• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford on gamer criticism: 'some people are sadists'

Just piss off, Randy.
You sing the same song and do the same dances, you made shit games. You lied. Be a man and own up to your shit.

Oh, PS, we don't want another Duke Nukem. Especially not from you and your merry team of fuckwits.

I'm assuming you've never had the misfortune of playing a Gearbox title before?

Of course I have. I don't even like the borderlands games, which is supposed to be on the higher end scale of his titles. That is not why I think the quote is great.

Keep that persecution complex.

It's helps your point.

You help prove my point. This thread is just going to be about bashing Pitchford (whether he deserves it or not, I frankly do not care). So I'll quietly step out now.

Courage

your team of Merry Fuckwits.

Seems unfair to shit on the entire Gearbox team because their boss is a prick.

You help prove my point. This thread is just going to be about bashing Pitchford (whether he deserves it or not, I frankly do not care). So I'll quietly step out now.

Why would you not care if he deserves it or not? It invalidates the 'innocuous' observation you made in the first place.

DrArchon

Randy, all you had to do was keep your mouth shut and pump out the occasional Borderlands. Do you just like having your bubble-view challenged by the internet?

L Thammy

There are a fair few posts in this thread along the lines of "he sure is trying to get attention" or something like that. If you think this is a PR game, you have a much more positive perspective on the guy than I do. Trolling or vying for attention requires a degree of self-awareness that I just don't believe he has.

I think he's just a whiny manchild trying everything he can to get out of responsibility. And considering how he intentionally ripped off the artists from Codehunters, intentionally deceived his audience through his marketing, and allegedly funneled money from Sega into his own projects, I suspect that his sense of morality is still in a toddler's phase as well. "It's not wrong if I don't get caught."

I mean, look at the Dyack comparison. If Dyack had any self-awareness at all, he wouldn't have sued Epic and lost his company. Because he knew they have plagiarized code from Unreal, and if he had that self-awareness, he would have known that it was wrong and that he would not win that legal battle.

im sure his "opinions" would be drastically different if some of his games came out post steam-refund era.

edit:just saw the latest jimquisition after posting this, he pretty much says the same thing :p

pahamrick

Randy reminds me of a Psychopath.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10737827/Psychopaths-how-can-you-spot-one.html

The list in full is: glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, cunning/manipulative, lack of remorse, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, unwillingness to accept responsibility for actions, a tendency to boredom, a parasitic lifestyle, a lack of realistic long-term goals, impulsivity, irresponsibility, lack of behavioural control,

Armaros

Of course I have. I don't even like the borderlands games, which is supposed to be on the higher end scale of his titles. That is not why I think the quote is great.

You don't care yet post passive aggressive holier then thou posts. While not caring about the context of the complaints about Pitchford, yet seeing fit to paint all the complaints as unwarranted.

So much for not caring or having a real point at all.

You don't care yet post passive aggressive holier then thou posts. While not caring about the context of the complaints about Pitchford, yet seeing fit to paint all the complaints as unwarranted.

So much for not caring or having a real point at all.

My point was clear from the beginning. I'd rather discuss what was said rather than focusing only on who said it. There is nothing holier then thou about that and it is not pointless. But it is not a fruitful endeavor because it is clear the only thing everyone else wants to discuss is how much they hate Randy Pitchford. The thing I don't care about is flinging hateful words against a person from a video game message board. That doesn't mean I don't care or have no real point at all.

Case and point:

Peace out, Randy.

MarionCB

Wow, it's the type of drivel that's not even worth responding to. I mean, when someone is so far gone they think this is reasonable, sheesh.

What gets me is there was a dev team that did truly love Alien and wanted to make the best, true-to-the-universe lovingly-crafted Alien game possible--and they absolutely did it! But Alien Isolation must have lost a significant amount of potential sales because this lying sack of shit had recently so thoroughly trashed Aliens as a game. The world is wrong while Colonial Marines has sold more than Alien Isolation. It's just wrong.

antitrop

My point was clear from the beginning. I'd rather discuss what was said rather than focusing only on who said it. There is nothing holier then thou about that and it is not pointless. But it is not a fruitful endeavor because it is clear the only thing everyone else wants to discuss is how much they hate Randy Pitchford. The thing I don't care about is flinging hateful words against a person from a video game message board. That doesn't mean I don't care or have no real point at all.

Case and point:
The only brick wall to a discussion here is your own ego.

You want to bitch about the behavior of a thread from the safety of a bubble? Open a Twitter account. If you post in here, you're gonna be part of the discussion.

Wow, it's the type of drivel that's not even worth responding to. I mean, when someone is so far gone they think this is reasonable, sheesh.

What gets me is there was a dev team that did truly love Alien and wanted to make the best, true-to-the-universe lovingly-crafted Alien game possible--and they absolutely did it! But Alien Isolation must have lost a significant amount of potential sales because this lying sack of shit had recently so thoroughly trashed Aliens as a game. The world is wrong while Colonial Marines has sold more than Alien Isolation. It's just wrong.

That can't be true...

Colonial Marines didn't sell through better than Isolation. Please tell me that isn't so.

antitrop

That can't be true...

Colonial Marines didn't sell through better than Isolation. Please tell me that isn't so.

Isolation broke 2 million sales in May of this year.

I think Colonial Marines is somewhere between 1-1.5 million.

EDIT: Colonial Marines was at 1.31 million by the end of 2013, according to Sega. So... who knows. It's safe to say that Alien Isolation sold better than Colonial Marines in a comparable retail window, though. That's fair.

MarionCB

Isolation broke 2 million sales in March of this year.

Ah, I hadn't heard that AI broke 2 million; I was remembering the 1 million announcement from January. I'm very happy to be wrong!

NoWayOut

Keep on digging Randy!

stop_digging.jpg

Yarbskoo

“You may know us from such quality games as James Bond Nightfire and Aliens Colonial Marines,” he said.

I'm confused. Does he actually think Colonial Marines is a quality game? I would have assumed he was joking, but Nightfire is actually a great game. Maybe he mentions it because Gearbox only made the PC port?

Surely he doesn't think Colonial Marines was a great game that people didn't like because they just enjoy hating on things. Because then he would need to explain how games that people actually do enjoy exist. Like Alien: Isolation.

Hektor

That can't be true...

Isolation broke 2 million sales in May of this year.

EDIT: Colonial Marines was at 1.31 million by the end of 2013, according to Sega. So... who knows. It's safe to say that Alien Isolation sold better than Colonial Marines in a comparable retail window, though. That's fair.

Dunno about consoles but on PC Colonial Marines counts 355,715 ± 13,782 owners http://steamspy.com/app/49540

While Isolation counts 526,351 ± 16,759 owners.
http://steamspy.com/app/214490

Nuke Soda

I'm confused. Does he actually think Colonial Marines is a quality game? I would have assumed he was joking, but Nightfire is actually a great game. Maybe he mentions it because Gearbox only made the PC port?

Surely he doesn't think Colonial Marines was a great game that people didn't like because they just enjoy hating on things. Because then he would need to explain how games that people actually do enjoy exist. Like Alien: Isolation.

When you make something, or in this case lie about making something you do tend to be biased about it.

Omega

Banned
“You may know us from such quality games as James Bond Nightfire and Aliens Colonial Marines,” he said.

See Randy, this is where you fucked up.

You need to learn how to troll properly. Take lessons from Tom Penny, dude is a master at it.

That's a mighty fine sandcastle of toxic, fung infected shit you've got going on over there, Randy. But, I shall respect it and leave it be. Despite it's shitty, eye melting aroma.

some people are sadists
Well... I finished Aliens: Colonial Marines, so I'd say that's an accurate description of me.

Seriously though, the balls on this guy. He releases such piles of shit and he thinks the negative reactions are a good thing? I don't believe it for a second.

Valkrai

Exactly, what the hell is he talking about?

There's some differences between the Eurocom and Gearbox version so I assume he's taking credit for the little work they did on Nightfire. Complete bullshit on Colonial Marines, that was not good.

Randy please, just stop.

Edit: You think they would just use Borderlands as examples of quality games.

Nabbis

Once again the only appropriate thing to say is "Shut the fuck up Randy". The guy or his pr coach is clearly eating shrooms.

Top Bottom