• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford on gamer criticism: 'some people are sadists'

Gaming culture has become super negative in recent years.

Is it so surprising when the Gaming industry is intent on nickle and dimming it's audience, Locking on disc content away behind paid DLC, Having a myriad of preorder bonuses from different retails, delivering incomplete and buggy games and chasing after CoD money by destroying a games unique soul in favor of making them all CoD Clones.

We are actively consumers in an industry in which preorder bonuses are revealed before games are. Game endings are released as DLC and A season pass equals the price of a full retail product and delivers 30% of said retail product and you can pay to win in competitive PvP games.

If the industry doesn't want a negative audience then please the consumer instead of treating them like cash cows ready to milk

Randdalf

This thread title is taken out of context quite a bit. I was at the talk today where he said this, and it was really about how a small % of people will always dislike what you do, and shout about it loudly.

He prefaced this with an anectode about how he still gets regular emails from this one guy still about angry Borderlands' change of art style from realistic to stylised. His point is that if you inspire such passion, even negative, in some people with your creativity than it's better than making some bland, and you should embrace it rather than be upset about it.

Fury451

Banned
Is his comment really that radical? He is saying that a percentage of gamers go out of their way to talk directly to them and some of those people are negative and enjoy being so.

I'd agree that that small percentage of people is perhaps a lot larger than he is suggesting. Gaming culture has become super negative in recent years.

While there is a part of game and culture that is consistently negative, and parts on social media that are incredibly abusive about it, Randy has done nothing but deflect blame away from himself and his company for the awful product with straight false advertising that was Colonial Marines, and then he continues to talk down to people who criticize it, without acknowledging the real reasons why everyone's blasting them over it.

That doesn't even touch on the accusations that they siphoned funds from SEGA for Aliens to make Borderlands 2.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This thread title is taken out of context quite a bit. I was at the talk today where he said this, and it was really about how a small % of people will always dislike what you do, and shout about it loudly.

He prefaced this with an anectode about how he still gets regular emails from this one guy still about angry Borderlands' change of art style from realistic to stylised. His point is that if you inspire such passion, even negative, in some people with your creativity than it's better than making some bland, and you should embrace it rather than be upset about it.

To me that still sounds like he is yet again absolving himself of any wrong doing. Did he make any mention of what happens when a large % of people dislike what you do? (honest question)

Randy Pitchford flat out lied to people through the press using the vertical slice Gearbox made of Aliens: Colonial Marines that he knew in no way shape or form was indicative of the game Time Gate Studios was making.

It wasn't even a vertical slice, the game they showed never existed in any form at all.

Randy Pitchford flat out lied to people through the press using the vertical slice Gearbox made of Aliens: Colonial Marines that he knew in no way shape or form was indicative of the game Time Gate Studios was making. When he was flogging A:CM no mention was made of the fact the game was outsourced or who it had been outsourced to. He sold it as a passion project for Gearbox, that they were working on it internally, not that they outsourced it to focus on Borderlands 2.

He is a snake oil salesman in the truest sense.

A more honest man would have owned up to past mistakes, a smarter man would have let the issue drop and blow over but Mr. Pitchford keeps trying to paint himself and his studio as the wronged party. As the victim. All he's frittering away what goodwill Aliens: Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever hadn't eroded.

King_Moc

Banned

So he's trying to justify his bullshit by saying "at least it's something different!". No, it's something shit, designed to con people.

and some people thrive on that type of feeling, some people are sadists.

Yes Mr Pitchford i do think that you yourself thrive on this type of feeling and you are a sadist yourself in terms of why you are not letting this go

Steroyd

My problem with Molyneux and Pitchford is they're fucking Sith like in terms of absolutes.

Always the gamers out to get them, always misunderstood, always weaseling their way with explanations.

You misrepresent your products during development, expect to be called out. Just say you made shitty products and be candid as to your failings / failings of the process and much of the gaming community would get over it really quick.

The problem is that Peter Molyneux does do that, but then it becomes a Peter Molyneux cycle on its own, it seems Randy just straight up skips that part of the cycle.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My first thought as well. You need to let go Randy.

I don't want him to let go, I want him to keep talking so that people won't forget this time. This is infinitely worse than anything Ubisoft or EA has done recently, made worse by the fact that he refuses to apologise or admit any wrongdoing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn't like a few of those titles, but I agree that some people do try to step on sand castles. There's always one person who wants to ruin everything just because they can. They're born to do that, even if you don't believe it is real, it happens.

If you could build a wall to the sky, you'd go beyond the far reaches of outer space. If your game isn't good to the general public then you face that every time it's brought up for criticism.

I think in the last couple of years it has been worse with social media the way it is. You have comments coming from what feels like hell itself. The only middle ground is mods and authority figures sorting them out, but even then there are even smart people that like to ruin something just for the sake of doing it. I think more and more people are getting sick of taking someone's opinion to heart when they normally wouldn't have anything to do with them, had it not been for some sorta comment.

I knew what a thorn in my spine meant when I was a little kid. I know there's a lot of stuff out there that is just humiliating.

The infinity wheel of criticism can drive someone mad at times unless you like hearing something negative every single time. I'm talking about extreme cases of criticism.

I don't doubt him. I'm sure he knows quite a bit about sadism considering that "high quality games such as Colonial Marines" bit.

What a jagoff.

I didn't like a few of those titles, but I agree that some people do try to step on sand castles. There's always one person who wants to ruin everything just because they can. They're born to do that, even if you don't believe it is real, it happens.

If you could build a wall to the sky, you'd go beyond the far reaches of outer space. If your game isn't good to the general public then you face that every time it's brought up for criticism.

I think in the last couple of years it has been worse with social media the way it is. You have comments coming from what feels like hell itself. The only middle ground is mods and authority figures sorting them out, but even then there are even smart people that like to ruin something just for the sake of doing it. I think more and more people are getting sick of taking someone's opinion to heart when they normally wouldn't have anything to do with had it not been for some sorta comment.

I knew what a thorn in my spine meant when I was a little kid. I know there's a lot of stuff out there that is just humiliating.
I don't think that's really applicable to this subject. You're not wrong, but Pitchford is likely also referring to more sensible criticism with the same animosity. He's been completely unaccepting of any negative opinions of his work, and has responded in a way that I don't think anyone could consider responsible.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Randy is pretty much trying to troll. Dude sleeps on a mattress made of cash. He doesn't have to take an L, he simply doesn't care, nor should he.

Next Borderlands will make him even richer.

This suggests that Gearbox has made great games though, which isn't true.

Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are some of my favs...so opinions and all.

todahawk

Randy just won't stop, maybe I'll get off my ass and make a gif version of the Randy=Carter Burke riff I posted before.

Coxy

We are creators, bringing emotions and feelings to players.

The emotion of sadness as a beloved IP is dragged throught the mud with our shitty game

The feeling of loss as you're never getting that €60 back and even deeper disappointment as your €30 season pass contains shit all

an accelerating sense of horror as its revealed how many projects you would have loved were cancelled to keep this trainwreck rolling

you dont get those feelings with just any game

I get that he's CEO and all, but PR should really be telling him to stop talking like this

Put out a gag order on Randy Pitchford. He's either spinning a yarn to hype up a new game or he's Alienating his audience. I can't tell the difference.

I think in the last couple of years it has been worse with social media the way it is. You have comments coming from what feels like hell itself. The only middle ground is mods and authority figures sorting them out, but even then there are even smart people that like to ruin something just for the sake of doing it. I think more and more people are getting sick of taking someone's opinion to heart when they normally wouldn't have anything to do with them, had it not been for some sorta comment.

The infinity wheel of criticism can drive someone mad at times unless you like hearing something negative every single time. I'm talking about extreme cases of criticism.

Pride is a hell of a thing. Being prideful of work is a double edged sword.

Markitron

Randy just won't stop, maybe I'll get off my ass and make a gif version of the Randy=Carter Burke riff I posted before.

Please do, give that GIF to the internet so people can never stop tweeting it to Randy.

Hektor

The emotion of sadness as a beloved IP is dragged throught the mud with our shitty game

The feeling of loss as you're never getting that €60 back and even deeper disappointment as your €30 season pass contains shit all

an accelerating sense of horror as its revealed how many projects you would have loved were cancelled to keep this trainwreck rolling

I had to genuinly laugh out loud, well done!

I guess this really is a situation of "don't feed he troll", huh? Just ignore him while spreading around his awful and exploitative business decisions.

Glad I don't like Borderlands.

PnCIa

He should just be silent and make good games. And accept that some of the games he was involved in were not so good.
Instead he is digging a PR grave here...just shut up dude and do your job!

AHA-Lambda

Jesus Christ Randy, you're the one still bringing it up! Fucking get over it! You made a piece of shit, fucking own up to it.

I can only assume that his resurgence of tackling gamers and repeated Duke references means an announcement is coming soon, and may as well get in the spotlight now.

Piece of shit knows how to play the media. Still a piece of shit though.

nynt9

While you do have some sort of point among that... statement, Pitchford is literally the last person who should be making this. If he had gone "yes, we fucked up, sorry, but some people are really vile" no one would disagree with him.

OWnmkgj.gif

:D Fantastic!

Look as others have said I agree with him that the trolls are real and they are pretty vile but he's not acknowledging faults and flaws while decrying trolls, he's implying all of the criticism is trolling. That is flat out wrong but hey let's put it on the pile with the Engagdet interview where he flat out lies about where his company name came from (I only heard this yesterday and I'm still laughing).

Also he's never seeing another dime of mine ever again.

Dude is just trolling the people that talk shit about him. Whether they're right or wrong doesn't matter when gaming is as huge as it is. People who know about the development of DNF and the Aliens game are such a small percentage that it doesn't matter if those people are pissed at him and won't give him another dollar. The reality is that most people that buy a shitty game stop playing it and go and sell it and never think about it again unless someone talks about it so they can talk shit about it. But that's as far as it goes. The average person doesn't buy a shitty game, looks for the name of the developer on the box and then swear to never buy another game by them again. That's not how the average gamer operates. If his ego is so big that he doesn't want to apologize, then he can afford it.

Which pretty much means that if Borderlands 3 or whatever else they make themselves is good, it'll sell a shitload and people are just going to sit there angry as fuck about it. Which isn't helping.

Best thing to do is just ignore him. This is one of those instances where his comments don't matter and neither do the people that hate him. He's not going to admit to what he's done wrong and you're not going to give him any more money. And that's that. Life will go on.

There's an old saying that the measure of a man is to admit when he's wrong. A smart man learns from his mistakes, the smartest men learn from not only their own mistakes but the mistakes of other men.

His outright refusal to accept the fact that Aliens: Colonial Marines was an disaster and a terrible video game and more importantly to not take any sort of responsibility for it is really pathetic and very telling of his true character. It would have been so much easier if they all had of just owned up to the fact that they screwed up and actually demonstrated that they have learned from their mistakes. Hope Battleborn crashes and burns.

Top Bottom