• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford on gamer criticism: 'some people are sadists'

Randy Pitchford, the chief executive of Gearbox Software, has used a keynote speech at the Develop conference in Brighton to address the issue of vocal, highly critical gamers – with specific references to the controversy over the studio’s 2013 release Aliens: Colonial Marines.

“You may know us from such quality games as James Bond Nightfire and Aliens Colonial Marines,” he said.

“There is always the person who’s got to stand on the sandcastle, they must crush it,” he said. “That’s their way of relating to that. It’s typically a less sophisticated mind. There’s a dark part of us all that likes the idea of crushing a sandcastle, but most of us will respect it and let it be. That’s why we like playing video games where we can blow stuff up and no one gets hurt.”

“If you’re making entertainment on a grand scale, if you’re reaching millions, there will be tens of thousands of people who absolutely hate us, and some percentage of those will take it upon themselves to let us known how they feel,” he said.

“I read it in this way: we moved those people, we touched them – even the person who hates [your game] so much, you’ve affected them. That’s why we fight, we’re creating emotion and experience - and some people thrive on that type of feeling, some people are sadists.”

He later went on to say that he “hoped” there would be another Duke Nukem title, the shooter series that Gearbox took on from previous developer 3D Realms. “I didn’t buy the franchise to ensure we could all play Duke Nukem Forever,” he joked, referencing the critically mauled title.

Answering questions from Twitter, he replied to one that asked his opinion on the acclaimed Creative Assembly title, Alien Isolation. “I think [it] is brilliant,” he said.

Addressing the difficulty of facing harsh critics, once again he stated: “A mission to entertain the world is a good one because it’s impossible to achieve. If you’re going to take a risk, some people will like what you offer, and some definitely won’t.”

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/15/gearbox-ceo-randy-pitchford-gamer-criticism

McDougles

Ah yes, the totally rational "haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate" response. Definitely should be used outside of pop music as a valid response to criticism!

Sephzilla

The other higher-ups at Gearbox need to collevtively put a gag order on Randy Pitchford. The more he talks the more he ends up looking completely delusional.

Real Hero

He's such a bullshitter. You made them have an emotional reaction because you lied to them and they got mad? He's worse than Molyneux who at least can be seen as a dreamer who can't reach his goals. This guy just seems like a dickhead.

hamchan

Basically it's ok for Randy Pitchford to take a dump on your chest because the act of doing so affects you and gives you an emotional reaction.

Fury451

Banned
The more he opens his mouth the less and less likely me buying their future products is. That includes Borderlands, which I really like.

He continues to be an absolute tool about it instead of just admitting fault like any rational person would have by now. You know, because they actually were at fault.

Moosichu

He's such a bullshitter. You made them have an emotional reaction because you lied to them and they got mad? He's worse than Molyneux who at least can be seen as a dreamer who can't reach his goals. This guy just seems like a dickhead.
Why is he doing this though??

There’s a dark part of us all that likes the idea of crushing a sandcastle, but most of us will respect it and let it be.

Do they try to charge $60 for us to see the sandcastle, demanding we pay sight unseen beforehand to see the added "spiral turrets" feature?

There's enough shitty people on social media that I imagine it's easy for people like him to lump every bit of negativity in with them and dismiss it whole cloth.

Probably makes that bubble pretty easy to live inside.

Why is this guy still talking? He needs to slink off into the shadows and quietly work on his games. Does he not realize he is the next Dennis Dyack if he continues?

I don't like or respect people that cannot take criticism. People who can't admit their own faults are the true sadists.

Well, looks like no Borderlands 3 for me.

Fury451

Banned
There's enough shitty people on social media that I imagine it's easy for people like him to lump every bit of negativity in with them and dismiss it whole cloth.

Probably makes that bubble pretty easy to live inside.

Come on now. He's dismissing everyone, not just the vocal abusive folks social media, and he's been doing it since the get-go on Aliens.

I dunno, if you read the full quote vs. the thread title it doesn't seem as bad.

You're right. It's actually worse, because the full quote has this condescending pseudo-philosophical nonsense to it.

Hektor

smile_rofl.gif

I agree. Molyneux at least makes the impression that he is actually, legitimately trying.

Sorcerer

I wonder what his endgame is?

Things go quiet and then he stirs the pot again and again and makes himself look more foolish. Is anybody crying tears for this guy?

Does he see himself as some sort of martyr?

daniels

Hey whoooo look loook at meee! -_-
Sooo he wont shut up in the near future...this stuff will go on because he apparently likes the attention even the bad one.

jsnepo

Let him take the challenge in a time when refunds are finally allowed in Steam. Go ahead Randy. Release a crappy game again.

RK128

I guess Pitchford is a man who cannot take criticism but unlike a similar case (Digital Homicide), Pitchford leads his team into make mostly good/great games (Borderlands series for example) but when he makes bad ones (Ailens CM, Duke Nukem Forever), he cannot understand that they are 'bad'; he thinks they are great games despite the fact they are not great games.

He must be a nice person, but regarding his game making skills and leadership of Gearbox, he sadly made mistake (stealing the Borderlands art-style from someone he was even working with) after mistake (not polishing DKF enough before release) after mistake (EVERYTHING surrounding Ailens CM).

Just hope one day he understands that the negativity many of us show him isn't due to us not liking him, but due to the issues, mistakes and bad games he produced under Gearbox. Because I think he feels that we are picking on him, when in reality, we are just being critical of him.

Top Bottom