspect of the DS and 3DS. Anyway, since I just finished it I just had to say that this is an incredible little game. Even if you don't consider yourself a fan of this sort of game I would highly recommend you check it out, and for the price you can't really go wrong.

Great post. I <3 Mole Mania. One of my favorite Game Boy games! I was always surprised they didn't make a DS sequel. The 2 screens could have made for a neat above/below ground mechanic.

Top Bottom