• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford on gamer criticism: 'some people are sadists'

We need one of these for Randy Pitchford....

Q3OjVSu.gif

Does this guy not know the concept of shutting up? Every time he talks he is damaging his company's reputation. I honestly wonder what the rest of the people at Gearbox are thinking. But this whole shitshow won't amount to anything if their next game sells like gangbusters, it will only prove to him that he was right.

I dunno, if you read the full quote vs. the thread title it doesn't seem as bad.

I think the context makes it worse. I mean, yeah, some people are sadists. But in the full quote you realize that he is using this to dodge the fact that he knowingly misled the public regarding the state of a game and he has never admitted to that demonstrable and absolutely true failing.

Do shitty, possibly criminal things -> do shitty immoral things to get out of direct financial and legal trouble -> get this called out -> play victim and spin doctor while holding subordinate's careers hostage by hanging on to one's position

The problem is Randy (and I say this as someone who owns both Alien CM and Duke Nukem Forever Collectors Editions) when your studio pumps out titles that are nothing like the footage that people have been shown people get pissed off.

Showing that footage is lying, It's not a sadist to call you a liar when you lie that's just stating a fact. Surprisingly people who you lie to and deceive are not happy when they spent £40+ on a game and found out they have been scammed. And they have been scammed.

Your "sandcastle" deserves to be stamped on because you are telling people it's a 10000sqft mansion in dubai and it's 3 bucket shaped mounds in blackpool.

If you played either DNF or A:CM objectively you would understand that they are bad games , they are bad from every aspect. The mission design is stale, the stories weak and the gameplay repetitive. That's without touching the fact that the quality of assets is horrendous, the IQ is bad and the games are riddled (literally riddled) with bugs.

Loxley

Man, this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.

To think he was once one of the more likable folks in the industry :/

“I read it in this way: we moved those people, we touched them – even the person who hates [your game] so much, you’ve affected them. That’s why we fight, we’re creating emotion and experience - and some people thrive on that type of feeling, some people are sadists.”
The fact that you view it as a fight says more than enough. And can someone please point to examples of emotion elicited from a Gearbox game's experience? Any of them?

The problem is Randy (and I say this as someone who owns both Alien CM and Duke Nukem Forever Collectors Editions) when your studio pumps out titles that are nothing like the footage that people have been shown people get pissed off.

Showing that footage is lying, It's not a sadist to call you a liar when you lie that's just stating a fact. Surprisingly people who you lie to and deceive are not happy when they spent £40+ on a game and found out they have been scammed. And they have been scammed.

Your "sandcastle" deserves to be stamped on because you are telling people it's a 10000sqft mansion in dubai and it's 3 bucket shaped mounds in blackpool.

If you played either DNF or A:CM objectively you would understand that they are bad games , they are bad from every aspect. The mission design is stale, the stories weak and the gameplay repetitive. That's without touching the fact that the quality of assets is horrendous, the IQ is bad and the games are riddled (literally riddled) with bugs.
Now that's a rebuttal. Agreed.

Molyneux and Pitchford called out in the same year, has something changed in the game hype-o-sphere? Or is it they're just being particularly vocal this year because they're queueing up new projects?

Endo Punk

I don't know who this man is nor have i played any of his games. But seen a lot of gaf threads on him and jimq vid. He really comes off as an asshole. Not that i would have played his game anyway but his definitely on the very tiny blacklist of studios i will never support with purchases, next to the dump with Tameen/NT you go Randy/Gearbox.

“There is always the person who’s got to stand on the sandcastle, they must crush it,” he said. “That’s their way of relating to that. It’s typically a less sophisticated mind. There’s a dark part of us all that likes the idea of crushing a sandcastle, but most of us will respect it and let it be. That’s why we like playing video games where we can blow stuff up and no one gets hurt.”

This bothers me the wrong way. Like if you have something bad to say about a game, you're not as smart as the ones who liked it.

“I read it in this way: we moved those people, we touched them – even the person who hates [your game] so much, you’ve affected them. That’s why we fight, we’re creating emotion and experience - and some people thrive on that type of feeling, some people are sadists.”
That's healthy perspective for anyone who creates.

The worst result would be to leave someone with no feeling.

liquidtmd

Banned
Now that's a rebuttal. Agreed.

Molyneux and Pitchford called out in the same year, has something changed in the game hype-o-sphere?

My problem with Molyneux and Pitchford is they're fucking Sith like in terms of absolutes.

Always the gamers out to get them, always misunderstood, always weaseling their way with explanations.

You misrepresent your products during development, expect to be called out. Just say you made shitty products and be candid as to your failings / failings of the process and much of the gaming community would get over it really quick.

EvB

Is his comment really that radical? He is saying that a percentage of gamers go out of their way to talk directly to them and some of those people are negative and enjoy being so.

I'd agree that that small percentage of people is perhaps a lot larger than he is suggesting. Gaming culture has become super negative in recent years.

PSqueak

Banned
At this moment i cannot tell if he really is delusional about why people criticize him, or if he just doesnt give a fuck and will keep up pretending he did nothing wrong.

King_Moc

Banned
My problem with Molyneux and Pitchford is they're fucking Sith like in terms of absolutes.

Always the gamers out to get them, always misunderstood, always weaseling their way with explanations.

You misrepresent your products during development, expect to be called out. Just say you made shitty products and be candid as to your failings / failings of the process and much of the gaming community would get over it really quick.

Molyneux went so far as to feign depression about it in one interview to try to convince people, I doubt Pitchford would even know where to begin with that line of defence though.

petghost

Banned
I actually like some of gearboxes stuff which is why I think having Randy as the guy they have talking to the press is a terrible idea.

Keep this man away from microphones.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is his comment really that radical? He is saying that a percentage of gamers go out of their way to talk directly to them and some of those people are negative and enjoy being so.

I'd agree that that small percentage of people is perhaps a lot larger than he is suggesting. Gaming culture has become super negative in recent years.

In Pitchford's case, the negativity is warranted.

The issue is that he comes across like he's writing off any criticism whatsoever of his games by putting it all under that umbrella when they absolutely deserve the criticism they get. He's basically just denying that there are huge issues with his games and saying "haters gonna hate" and then plugging his ears.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
IMO he is the worst public figure in the industry.

He is a cast-iron bellend

Top Bottom