• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Virtual Console for Wii U Debuts This Year, with F-Zero and more!

Glass Joe

I'm glad to see Nintendo keeping their word. With the announcement being well over a year ago, I figured that was a broken promise. Hopefully the next Direct will have some news about N64 then, which I believe they announced at the same time as GBA.

Did a Japanese Direct ever mention PC-Engine or MSX games coming out? Those seemed to pop-up out of the blue. Seriously, if they could get GBA, TG-16, DS, and Genesis (where are you, Sega?) games to start coming out along side the NES/SNES stuff, that would be great. That's why the VC seems so drip-fed, it's only supporting a fraction of the consoles.

And booo on the Yoshi's Island announcement. That's just Nintendo half-assing things so they don't have to properly made the far superior SNES one.

terrisus

I'm genuinely surprised that NoJ didn't announce Mother 3 on Japanese Wii U's with the GBA lineup. Aren't they hard up for cash?

No. They have piles of money.

And, while easily the best game of the past 10 years, it's not like Mother 3 would be some crazy cash-printing machine anyway.

cluderi

If they take this seriously I might get interested but being in Europe I'm expecting them to dribble out 1 title a month while avoiding the good stuff.

Someone posted on facebook that GBA games were coming to VC and I just assumed it was 3DS. I can't open game sites at work and I'm pretty pissed right now after thinking all night about what games I wanted to play again in my 3DS.

JoeM86

Someone posted on facebook that GBA games were coming to VC and I just assumed it was 3DS. I can't open game sites at work and I'm pretty pissed right now after thinking all night about what games I wanted to play again in my 3DS.

Unfortunately, it's just not possible.

If Nintendo were willing to settle for less than 100%, then sure it could be. However, Nintendo wants the emulation of games to be perfect and that is not possible

Hell, one man a couple of years ago built a 3GHz behemoth in order to try and get perfect SNES emulation http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

The GBA runs off of a similar principle.

Yes, Nintendo could in theory do it like they did the Ambassador programme games, but that's not sustainable. The games exit 3DS mode. There are no added features. It's just playing a GBA game loaded onto the RAM of the console and booting it in DS mode as if it was a Slot 2 game. You will have no StreetPass, no Friend Notifications, no Miiverse, no save states. It'd just play it. In Nintendo's eyes, that's not good enough.

greg400

Banned
What's the verdict on Mario Advance 2 & 3 on GBA vs Mario World and Yoshi's Island on SNES?

I know there's a drop in audio quality going from SNES to GBA.

HUELEN10

What's the verdict on Mario Advance 2 & 3 on GBA vs Mario World and Yoshi's Island on SNES?

I know there's a drop in audio quality going from SNES to GBA.
Both are superior. SMAdv2 has better controls and awesome Luigi gameplay, as well as Yoshi AND Peach coin quests with cutscenes to boot, and SMAdv3 has more levels.

If Nintendo were willing to settle for less than 100%, then sure it could be. However, Nintendo wants the emulation of games to be perfect and that is not possible

Hell, one man a couple of years ago built a 3GHz behemoth in order to try and get perfect SNES emulation http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Yes, Nintendo could in theory do it like they did the Ambassador programme games, but that's not sustainable. The games exit 3DS mode. There are no added features. It's just playing a GBA game loaded onto the RAM of the console and booting it in DS mode as if it was a Slot 2 game. You will have no StreetPass, no Friend Notifications, no Miiverse, no save states. It'd just play it. In Nintendo's eyes, that's not good enough.

While I think you are spot on, specially on the 100 percent part, you have to admit that they have been getting slightly shoddy lately. Case in point, NES games on Wii VC vs Wii U VC, the difference is night and day.

JoeM86

While I think you are spot on, specially on the 100 percent part, you have to admit that they have been getting slightly shoddy lately. Case in point, NES games on Wii VC vs Wii U VC, the difference is night and day.

If you're talking about the colours seeming washed out, I agree.

Burgers

Neo Member

As someone currently getting their bachelors in Software Engineering that was a pretty interesting read. I think the main problem is that people don't understand the difficulty in trying to mimic hardware on a completely different system. While it is a great thing to get working it is by no means easy

Both are superior. SMAdv2 has better controls and awesome Luigi gameplay, as well as Yoshi AND Peach coin quests with cutscenes to boot, and SMAdv3 has more levels.

iirc, at the last investors meeting, iwata stated that they just overcame technical issues, regarding the VC on the Wii U.

Hopefully, this means they'll be pumping out more.

They don't go for perfect emulation, otherwise the Wii would have never been able to emulate SNES/N64 games based off your story.

Each ROM comes packed with a custom emulator that works for the game's particular quirks.

JoeM86

As someone currently getting their bachelors in Software Engineering that was a pretty interesting read. I think the main problem is that people don't understand the difficulty in trying to mimic hardware on a completely different system. While it is a great thing to get working it is by no means easy

Indeed. People think it's just plop a game ROM out and be done with it. However, Nintendo reconfigures their base emulator for each game to make sure it runs as close to how the original ran as possible. It's time consuming and very tricky.

No one cares more about these features over actually playing the games.

Makes absolutely no sense

Handheld titles should be on the 3ds

But instead they dont do this.

Why? This makes NO sense. How do people not see this. Am i crazy?

To be honest, yes I do think the outrage over this being on the wii u and not the 3ds is a little crazy. I guess I can understand being disappointed that the games aren't available on 3ds, but I don't see any reason why older handheld games should not be available on the wii u

To be honest, yes I do think the outrage over this being on the wii u and not the 3ds is a little crazy. I guess I can understand being disappointed that the games aren't available on 3ds, but I don't see any reason why older handheld games should not be available on the wii u
It's not outrage that it's on the Wii U. It's outrage that it's only on the Wii U.

Stencil

Was super psyched until I remembered I still have my GCN, GB player & all my awesome GBA games at my TVs disposal as it is.

My 3DS lacks this option.

So, while I initially was not going to look a "gift" (emphasis on quotes) horse in the mouth, I reject this horse after some simple consideration.

It's not outrage that it's on the Wii U. It's outrage that it's only on the Wii U.

so why are people making posts that say things like "handheld games should be on the 3ds, gamecube games should be on wii u" or "Handheld games should be available on the handheld console Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube" as if previous console games only belong on consoles, and previous handheld games belong only on handheld?

Why don't they say "Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, DS and GBA" instead of omitting the handhelds?

Oh good, you guys got it covered. Exactly what I came in here to say.

Seriously, what the hell Nintendo?
Nintendo is in desperation mode for Wii U. GBA and DS VC will only attract core fans that have the system and won't be enough to get us lapsed fans to pick it up. GBA VC makes so much more sense on 3DS (as does DS) but we all know how Nintendo likes to turn a blind eye to the obvious.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think its pretty neat, but I won't touch these with a ten foot pole. I understand the reasoning but I simply don't care. GBA games should be on 3DS as well. I don't care how they do it but it should be done. It's going to confuse current and potential customers alike. You have people playing console and portable emulators on their phones but Nintendo can't figure something out? It's pretty laughable.

You may not care, but I know many who do. Plus, Nintendo cares and want the perfect experience.
Really? Cause I dont. Most people I know who want to play old games arent worried about friends lists, stand by mode, street pass, miiverse, save states and all this other fluff. They want to play games, not tacked on features. The people you say that exist sure sound about as ridiculous as the people who won't play a game that doesn't have achievements. Very strange and skewed priorities when it comes to games.

The perfect experience would be the original unaltered experience.

Really? You care more features over playing the game?

Indeed. People think it's just plop a game ROM out and be done with it. However, Nintendo reconfigures their base emulator for each game to make sure it runs as close to how the original ran as possible. It's time consuming and very tricky.

No, we're just not corporate apologists like you. It's nintendos job to find a way to do it, not to make excuses. They got nearly every console under the sun working on wii,up to and including the n64 and that the 3ds has more ram and a faster processor.(Going by wiki data).

I'm not buying any GBA games on a wii u (unless crossbuy becomes a thing), despite already owning one. They belong on 3ds, you only have to read the first page of the thread to understand why.

JoeM86

No, we're just not corporate apologists like you. It's nintendos job to find a way to do it, not to make excuses. They got nearly every console under the sun working on wii,up to and including the n64 and that the 3ds has more ram and a faster processor.(Going by wiki data)

You do realise that it's not just a matter of specs. Please refer to my earlier post.

I'm also not a corporate apologist. When Nintendo mess up, I call them out on it, such as with the horrendous Virtual Console release schedule. However, this is a matter of technology. You can't just will something to happen.

Really? Cause I dont. Most people I know who want to play old games arent worried about friends lists, stand by mode, street pass, miiverse, save states and all this other fluff. They want to play games, not tacked on features. The people you say that exist sure sound about as ridiculous as the people who won't play a game that doesn't have achievements. Very strange and skewed priorities when it comes to games.

The perfect experience would be the original unaltered experience.

Locking out standard operating system features just to get a game to run is not an acceptable practice.

Locking out standard operating system features just to play a game is not an acceptable practice.
Sure it is. Sony seems to think it is perfectly acceptable that you can't access your friend list or gain trophies on classic titles. Why are these things being inaccessible not acceptable? They weren't part of the original game. Why does it matter? Am I going to need access to a friends list while playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? Super Star Saga? Golden Sun? What about Streetpass? What do I need that feature for example exactly? These games weren't built with this stuff in mind so why does it matter. For the people who are playing it for the first time? Put in a disclaimer.

Nintendo is being silly and so are the people who are prioritizing this stuff over the actual content.

so why are people making posts that say things like "handheld games should be on the 3ds, gamecube games should be on wii u" or "Handheld games should be available on the handheld console Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube" as if previous console games only belong on consoles, and previous handheld games belong only on handheld?

Why don't they say instead "Wii U should have full libraries for N64, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, DS and GBA"?
Im going to guess that people want to play old PORTABLE games on their new PORTABLE, the same goes for consoles. That does not mean that those games should only be portable or only be on a console, but to have it only on one of them, the one kind of platform that it wasn't really intended to be on is a little mind boggling.

I don't know. I think it's a given that if it can, it should.

Terrell

I think its pretty neat, but I won't touch these with a ten foot pole. I understand the reasoning but I simply don't care. GBA games should be on 3DS as well. I don't care how they do it but it should be done. It's going to confuse current and potential customers alike. You have people playing console and portable emulators on their phones but Nintendo can't figure something out? It's pretty laughable.
Not as many people use those emulators on their phones as you think. And they're pretty far from a glitch-free experience. The emulators on smartphones wouldn't last a day on an actual retail market.

And yet they had no problem doing it to get ds/dsiware working.
Hardware emulation is one thing. But let's say that Nintendo goes that route to get GBA titles on 3DS. That isn't VC, it's a software packet running through hardware emulation. Something Nintendo can't repurpose later. So when the next handheld or console come out and they literally have to start coding the emulation layer on each game from scratch, people will complain even louder than they are now.

So your choice is simple: bitch now or bitch later. Some of us choose the latter, I guess.

Some folks forget that these are corporations we talk about here, not charitable magicians who can conjure anything into existence.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Sure it is. Sony seems to think it is perfectly acceptable that you can't access your friend list or gain trophies on classic titles. Why are these things being inaccessible not acceptable? They weren't part of the original game. Why does it matter? Am I going to need access to a friends list while playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? Super Star Saga? Golden Sun? What about Streetpass? What do I need that feature for example exactly? These games weren't built with this stuff in mind so why does it matter. For the people who are playing it for the first time? Put in a disclaimer.

Nintendo is being silly and so are the people who are prioritizing this stuff over the actual content.

You say that now, but there'd be plenty of complaints and eyerolls directed towards Nintendo if they omitted that stuff.

JoeM86

Hopefully they release the GBA versions of SMB3 and SMW. Definitive versions of the games.

Japan is getting SMW at launch.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get it soon after. I very much doubt that Japan will get the dozen titles in the first month and we get three. They just haven't set dates yet.

JoeM86

Oh, some press assets gave us a native 1080p look at Metroid Fusion

i2GNVrLNSV28U.jpg
isnUsVkLCHJhG.jpg

Colours are crisp, no blurring. It seems expertly done. I'm happy with it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Luckily this was not done with 1st party Wii VC console titles as we might have a drought on Wii U VC due to Nintendo having to rewrite emulators from scratch...

Seriously though, no matter how you decide to view the subject the result for consumers seems to always be VC titles super slowly tricking out...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I hope these are handled better than the 3DS Ambassador titles. They were all horribly dim and had terrible motion blur, if those things aren't fixed then I'll stick to using my DSLite for GBA games.

Piccoro

Game Boy Advance was really one of the greatest portables of all time, great software lineup.
After the news of DS emulation, GBA emulation, MK8 and Smash, my next console will surely be the WiiU, without any doubt. And I'm gonna hold off buying the PS4 for now. WiiU's lineup is way too powerful to resist...

Oh, some press assets gave us a native 1080p look at Metroid Fusion

Colours are crisp, no blurring. It seems expertly done. I'm happy with it.

Damn, that does look far better than I was expecting. I may end up eating some crow, gladly of course.

Neifirst

Fusion does look good. I hope Zero Mission is not too far behind! A number of Konami's SNES and NES titles been all over the Wii U VC, so maybe Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow will make their way over too.

Glass Joe

Anyone have a link to a list of quality GBA essentials or a personal wish list? I wasn't much of a portable gamer back then and always held the impression that most of the good games were just SNES ports, but that's probably not the whole picture.

Top Bottom