• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/WH Rumor: Microsoft dropping basically all Xbox One DRM, announcement today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
Not happening. They'd lose their face image and would admit defeat against Sony.

I don't say it wont happening in one way or the other (like optional disk playback when you're offline but disabling game sharing), but not in now.

They sound like they are at least in the position to, unlike Sony's $599 PS3.

But if they drop this, goodbye Family sharing, right?

Dabanton

At most I could see them lengthen the time needed to check in.

If people don't want to check in why force it? But if so they shouldn't have access to online game sharing etc.

I think that's a fair approach.

aristotle

I had heard this rumor too about 35 minutes ago. Now they're saying it's just a game reveal. *shrug* Supposedly in 2-3 hours.

Take it with a grain of salt ;)

Eusis

I can't imagine it's for real, but if so I'll be more inclined to buy one later on just for the exclusives. Still plan for the PS4 to be my go-to console before PCs curbstomp consoles cheaply again, and even so it'd be the home for non-PC multiplatform games.

Why would microsoft do it, they have Titanfall .................. well someone was gonna say it. I seriously cannot see this happening it would be just too destructive and leave an impression that they don't have any faith in their own product.

Liamario

Banned
I've ordered a PS4 and won't be eating an xbone in the foreseeable future. That said, I hope the rumour is true.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Now I don't even want them to remove it. I want them to learn the leason of DRM and always online is really bad for business. And I want this to show loud and clear to other companies that it's really harmful to treat customers like this.

tumblr_m5h00vjj6g1qf9djko1_400.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hope it's true.

Also, wow, 50+ replies in less than four minutes.

itxaka

Defeatist
Never. When MS fucks something they go until the end with it. See kinect, the Kin, Windows 8, Windows ME, etc...

reddmyst

There was a conversation on twitter about this from a developer (via non-twitter)... It'll be big news apparently, and they were being vague about it.

So it's a good thing it's a rumor for now until it's announced or more info is given.

It would definitely be good news for anti-drm, but the other factors such as price and kinect still don't make it substantially appealing.

Permanently A

"Sources tell us"

Wow, how easy would it be to make that up, get page hits and ad revenue, and then later recant their statements saying their "sources" got it wrong?

Nah, they wouldn't do that.

Console has been built around these policies and MS seems content in all interviews, doubt this is happening.

It would take abysmal sales numbers for them to pull back a bit. Also price/Kinect/spying remain issues.

"Sources tell us"

Wow, how easy would it be to make that up, get page hits and ad revenue, and then later recant their statements saying their "sources" got it wrong?

Nah, they wouldn't do that.

In their defense, it's not like they can say Chad from the Xbox One engineering team texted his friend that works at WhatHifi.

Krakn3Dfx

As a trade-off, the Kinect will now be a wireless, motorized device on wheels that will follow you around the house monitoring your daily activities so that Microsoft can better cater to your gaming preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom