• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford on gamer criticism: 'some people are sadists'

I just don't understand...

They put out medicore WWII shooters that were bested by almost all competing franchises at the time, a busted version of a game that should have been cancelled years ago simply because of how outdated and shit it was, then they outright lie and bullshit their way through advertising a game billed as the "cannon sequel to Aliens" and the final game releases in an unacceptable form and even once those issues were fixed, the game was still awful and not acceptable in any state.

But wait! They did make a new IP with a stolen artstyle, stupid and ridiculous humor and elements from every other co-op shooter and loot dungeon game, and they threw in boring and uninteresting combat and clunky vehicles with an unacceptable amount of DLC and that somehow makes up for all the other efforts they put out that only ranged from medicore to bad?

Why can we throw shit at companies like EA and Warner Bros. for their awful DLC practices when Borderlands releases Season Passes that don't include all the DLC that will be released, Game of the Year editions with only a few add-ons included and on the whole, release enough DLC to make Rock Band blush and we don't say a damn word about it.

What makes that mediocre series good enough to compensate for the fact that on the whole, Gearbox are a terrible studio...

It boggles my mind.

Homeworld Remastered sucks? I thought it was supposed to be a pretty good remake :/

It's been on my wishlist a while :/

I have not even played it yet, but I kinda don't like supporting that dude.

As far as I now the Homeworld Remake is ok if your not a hardcore fan of the franchise and expect everything to be working as in the originals (physics-system is busted according to some folks on gaf)

Armaros

I have not even played it yet, but I kinda don't like supporting that dude.

As far as I now the Homeworld Remake is ok if your not a hardcore fan of the franchise and expect everything to be working as in the originals (physics-system is busted according to some folks on gaf)

Also formations (which are critical to using strike craft in the first game) and resource balance was broke. On release.

HW1 remaster is HW 1 ported to the HW2 engine.

lol at the sandcastle drivel.

The more I read from that guy the more I regret having bought the Homeworld remake.
We didn't buy the remake, we bought the originals. The remake is still a LOOOONG way from functioning as it was sold.

I ain't even mad because we're all just playing the originals.

Dysun

They put out medicore WWII shooters that were bested by almost all competing franchises at the time, a busted version of a game that should have been cancelled years ago simply because of how outdated and shit it was, then they outright lie and bullshit their way through advertising a game billed as the "cannon sequel to Aliens" and the final game releases in an unacceptable form and even once those issues were fixed, the game was still awful and not acceptable in any state.

But wait! They did make a new IP with a stolen artstyle, stupid and ridiculous humor and elements from every other co-op shooter and loot dungeon game, and they threw in boring and uninteresting combat and clunky vehicles with an unacceptable amount of DLC and that somehow makes up for all the other efforts they put out that only ranged from medicore to bad?

Why can we throw shit at companies like EA and Warner Bros. for their awful DLC practices when Borderlands releases Season Passes that don't include all the DLC that will be released, Game of the Year editions with only a few add-ons included and on the whole, release enough DLC to make Rock Band blush and we don't say a damn word about it.

What makes that mediocre series good enough to compensate for the fact that on the whole, Gearbox are a terrible studio...

It boggles my mind.
No lies detected
How Gearbox got a good reputation I'll never understand either

antitrop

It boggles my mind.
Opposing Force was pretty good...

You're absolutely right.

NastyBook

Had no idea he was this big of a shitlord. Enjoyed BL1, enjoyed BL2 even more, but BL3 probably won't even be bought thanks to his actions. Never bought Aliens, but that doesn't mean I can't feel for those that got fleeced by his shitty practices.

It wasn't even a vertical slice, the game they showed never existed in any form at all.

That vertical slice existed, it was the limited build they used to pitch "the spiritual successor to Aliens" to customers through the press. A lot of those same environment assets showed up in Time Gate's version of the game but that's about the extent of it.

They put out medicore WWII shooters that were bested by almost all competing franchises at the time . . . [continued]

Was Brothers in Arms ever really bested, though? Call of Duty and Medal of Honor never made you feel nearly as connected to their story and characters, nor did they allow you to command entire squads or even utilize actual tactics--not even basic ones, like flanking.

I always looked at Brothers in Arms as a unique franchise that stood apart from the rest of the crowd. It sort of carved its own niche in the WW2 FPS genre, and there hasn't been anything quite like it ever since.

GavinUK86

I'm not big on avoiding games by certain devs because of something they say but the more drivel that comes out of this guys mouth the more I really don't want to buy another Gearbox game.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It's a shame. I've met the guy, and he was genuinely nice. But he seems insistent on dying on this Aliens: CM game. Very stubborn.

The sand castle analogy seems apt, in that both it and the game seem to be equally solid.

Oh my god it was a sarcastic joke, aimed at the audience in the room.

Isn't it a bit weird to joke that your game is shit then spend the rest of the time defending it and calling those who criticize it "sadists"?

danthefan

I see Pitchford being called a liar a lot, what was it that he lied about?

I'm aware Colonial Marines was rubbish, has something to do with that?

Nuke Soda

The demo they showed for E3 way back was clearly not the same as the game released. Also another studio actually made Aliens: CM (Timegate I believe) instead of Gearbox.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If he has any friends one of them needs to tell him to shut the fuck up for good own good

Or what? The only people inflamed at his comments already were already pissed off at him!

I find it a bit sad at how bad the internet community is at taking trolling/criticism compared to how much they like dishing it out.

QaaQer

I'm a fan of rp. guy knows his shit, works hard, and is a bit of a loose canon when it comes to public interaction.

and yeah, there are sadistic gamers, i.e. trolls. I think the hobby attracts them, kinda like posting on the internet. there aren't many hobbies that allow people like that to indulge in their pain and degradation proclivities anonymously and safely. gg eveonline, dayz, wow, heros of newearth, unmoderated forums...

The classy thing to do is apologize for the low quality of some of his products and endeavour to do better in the future. That would earn him so much goodwill. Honestly the only product I've ever bought from them was the half life expansion and with this attitude I refuse to buy anything else they had a hand in.

He (along with Gearbox as a whole) lied about Aliens: Colonial Marines. They announced it back in 2006 and told us how great it would be. From the moment footage was shown, it was all lies. Nothing that we or even journalists saw was a real game but footage of something that didn't even exist. No one saw the actual game until the day it came out and it was a complete joke of a game. Plus, Gearbox didn't even really make it but took full credit.

I'll never miss an opportunity to say how done with Gearbox I am. I won't even touch a game from them again. Doesn't hurt that Battleborne looks boring anyway.

Was Brothers in Arms ever really bested, though? Call of Duty and Medal of Honor never made you feel nearly as connected to their story and characters, nor did they allow you to command entire squads or even utilize actual tactics--not even basic ones, like flanking.

I always looked at Brothers in Arms as a unique franchise that stood apart from the rest of the crowd. It sort of carved its own niche in the WW2 FPS genre, and there hasn't been anything quite like it ever since.
Yeah, Brothers in Arms was alright and stood out compared to the competition at the time. Let's not throw the fish in with the dynamite here. Borderlands 1 and 2 were also ok. Gearbox is capable of making good, interesting games.

The problem here is Pitchford's hypeshitting, his inability to see that as a problem and consequently take responsibility for it. And whatever else transpired to cause the end outcome that was Colonial Marines.
The classy thing to do is apologize for the low quality of some of his products and endeavour to do better in the future. That would earn him so much goodwill. Honestly the only product I've ever bought from them was the half life expansion and with this attitude I refuse to buy anything else they had a hand in.

At this point though, wouldn't that just seem hollow?

opoth

Banned

Randy Pitchford is a compulsive liar.

That's the big one that sticks out, he also stole the aesthetic for Borderlands from Codehunters, and he's even lied about where their company name came from:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/17/whats-in-a-name-gearbox-software/

If he's willing to lie about something as innocuous as that, can you imagine how much other BS he's full of when it comes to money?

I don't get if Randy Pitchford completely live in his own world where any criticism is filtered away and/or categorized as gratuitous hate speech, or if he is just the greatest actor alive.

IMO he is the worst public figure in the industry.

As long as Peter Molyneux is still a part of this industry, no.

This studio got really lucky with borderlands. That game hit in a big way and they probably wouldn't be around if it hadnt.

Looking at their other work i would say that is not the norm. Their brothers in arms games were quite good but otherwise its been pretty bad.

Fox Mulder

I'm not big on avoiding games by certain devs because of something they say but the more drivel that comes out of this guys mouth the more I really don't want to buy another Gearbox game.

I'm not. He's always whining about unfair treatment instead of just apologizing or just shutting the hell up. I'm not going to thank him for tying a bow around a shit duke nukem game. CM was shameful.

To be fair to gearbox though, Sega deserved a bigger share of the shit from CM too. They slapped their name on the box.

I dunno, if you read the full quote vs. the thread title it doesn't seem as bad.

Randy: “There is always the person who’s got to stand on the sandcastle, they must crush it,” he said. “That’s their way of relating to that. It’s typically a less sophisticated mind..."

If you read the full quote he opens out by saying people who criticize his games are simpletons. The worst part is that he probably believes the tripe he's spewing, though the alternative - that he honestly has no idea how much of a sociopath he sounds like, and believes the things he says would be upheld by rational human beings as reasonable logical defenses - is almost equally as concerning.

I assume he has PR people. He needs to shut up and let them do their job. He's going to torpedo the company at this rate, and the rest of the people working there almost certainly don't deserve to fail on the basis of him being a walking public relations disaster.

QaaQer

That's the big one that sticks out, he also stole the aesthetic for Borderlands from Codehunters, and he's even lied about where their company name came from:

If he's willing to lie about something as innocuous as that, can you imagine how much other BS he's full of when it comes to money?

everyone lies everyday. and as long as it is about dumb stuff like in the article, who cares? It's only things like perjury or lying in order to hurt someone that bother me. I find stuff like that article funny, not damning.

jacobeid

Banned

Remember when the Borderlands 2 reversible cover stole the art from Olly Moss?

Why people put any trust in Randy to lead an ethical company is beyond me.

Guess I'm the sadist.

As much as I don't like RP, you should realize that devs and studios steal from one another very often, especially when they can get away with it and save money.

I dont find it surprising to read about a company stealing. He should let his PR people talk for him before he costs his staff their jobs and puts his company out of business.

L Thammy

Didn't read about the Gearbox name story before. It's pretty obviously fake when you start reading, since Randy's laying it on pretty thick. He's the heroic David figure toppling Gabe's Goliath, and the Gearbox name is the sacred treasure they're fighting over. I can't really hold that against him. Doesn't seem like it was a serious attempt to convince anyone of anything.

As much as I don't like RP, you should realize that devs and studios steal from one another very often, especially when they can get away with it and save money.

I dont find it surprising to read about a company stealing. He should let his PR people talk for him before he costs his staff their jobs and puts his company out of business.

That isn't stealing from a dev, it's stealing from an artist. What's worse is that they actually approached him first and didn't get back to him, so there's no way of passing it off as a tribute or something like that. They intentionally ripped the guy off.

I've praised you for your great sandcastles (Opposing Force) and hung shit on you for your crappy falling apart sandcastles (A:CM) Randy. If people don't voice their opinions on your shitty sandcastles you won't understand they are shitty.

Top Bottom