• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Virtual Console for Wii U Debuts This Year, with F-Zero and more!

Madao

Really looking forward to Metroid Fusion. I just really hope Nintendo's done with this 50Hz shit, because I'm not doing it.

50hz doesn't exist with GBA games because they were on a handheld originally and the screens were the same across the world, unlike consoles which are tied to the TVs of the region.

Blues1990

Simply put, Wii VC kicks the shit out of Wii U VC, specially with NES games.

It's not just limited to the NES Wii U Virtual Console games, but some of the SNES games are affected, too. (Kirby Super Star being the biggest offender, with the colours & screen brightness being toned down from the SNES original.)

Jucksalbe

Banned
So does this prove that FX chip SNES games can't be emulated by Nintendo? I mean, why put out the GBA version of Yoshi when the SNES version is an option?

Not really, they had multiple versions of the same game on the Wii VC, so they could still release both. But I wouldn't hope for the SNES version to release anytime soon.

Madao

So does this prove that FX chip SNES games can't be emulated by Nintendo? I mean, why put out the GBA version of Yoshi when the SNES version is an option?

must be legal issues.

i recall that Argonaut made that chip and there's bad blood between them and Nintendo (someone please shed some light into this if you have more info)

there's absolutely no way it isn't possible from a technical standpoint. Nintendo got emulation for _N64_ working on _Wii_. why wouldn't it be possible to emulate an earlier console than N64 in a newer console than Wii (especially with a big power jump)?

HUELEN10

Emulators have been around for almost a decade now.

Why should anyone care?

Because getting the hardware to dump your own ROMs, configure your controllers, and finding an emulator that plays it at 100 percent takes a lot of time and money, not to mention getting it all hooked up nicely to your TV.

HUELEN10

must be legal issues.

i recall that Argonaut made that chip and there's bad blood between them and Nintendo (someone please shed some light into this if you have more info)

Interesting if true...

What they need to do is go to England with some money, and come out with Christian Whitehead's Yoshi's Island, complete with 16:9 support exclusively for Wii U.

JoeM86

The reason it's coming to the Wii U over the 3DS is because the 3DS is not actually capable of emulating GBA games. It can do it the way the Ambassador games did by storing it in the console's RAM and running it in DS mode. However, all 3DS features are gone then. The 3DS itself cannot emulate GBA games itself perfectly.

People seem to forget that it's hard to get perfect software emulation. If they could do it, they would.

Emulators have been around for almost a decade now.

Why should anyone care?

Because not everyone wants to break the law

Rlan

I do hope Nintendo aren't total dicks about 3rd parties putting up their games. The Majority of Sega's GBA catalog was quality.

Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Sonic Pinball Party
Chu Chu Rocket
Puyo Pop Fever
Columns Crown
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Gunstar Super Heroes
Jet Grind Radio
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Shining Soul

Drago

North America and Europe launch lineup:
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  • Yoshi's Island: SMA3

Japan launch lineup:
April 3:
  • Super Mario World: SMA2
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  • Advance Wars 1+2
  • Golden Sun
  • F-Zero Maximum Velocity
April 30:
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Wario Land 4
  • Mario Tennis Power Tour
  • Metroid Fusion

...I wish I knew the reason as to why Nintendo refuses to release THEIR OWN SOFTWARE in every region simultaneously. Jesus.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This fucking company.....

Not n64
Not Gamecube
Not DS

Fucking GBA!!!

Wii U should have every Snes, NES, Gamecube, and N64 game available

3ds should have every GB, NES, DS, and GBA game available.

HUELEN10

The reason it's coming to the Wii U over the 3DS is because the 3DS is not actually capable of emulating GBA games. It can do it the way the Ambassador games did by storing it in the console's RAM and running it in DS mode. However, all 3DS features are gone then. The 3DS itself cannot emulate GBA games itself perfectly.

People seem to forget that it's hard to get perfect software emulation. If they could do it, they would.
Agreed. Even if they could do it by some coding miracle, they already said GBA VC games on 3DS were exclusive and for a limited time. Why does anyone not take them seriously on this one?

gerudoman

And to think that one of the reasons I bought a 3DS years ago was the GBA VC... I guess I'll have to stick to my DS Lite forever.

Because getting the hardware to dump your own ROMs, configure your controllers, and finding an emulator that plays it at 100 percent takes a lot of time and money, not to mention getting it all hooked up nicely to your TV.

The only thing in this post that takes any kind of effort, money, or time at all is the rom dump hardware.

...I wish I knew the reason as to why Nintendo refuses to release THEIR OWN SOFTWARE in every region simultaneously. Jesus.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Even now, when they're struggling everywhere outside of Japan (and even more tellingly, are actually beginning to publicly admit it), they're doggedly pursuing the same strategy of "focus everything on Japan, release a limited selection of things everywhere else".

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No 3ds. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I'd be much more apt to use it on 3DS.

That said, I'm pretty sure I played all the GBA I wanted back in the day, and I'm not itching to replay any of them. So more or less moot for me anyway.

Balb

Seriously. Where the fuck are the 64 titles?

Meh. I really think N64 games should be played on original hardware. As weird as that controller was, pretty much every game was designed specifically for it. It doesn't feel right to play games like Star Fox 64 on any other controller.

I actually want a fair amount of those games, but too fucking bad I don't want to see a 240x160 game on my HDTV!

And there's no chance they'll bump up the resolution. This is such shit. C'mon Nintendo, you're better than this.

Lebon14

QFT.
Seriously guys, stop whining. At least you are getting GBA VC.

I also find it strange though that there are no N64 games yet though. For GameCube, I don't think that there'll be a VC because it'll require a sh*tload of power to emulate and, as we all know, the WiiU isn't exactly a power-house. If you need Intel Core i (or at least Quad-Cores) to emulate GC on PC, that fact alone explains a lot. If there are GC games on WiiU, they'll be HD ports like WWHD was. That seems more realistic.

HUELEN10

I actually want a fair amount of those games, but too fucking bad I don't want to see a 240x160 game on my HDTV!

And there's no chance they'll bump up the resolution. This is such shit. C'mon Nintendo, you're better than this.

Are.. are you serious? Have you played GBA games on an HDTV? They look gorgeous, even moreso with a scanline generator to your chain.

gerudoman

They never announced GBA games for 3DS, so why would you buy a 3DS for that?

Well, I thought it was a logical step, in the same manner the Wii had VC games from 2 generations behind (N64). The GBA didn't have a reputation for being particularly difficult to emulate either.

Artorias

Banned
This would be semi exciting if I thought they were going to release anything worthwhile or hard to find at a decent price.

They're going to do the 10 games from Ambassador service, another 10 or so for good measure and then forget about it, since nobody will be buying the boring shit they put on there. I'm a huge GBA fan but this is a joke. What a waste of time for the 10 people involved.

entremet

North America and Europe launch lineup:
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  • Yoshi's Island: SMA3

Japan launch lineup:
April 3:
  • Super Mario World: SMA2
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  • Advance Wars 1+2
  • Golden Sun
  • F-Zero Mximum Velocity
April 30:
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Wario Land 4
  • Mario Tennis Power Tour
  • Metroid Fusion

Same old bullshit from Nintendo and regionally VC releases.

Jucksalbe

Banned
They're going to do the 10 games from Ambassador service, another 10 or so for good measure and then forget about it, since nobody will be buying the boring shit they put on there. I'm a huge GBA fan but this is a joke. What a waste of time for the 10 people involved.

Japan, at least, has a very decent lineup already. We'll see what this means for the West, but at least Superstar Saga is a game I'm very looking forward to and this wasn't part of the ambassador games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder what's going to happen with Advance Wars. I know it was originally released as a duel pack in Japan, but it would be a bit unfair if we have to buy the two separately.

Yay Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!

Boo no 3DS. I would give seriously ridiculous amounts of money to be able to play SS again on a portable. Still the best of the M&L series.

Are.. are you serious? Have you played GBA games on an HDTV? They look gorgeous, even moreso with a scanline generator to your chain.

If they end up looking good, I'll pick them up, no questions asked. But Nintendo doesn't do resolution bumps or fancy graphical stuff, they do straight emulation. That means 240x160 resolution, which then my TV (or the Wii U) has to upscale to 1080p. Sorry if I'm not confident that those games will look good.

Top Bottom