• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Virtual Console for Wii U Debuts This Year, with F-Zero and more!

Nintendo! I don't want a shitty down port of Yoshi's Island, thanks. I know you'll use this version as an excuse NOT to release the SNES version, and to that I say, fuck you.

Also, I guess N64 games on Wii U aren't in the cards now it seems.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
QFT.
Seriously guys, stop whining. At least you are getting GBA VC.

I also find it strange though that there are no N64 games yet though. For GameCube, I don't think that there'll be a VC because it'll require a sh*tload of power to emulate and, as we all know, the WiiU isn't exactly a power-house. If you need Intel Core i (or at least Quad-Cores) to emulate GC on PC, that fact alone explains a lot. If there are GC games on WiiU, they'll be HD ports like WWHD was. That seems more realistic.
This is what's wrong with blind fans.

Are they seriously releasing GBA games on Wii U only in order to try and boost sales? Pathetic. Handheld games should be available on the handheld console.

Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, etc.

Ridley327

must be legal issues.

i recall that Argonaut made that chip and there's bad blood between them and Nintendo (someone please shed some light into this if you have more info)

there's absolutely no way it isn't possible from a technical standpoint. Nintendo got emulation for _N64_ working on _Wii_. why wouldn't it be possible to emulate an earlier console than N64 in a newer console than Wii (especially with a big power jump)?

I don't know any real particulars, but Argonaut has been dead for nearly a decade now.

steveovig

Don't you think they would have released a big game like Yoshi's Island already, if they could? It probably has to do with the Super FX chip, same with Star Fox. Be happy we're getting the GBA version or just go get the SNES cart, as it's not too expensive.

Are they seriously releasing GBA games on Wii U only in order to try and boost sales? Pathetic. Handheld games should be available on the handheld console.

Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, etc.
They aren't putting it on Wii U because of poor sales... it's because their GBA system on 3DS is a janky as hell solution that can't be applied to a wide amount of games like true emulation can be.

terrisus

It's not against the rules to discuss emulation, only piracy... and when a Wii U (with a hacked Wii mode) can emulate all of these games that Nintendo is JUST NOW starting to release on VC, and in only a few at a time increments... it's a fairly valid statement.

Emulation of GBA games on the Wii U has (as the post I quoted stated) been around for almost a decade?

Well the fact that GC games can still be run on the Wii U natively through the Wii means we can get a VC of it. It just won't be emulated it'll have to be specially made for the Wii U. I'm sure they can work something out for that.

As for GBA games I hope we'll actually see a wide variety of them when they start to come out.

Kriken

They announced GBA games on Wii U VC last year long before the horrible sales numbers came in. They're just finally living up to what they promised

Shaanyboi

Banned
The lack of crossbuy is heavily disappointing at this point. I want Golden Sun everywhere. Also, I hope there aren't egregious inconsistencies in regional VC releases. If NA has to wait forever for Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc., it'll be nothing short of frustrating.

Right. The Wii U simply isn't capable of emulating the N64.

It's perfectly capable of doing so, it's no so easy with "perfect emulation" which is the bigger problem. I was listening to a 3 year old RFN podcast today where they note that in less than half the time Sony had almost twice as many retro Sony games on PSN than Nintendo had on VC in NA. Why? Sony goes with good enough and gets things out there, Nintendo demands perfection and so is limited in releases (especially when new hardware comes out). Sony also charges a heck of a lot less and has crossbuy, but that's for another thread.

MrDaravon

The lack of crossbuy is heavily disappointing at this point. I want Golden Sun everywhere. Also, I hope there aren't egregious inconsistencies in regional VC releases. If NA has to wait forever for Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc., it'll be nothing short of frustrating.

Bwhahahahahahaha

A decade... wow you must be quite young. We've had SNES emus since mid 1995 (though more seriously in 96 and beyond). Even before that, there were atari 1 emus for systems in the early 90's (or late 80's).

Emulators have been around about as long as there have been PCs capable of emulating another or earlier machine.

I'm 18, but I'm well aware of that. I just looked up the earliest release of VisualBoyAdvance, which was 8 years ago, and thought "meh, close enough."

I was clearly trying to invoke what? Are you seriously implying that no one can own a digital title?

Okay how about this: Some people don't like pirating. Happy now?
I realize I didn't explain this very well, but the point I was trying to make was that there's no difference between a file on your computer OBTAINED THROUGH TOTALLY LEGIT AND NON-ILLEGAL MEANS and one on your Wii U. Personally, if I really wanted to "own" a game, I'd get my hands on a physical copy.

As for your second point, fair enough.

The Hermit

Nintendo is totally lost.

They first announce VC for the DS then they announce VC for the GBA... both on the ultra popular WiiU.

Nintendo dropped the ball waayyyyy back at the end of the golden-era of the Wii on the west. I remember a lot of people (even Dragona and ex-poster and mod) calling it was fucked, because they weren't keeping up the momentum.

And now with their portable market in serious danger, they are firing at all directions.

oh well

EDIT: I forgot they announced that an year ago... it took them long enough though

tebunker

Banned
I figured I would see more people pissed that Japan clearly gets more and better VC games again. Does the west just not buy enough of these?

As for the other systems that were on the Wii VC, I think a couple things are at play, with the Wii the rules were so archaic and stupid that most of the companies didn't make money, and then with the Wii U they clearly haven't made it cost effective to release the games on the U VC.

Nintendo is indeed goobering this up bad. How effing hard is it to give us the games we want to give them money for.

steveovig

The Japan lineup is great. Hopefully the rest come our way sooner rather than later. I'd love to play the Kirby games on the gamepad.

Not sooner, later, my friend. Much later.

Does this mean that we also get another version of Urban Champion? Wasn't there a GBA version? I know there was an e-reader version.

Drago

I'm confused, which games are America getting at launch, and which ones are Japan getting?
North America and Europe launch lineup:
Sometime in April, no price given
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  • Yoshi's Island: SMA3

Japan launch lineup:
Games are 650¥ each
April 3:
  • Super Mario World: SMA2
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  • Advance Wars 1+2
  • Golden Sun
  • F-Zero Maximum Velocity
April 30:
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
  • Wario Land 4
  • Mario Tennis Power Tour
  • Metroid Fusion

I wish I knew the reasoning behind the total lack of info and releases in the West.

steveovig

Some time in April, lol! That Japan price sounds good though. I hope they'll be close to that in NA and Europe. I can deal with that.

Somnid

I wish I knew the reasoning behind the total lack of info and releases in the West.

Japanese licenses are likely easier to negotiate (and for the teams to work on) plus there's usually between 50% - 100% more releasable games in Japan.

At first I had zero interest but then I saw Golden Sun. I never played the second one.

I patiently await crossbuy with 3DS, or even the next Nintendo handheld would be okay. Playing this only on the Wii U would be weird to say the least.

At first I had zero interest but then I saw Golden Sun. I never played the second one.

I patiently await crossbuy with 3DS, or even the next Nintendo handheld would be okay. Playing this only on the Wii U would be weird to say the least.

Cross-buy? Not going to happen as long as people happily spent money to 'upgrade' their VC games from the Wii to the Wii U.

Fox Mulder

maybe they can't get it working on the 3ds for some reason. The ambassador games work in a half assed way.

the VC will probably always be like this. I doubt it'll ever match the varied library built up on the Wii with third party support. It's also far easier to get rights in Japan apparently.

Drago

Japanese licenses are likely easier to negotiate (and for the teams to work on) plus there's usually between 50% - 100% more releasable games in Japan.
But these are all first party releases, what is there to negotiate? I could understand somewhat if third party games were there but these games are all outright owned by Nintendo. There shouldnt be any licensing issues putting them out unless I'm more ignorant about these things than I thought. And we could have at the very least been given a date and price for the games that are coming. :/

Maybe they know they won't have many third party releases in western regions so they're saving their load or something. Sucks either way.

I wonder if the handheld games should be on a handheld complained about the NES VC on the 3DS. Games made for home consoles should be on home consoles, after all.

In serious though, I'm glad this is finally coming. I dunno about the West, but Iwata apologised for taking 13 months since the first announcement to talk about GBA games on the Wii U. They did announce N64 games at the same time last year, iirc, so hopefully they're not too far behind (i.e. sometime this year), along with the DS games. I'm quite happy with the early line-up, too. Gonna be an expensive month.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The heck? I got Metroid Fusion on my 3DS. How the hell is this only on WiiU? I swear, Nintendo is pulling some strings on their consumers.

Somnid

But these are all first party releases, what is there to negotiate? I could understand somewhat if third party games were there but these games are all outright owned by Nintendo. There shouldnt be any issues putting them out unless I'm more ignorant about these things than I thought. And we could have at least been given a date and price for the games. :

Maybe they know they won't have many third party releases in western regions so they're saving their load or something. Sucks either way.

It's pretty obvious that they would like to keep a persistent schedule rather than blowing their load and having to wait several months with nothing. In Japan they can push more and still have stuff to fill the pipe. I think on Wii VC Japan had about 50% more games which means 50% more games per week on average.

DVCY201

Will get LoZ: The Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion when they become available, hopefully the wait will not be too long.

Might get the Kirby GBA games and Fusion for the Wii U, but as much as I want it I can't justify Advance Wars. Definitely a game I'd prefer portable, and if it gets a 3DS release I don't see Nintendo offering crossbuy at that point. Nintendo handles this sort of thing terribly.

illadelph

We need Ninja Five-O on this so, you know, people can actually play it

doubt it will happen at the rate games actually come out

khaaan

Although I agree that GBA games should be available on the 3DS, that doesn't make any sense. A significant portion of the GBA library was made up of SNES ports/remakes and occasionally from some other system. Most of the original games on the system were also styled similarly but even if they weren't there's no reason not to put the games on the WiiU.

Protag

Banned
Makes absolutely no sense

Handheld titles should be on the 3ds

Gamecube titles should be on Wii u

Metroid prime
Eternal darkness
F-zero
Mario sunshine
Fire Emblem: path of radiance
Etc.

Gameboy advance titles on 3ds

Metroid zero mission
Metroid fusion
Fire emblem
Those mentioned in the direct
Etc

But instead they dont do this.

Why? This makes NO sense. How do people not see this. Am i crazy?

CDX

Don't you think they would have released a big game like Yoshi's Island already, if they could? It probably has to do with the Super FX chip, same with Star Fox. Be happy we're getting the GBA version or just go get the SNES cart, as it's not too expensive.
It'd be unlikely to be a Super FX emulation issue, at least on the Wii U.

If it's a Super FX patent issue

patents only last 20 years...

p62gjJN.png

Drago

I'm genuinely surprised that NoJ didn't announce Mother 3 on Japanese Wii U's with the GBA lineup. Aren't they hard up for cash?
They're waiting for the official English localization to finish up before they announce a worldwide release of the game, duh.

let me dream

Exile20

Nintendo is totally lost.

They first announce VC for the DS then they announce VC for the GBA... both on the ultra popular WiiU.

Nintendo dropped the ball waayyyyy back at the end of the golden-era of the Wii on the west. I remember a lot of people (even Dragona and ex-poster and mod) calling it was fucked, because they weren't keeping up the momentum.

And now with their portable market in serious danger, they are firing at all directions.

oh well

EDIT: I forgot they announced that an year ago... it took them long enough though

This post is just full of wow, just wow. smh

onipex

I wonder if the people complaining about GBA games on the Wii U realize that DS VC will also be coming to the Wii U. When Nintendo does something backwards they double down.

This makes me think that Nintendo was more forward thinking with the Wii U than they were with the 3DS. The Wii U launched with Nintendo Network, has the web framework, Unity, Construct, and Miiverse. Iwata did say they will use what they did with the Wii U to build on their next platform so maybe that platform will use the Wii U VC/ eshope but not the 3DS.

Top Bottom