• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/WH Rumor: Microsoft dropping basically all Xbox One DRM, announcement today

Status
Not open for further replies.

creyas

I had heard this rumor too about 35 minutes ago. Now they're saying it's just a game reveal. *shrug* Supposedly in 2-3 hours.

Take it with a grain of salt ;)

Why would microsoft do it, they have Titanfall .................. well someone was gonna say it. I seriously cannot see this happening it would be just too destructive and leave an impression that they don't have any faith in their own product.

Looks like we are getting some more Titanfall footage soon

aristotle

"Sources tell us"

Wow, how easy would it be to make that up, get page hits and ad revenue, and then later recant their statements saying their "sources" got it wrong?

Nah, they wouldn't do that.

Except it's not just from one person. Read up a few posts.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It will be fun to read B3D and hear how they spin it, those guys are cheer-leading every XB1 negative as a positive, especially the "MS is leading the digital future and Sony is in the past..". I can see MS changing their stance with all the backlash, you can't show people the "future" they will accept in five years if you can't sell your console this year.

Sqorgar

Banned
Even if this were true, Microsoft has shown has completely they don't get it, and I just couldn't trust them to not screw me over in the future. You only get one first impression, and the Xbone's was BAD.

VanWinkle

Hmm about two hours ago famousmortimer said this on Twitter:

jthmq3c2cjkni.JPG

He's been right on with stuff before...

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not to be a jerk, but I doubt an unheard of site (at least on my end), will have this big of an exclusive and doesn't even tag it as a rumor.

What's even more annoying here is, even if you email Microsoft PR, they won't reply. :( Been that way since this whole DRM, "always-on" thing kicked into high hear. Can't get them to give an official statement since they don't want anymore negative press.

EDIT: Well, if the statements above are true, then we're in for a treat?! But this isn't just MS' only problem. There's Kinect being mandatory, used games, $100 more expensive, but this is definitely a good start.

IMBored

Ryan from GB was saying that today would be a fun day, and Brad just tweeted that daily dota may be cancelled due to somethings.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I wanna read: "Confirmed rumor: MS to backtrack on force choking customers with Kinect".

But sure, remove the DRM as well, even though not very likely.

border

So basically this would mean that all games install to the hard drive, but you need the disc spinning in the BR drive to play a particular game. That would be really great news.

And I suppose you'd have to kill or significantly scale back the Family Share program (which was probably a lot more limited and scaled back than people were imagining anyway).

Unlikely. They are firmly entrenched in pushing their family share (which they still haven't fully detailed) as well as games using the cloud for various processes.

So unless games are going to be reworked and they've dropped family share, this is BS.

SRTtoZ

Hmm...

Maybe this isnt bullshit after all. The problem is they hurt their reputation with a ton of gamers already.

heyitsphil

Neo Member
awesome if true, and i would give major props to microsoft for backtracking due to consumer outcry even though they will look stupid.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
"Sources tell us"

Wow, how easy would it be to make that up, get page hits and ad revenue, and then later recant their statements saying their "sources" got it wrong?

Nah, they wouldn't do that.
Welcome to news? Most places just say sources.

quickwhips

darn it now no more friends shares if this is true? I would rather have drm and share with 10 people and have always online console. I was looking forward to not having to buy everygame my friends do. I doubt this is true.

My sources are telling me its not true.

FluxWaveZ

I thought I was more impartial than this, but I feel... that this shouldn't happen? I guess if they would come out and say, "hey, we were idiots for trying this in the first place" and were sincere about their "mistake" modern Sony style, I'd feel a bit better.

Walshicus

So basically this would mean that all games install to the hard drive, but you need the disc spinning in the BR drive to play a particular game. That would be really great news.

And I suppose you'd have to kill or significantly scale back the Family Share program (which was probably a lot more limited and scaled back than people were imagining anyway).

I suppose you could just limit the Family Share program to non-disc copies of games bought through the Marketplace.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If Microsoft does this today, I'll honestly be surprised. Talk about eating crow, holy shit.

Those famousmortimer tweets need to be quoted more, lol.

Megasoum

Banned
They won't do any backtrack until they see the sales by the end of the year.

They already know exactly how many they will sell before the end of the year since they make so little of them and they will be sold out for the first couple of months...

Aka it's the Wii all over again. They actually control how many units they are selling by underproducing the thing to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom