• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - In depth details (Game Informer)

Verendus

Banned
Our Godzilla in the Pacific,
Hallowed be thy name.
Your TPS come,
Your will be done,
On PS4, as it is on Xbox One,
Give us on these days our desired metacritic score,
For Quantum, Uncharted, and Gears of War.
And forgive us our desire,
As we also have forgiven our transgressors.
And lead us not into first person,
But deliver us from open world.
We pray to you Lawd-Zilla,
Rock this world like the Thrilla in Manila.

Amen.

Sucks these days I have to hope SP in games will end up decent or not.

For me it's not so much if it's going to be decent, I have faith in that. But when I read things like that... It makes me scared that the campaign won't last too long and that would be a huge shame. I like Gears MP, but for me it's always been more about the campaign to be honest. I really do dig Horde though. None of the three Gears games were really short, so if Gears 4 is similar to those.... I'm good. I just don't get why they say the emphasis is bigger on MP, where it was only 10% with the first Gears. Why even mention the first one at all when the other three has a huge emphasis on MP already?

Dragun619

Not particularly hyped about the game, but I am curious to where they'll take it from here. Kinda just felt the third entry was enough gears for me.

This

Sounds like the opposite of fun. Nevermind the absurdity of it as far as physics are concerned but just why? Will be waiting to see this system inaction but reading about it like this I'm not a fan of the idea at all.

I mean, it seems like a mechanic to push the player forward into melee situations or try to shorten the distance between them and the enmey to land better shots, rather picking them off from a distance.

But I dont think gears ever needed a mechanic like that since levels were pretty enclosed/small areas, but maybe there's just big open areas in the game, that require this?

Figments

Hallowed be thy name.
Your TPS come,
Your will be done,

Amen.

BravoClap.gif

I realize I'm putting way too much thought into this, but is there a reason why humanity is an endangered species if they've already colonized multiple planets? Aren't there off-planet governments or people who can help?

Not sure how easy space travel is in the Gears universe.

Wedzi

Banned
Well with Mass Effect missing this year so I have a big emergence sized hole to fill this holiday. Really excited for couch co op. My brothers and I will really enjoy this.

SmugSnake

Neo Member
I realize I'm putting way too much thought into this, but is there a reason why humanity is an endangered species if they've already colonized multiple planets? Aren't there off-planet governments or people who can help?

What makes you think they've colonized planets? Their tech level isn't much more advanced than ours, space travel/colonies are never mentioned etc. Unless they mention space travel in the books or something I don't know why people would think they have space travel - or at least space travel advanced enough to colonize planets.

Warxard

Banned

There hasn't been off world colonization at all. They're all they know of and even if they could travel out of Sera they have no fuel.

What makes you think they've colonized planets? Their tech level isn't much more advanced than ours, space travel/colonies are never mentioned etc. Unless they mention space travel in the books or something I don't know why people would think they have space travel - or at least space travel advanced enough to colonize planets.

The planet in Gears 1-3 is not Earth, it's one called Sera, I think. Home to the single most unlucky population of humans.

EDIT: It's probably just me overthinking things. For some reason I always assumed that Earth existed in the Gears universe, but maybe Sera is just a replacement for Earth.

Kid Goku

Banned
Incredibly excited for this. I mostly played Gears for Horde.

The only thing I really dislike with Gears is the running animation. I hope they improve that too.
Other than that, man the horror elements is exactly what I wanted. Hope to see some footage soon.

Usually GI releases the scans as high resolution screenshots later in the month, don't they? I saw some scans but you really can't see a lot.

Zeta Oni

The planet in Gears 1-3 is not Earth, it's one called Sera, I think. Home to the single most unlucky population of humans.

I'm pretty sure Sera IS earth, or at least the in universe equivalent.

They really don't have planet colonization level tech, at least in nothing I've ever played/read.

Edit: Saw edit, you got it.

I would LOVE a Gears of War FPS game that takes place during the pendulum wars. Like, a battlefield or call of duty clone. Who's with me? FINGERS CROSSED.

-Big emphasis on multiplayer, saying original Gears development was 90% SP, 10% MP

No idea, it was only 10% but so glad its an even bigger focus now as that is what makes Gears imo xD

The weather effects also sounds similar to the Books Stormlight Archives.

Moofers

They are better than paid DLC. Never spent a cent on Halo 5 and never thought it was necessary. You earn point easily. People who played Halo 5, and thinks DLC is better than having RAQ system. Well, those people are just clueless.

So if having RAQ points system we get all new content for free. Fuck yeah, double down on that shit.

I strongly disagree. I would much rather pay for the occasional map than have to load up a game and not have all the weapons I want accessible to me at any time. When I play horde in Gears 3, I have a routine that I like to establish. I have certain weapons I rely on, certain fortifications, and certain strategies. When you lock those things behind burnable one time use cards or packs or whatever, you are restricting my opportunity to plan and Play the game the way that I want to play it.

I was on a team that chased the top of the leaderboards for horde mode. When you go into a game and you're not able to have all the weapons you want, I can see that feeling like a waste of time. You want every run to potentially be better than the last. These are 2+ hour commitments. So what if you had a great run using the sniper rifle or the boomshot and you load the game up again and you want to top that but you don't have any burn cards for boomshots or sniper rifles? Imagine being stuck with just a boltok pistol or some basic loadout weapon. You're either going to grind out some useless matches with this non-ideal loadout, or you're going to pay for some of the stuff via micro transaction. I'll take one time payment for maps over that shit any day of the week. At least with that system I can always count on being able to expect the same weapons, the same fortifications, and thus the same opportunities to play the game the way that I want to play it.

pizzacat

Banned
There's mention in the OP of an upgraded version that uses weapons, that'll probably be it.
The upgraded version is just a locust drone. You can see with that image they put in the video it looked like a pre evolved rager from judgment

latest

RexNovis

Banned
I mean, it seems like a mechanic to push the player forward into melee situations or try to shorten the distance between them and the enmey to land better shots, rather picking them off from a distance.

But I dont think gears ever needed a mechanic like that since levels were pretty enclosed/small areas, but maybe there's just big open areas in the game, that require this?

That actually makes a lot of sense. Like I said at first glance this seems like a really odd mechanic but I'll have to wait and see it in action to tell for sure. If there are legit gameplay reasons for its addition like youve stated above then I would see no problem with it.

EDIT: It's probably just me overthinking things. For some reason I always assumed that Earth existed in the Gears universe, but maybe Sera is just a replacement for Earth.

Nope, Sera is the Gears universes versio of earth. They only can space travel like we do, but exploration of the universe was never a priority since they have always been at war.

Only reference there is about their solar system, is from Benjie in Gears 2, when they talk about the origin of the Locusts. "This one guy in Basic, he thought that they came from Risea or one of the moons." (Risea was an unknown celestial body, planet)

Nuke Soda

Hallowed be thy name.
Your TPS come,
Your will be done,

Amen.

This post gets two thumbs up.

I really like the sound of the setting.

The idea of the story taking place in a 24 hour time span is interesting. They're going to need to nail the pacing for it to work.

JimiNutz

Banned
To be honest, I grew tired of Gears after 3 and I've moved away from the Xbox brand in general (barely use my Xbox One).

This however is exactly what I wanted to hear for Gears 4 though and I expect the series to draw me back in.

I strongly disagree. I would much rather pay for the occasional map than have to load up a game and not have all the weapons I want accessible to me at any time. When I play horde in Gears 3, I have a routine that I like to establish. I have certain weapons I rely on, certain fortifications, and certain strategies. When you lock those things behind burnable one time use cards or packs or whatever, you are restricting my opportunity to plan and Play the game the way that I want to play it.

I was on a team that chased the top of the leaderboards for horde mode. When you go into a game and you're not able to have all the weapons you want, I can see that feeling like a waste of time. You want every run to potentially be better than the last. These are 2+ hour commitments. So what if you had a great run using the sniper rifle or the boomshot and you load the game up again and you want to top that but you don't have any burn cards for boomshots or sniper rifles? Imagine being stuck with just a boltok pistol or some basic loadout weapon. You're either going to grind out some useless matches with this non-ideal loadout, or you're going to pay for some of the stuff via micro transaction. I'll take one time payment for maps over that shit any day of the week. At least with that system I can always count on being able to expect the same weapons, the same fortifications, and thus the same opportunities to play the game the way that I want to play it.

Amen man, amen.

I'm very worried that Gears 4 will implement a system like Halo 5 that hurts my overall enjoyment of the game. Time will tell, o don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'll be very, very sad if it has a req-type system.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is coming to Windows 10 as well, yes? As a PC-only gamer, of all the XB1 exclusives, this is the one I'm really looking forward to playing on W10.

Top Bottom