• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Virtual Console for Wii U Debuts This Year, with F-Zero and more!

Drago

Japan: Basically every major GBA 1st party franchise, barring Pokémon. (Some even have all their games already on)
Western World: 2 Mario titles, Metroid fusion and a vague promise of "AND MORE..."

They aren't even Japanese exclusive titles. Why delay them at all?

Seriously, seeing Japan's lineup puts the NA one to shame. It's to be expected but come the fuck on NoA/Iwata/whoever is in charge

Still happy it's finally coming though. Took WAY too long

khaaan

Man, errboddy in here is such a downer. I would like these on the 3DS as well but I'm just as happy to have them on the pad.

Caelestis

I would have cared a few weeks ago or if at least this would be on 3DS. Now I just bought the actual games that I cared about. Meh.

At this point this is getting ridiculous. It's really frustrating that they're not releasing Handheld VC games on their fucking handheld. Are they thinking people are gonna start buy a Wii U for GBA VC. What the hell is going on at Nintendo? Who is making all these stupid fucking decisions?

Games are games. Games born as handheld games made it to home consoles successfully and vice-versa, so that argument is moot.

I'm guessing it's much easier to have them running on more powerful hardware. Heard that the 3DS ambassador GBA games had issues.

The GBA ambassador games had some issues because they weren't treated like normal VC releases. They weren't running in custom emulators, they were running in GBA mode of the DS mode of the 3DS.

I understand why they wouldn't release them like that to the general public for sale, but c'mon, treat them like your other VC games and get them custom emulators!

FINALLY! I can't wait! Glad to finally have a release date.

Also lol at everyone complaining about no 3DS. Its not happening because 3DS can't software emulate GBA games. (Ambassadors are hardware emulated.) and Nintendo won't do it any other way.

Linkyn

I'm ok with this. If I was ready to buy the GBA add-on for the Gamecube, I can definitely see myself buying GBA games as VC on the Wii U.

I really hope the "more" includes Golden Sun 1&2 (fingers crossed since 1 was in the JP direct).

thomaser

Like most in this thread, I don't understand why the handheld games aren't playable on a handheld....

Because of technical reasons. It has been confirmed a number of times. The 3DS architecture makes it extremely hard or impossible to run GBA-games perfectly with the usual Virtual Console bells and whistles (save points, sleep mode etc).

Lebon14

Golden Sun! Hope it comes to EU/US

Even if I have the original cartridges, I can't wait to buy them again... to hopefully fund the 4th game for the 3DS. I like Lost Age more but, hey... Golden Sun. 650 yen = probably 6.99$ in the US.

Dryk

FINALLY! I can't wait! Glad to finally have a release date.

Also lol at everyone complaining about no 3DS. Its not happening because 3DS can't software emulate GBA games. (Ambassadors are hardware emulated.) and Nintendo won't do it any other way.
I'm usually the last person to complain about Nintendo's underpowered hardware. But if you can't emulate GBA games on modern tech then you've fucked up. Doubly so seeing as the VC is supposed to be one of their big strengths, but they've squandered that in almost every way possible by now.

Tsunamo

650 yen's a good price for GBA games, hope it's about the same on the Australian eShop for them.

They'll be more expensive

HUELEN10

I will have to wait and see how the games look before committing as this is one case where VC might not be the best way to play; I have a GB Player with component cables.

Drago

I will have to wait and see how the games look before committing as this is one case where VC might not be the best way to play; I have a GB Player with component cables.

GBA games can supposedly scale up perfectly to the GamePad resolution. I really want to see one in action

Siliconera also mentions WarioWare, Wario Land and Mario Tennis for Japan.

god damn
fuck you nintendo of america

Madao

3DS Ambassadors should get a discount on the games that were part of the Ambassador program if they link both systems with a NNID.

but since Nintendo is extremely greedy and stupid, this won't happen.

Really looking forward to Metroid Fusion. I just really hope Nintendo's done with this 50Hz shit, because I'm not doing it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Making these Wii U instead of 3DS is RIDICULOUS.

Exactly what I thought. Same with NDS.

Would love to have these on the go (and smaller screen) with the 3DS, but zero interest in owning these on the Wii U.

GeeDuhb

Games are games. Games born as handheld games made it to home consoles successfully and vice-versa, so that argument is moot.

I'm guessing it's much easier to have them running on more powerful hardware. Heard that the 3DS ambassador GBA games had issues.

I understand games are games. Put them on the WiiU, that's fine. But FFS, put them on the 3DS too. Yes, there were some issues with the ambassador games, but that was...what, going on 3 years ago? They must have developed a better way to do it by now...

And for one of the first games to be yet another instance of an original with a sequel coming out soon on the 3DS...yet lets just keep it on the console yet again...

Blues1990

I'm honestly not that interested in the Virtual Console anymore, given that it will take 1,000 years for a game to be released (at least as far as Europe & North America are concerned), along with the questionable quality the emulation is.

Oh, and cross-compatibility between the Nintendo Wii U & 3DS, but that is probably out of the question at this point.

With DS and now GBA games coming to Wii U...wha...what if they really are going to try that "VC Machine" thing? Should we hype.

Arguably, I can see the reason why they're going with Wii U over 3DS, they're probably trying to entice people to buy wii U with nostalgia. I wouldn't mind having them on 3DS though, and in the least, maybe crossbuy would fix this/will eventually solve this problem.

Actually, wasn't there some problem with having GBA games on 3DS? I thought there was some sort of porting problem with it or something like that.

Grizzo

No word on the DS games on Wii U.

And yeah, GBA games should have been released a long time ago on 3DS. I guess Nintendo still didn't manage to overcome their technical issues...

So does this prove that FX chip SNES games can't be emulated by Nintendo? I mean, why put out the GBA version of Yoshi when the SNES version is an option?

Top Bottom